Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Julian Blackmon Returning for 2024

20 hours ago, wig said:

The goal of every off season pre draft is to not HAVE to go after any 1 position. Ballard has done that. If your complaint is we aren't set for years at a position, then you know things aren't bad

this isn’t necessarily true cb & wr are needs and better be addressed lol alec pierce is not it and i like MPJ but he not scaring nobody i’m a fan of downs en the slot 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Justin Simmons. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

I bet the Colts are looking at him. They need to make a move. Blackmon is a SS and has some injury history. I have littel faithe and Cross and neither does the coaching staff. Cant  go into the season with both those guys starting back there.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I bet the Colts are looking at him. They need to make a move. Blackmon is a SS and has some injury history. I have littel faithe and Cross and neither does the coaching staff. Cant  go into the season with both those guys starting back there.

Yeah, he would be a nice pickup. That would help our Secondary out bigtime. 

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, he would be a nice pickup. That would help our Secondary out bigtime. 

I am surprised he is still out there as the big money is kind of gone in free agency. I think most people thought he would sign day one. Not sure what is the hold up. Colts need to make a splash and they have the cap space. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Could you out that into English.  I don’t follow Moose lingo.   There’s either a word or two too many or too few in this post.  So I’m not following.   

Bottom line no one has any idea of what Ballard or the coaching staff are thinking. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Creekside said:

What's the nature of his injury? .. Should he be as good as new and ready to go week one?

It was said he could've made it back if we had a deep playoff run. So I imagine he is more than ready for all off-season activities.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/27/indianapolis-colts-julian-blackmon-news-injury-return-playoffs-2023/#:~:text=Indianapolis Colts safety Julian Blackmon,makes a deep playoff run.

• Thanks 3

On 4/5/2024 at 5:20 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Could you out that into English.  I don’t follow Moose lingo.   There’s either a word or two too many or too few in this post.  So I’m not following.   

Bottom line no one has any idea of what Ballard or the coaching staff are thinking. 

Giving your safety a one year deal is not a glowing endorsement. To me, they really dont have good starting safeties at either position.  I expect this to a be heavy D draft. 

11 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I’ve been out of the country for the last 10 days on my honeymoon. How come we only have one option to respond to a post? No laughing emoji or an others 

People were abusing them and using them to troll.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 7:20 PM, NewColtsFan said:

That's true, but hasn't Ballard stuck to the plan since he's been here (for better or worse)?  He's not going to spend big on free agents.  He's going to wait until the frenzy is over and then he'll probably pick up a veteran or two for bargain rates.

People can say it hasn't worked, but he hasn't had the right QB since Luck to prove out his MO.  

I'm not trying to defend him, he's obviously made some mistakes.  But overall he's done well IMHO.  

Okay, my complaint is that he passed on a bunch of Edge rushers this year.  Yes, they would have cost and he probably wouldn't have been able to 'run it back'.  But a dominant D line makes it a lot easier for the DBs.

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That's true, but hasn't Ballard stuck to the plan since he's been here (for better or worse)?  He's not going to spend big on free agents.  He's going to wait until the frenzy is over and then he'll probably pick up a veteran or two for bargain rates.

People can say it hasn't worked, but he hasn't had the right QB since Luck to prove out his MO.  

I'm not trying to defend him, he's obviously made some mistakes.  But overall he's done well IMHO.  

Okay, my complaint is that he passed on a bunch of Edge rushers this year.  Yes, they would have cost and he probably wouldn't have been able to 'run it back'.  But a dominant D line makes it a lot easier for the DBs.

The way I see it is Ballard now feels he has the right quarterback and coach for that matter since Luck.  So he did decide to spend big in FA this year.  On retaining his own FA.   The players he drafted or acquired.  He did try to sign an ER but he decided to go elsewhere for less money.  Nothing he could do about that.  He didn’t like the others for reasons we don’t know.  Maybe scheme fit, age who knows.  So for me he did spend big on FA this year.  A big difference from the past.  He paid his own drafted or acquired players.  Instead of going outside he stayed inside.  That’s a good sign and a good course of action imo.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yes, SM….   All true.  But I owe you an apology….  What I meant to say is, I have no idea what Ballard will do IN THE DRAFT.   Sorry.  If I had included those three words it would’ve saved you all that time.  My bad.  

