Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Goals this year?

Patrick Miller

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know about Ballard hiring Saleh. (Side point: I don't understand why we've collectively decided that Ballard has the last word on the DC. Maybe I'm being stubborn on this, but I think it's a misconception. I'm not questioning that he has significant input, though.) But Saleh comes from the same branch of the Cover 3 tree as Bradley, so I actually see it as being a possibility, especially compared with hiring someone who runs a man coverage scheme. I'll also add that while the idea is very intriguing, I don't know enough about Saleh's play calling to fully commit to wanting him as our DC, but I'm pretty sure that he's nowhere near as rigid as Gus. 

I agree about the "run it back" plan. I understand why they decided to run it back, I don't think they needed to commit more money to it, though. Even if you want to keep Moore and Stewart, you didn't really have to extend Franklin. But we've had that conversation already. We're basically committed to our defensive core through 2025, which coincides with the Richardson timeline, and presumably the Ballard timeline.

Even with the defensive roster we have, I don't think it's as bad as some of the results have been. I think the defense is poorly coached. Some of the issues go back to the offseason -- tackling, blown assignments, etc. Others could be adjusted in five minutes, IMO. I'm also not super concerned about age and regression; we're talking about guys who are 29/30, not 33/34. Injuries happen to everyone. And Franklin isn't regressing; he's never been good in coverage, and he was undisciplined in the first couple games. 

But yeah, we need difference makers on defense at important positions, preferably cost-controlled guys with high ceilings. And while I don't think we need Sauce Gardner at corner, we definitely need better players for someone like Saleh to have real success. 

I'm not worried about the offense at all. That side of the ball is all about the QB. Sure, I'll take a dynamic TE, but that's not holding back our production right now. 

I don't really get this either. The Flus hiring was a unique circumstance, but McDaniels actually hired Flus. And Reich seemed to agree that retaining those coaches was the right thing to do.

And Reich was here when Bradley was hired, so he must have had a big say (considering they were both extended not long before that).

And Steichen has publicly signed off on Bradley several times.

The rumor that Ballard told Steichen he had to keep Bradley seems like a much more recent development too. 

• Like 1

Just now, shasta519 said:

I don't really get this either. The Flus hiring was a unique circumstance, but McDaniels actually hired Flus. And Reich seemed to agree that retaining those coaches was the right thing to do.

And Reich was here when Bradley was hired, so he must have had a big say (considering they were both extended not long before that).

The rumor that Ballard told Steichen he had to keep Bradley seems like a much more recent development too. 

There were rumors that when flus left no one wanted the job. That Bradley was one of theirs last choices.

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He can win some games by being a running threat, so far that hasnt been sustainable for long though.  

So you just leave out the big play potential he keeps hitting with pierce?  I would also add Downs is back now and has games under his belt. He didn’t have him the first two games.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So you just leave out the big play potential he keeps hitting with pierce?

I doubt we win many without a short or medium passing game.  Throw it deep or run every play probably wont work for long

37 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Not very many. Flacco is legit qb. AR is an athletic freak but hes not accurate….he’s going to cost us games.

Is it possible that the Colts disagree with your assessment? 

Or are you so convinced that the team can't win with Richardson, that their decision not to bench him must mean that they're tanking? 

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There were rumors that when flus left no one wanted the job. That Bradley was one of theirs last choices.

None substantiated. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Or are you so convinced that the team can't win with Richardson, that their decision not to bench him must mean that they're tanking? 

None substantiated. 

Sounds like a weird thing...considering the hype around that Colts team heading into 2022. I am sure Ballard had a short list, but hard to believe people were turning down a chance to be the DC on a team that appeared to be on a good trajectory, with some good pieces on defense.

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Sounds like a weird thing...considering the hype around that Colts team heading into 2022. I am sure Ballard had a short list, but hard to believe people were turning down a chance to be the DC on a team that appeared to be on a good trajectory, with some good pieces on defense.

Yeah, sounds like nonsense that people make up on Twitter. 

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Defensive guys probably saw Reich as a lame duck. Why attach your self to that. 

Reich was beginning the first year of a four year contract extension. No one saw Reich as a lame duck going into 2022.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, sounds like nonsense that people make up on Twitter. 

Happens a lot unfortunately. It's become a very narrative-driven platform...sports, politics, etc.

Colts Twitter is a bit of an echo chamber too. 

