Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Best 2024 Draft Prospect Fits

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

Cooper is also someone who blitzes effectively from the LB position

If we can get FAs at FS, CB, I would love to pick Cooper in round 2

I like Cedric Grey too, possibly could be there in round 3. Good size, length and athletic.

Cooper, Wilson and Nubin are my favourites in round 2.

• Like 2

Since everyone has mentioned him, let’s dive into Edgerrin Cooper next. 

Length jumps out at you. Just in terms of his size, he’s built almost identically to Shaq Leonard. 6’2” with 34” arms is one of the things that Ballard liked about him.

Cooper is a Senior who received an invite to the Senior Bowl but opted not to participate. He was at the East-West Shrine Game and did participate.

2023:
8 Sacks, 17 TFL , 84 Total Tackles, 2 FF

Much like Leonard he is also known for flying around the field. He’s an elite play maker who tries to get in on every play. He’s also so athletic that they have him spy athletic QBs.

He can do just about anything you would want a LB to do. The only knock on him is that he can play out of control sometimes trying to make a big play. He’s also a bit Raw.

Checked Boxes:

-Elite RAS. A+ athlete

-Long 34” arms

-Senior

-College production 

Unchecked boxes:

-Not a team captain

Also I haven’t heard anything negative about his character but there is something that intrigues me. He went on Twitter in November and posted that his girlfriend had passed away. It turned out to be an ATV accident. After that he almost never mentioned it or her again. Has no pictures up on his IG of her and no mentions of her after that. Everyone handles grief differently, so maybe it’s nothing but just a little strange IMO.

That aside he’s one of the best athletes in the draft. Perfect Ballard player.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Since everyone has mentioned him, let’s dive into Edgerrin Cooper next. 

Length jumps out at you. Just in terms of his size, he’s built almost identically to Shaq Leonard. 6’2” with 34” arms is one of the things that Ballard liked about him.

Cooper is a Senior who received an invite to the Senior Bowl but opted not to participate. He was at the East-West Shrine Game and did participate.

2023:
8 Sacks, 17 TFL , 84 Total Tackles, 2 FF

Much like Leonard he is also known for flying around the field. He’s an elite play maker who tries to get in on every play. He’s also so athletic that they have him spy athletic QBs.

He can do just about anything you would want a LB to do. The only knock on him is that he can play out of control sometimes trying to make a big play. He’s also a bit Raw.

Checked Boxes:

-Elite RAS. A+ athlete

-Long 34” arms

-Senior

-College production 

Unchecked boxes:

-Not a team captain

Also I haven’t heard anything negative about his character but there is something that intrigues me. He went on Twitter in November and posted that his girlfriend had passed away. It turned out to be an ATV accident. After that he almost never mentioned it or her again. Has no pictures up on his IG of her and no mentions of her after that. Everyone handles grief differently, so maybe it’s nothing but just a little strange IMO.

That aside he’s one of the best athletes in the draft. Perfect Ballard player.

Nice post….   Seems a little like Shaq.   Maybe a lot like Shaq.    So here’s the thing….  As of now, Cooper seems like a guy who might go as early as 20 or as late as perhaps 40.   Maybe 25-45?  

With the Colts currently picking 15 and 46,  Ballard can either trade down or trade up if CB wants him.   He’s going to have to wheel and deal if he wants his next Shaq.  

Just thinking out loud….

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice post….   Seems a little like Shaq.   Maybe a lot like Shaq.    So here’s the thing….  As of now, Cooper seems like a guy who might go as early as 20 or as late as perhaps 40.   Maybe 25-45?  

With the Colts currently picking 15 and 46,  Ballard can either trade down or trade up if CB wants him.   He’s going to have to wheel and deal if he wants his next Shaq.  

Just thinking out loud….

I think he would have to go up to get him. I think the Eagles, Packers, and Texans are all teams that would snatch him in a heartbeat.

Like you said, he does remind me of Shaq a lot. Built like him and kinda plays like him too. Shaq in his prime was the best LB in the league. So I think there are a bunch of teams that would love to have a young Leonard on their team. He’s a lot of analysts LB1.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2024 at 12:58 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Just thinking out loud….

Honestly, it wouldn't shock me to see Edgerrin Cooper drafted on Day 1.  He is one of those players that has the "it factor" enough for a team to draft on Day 1.  Each year we see it happen and so-called professionals nowhere close to all those mock drafts.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Honestly, it wouldn't shock me to see Edgerrin Cooper drafted on Day 1.  He is one of those players that has the "it factor" enough for a team to draft on Day 1.  Each year we see it happen and so-called professionals nowhere close to all those mock drafts.  

Im not reading that it would be a shock to anyone if Cooper went in the first.  Just likely the bottom third of the first.  Perhaps after pick 20.   He’s likely the best LB in this class. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not reading that it would be a shock to anyone if Cooper went in the first.  Just likely the bottom third of the first.  Perhaps after pick 20.   He’s likely the best LB in this class. 

Unless you're the Lions and draft 18th.  I did like Jack Campbell last year. 

Agree do think Cooper would be around 20th and later.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

@Solid84

Still holding out hope we trade our R1P15 to LV for Maxx Crosby give them draft capital to move up for their QB. 

