Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bethea

GoColts8818

I just wanted to take a moment and sing the praises of maybe our best player on defense and maybe our most unnoticed player. With all due respect to Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, and Powers I really think Bethea is our best player on defense. I am going to barrow from Stampede Blue because they are the ones who got me thinking about this but since 2009 no player in the NFL has more tackles than him and during that time he is third in the NFL in solo tackles and hasn't missed a game. Despite all the bad contracts Polian handed out towards the end the fact Bethea signed a very reasonable deal gets lost. I know a lot of Colts fans are starting to sing the praises more and more of Bethea but I just wanted to do it again because he's the one guy we've been able to count on every game on defense. Still it seems like he always gets lost in the shadows rather it be Bob Sanders or other players on defense. We have so many holes on this team it's nice to know we have a guy in Bethea we can count on. I hope Bethea breaks out and gets the national attention he deserves because while I would agree a guy like Ed Reed is still better than Bethea that list of safeties in the NFL better than him is getting shorter and shorter every year.

I just wanted to take a moment and sing the praises of maybe our best player on defense and maybe our most unnoticed player. With all due respect to Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, and Powers I really think Bethea is our best player on defense. I am going to barrow from Stampede Blue because they are the ones who got me thinking about this but since 2009 no player in the NFL has more tackles than him and during that time he is third in the NFL in solo tackles and hasn't missed a game. Despite all the bad contracts Polian handed out towards the end the fact Bethea signed a very reasonable deal gets lost. I know a lot of Colts fans are starting to sing the praises more and more of Bethea but I just wanted to do it again because he's the one guy we've been able to count on every game on defense. Still it seems like he always gets lost in the shadows rather it be Bob Sanders or other players on defense. We have so many holes on this team it's nice to know we have a guy in Bethea we can count on. I hope Bethea breaks out and gets the national attention he deserves because while I would agree a guy like Ed Reed is still better than Bethea that list of safeties in the NFL better than him is getting shorter and shorter every year.

definitly agree, I am also hoping he has another 4 or so interceptions like he did in 2009

IMO Bethea is a very good safety, no complaints/ all praise, but Mathis and Freeney are elite pass rushers. they affect the outcome of the game more than safeties do. They are our best players on defense.

Bad run D's get safety's getting a lot of tackles.

Nature of the game....

And why Bob is ..... gone. Too many hits.

I don't disagree with that. With that said bethea is still making the plays it's not his fault the guys in front of him struggle. If he wasn't as good at his job the run d would be much worse. Also thats why the fact he hasnt missed a game over that time is significant it shows that he is durable, he's the only starter in our secondary not to miss at least one game due to injury in the past three years. Yes there are reasons those numbers are high and it's not good. With that said I am just giving bethea credit for being good at his job regardless of the reason he has to be.