Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yoshinator Mock Draft

Going to do my first mock draft for the year. This one has no trades as I'm going to make it simple with just the 7 picks we have so far (one in each round).

Round 1: Quinyon Mitchell CB, Toledo

Round 2: Marshawn Kneeland, EDGE, Western Michigan

Round 3: Cole Bishop, S, Utah

Round 4: Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice

Round 5: Tanor Bortolini, OG, Wisconsin

Round 6: Garrett Greenfield, OT, South Dakota State

Round 7: Gabe Hall, DL, Baylor

Here's a mock draft that I think may do that would benefit the team heavily. Get our elite CB, get an EDGE that can possibly play some right away and be ready when Dayo and Paye hit FA next year, Bishop is an explosive S that could possibly start immediately, McCaffrey is a really solid WR that can run and catch the ball, Bortolini can play C or G and is really athletic, Greenfield is a solid developmental tackle that has nice athletic traits, and Gabe Hall is a lottery ticket with a high RAS score in the 7th that might be had at a bit of a value.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Going to do my first mock draft for the year. This one has no trades as I'm going to make it simple with just the 7 picks we have so far (one in each round).

Round 1: Quinyon Mitchell CB, Toledo

Round 2: Marshawn Kneeland, EDGE, Western Michigan

Round 3: Cole Bishop, S, Utah

Round 4: Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice

Round 5: Tanor Bortolini, OG, Wisconsin

Round 6: Garrett Greenfield, OT, South Dakota State

Round 7: Gabe Hall, DL, Baylor

Here's a mock draft that I think may do that would benefit the team heavily. Get our elite CB, get an EDGE that can possibly play some right away and be ready when Dayo and Paye hit FA next year, Bishop is an explosive S that could possibly start immediately, McCaffrey is a really solid WR that can run and catch the ball, Bortolini can play C or G and is really athletic, Greenfield is a solid developmental tackle that has nice athletic traits, and Gabe Hall is a lottery ticket with a high RAS score in the 7th that might be had at a bit of a value.

Not bad. Not bad at all. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I take it you don’t see WR as a huge need?

I see the class as deep, and defense as a bigger need. We re-signed Pittman, and I'm guessing Pierce will be better with Richardson throwing the deep ball. Downs also did good his rookie year. Dulin will be back as well. I wanted to get a WR, but it's not as big of a need as some people are thinking IMO.

• Like 1

I wasn't singling you out, there are lot's of "Ballard bashers" on this forum. Your draft looks ok, especially Bortolini in round 5. I just don't see spending a first rounder on a corner and having him give a ten yard cushion on 3rd and 3, a 6th or 7th rounder can do that.

12 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I wasn't singling you out, there are lot's of "Ballard bashers" on this forum. Your draft looks ok, especially Bortolini in round 5. I just don't see spending a first rounder on a corner and having him give a ten yard cushion on 3rd and 3, a 6th or 7th rounder can do that.

I feel Ballard put us in a spot where we need a top CB still by not trading for Sneed. Mitchell is the perfect scheme fit for Gus Bradley's defense. Ballard may not pick him, but I like him better than anyone else at 15 when you combine need and scheme fit.

18 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I feel Ballard put us in a spot where we need a top CB still by not trading for Sneed. Mitchell is the perfect scheme fit for Gus Bradley's defense. Ballard may not pick him, but I like him better than anyone else at 15 when you combine need and scheme fit.

if he is available at 15 i like bowers, i can just imagine the colts having a pass catching te like kelse or gronkowski

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

if he is available at 15 i like bowers, i can just imagine the colts having a pass catching te like kelse or gronkowski

Bowers is really good for the simple reason that the draft is bereft of TE talent (I only have 5 guys that are draftable myself at TE). If we take him, I'd be really excited in real life. If not, we'd probably have to take someone like Theo Johnson in the 3rd or 4th round. 

