Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time To Trade Donald Brown?

colts52761

Who ever made the argumenr that JJ's runs at goal line were less than 2.4 ypc is well, a dingbat to say the least. Wtheck do you think addai, brown ect have a difficult time doing at the goal line? Pounding the pigskin for touchdowns! What has JJ proven he can do? Move the pile for touchdowns! He is worth his weight in gold for goal line TD's! Colts need him for that specific purpose! How many times have we watched the colts go 3 and out because no one could push the pile for a run TD? Answer: too many!

Who ever made the argumenr that JJ's runs at goal line were less than 2.4 ypc is well, a dingbat to say the least. Wtheck do you think addai, brown ect have a difficult time doing at the goal line? Pounding the pigskin for touchdowns! What has JJ proven he can do? Move the pile for touchdowns! He is worth his weight in gold for goal line TD's! Colts need him for that specific purpose! How many times have we watched the colts go 3 and out because no one could push the pile for a run TD? Answer: too many!

Javaris is not the RB for the colts with all this competition i seriously doubt he makes the team.

Wow... Once again, time to bring everyone down to earth! :P

We have been spoiled by our RBs producing early in their careers. Just look at our top guys since we drafted Peyton:

• Marshall Faulk (2nd overall-pick in 1994)[HoF] 1,282 yards in Rookie season. (16 starts)
  • Edgerrin James (4th overall-pick in 1999) [HoF-caliber] 1,553 yards in Rookie season. (16 starts)
  • Dominic Rhodes (Out of nowhere UFA in 2001) 1,104 yards in Rookie season. (10 starts, 15 games played) [His only 1000 yard rushing season]
  • Joe Addai (30th overall-pick in 2006) 1,081 yards in Rookie season. (0 starts, 16 games played)
  • Donald Brown (27th overall-pick in 2009) 281 yards in Rookie season (0 starts, 10 games played)

^

|That is a normal rookie season for a back-up.

From his Rookie season to his Sophomore season, Donald's carries only went up to 129 from 78 (+51) his Yards went up to 497 from 281 (+216), his Per/Rush Average went up to 3.9 from 3.6 (+...never mind), his First Downs went up to 24 from 14 (+10) and his fumbles went down from 1 to 0 (-..never mind again...).

v

v

v

Here is the big Donald Brown stat everyone needs to look at:

2009 - 3 games with 10+ carries. 40 carries for 95 yards. 1 TDs. 2.4 Yards/Rush.

2010 - 7 games with 10+ carries. 100 carries for 428 yards. 2 TDs. 4.3 Yards/Rush.

^

^

^

(anyone else think it's really odd that the carries on those games came out to flat-numbers??)

You must not have seen much of him at uconn. He led the ncaa in rushing with over 2000 yrds

I was about to post that. :)

nobody give j james any credit but there is people out there that will defend brown

James was a good goal line back at the end of last season, I think everyone will admit that. But as a change of pace back behind Addai, I don't think there's much chance of that at all. I like the combo of those three backs (Addai, Brown, James), when healthy. That said, Carter has potential, and being a recent draft choice he's likely to force James out of his job, which I think is a bad move. If we could get James to the practice squad in that situation, I'd be satisfied, but I think he'd more than likely get a few offers from other teams.

Addai's poor stats are attributed to his oft injured body and poor o-line blocking.

Where is everyone getting this idea Addai had bad stats last season. 8 games played, 500 yards and a 4.3 Yards/Rush Average. (2nd highest YPR average of his career)

I like what I saw from Brown, his vision has dramatically improved and seems to be more decisive. I wish the Colts kept him in longer to really make sure he's improved that much.

My RB depth chart.

Addai

Brown

Carter

Spann (maybe, depending on how much importance that put on returns. There's going to be a ton of touchbacks this year)

I like what I saw from Brown, his vision has dramatically improved and seems to be more decisive. I wish the Colts kept him in longer to really make sure he's improved that much.

My RB depth chart.

Addai

Brown

Carter

Spann (maybe, depending on how much importance that put on returns. There's going to be a ton of touchbacks this year)

Spann = Rubbish KR. The dude choked in the first game. Showed decent RB-ability against the Rams 3rd team-ers, but that's not saying much. I'd rather keep Devin Moore if we're going for a KR at 4th RB.

Devin Moore, was he injured or something? Chad Spann or Darren Evans, only one of them makes it and that is on the PS, IMO.

