Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano on NFL32

HtownColt

That is not really true. Now what they call in the huddle is multi-layered with different names to assing responsibilties for each player. But the idea behind a cover 2/dungy 2/tamp 2 is a one gap defense.

cover 2 is a pass coverage not a play..you don't walk in a huddle and say "cover 2 ready break" the front 7 won't have a clue what their doing if that's the case it would be like "Sam fire 31 right 2" Sam blitzes 31 is one dt plays 3tech the other plays the 1 tech and the other plays 5 tech.and 2 means cover 2 in the back

cover 2 is a pass coverage not a play..you don't walk in a huddle and say "cover 2 ready break" the front 7 won't have a clue what their doing if that's the case it would be like "Sam fire 31 right 2" Sam blitzes 31 is one dt plays 3tech the other plays the 1 tech and the other plays 5 tech.and 2 means cover 2 in the back

That's what I just said.

Do a google serarch for Cover 2, Tampa 2 or Dungy 2 and read the explanations. Unlike a 3-4 or a 4-3 which is a defensive alignment the Cover 2 is a defensive scheme or philosophy.

http://footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=167

http://www.footballbabble.com/football/defense/plays/more/

http://www.bucsnation.com/2010/5/12/1466315/tampa-2-defense-explained

Those are the first few I came up with.

That's what I just said.

Do a google serarch for Cover 2, Tampa 2 or Dungy 2 and read the explanations. Unlike a 3-4 or a 4-3 which is a defensive alignment the Cover 2 is a defensive scheme or philosophy.

http://footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=167

http://www.footballbabble.com/football/defense/plays/more/

http://www.bucsnation.com/2010/5/12/1466315/tampa-2-defense-explained

Those are the first few I came up with.

I don't need to look at that I know what cover 2 is I played in a 3-4 defense in high school and in college(Texas state university) I'm pretty comfortable with my defensives.

The colts ran cover 2, and cover 3 for the most part in their pass coverages last season..they never switched it up which made it to easy on the offense that's why we gave up so many yards we were too predictable last season

I don't need to look at that I know what cover 2 is I played in a 3-4 defense in high school and in college(Texas state university) I'm pretty comfortable with my defensives.

The colts ran cover 2, and cover 3 for the most part in their pass coverages last season..they never switched it up which made it to easy on the offense that's why we gave up so many yards we were too predictable last season

Really? Because your comments tend to refute that. The SAM fire 31 right 2 does sound like a high school play so I have no doubt that you played but you don't seem to understand what people are talking about when talking about a Cover 2, so you may want to read the links provided.

The 3-4 you played is an alignment not a defense. The Cover 2 can be played from a 3-4 alignment which the Colts have done a few times under Coyer without much success.

Really? Because your comments tend to refute that. The SAM fire 31 right 2 does sound like a high school play so I have no doubt that you played but you don't seem to understand what people are talking about when talking about a Cover 2, so you may want to read the links provided.

The 3-4 you played is an alignment not a defense. The Cover 2 can be played from a 3-4 alignment which the Colts have done a few times under Coyer without much success.

I know that I know 3-4 is a alignment that's just the base alimlngment for what were going to. Cover 2 can be played in any formation heck even in 7 on 7. We just overplayed it and never switched it up last season. All I was trying to say is cover 2 means nothing to what your trying to do up front

Were Brooks and Barber in the front 4?

Were Brooks and Barber in the front 4?

No, but Sapp, Rice, Culpepper, Booger and the likes were. If a team has a front 4 that can pressure the QB without help then it makes every one else's job much easier.

Brooks and Barber were great tacklers... and that is also key to a successful T2. And a BIG reason Indy's was not successful. Most of the time.

I know that I know 3-4 is a alignment that's just the base alimlngment for what were going to. Cover 2 can be played in any formation heck even in 7 on 7. We just overplayed it and never switched it up last season. All I was trying to say is cover 2 means nothing to what your trying to do up front

huh? If your cover 2 wants to be successful then UP FRONT you better be able to get to the QB without blitzing. Because Cover 2 is simply zone D. Cover 2 has everything to do with what happens up front. No pressure... and the best CB's in the NFL will get beat eventually.

All great D's in NFL history put crazy heat on the QB.

It's zone... and it is EASY to call and play. All the DL needs to know is if they are playing straight, slanting (which Dungy's Colts did a TON), or doing stunts... and the Dungy Colts did a lot of this also.