It’s hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of taking a corner at 15, which would appear to be what 80-90 percent of the mocks predict.  As we all know Ballard has never taken a corner high than 34.  (Rock).  Last year Ballard traded down twice from 35 to 44 before he took Brents and I think it’s possible that Ballard sees Juju as his CB1.   Possible.  

But this season I find myself saying “anything is possible” more times than I ever have and I really HATE that expression!   But I need to see Steichen’s influence on Ballard, and perhaps Ballard’s influence on Steichen.   Until then, I won’t know if Ballard has changed any core values.   So I’m very, very curious.   

Again….  Apologies I wasn’t more clear.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Nothing has held Ballard back from building a talented back seven.

His belief in providing big, slow corners, and a LB in Franklin that struggles defending the middle of the field playing back in his zone, limits our safeties being aggressive. Gus and his coaches seem incompetent. 

Someone above Ballard/Dodds must weigh in.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, SM….   All true.  But I owe you an apology….  What I meant to say is, I have no idea what Ballard will do IN THE DRAFT.   Sorry.  If I had included those three words it would’ve saved you all that time.  My bad.  

It’s hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of taking a corner at 15, which would appear to be what 80-90 percent of the mocks predict.  As we all know Ballard has never taken a corner high than 34.  (Rock).  Last year Ballard traded down twice from 35 to 44 before he took Brents and I think it’s possible that Ballard sees Juju as his CB1.   Possible.  

But this season I find myself saying “anything is possible” more times than I ever have and I really HATE that expression!   But I need to see Steichen’s influence on Ballard, and perhaps Ballard’s influence on Steichen.   Until then, I won’t know if Ballard has changed any core values.   So I’m very, very curious.   

Again….  Apologies I wasn’t more clear.   

No problem, I was probably off on a tangent anyway.

I also do not want us to take a CB at 15, or even trade back for one.  I want a receiver, either Bowers or Thomas Jr.  Second choice would be an edge rusher.  

Pick up a veteran CB and let JuJu, Flowers, and Jones learn from him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

No problem, I was probably off on a tangent anyway.

I also do not want us to take a CB at 15, or even trade back for one.  I want a receiver, either Bowers or Thomas Jr.  Second choice would be an edge rusher.  

Pick up a veteran CB and let JuJu, Flowers, and Jones learn from him.

I don't understand why  people are so preoccupied with a wr over a corner? When looking at the offense vs. the defense, there appears to be more talent on the offensive side of the ball. Is smart football to build up thr side of the ball that is lacking talent? I really don't get it.

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't understand why  people are so preoccupied with a wr over a corner? When looking at the offense vs. the defense, there appears to be more talent on the offensive side of the ball. Is smart football to build up thr side of the ball that is lacking talent? I really don't get it.

A rookie CB is a crap shoot.  Wilson, Rock, JuJu - none were very productive their first season.  (I understand they weren’t #1s but they were high picks)

Bowers or a WR like Thomas Jr will make immediate impacts IMHO.  

We can get a veteran CB to work in with Juju, Flowers and Jones.  

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

A rookie CB is a crap shoot.  Wilson, Rock, JuJu - none were very productive their first season.  (I understand they weren’t #1s but they were high picks)

Bowers or a WR like Thomas Jr will make immediate impacts IMHO.  

We can get a veteran CB to work in with Juju, Flowers and Jones.  

Everything is a crap shoot lol. I say they get a corner if thry can get a good one at 15. If they have to move up a bit to take one then do it. I would like them to get Turner but u probably have to go to at least 7 to get him I think.  Verse maybe an option for trade up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Everything is a crap shoot lol. I say they get a corner if thry can get a good one at 15. If they have to move up a bit to take one then do it. I would like them to get Turner but u probably have to go to at least 7 to get him I think.  Verse maybe an option for trade up

I’d prefer Verse over any CB, unless Sauce is reentering the draft, lol!  A better pass rush means the DBs don’t have to be superstars.  

But if I were to guess, I’d say when it comes to our pick we’ll hear “The Indianapolis Colts have traded their pick to….”

• Like 1