The choices are just so low at the TE position in the draft. It would be a great situation if we could draft Bowers at 15 (without trading up), and release Cox to save $6 million to possibly save some money to sign a couple FAs after the draft. That could be used on the top UDFAs, or use it on a couple veteran FAs to fill the holes we don't fill in the draft. Bowers would be a solid pick for a lot of reasons.

Honestly too, getting an elite TE is something a lot of the top teams share. Chiefs with Kelce, 49ers with Kittle, Ravens with Andrews, Lions with LaPorta, and Bills with Kincaid are the big 5. I'd like to join that group with the Colts. The more I talk about Bowers, the more I agree with you even more. I'll probably do another Mock Draft with Bowers at 15 and give you a mention.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Bowers is really good for the simple reason that the draft is bereft of TE talent (I only have 5 guys that are draftable myself at TE).

Bowers is really good, because he's really good. He'd have been TE1 last years draft if he'd gone there despite that being one of the best TE drafts ever. The only thing keeping Bowers from being a definite top 10 pick is positional value - and he still may go top 10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Bowers is really good, because he's really good. He'd have been TE1 last years draft if he'd gone there despite that being one of the best TE drafts ever. The only thing keeping Bowers from being a definite top 10 pick is positional value - and he still may go top 10.

I would bet money Bowers is a worse TE than Laporta and Kincaid in the NFL. He can be TE1 in this years class, but to say he'd be the TE1 in that class last year with hindsight is a little crazy. You would also have to remove Bowers year of production this year if that was the case. 

I would guess Bowers might be the best TE this year as the class is really weak and he doesn't have to beat much. As you said though, last year was a historic class of TEs, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted Bowers as the 1st TE (I know we took AR) as that's just saying you know more about the class than any other team and you are taking the first guy at the position. 

Generally when a class is deep at a position, I do the tier approach. Put each position in a group of tiers and try to get a guy in the highest tier possible even if it's the last guy in that tier. I'd rather get three tier 1 guys at the bottom of the first tier than one tier 1 guy at the top of the list and two tier 2 guys that that one guy cost me. Just a little Armchair GMing there.

Bowers is in his own tier this year. The only tier 1 TE. I would take him at 15 this year. Last year, not so much. With WR and CB being deep, Ballard could get the only Tier 1 TE, and probably a tier 2 WR and CB. With picks in the middle rounds, that's a good haul.

19 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I would bet money Bowers is a worse TE than Laporta and Kincaid in the NFL. He can be TE1 in this years class, but to say he'd be the TE1 in that class last year with hindsight is a little crazy. You would also have to remove Bowers year of production this year if that was the case. 

I would guess Bowers might be the best TE this year as the class is really weak and he doesn't have to beat much. As you said though, last year was a historic class of TEs, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted Bowers as the 1st TE (I know we took AR) as that's just saying you know more about the class than any other team and you are taking the first guy at the position. 

Generally when a class is deep at a position, I do the tier approach. Put each position in a group of tiers and try to get a guy in the highest tier possible even if it's the last guy in that tier. I'd rather get three tier 1 guys at the bottom of the first tier than one tier 1 guy at the top of the list and two tier 2 guys that that one guy cost me. Just a little Armchair GMing there.

Bowers is in his own tier this year. The only tier 1 TE. I would take him at 15 this year. Last year, not so much. With WR and CB being deep, Ballard could get the only Tier 1 TE, and probably a tier 2 WR and CB. With picks in the middle rounds, that's a good haul.

LaPorta had 5 td in his college career.  Bowers has 26 receiving td and 5 rushing tds

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

LaPorta had 5 td in his college career.  Bowers has 26 receiving td and 5 rushing tds

Fair enough. I'm just admitting with a year of hindsight from LaPorta and Kincaid that I'd take the guys who I have a one-year sample on in the NFL looking back on it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

The thing with Bowers is he stepped onto the scene and outplayed anyone else from HIS FIRST YEAR.