If we sit at P15, draft CB Quinyon Mitchell.  Latest report seen was the Colts haven't even talked trade for Sneed.  False news, who knows, time will tell? 

If Mitchell is gone before P15 then see a trade back and draft WLB Edgerrin Cooper or OL Jackson Powers-Johnson. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

@Solid84

Still holding out hope we trade our R1P15 to LV for Maxx Crosby give them draft capital to move up for their QB. 

If we sit at P15, draft CB Quinyon Mitchell.  Latest report seen was the Colts haven't even talked trade for Sneed.  False news, who knows, time will tell? 

If Mitchell is gone before P15 then see a trade back and draft WLB Edgerrin Cooper or OL Jackson Powers-Johnson. 

I’d like Crossby!

I really like Mitchell, but I just don’t see more youth being a good thing for our CB room. Even if the Sneed thing is made up I still think we should go for a vet. 

I hope we can get Cooper in the 2nd. I’d prefer a WR (or Bowers) at 15, but right now I think we’re looking at DE. 

Powers-Johnson looks greats, but of all the things we could do I think OL is probably the least likely at 15. 

Lots of needs. Safety is probably the biggest, but I don’t think any of them are worth the 15th overall. 

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’d like Crossby!

I really like Mitchell, but I just don’t see more youth being a good thing for our CB room. Even if the Sneed thing is made up I still think we should go for a vet. 

I hope we can get Cooper in the 2nd. I’d prefer a WR (or Bowers) at 15, but right now I think we’re looking at DE. 

Powers-Johnson looks greats, but of all the things we could do I think OL is probably the least likely at 15. 

Lots of needs. Safety is probably the biggest, but I don’t think any of them are worth the 15th overall. 

Looking at OTC now.  Seems like we may have around 10-12M cap space left to go after players in FA.  Do the Colts sign I player or break it down to a few small signings.  Still seeing who is available and limited on time.  Still am high on WR Quez Watkins and seeing the Dolphins are also interested in him.  Watkins played under Shane and figured he would be one of his targets in FA.  

Both SS, assuming Cross is the starter, but FS is main focus and probably in the draft.   Not sold one too many true FS from college and sure you seen prior post about how slow these CBs are and a move to FS probably best for their career in the NFL.  Especially Khyree Jackson who has a lot of the overall skill set of Cooper DeJean and might be a viable option later in the draft. 

• Like 1

As discussed, here’s Isaac Guerendo 

Elite athlete although you’d like to see a better 3-cone for a RB. But it’s fine if you factor in size. Interesting note about him is he’s a local kid. He’s from Clayton, Indiana. He’s a senior who did participate in the Senior Bowl, though his team mate did. He checks the boxes for being able to pass catch and pass protect. He’s a Wisconsin transfer and those are two skills that most of their backs usually have coming out (JT, Melvin Gordon, etc…). 

We know Ballard values versatility and Isaac’s got it. He can be a good punt/kick returner:

I’ve also noticed that Ballard values backs who get yards after contact (Moss) and he also checks the box there:

He can truly do it all

Like JT he can make house calls too

Again, Yards after contact:

For character he was a 3-time Big 10 All-Academic while at Wisconsin. Other than that, there’s no red flags.

Boxes checked:

-Senior

-Elite RAS. A+ athlete

-Local kid

-Multi sport High School athlete

-Student athlete 

-Versatility 

Boxes Not checked:

-Senior Bowl participant

-5th year transfer who only produced his final season in college

Overall Guerendo is everything Ballard looks for in explosive offensive weapons. He’s an elite athlete at the RB position who can do anything. He plays a little upright which is common for bigger backs, and also doesn’t have great quickness which is seen on tape. But he’s a day 3 RB, who in the right system could a lethal RB2. 

I think he could be a surprise 4th round pick by Ballard if he was there.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

May have to take Nubin off my list. granted these are pro day numbers but yikes. Kind of just confirms that this isn’t a great safety class. 

Yikes

He may go in round 4

Did I mention in the last 45 seconds that we need a FA FS?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Yikes

He may go in round 4

Did I mention in the last 45 seconds that we need a FA FS?

Yeah this is not a draft to need a FS in. The guys that can play that role are either slow or can’t tackle. We absolutely can not play Rodney Thomas back there. Cross showed flashes when back there but he’s still inexperienced. You can’t fix a secondary that’s issue is youth with more young players.

I understand Ballard is fixated about having a 30 and under team, but this is going too far. He needs to get Quandre Diggs In here like yesterday. Idk if his 1 year rental of Rhodes spooked him, but guys can still play at 30+. Mike Adams was a ballhawk here in his later years.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Overall Guerendo is everything Ballard looks for in explosive offensive weapons. He’s an elite athlete at the RB position who can do anything. He plays a little upright which is common for bigger backs, and also doesn’t have great quickness which is seen on tape. But he’s a day 3 RB, who in the right system could a lethal RB2. 

