Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do they call the Cowboys "America's Team"?

bap1331

Here my problem with the whole Cowboy's "America's Team" label. When was the vote taken & who anointed Jerry Jones's NFL squad with this designation? Shouldn't this label be reserved for a franchise that has actually won hardware in this decade? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time won a SB was 1996? Hardly warrants an "America's Team label to me.

Right now, I'd say the NE Patriots qualify for this label since they won their 1st SB after 911 during the start of the Bill Belicheck/Tom Brady regime & they are consistent Playoff contenders.

Jerry Jones can kiss my bleep if he thinks his franchise is seriously "America's Team." In the interest of full disclosure, I despise the Cowboys & I always will.

Why can't other teams earn that label based on their consistent Playoff appearances? Heck, why aren't the Colts in this "America's Team" conversation for that matter based on their decade of Playoff appearances?

We're the only country that plays AMERICAN football, English rugby is football and in the rest of the world soccer is football...now I'll quit picking nits.

They were Americas team because of a highlight film in 1978 that opened with this:

They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, "America's Team".

And the rest is history.......

They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, "America's Team".

Someone needs to make a TV documentary on the Indianapolis Colts with a cool voiced narrator, then we too will be "America's Team."

Someone needs to make a TV documentary on the Indianapolis Colts with a cool voiced narrator, then we too will be "America's Team."

Too bad John Facenda passed away, his nickname was "the voice of God" his is the one I think of when NFL films are playing, he would have been my pick for your highlights film.

naw i like how small our fanbase is. Its why I like being a Colts fan because it shows how much of a true fan you are. Like the Bills. lol.

I cant imagine being a Steelers, Cowboys, or Patriots fan. Every single time I see those fans, its hard to determine wether or not they are hopping on the bandwagon. Everyone thinks im a bandwagon. Ive been a fan since 05. And they saw i was a true fan after we lost the Super Bowl in 2009 and still a fan after Peyton got released. :)

I can sorta understand how the label came about and stuck for a while.

But with so many late-season vomit jobs and a long drought of playoff success such as the Cowpies have suffered since the Aikman/Smith/Irvin era.....and the ever-present drama of one sort or another....the "America's Team" label has become pretty ridiculous for anyone to apply to Dallas.

I can sorta understand how the label came about and stuck for a while.

But with so many late-season vomit jobs and a long drought of playoff success such as the Cowpies have suffered since the Aikman/Smith/Irvin era.....and the ever-present drama of one sort or another....the "America's Team" label has become pretty ridiculous for anyone to apply to Dallas.

It's like any nickname like "Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Monsters of the Midway, or Greatest Show on Turf" they had their moments they they were N/A.

Here my problem with the whole Cowboy's "America's Team" label. When was the vote taken & who anointed Jerry Jones's NFL squad with this designation? Shouldn't this label be reserved for a franchise that has actually won hardware in this decade? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time won a SB was 1996? Hardly warrants an "America's Team label to me.

Right now, I'd say the NE Patriots qualify for this label since they won their 1st SB after 911 during the start of the Bill Belicheck/Tom Brady regime & they are consistent Playoff contenders.

Jerry Jones can kiss my bleep if he thinks his franchise is seriously "America's Team." In the interest of full disclosure, I despise the Cowboys & I always will.

Why can't other teams earn that label based on their consistent Playoff appearances? Heck, why aren't the Colts in this "America's Team" conversation for that matter based on their decade of Playoff appearances?

LOL! Excellent takedown!

Anyone see a passing resemblance?

th_dallas_cowboys_logo.jpgconvair-f-106-delta-dart-550x267.jpg

Yes, this nonsense started in the 70s when the teams bandwagon was so big that people in all corners of the country were piling on, but I always assumed that the justification for the perpetuation of the silly name was the vaguely patriotic nature to the teams logo.

The irony of course is that some people in Texas seem to think that they are part of an independent country.

Anyone see a passing resemblance?

th_dallas_cowboys_logo.jpgconvair-f-106-delta-dart-550x267.jpg

Yes, this nonsense started in the 70s when the teams bandwagon was so big that people in all corners of the country were piling on, but I always assumed that the justification for the perpetuation of the silly name was the vaguely patriotic nature to the teams logo.

The irony of course is that some people in Texas seem to think that they are part of an independent country.

Amen Brother Mac!!! Amen. Common sense does not always prevail or exist in abundance for far too many people for my tastes.