The Colt D has been called by Steve Young as "the most vanilla D I have ever seen" and "a QB's dream to prepare for" Because there was nothing to prepare for. Line up, get the QB, and TACKLE. When it worked the Colt D was awesome. When it didn't...... ughhh

I'm glad it's gone... way to dependent upon GREAT DLmen. And they don't just fall off trees.

huh? If your cover 2 wants to be successful then UP FRONT you better be able to get to the QB without blitzing. Because Cover 2 is simply zone D. Cover 2 has everything to do with what happens up front. No pressure... and the best CB's in the NFL will get beat eventually.

All great D's in NFL history put crazy heat on the QB.

I'm talking about the cover 2 coverage. You tell a DE or DT cover 2 that means absolutely nothing to him

No, it's not a prevent defense.

Or, using your defintion then every defense is a prevent defense because the idea is the prevent the other team from scoring.

Most teams have a version of Cover-2 late in the game...

Bt some early down defenses are tight on the wide outs...and match their CB talent against WR talent...

WE (in the past) did not do that////.

I see the old Indy Cover-2 and the Bears Cover-2. The Lovie/Dungy connection

..and what works' better for the bears 1s 1.) Brian Urlacher.....and Lance Briggs at LB

are better (and move experineced) at dropping into the space vacated by the 2-deep safeties..

..and 2.) There are very adept at stripping the ball.The Bears are No.1 in the NFL in takeaways in the last 6 years

But we arent alone. Bears fans have the same complaints that Colts fans do.

That they ALLOW short completions, prevent anything long and then attack the receivers...

That's why it is termed a 'defense is built to play with the lead'

But the phrase PREVENT DEFENSE means prevent the long completion

The version of the cover 2 zone coverage we ran was basically a prevent defense. You can call it what you want "tomato,tomato" prevent defense is defined like this:

"In this case the defense will pull back into what is called a soft zone. They will most likely play in a nickel, dime, or quarter package. A soft zone means that all the safeties and cornerbacks are playing back, five or ten yards off the line of scrimmage. The free safety will often play as much as 20 yards back. There will be no jamming of receivers on the line. The zone means that each defensive back is responsible for an area of the field, so they're all watching the quarterback's eyes instead of running stride for stride with a receiver. It is very easy for the offense to make short plays against this defense, gaining four to eight yards per play, but it's almost impossible for the offense to make a big play of 20 or more yards against this sort of defense."

Now you can call it what you want but it was a cover 2 prevent defense for the most part. That defense is just too easy for NFL offenses.too predictable everybody lines up in the same spot every play rarely blitz I'm just glad it's gone and now we can mix it up with different alignments and pressure packages

Most teams have a version of Cover-2 late in the game...

Bt some early down defenses are tight on the wide outs...and match their CB talent against WR talent...

WE (in the past) did not do that////.

I see the old Indy Cover-2 and the Bears Cover-2. The Lovie/Dungy connection

..and what works' better for the bears 1s 1.) Brian Urlacher.....and Lance Briggs at LB

are better (and move experineced) at dropping into the space vacated by the 2-deep safeties..

..and 2.) There are very adept at stripping the ball.The Bears are No.1 in the NFL in takeaways in the last 6 years

But we arent alone. Bears fans have the same complaints that Colts fans do.

That they ALLOW short completions, prevent anything long and then attack the receivers...

That's why it is termed a 'defense is built to play with the lead'

But the phrase PREVENT DEFENSE means prevent the long completion

You're wrong, the cover 2 is not a prevent defense. There are numerous reasons for this and I don't really have time to go into all of them. Just because it's designed to keep players in front of you does not mean it's a prevent.

A prevent defense rushes 2 or 3, rarely 4 (unless they are going with 4 and 7 DBs) players and then has levels for the players to drop. Lbers drops 10-15 yards from the LOS. CBs are in the 15-25 yard range and then the safeties are responsible for not letting anyone get behind them. It's called a prevent defense, not because it prevents the long pass but because it is to prevent a desperation play from resulting in a TD.

That is why they have different words (prevent/cover) to describe them because they are different. Cover 2 is a defensive system that is based on single gap responsbility on running plays and zone coverage on passing plays while relying on the front 4 to generate pressure on the QB. The prevent D is described above.

Of course having Freeny and Mathis on the ends is going to be a "repected" weapon on the defense, but after stoppng the opposing offense from advancing early can only(in my opinion) be answered by having a brusing running back run the ball down the throats of the opposing defenses. I really miss a good running game. I guess we can all agree that running the ball, even 4 yards at a time, can influence the game to our favor. Coach, I hope that this is the plan!!! Go Blue!