Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Justin Simmons is a free safety, Fuller is a slot CB that plays same position as Kenny Moore.

I don’t believe Fuller plays the slot.  When you said Simmons I immediately thought of Fuller being the about the same age. McKinney is 24 compared to Simmons. I would take McKinney.  He would be the more expensive player but worth it over the longer term for me.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t believe Fuller plays the slot.  When you said Simmons I immediately thought of Fuller being the about the same age. McKinney is 24 compared to Simmons. I would take McKinney.  He would be the more expensive player but worth it over the longer term for me.

I doubt Ballard will open up his checkbook for a 4 or 5 year deal for possibly the highest free safety contract in FA, which McKinney will demand, Justin Simmons is no slouch and I will be glad to have him for 3 years if that helps our secondary.

Fuller does have experience in the slot.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/3/11/24097276/kendall-fuller-bengals-nfl-free-agency-rumors-washington-commanders

Key lines:

Fuller was the lone bright spot in the Commanders’ cornerback room in 2023, and while he is plenty capable as a wide cornerback, perhaps his prior experience in the slot and at safety could be attractive to teams that desire the ability to move the savvy veteran around as he and his game ages.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-one-free-agent-each-team-should-pursue-2024-offseason

DENVER BRONCOS: CB KENDALL FULLER

Fuller has experience as both an inside and outside cornerback in the NFL but has predominantly out wide in recent years. He’ll be 29 years old when the 2024 NFL season begins, though so this might be the time when a move back to the slot makes sense. The Broncos didn't roster any cornerbacks who earned a 65.0-plus PFF coverage grade in 2023, so investing in the position is necessary this offseason.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I doubt Ballard will open up his checkbook for a 4 or 5 year deal for possibly the highest free safety contract in FA, which McKinney will demand, Justin Simmons is no slouch and I will be glad to have him for 3 years if that helps our secondary.

We'll see about that. I think we just saw the start of a major market correction at safety, and while McKinney is a good option, there's suddenly a lot more competition among the free agents. I don't know if he has the standing to push the ceiling on the safety market, but we'll see. It only takes one team.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Didn’t look at the stat sheet but Anyone thinks Zack Moss outperformed Jonathan as a whole? Minshew probably gone, Zach Moss probably gone… that’s alright we signed some role players for our team we aren’t going to have the same team next year we aren’t going to the bottom barrel or stay the same we going to be better

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Joel Erickson said he heard colds are indeed in on sneed but he doesn’t know what that exactly means because it could mean a lot of things.

How could that mean a lot of things?

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How could that mean a lot of things?

Probably covering his backside because for starters it’s lying season and doesn’t know exactly how much the Colts are in on him.  Do they really want him bad or did they just call and say hey what’s your asking price and moved on or anywhere in between.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Probably covering his backside because for starters it’s lying season and doesn’t know exactly how much the Colts are in on him.  Do they really want him bad or did they just call and say hey what’s your asking price and moved on or anywhere in between.

I guess I could have explained that better. When he hears they are interested he says it’s hard to determine if it was because of one phone call. Or are they interested in him at a certain price ect. He said it’s hard to determine how bad they want someone. So yes you are correct here.

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Fuller does have experience in the slot.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/3/11/24097276/kendall-fuller-bengals-nfl-free-agency-rumors-washington-commanders

Key lines:

Fuller was the lone bright spot in the Commanders’ cornerback room in 2023, and while he is plenty capable as a wide cornerback, perhaps his prior experience in the slot and at safety could be attractive to teams that desire the ability to move the savvy veteran around as he and his game ages.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-one-free-agent-each-team-should-pursue-2024-offseason

DENVER BRONCOS: CB KENDALL FULLER

Fuller has experience as both an inside and outside cornerback in the NFL but has predominantly out wide in recent years. He’ll be 29 years old when the 2024 NFL season begins, though so this might be the time when a move back to the slot makes sense. The Broncos didn't roster any cornerbacks who earned a 65.0-plus PFF coverage grade in 2023, so investing in the position is necessary this offseason.

Just what I said he is primarily an outside corner.  Especially in recent years.  

I guess I could have explained that better. When he hears they are interested he says it’s hard to determine if it was because of one phone call. Or are they interested in him at a certain price ect. He said it’s hard to determine how bad they want someone.

Yeah, like I said it’s the level of what they are in on him.  There is a wide range there it could be.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Just what I said he is primarily an outside corner.  Especially in recent years.  

As they get older, their viability as an outside corner goes down, so I doubt Ballard would invest especially if he has shown he is more than happy to invest in younger corners from the draft.

If we go FA, it will be free safety. Otherwise, it will just be re-signing Moore and Stewart first, IMO.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah, like I said it’s the level of what they are in on him.  There is a wide range there it could be.

Local media also doesn’t really have access to agents ect either. They usually only have a direct line to the colts so their inside info is usually not as great as national guys or other insiders.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Local media also doesn’t really have access to agents ect either. They usually only have a direct line to the colts so their inside info is usually not as great as national guys or other insiders.

Depends on the agent.  They know some better than others, like Chap is good friends with Peyton’s agent for example.  Still there are hundreds of agents and one team so yeah they aren’t going to know them all like the team.

Would you guys want Sam Darnold as a backup QB? He played well for SF.

I am wondering if it’s just Sam Ehlinger.  They have been grooming him for that role and it’s kinda do it or don’t do it at this point.  

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There are a lot of safeties on the market and Blackmon has injury concerns. I would hope we can keep him.

he is one of the younger options though, and also is one of the more athletic ones, imo. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am wondering if it’s just Sam Ehlinger.  They have been grooming him for that role and it’s kinda do it or don’t do it at this point.  

I can’t get a read on it because no one has ever asked Steichen about him. 

With the cousins move to falcons Vikings look like they might go after Darnold.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He will get released.  Refused a pay cut.  I could see him replacing Grover.

He's the closest player i've seen to Buckner. I feel like if we did pick up armstead, we would still need another 2 gap big guy , maybe draft