Addai and Brown are more rounded backs, Carter is the short yardage one that we drafted to replace an oft injured Mike Hart, IMO.

Only 1 spot is up for grabs unless Javarris James recovers 2 ST fumbles and scores 2 TDs :-). Still need to see what Devin Moore can do. If I remember, he had the best YPC in pre-season last year, so he can run too if given the chance. So, if he can return kicks and can run just as well as Spann or Evans, no reason to have anyone other than Moore as the 4th RB.

This is the smartest post in this thread. Brown outrushed Addai last year, yeah for 2 yards but still. When he has been given room he has run well. Also his burst of speed is something that Addai doesn't have.

Nobody can run well when the Dlineman are already in the backfield when you get the ball. Even Chris Johnson couldn't do anything with our blocking.

Improve the run blocking and you will see a very good rb. As far as his blocking that is something that he can learn and improve upon.

I also think his blocking is overplayed because of that youtube clip of Manning yelling at Donald. What other plays has he messed up his blocking on?

lol sad thing is addai was hurt last season and didnt play but only 8 games

I remember people saying the same thing about mike hart....and look what happened to him

Mike hart was not a 1st round draft pick and was always injured. Brown on the other hand was showing good signs late into the season when he went down with a hammy now he's back so i think fans are gonna see much more from him.

You must not have seen much of him at uconn. He led the ncaa in rushing with over 2000 yrds

In what conference again?

Oh, that's right, the Big East. The Double A affiliate of the NCAA.

Again, I saw him more than any Colt fan not living in the New England area. I went to 4 home games his last season there (a good friend is a UConn prof), and saw several others on TV.

He was very good against a subpar conference.

Again, I saw him more than any Colt fan not living in the New England area. I went to 4 home games his last season there (a good friend is a UConn prof), and saw several others on TV.

Key part "4" not all. End of.

Which is the dumbest argument of all-time. He was from the same, sub-par recruiting pool, and had sub-par blocking, and was surrounded by sub-par teammates, yet he stood out like a star. 2,000+ rushing yards is huge no matter what conference someone is a part of.

Mike hart was not a 1st round draft pick and was always injured. Brown on the other hand was showing good signs late into the season when he went down with a hammy now he's back so i think fans are gonna see much more from him.

yeah but he was well known in michigan.....he was fast too that's why we picked him addai needed a backup anyway....he had to battle for a job against chad simpson smh terrible draft pick

What does anyone honestly think we are going to get for him? Ryan Leaf? That's about his value at this point. This is a league that multipal year pro-bowl players get traded for late round draft picks. A guy who is dangrously close to being a bust isn't going to get you anything in a trade. If another team is interested in him they will wait for the Colts to release him and sign him to a very cheap contract rather than pick up his bigger contract that he has now.

Which is the dumbest argument of all-time. He was from the same, sub-par recruiting pool, and had sub-par blocking, and was surrounded by sub-par teammates, yet he stood out like a star. 2,000+ rushing yards is huge no matter what conference someone is a part of.

Yeah, that's clearly translated to being a first-rounder in the NFL.

Oh, wait, he's not playing like one? Looks like I was right after all.

As you know, NFL RBs have the shortest life span. First round RBs are not like other positions; they are supposed to start, and be effective, immediately. To think otherwise would show a shocking ignorance.

So, if that's the case, is Brown producing like a first round RB? Nope. Heck, late rounders produce just as well as he does.

Yeah, that's clearly translated to being a first-rounder in the NFL.

Oh, wait, he's not playing like one? Looks like I was right after all.

As you know, NFL RBs have the shortest life span. First round RBs are not like other positions; they are supposed to start, and be effective, immediately. To think otherwise would show a shocking ignorance.

So, if that's the case, is Brown producing like a first round RB? Nope. Heck, late rounders produce just as well as he does.

Except when your run blocking is amongst the worst in the league....

It's easy to point the finger at Donald, cause he's got the ball and everyone is watching him. But I think the situation is a bit more complex than that. Give Chris Johnson a line that let's him get hit in the backfield on a regular basis, and he won't look so hot other....

Give Brown one more season. This season is make or break for him. I don't care if he breaks 1000 yards or not, I just want to see him do well when given the opportunities. Chances are he won't get 1000 yards since we run a backfield by committee, I just want to see him do what he did in college that made him the nation's leading rusher.