Kincaid - 5 years in college - total production: 115/150 catches made, 1641 yards, 17 TDs, 5.2 YAC/REC

LaPorta - 4 years in college - total production: 129/207 catches made, 1493 yards, 4 TDs, 5.2 YAC/REC

Bowers - 3 years in college - total production: 175/224 catches made, 2541 yards, 26 TDs, 8.5 YAC/REC

Bowers' first year he had better production than any of Kincaid's or LaPorta's years. He produced 50% more than Kincaid IN TWO YEARS LESS. He's off the charts.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The thing with Bowers is he stepped onto the scene and outplayed anyone else from HIS FIRST YEAR.

Kincaid - 5 years in college - total production: 115/150 catches made, 1641 yards, 17 TDs, 5.2 YAC/REC

LaPorta - 4 years in college - total production: 129/207 catches made, 1493 yards, 4 TDs, 5.2 YAC/REC

Bowers - 3 years in college - total production: 175/224 catches made, 2541 yards, 26 TDs, 8.5 YAC/REC

Bowers first year he had better production than any of Kincaid's or LaPorta's years. He's off the charts.

That's fair. As I said, I'm using hindsight with a 1-year sample size in the NFL with Bowers. He may be better than them. It's just very difficult to decipher TEs though, and in last years class, you had to think you knew something other teams didn't to take one early in a deep class. That would have been true even if Bowers declared last year.

This year, it's an easy decision. Whatever team wants a TE that should be elite will have 1 chance to take him. The rest of the TE class is bad to poor. He'll probably be better than any TE this year. It's just hard to have enough conviction to take a TE in the first round and expect him to be the best TE in the draft. Usually the field will produce a few better ones. Kelce, Kittle, and Andrews are recent examples of that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

That's fair. As I said, I'm using hindsight with a 1-year sample size in the NFL with Bowers. He may be better than them. It's just very difficult to decipher TEs though, and in last years class, you had to think you knew something other teams didn't to take one early in a deep class. That would have been true even if Bowers declared last year.

This year, it's an easy decision. Whatever team wants a TE that should be elite will have 1 chance to take him. The rest of the TE class is bad to poor. He'll probably be better than any TE this year. It's just hard to have enough conviction to take a TE in the first round and expect him to be the best TE in the draft. Usually the field will produce a few better ones. Kelce, Kittle, and Andrews are recent examples of that.

True, but I don't think any team legitimately considered TE in the top 10 last season. I think that might be the case this year with Bowers, because he's shown what he can be every year he's played and he'll be a mismatch nightmare in the NFL against LBs and NCBs.

• Like 2

Just now, Solid84 said:

True, but I don't think any team legitimately considered TE in the top 10 last season. I think that might be the case this year with Bowers, because he's shown what he can be every year he's played and he'll be a mismatch nightmare in the NFL against LBs and NCBs.

I think the earliest he goes is 10 to the Jets, and the latest is 18 to the Bengals. That's my personal range for Bowers now. We'll have a realistic shot at him if we want him. I wouldn't be disappointed. 

• Like 4

It truly is a head scratcher for me when it comes to positional value.

I get that everyone believes that Ballard has hamstrung us at corner. Kept Rogers anyone? :thinking:

Regardless, with the NFL competition committee each year making rules that favor the OFFENSE all in the name of player safety, why is everyone so hung up on defensive positional values?

This team needs skill players more than defense. At least on the priority. Just my :2c:

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 8:40 AM, Solid84 said:

Bowers' first year he had better production than any of Kincaid's or LaPorta's years. He produced 50% more than Kincaid IN TWO YEARS LESS. He's off the charts.

It's not just that he had a better career, but he special right away. Brock was the best offensive player on an absolutely loaded team against an elite Clemson defense in his first hand as a true freshman. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wig said:

It's not just that he had a better career, but he special right away. Brock was the best offensive player on an absolutely loaded team against an elite Clemson defense in his first hand as a true freshman. 

Yeah, there's an expert on twitter who's adament the best indicator for NFL success for WRs is how early they break out. If Bowers essentially is a big WR, that could spell good things for him - and the team that gets him.