Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney Talks to media 6-14-2012

Gavin

There have been a lot of Freeney haters on the board recently and I don't know why. People keep saying that he is hating the change and doesn't want to play in a 3-4 and wants to be traded and all that, but they have no links or credible sources. Freeney has never once said he wants to be traded and has never said he hates the change or that he is unwilling to play in the 3-4. Sure, his salary is high, but it's very possible that he is worth it depending on how he does in the 3-4. If he plays like Suggs, which Pagano envisions, it'll be worth it

There have been a lot of Freeney haters on the board recently and I don't know why. People keep saying that he is hating the change and doesn't want to play in a 3-4 and wants to be traded and all that, but they have no links or credible sources. Freeney has never once said he wants to be traded and has never said he hates the change or that he is unwilling to play in the 3-4. Sure, his salary is high, but it's very possible that he is worth it depending on how he does in the 3-4. If he plays like Suggs, which Pagano envisions, it'll be worth it

I agree, also I admit Im still not sure about this and wont be suprised if he struggles, I would love for him to be successful with it, yes his salary is high , I also dont know one way or the other if he will finish his career as a Colt, I could definitly see him doing that although at a much smaller price unless he just lights it up out on the field, question I wonder is if he does well, do we still draft his replacement early in the draft next year because lets face it he isn't getting any younger or do we draft a linebacker in the later rounds to learn behind him, Im more of the mindset to draft a linebacker within the first 2 rounds, preferably the second given how many good ones are coming out, time will give us all these answers though

I agree, also I admit Im still not sure about this and wont be suprised if he struggles, I would love for him to be successful with it, yes his salary is high , I also dont know one way or the other if he will finish his career as a Colt, I could definitly see him doing that although at a much smaller price unless he just lights it up out on the field, question I wonder is if he does well, do we still draft his replacement early in the draft next year because lets face it he isn't getting any younger or do we draft a linebacker in the later rounds to learn behind him, Im more of the mindset to draft a linebacker within the first 2 rounds, preferably the second given how many good ones are coming out, time will give us all these answers though

I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles either and in fact, one could argue that we should expect him to struggle. He played as a DE in college and a DE for his first 10 years in the pros. He practiced as a DE every single day and now, you suddenly ask him to change everything. I'm not saying he won't do well (I actually think he will do a decent job), but you've got to cut him some slack.

As for drafting his replacement, I say we go CB as early as possible next year (Amerson, please!). We still have Hughes and Fugger behind Freeney and Mathis.

I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles either and in fact, one could argue that we should expect him to struggle. He played as a DE in college and a DE for his first 10 years in the pros. He practiced as a DE every single day and now, you suddenly ask him to change everything. I'm not saying he won't do well (I actually think he will do a decent job), but you've got to cut him some slack.

As for drafting his replacement, I say we go CB as early as possible next year (Amerson, please!). We still have Hughes and Fugger behind Freeney and Mathis.

Oh no question I am going Amerson in the first, heck I know it wouldn't have been a popular choice but I was for bringing in Janoris Jenkins in the second but I am happy with the Fleener and Allen pick, Im not sold on the other picks after that though and that includes Chapman until I see he can come back completely healthy and be an impact player. Im not opposed to Fugger or Hughes getting starting next year if the stars align that way but I would rather we draft, Devin Taylor, Brandon Jenkins or a player like those mentioned in next years draft

I think you are correct....in saying the 'hate' is due to his salary...

many feel his salary hurts us...

we love the guy who's underpaid and hate the one who's overpaid.

Its all about us.

I think you are correct....in saying the 'hate' is due to his salary...

many feel his salary hurts us...

we love the guy who's underpaid and hate the one who's overpaid.

Its all about us.

Never mind the fact that he has earned his money. 7 time Pro Bowler, 4 time All Pro, 2005 DPOY, 100+ sacks, 2000s All Decade Team, 43 forced fumbles, not to mention his intangibles like his leadership. And don't forget that without him, Mathis wouldn't have been able to do what he has done. He has never complained, never called out coaches, never thrown teammates under the bus, never come up with any excuses. The man goes to work and tries to get better every day.