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think they are willing to gamble on Richardson getting better with reps and winning takes a back seat. After all they took him with the fourth pick…..they have to validate that right? So I don’t necessarily think they are tanking but in my opinion, they’re not doing everything they can do to win. Do you honestly think the Colts believe they have a better chance with AR than they do Flacco at winning games THIS year? What’s your opinion/thoughts on what their mindset is? 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think they are willing to gamble on Richardson getting better with reps and winning takes a back seat. After all they took him with the fourth pick…..they have to validate that right? So I don’t necessarily think they are tanking but in my opinion, they’re not doing everything they can do to win. Do you honestly think the Colts believe they have a better chance with AR than they do Flacco at winning games THIS year? What’s your opinion/thoughts on what their mindset is? 

Flacco is still surprisingly good but regarding AR, I think he can win 9 or 10 games as well as long as Taylor comes back healthy. I am good with either QB but IMO you are underestimating how good AR is. He was the one that got us up 17-0 vs Pitt. 

7 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

You're missing the point, and I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not.

There is no reasonable path to contention with Joe Flacco. The Richardson project is about trying to develop a potential franchise QB, with whom we can contend. You're acting like it's a binary proposition -- either win now with Flacco, or lose now with Richardson -- and everyone knows that's not the case. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

There is no reasonable path to contention with Joe Flacco. The Richardson project is about trying to develop a potential franchise QB, with whom we can contend. You're acting like it's a binary proposition -- either win now with Flacco, or lose now with Richardson -- and everyone knows that's not the case. 

I would argue that it could be the case if our defense starts being competent.  We have a good offense with Flacco and hopefully Taylor returning. Do you think the colts aren’t good enough overall?

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Colts have better chance to contend with Richardson now than they do with Flacco. Sure, the chance is not very high, but pretty much the only way I see us being highly competitive right now is if Richardson starts to consistently string games where he plays like he did in the second half of the Rams game, or the game vs the Steelers before he got hurt. I don't think Joe Flacco can provide the high end outcomes, even this season, let alone in the long-term. 

And yes, maybe the downside for the current season is lower with AR than with Flacco, too... but this is not what this team should be chasing. High floor gets you nothing. It gets you .500 record. It gets you the previous 3 years before we drafted AR. I thought we were done with this pointless wandering and hamster wheeling. 

Priority no. 1, no. 2,, no. 3 for this team right now should be developing AR and figuring out if he's the guy. ANYTHING else should take a back seat. (unless we think we have legit chance of contention with Flacco... which I cannot believe anyone does) :dunno:

• Like 2

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I would argue that it could be the case if our defense starts being competent.  We have a good offense with Flacco and hopefully Taylor returning. Do you think the colts aren’t good enough overall?

The Colts are NOT good enough overall. We have atrocious defensive back group. We have underperforming LB core... we have had trouble stopping the run and last game we had trouble creating pressure too. This is not a good enough team for us to hope that Flacco can... Nick Foles us to a Superbowl... 

• Like 1

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I would strenuously disagree. We aren't contending with Joe Flacco, and the potential of maxing out the Flacco experience is not attractive enough to set aside the development of Richardson. It's a simple truth, and if you don't acknowledge that, then we're wasting each other's time.

And in a world where the defense and the team in general are playing well enough to give us a shot with Flacco, that level of complementary play would also apply to the team with Richardson. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would strenuously disagree. We aren't contending with Joe Flacco, and the potential of maxing out the Flacco experience is not attractive enough to set aside the development of Richardson. It's a simple truth, and if you don't acknowledge that, then we're wasting each other's time.

And in a world where the defense and the team in general are playing well enough to give us a shot with Flacco, that level of complementary play would also apply to the team with Richardson.

I see your point even though I dont necessarily agree. Heck you may be right. It is what it is though. The Colts are riding with AR unless he gets hurt again. Hopefully he pans out. I’ll keep

my fingers crossed that it pays off next season.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The colts issues are not because of AR. 

We need him to be the reason why we win consistently and can make the playoffs and a playoff run.   I get that hes young and needs more time, hes so raw he probably should have stayed in school longer.  

It will feel amazing if he can do do what he does for 17+ games in one season

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

We need him to be the reason why we win consistently and can make the playoffs and a playoff run.   I get that hes young and needs more time, hes so raw he probably should have stayed in school longer.  

It will feel amazing if he can do do what he does for 17+ games in one season

If the defense had showed up this team could be 5-0

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Anthony has big play potential. Yes he needs to get better at short accuracy but you need to stop looking at the accuracy numbers as the b all end all.

Wouldn’t you say accuracy is more important than how far he can throw or how fast he can run?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Wouldn’t you say accuracy is more important than how far he can throw or how fast he can run?

His big play potential is why we can win now with him while he develops the short accuracy. Fans are so weird. He had one horrendous game as far as accuracy and we won. There was a lot of drops in the GB game.  If you don’t think sitting for 6 months had anything to do with some of it your not being honest.

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah, once Bradley came back this season, IMO he's a Steichen guy. Steichen has even commented on how they go back to their San Diego days together.