Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Better or worse?

Superman

I don't believe either of those guys are projected to start, though. As compared to last year, we'll have the same starting LG this season as last season (Reitz), and depending on whether or not you think Ijalana will be an upgrade from Diem - 10 starts / Pollak - 5 starts / Tepper - 1 start (personally I don't think the Diem/Pollak/Tepper hodgepodge set the bar high at all), RG is where we would potentially be much improved from last year. Most people also would probably think Reitz will be better this season as last season was his first as a starter and he has yet to reach his ceiling as a football player.

That being said, I am in agreement that I would have liked to see us draft a guard in the first half of the draft. I was one who wanted Corby Glenn with our 2nd round pick.

Diem wasnt no pro bowler I dont believe but early on up until the last year or two of his career he was pretty good, Reitz also scares the heck out of me anywhere that man plays the man hasnt proven he can pass block to save his life, Id say outside of Satele and Castonzo other O Line positions are kinda up in the air, I will say this though, I believe the O Line strategy was flawed as well, we had them always backing up all the time even in run plays ya cant win having your O Linemen backtrack all the time

Sure, you can argue they're better, but as others have said, that's not saying much. You couldn't get much worse. This was a pathetically weak team, devoid of talent. Only the likes of Manning could win with such a team. Can a 22 year old Luck do the same? I doubt it. It's going to take time to build this thing,

Sure, you can argue they're better, but as others have said, that's not saying much. You couldn't get much worse. This was a pathetically weak team, devoid of talent. Only the likes of Manning could win with such a team. Can a 22 year old Luck do the same? I doubt it. It's going to take time to build this thing,

Nobody is a bigger fan of Peyton Manning than myself, but I think you are seriously underestimating the complete ineptitude of 'Grandpa' Kerry Collins and Curtis 'The House' Painter. As many have said, with even a guy like Rex Grossman we still probably win a good 5 games or so.

I think we're worse at DL and better at LB simply because we've moved Mathis and Freeney. I don't know how you can take Mathis and Freeney away from a DL and get better, sorry.. :D

We're not taking them away from the defensive line. They'll still play end.

We're not taking them away from the defensive line. They'll still play end.

Yup. Nickel End, 3-4 OLB.....pretty much the same thing. People get too hung up on the terminology and fail to realize, they're still going to be doing the same thing, rushing the passer.

I like the way you put that. Cover 2 in and of itself isn't the problem. The problem was the way Coyer was using it. I've never seen any NFL defense do what we did last season.

For instance, against the Bengals, in the first quarter, they went trips left, iso right, and one back in the backfield. Powers is outside by himself playing eight yards off, Sims takes a few steps that way, but stays tight to the line. No safety rotates over the top. They throw a quick screen to a receiver on the left, Powers gets blocked out of the play, and no one gets over there to take the ball carrier down until he picks up the first down about fifteen yards later. What kind of defense is that? When a team goes trips, we don't even flinch in the direction of the bunch? It was infuriating watching our "defense" last season.

17-21 for Dalton in the 'dink and dunk says it all about Coyer's lax (putting it lightly) Cover Nobody defense.

In all fairness before Coyer showed up we still lacked talent on defense and were still playing that bend until we break 8-10 yards off cover 2, Polian is the one here to blame, lets not forget Dungy also installed it when we clearly werent built for that, Quite honestly at this point Im not sure what we were built for but it certainly wasnt Cover 2

You know Angerer and Conner weren't rookies last year, right? It was their second year, and they got the benefit of a full offseason in 2010. Of course more coaching will help them and all the young players on the team. Just pointing out that they weren't thrown to the wolves with no OTAs.

Since my post NEVER indicted that they were rookies, then the answer should be obvious. :hmm: Off season training is not just for rookies, anyways. ALL players benefit from it, but it is especially important for young DEVELOPING players (which Angerer and Conner are). Or are you suggesting it takes only one full off-season for a player to learn all he needs to know about the NFL game?

Yup. Nickel End, 3-4 OLB.....pretty much the same thing. People get too hung up on the terminology and fail to realize, they're still going to be doing the same thing, rushing the passer.

...and not tackling (especially Freeney).

Since my post NEVER indicted that they were rookies, then the answer should be obvious. :hmm: Off season training is not just for rookies, anyways. ALL players benefit from it, but it is especially important for young DEVELOPING players (which Angerer and Conner are). Or are you suggesting it takes only one full off-season for a player to learn all he needs to know about the NFL game?

Whoa.

I was just clarifying.