Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best of both worlds

jemack

Ok, so far AR isn't the Jalen Hurts the Colts hoped for. And he isn't going anywhere for the next couple of years. Flacco seems to have a decent grasp of the offense so why not interchange the two during the games. From what I've seen, it doesn't take Flacco long to find his throwing rhythm. And AR will still get his experience.

I think it would be our best short term solution for winning.

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Winning what getting blasted as the 7 seed in the WC? This team isn’t close to being contender.

So it's SB or bust for you? It must be excruciating for you to be a sports fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jemack said:

So it's SB or bust for you? It must be excruciating for you to be a sports fan.

A lot of people believe playing Flacco will come at the expense of developing AR. I firmly believe you have to let him play through the bad and let him work it out.  There is a saying that if you have two starting QBs, you really have none. Flacco was brought in here to back up AR if he is injured. That’s basically it unless AR absolutely implodes and clearly shows he shouldnt be in the game. We aren’t there and not really close. 

I say all this as someone who thinks AR is never going to be a franchise QB and it was a huge mistake to draft him. Still, the Colts did and have a plan for him so I’m on board. It’s what the team is doing so we should probably just accept it.  Richardson is playing until he sinks or swims. I’m ok with that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

A lot of people believe playing Flacco will come at the expense of developing AR. I firmly believe you have to let him play through the bad and let him work it out.  There is a saying that if you have two starting QBs, you really have none. Flacco was brought in here to back up AR if he is injured. That’s basically it unless AR absolutely implodes and clearly shows he shouldnt be in the game. We aren’t there and not really close. 

I say all this as someone who thinks AR is never going to be a franchise QB and it was a huge mistake to draft him. Still, the Colts did and have a plan for him so I’m on board. It’s what the team is doing so we should probably just accept it.  Richardson is playing until he sinks or swims. I’m ok with that. 

And that's fine, for you.  But does anyone know what this plan is? Hope?

The window will be closing soon for JT and we have nothing close to his level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jemack said:

And that's fine, for you.  But does anyone know what this plan is? Hope?

The window will be closing soon for JT and we have nothing close to his level. 

Exactly what I've been silently thinking 😞 JT is really good. But how many years will we have with him?

This team would've been soooo good if luck is gutted out his dark time 😔. We have a long road ahead.. had a QB and nothing else and just swapped.. it'll swap again in a few years

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Exactly what I've been silently thinking 😞 JT is really good. But how many years will we have with him?

This team would've been soooo good if luck is gutted out his dark time 😔. We have a long road ahead.. had a QB and nothing else and just swapped.. it'll swap again in a few years

Cheer up, buckaroo. Ballard will find us a RB gem through FA. 😂

Seriously, we feel you pain.

39 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Regarding we aren't there and we're not really close - I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't think Richardson can afford to turn the home fans and the media against him but things are trending in that direction. Somebody needs to give him some media relations coaching this week and he needs to take it to heart. He can't complete only 10 passes in a full game, have the tapping out thing, lose the game, and then talk with a smile on his face about how he feels he's a great passer, has been a QB his whole life, is the second best rushing QB, and is a different kind of quarterback then everyone else. If he has more games and post-games like yesterday, it's going to get really ugly.  

17 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Regarding we aren't there and we're not really close - I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't think Richardson can afford to turn the home fans and the media against him but things are trending in that direction. Somebody needs to give him some media relations coaching this week and he needs to take it to heart. He can't complete only 10 passes in a full game, have the tapping out thing, lose the game, and then talk with a smile on his face about how he feels he's a great passer, has been a QB his whole life, is the second best rushing QB, and is a different kind of quarterback then everyone else. If he has more games and post-games like yesterday, it's going to get really ugly.  

I believe if this game were played at LOS, he and the offense (aside from JT) would have been booed. From what I've seen, AR seems to be a fine young man. But this last presser, he seemed defensive and a bit of a narcissist. The key to growing as a person and a QB is to hear yourself say "There needs to be improvement on my part". Hearing it from coaches and fans does nothing for his development.

Here's hoping pride doesn't become a factor, like with Jeff George.

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree that you have to play AR, and that was the plan from the beginning.  Ballard confirmed it by not bringing in experienced DBs to help the young secondary.  

I won't agree with you YET that AR is never going to be a franchise QB.  He has less experience than any QB in the NFL if you count their college games.  He's no Andrew Luck, not too many are, but our hope is that he's a Josh Allen who took a couple years to develop.

And I'm convinced that Shane is splitting his play calling - some strictly to help develop AR into a passer at the detriment of moving the sticks.  I think that's why we don't see AR using his real gifts until the second half when we're usually behind.