Out of all the RBs in this year's draft class, Isaac Guerendo is my favorite and best Colts fit.  Can see him being draft in Round 4.  With how weak of an RB class this is and how well Guerendo done at the Combine he might just sneak into Round 3.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

May have to take Nubin off my list. granted these are pro day numbers but yikes. Kind of just confirms that this isn’t a great safety class. 

Something is off about Nubin and I also no longer have him on my draft board.  As you mentioned not a very good safety or even cornerback class.  Now do see a lot of CBs moving to FS, especially with slow 4.50s-forty speeds.  We know the track at Indianapolis plays fast and a big knock against these players playing on slower fields for their own Pro-Days probably is going to work against them.  Understand always an athlete or two that might have a minor tweak injury hampering their run times.   Nick Cross, if memory serves, ran a 4.32s-forrty.  Also not overly sold on the FS draft class prospects because the Colts clearly need an upgrade.  

Please do a write-up on CB Khyree Jackson (Oregon)

I know he had a slow 4.49s-forty time and but haven't had time to check and see if he re-ran it at a Pro-Day maybe lowering it.  From what I have seen I like his overall abilities at corner from tackling to coverage grades, but his speed says move to free safety.   Currently, I Jackson as a Round 3 pick for the Colts moving him to FS.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Elite athlete although you’d like to see a better 3-cone for a RB. But it’s fine if you factor in size. Interesting note about him is he’s a local kid. He’s from Clayton, Indiana. He’s a senior who did participate in the Senior Bowl, though his team mate did. He checks the boxes for being able to pass catch and pass protect. He’s a Wisconsin transfer and those are two skills that most of their backs usually have coming out (JT, Melvin Gordon, etc…). 

We know Ballard values versatility and Isaac’s got it. He can be a good punt/kick returner:

I’ve also noticed that Ballard values backs who get yards after contact (Moss) and he also checks the box there:

He can truly do it all

Like JT he can make house calls too

Again, Yards after contact:

For character he was a 3-time Big 10 All-Academic while at Wisconsin. Other than that, there’s no red flags.

Boxes checked:

-Senior

-Elite RAS. A+ athlete

-Local kid

-Multi sport High School athlete

-Student athlete 

-Versatility 

Boxes Not checked:

-Senior Bowl participant

-5th year transfer who only produced his final season in college

Another good wrote up. 

I like Guerendo and I thunk he would be a great fit here. 

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Oof, yeah, no safties worth a 1st rounder and possibly not even our 46th overall. 

• Like 1

My favorite fit for the Colts is Max Melton, CB,  Rutgers.  RAS score is 9.65.  4.39 forty.  40.5 vertical.  I thought he looked really good at the combine, and he was considered the second best CB at the Senior Bowl.  Plus, it seems like Ballard likes a minimum of 32 inch arms, and he’s one of the only early CBs in this draft to meet that.  

His scouting report reads a lot like a faster Kenny Moore II - scrappy, very good in run support, and can swing inside or out (though, he’s mostly been a boundary corner).  Also, great football intelligence and instincts.

If we wanted to target him in the 2nd, it would enable us to trade down in the 1st and target any WR we may deem Worthy…;)

• Like 4

17 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Will do, but I think he can stick at corner in the NFL. Especially if he plays Zone. Brents also ran in the 4.5s.

2 hours ago, Archer said:

My favorite fit for the Colts is Max Melton, CB,  Rutgers.  RAS score is 9.65.  4.39 forty.  40.5 vertical.  I thought he looked really good at the combine, and he was considered the second best CB at the Senior Bowl.  Plus, it seems like Ballard likes a minimum of 32 inch arms, and he’s one of the only early CBs in this draft to meet that.  

His scouting report reads a lot like a faster Kenny Moore II - scrappy, very good in run support, and can swing inside or out (though, he’s mostly been a boundary corner).  Also, great football intelligence and instincts.

If we wanted to target him in the 2nd, it would enable us to trade down in the 1st and target any WR we may deem Worthy…;)

I have to watch more of him but I added him to my updated corner list for Colts fits. Unless this Sneed thing happens, I wouldn’t rule out a corner on day 2.

Want to make sure I do at least one guy from each category, so I’ll do a safety:

Not the typical 9+ RAS we typically see from most Ballard types but this is more than adequate.

Oladapo was a Senior who participated at the Senior Bowl and showed the ability to cover tight Ends. He was a team captain who played over 30 games in college.

He has a lot of versatility as he can play multiple roles:

I see him playing a hybrid SS/Dime LB role. I also think he can be a demon special teams.

Short write up here. I think what you see is what you get with him. There needs to be a vision on how to use him though. Needs a creative defensive coordinator.

Boxes Checked:

-Senior Bowl Participant

-Good but not great RAS. B+ athlete

-Team captain

-Versatile

He’s a day 3, developmental pick. Should be good on special teams early.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 4:12 AM, Solid84 said:

If they can somehow open the check book for Simmons (or another FS)

It will make our draft strategy a bit stronger

• Like 2

Something else I’m going to start doing to back up my data is show the profiles of some past drafted players by Ballard. Here’s some of the safeties he’s drafted:

Malik’s Hooker didn’t work out because he was injured coming out but here is his size profile:

There’s also Shawn Davis but he didn’t test either

Seems like his safeties have to be 5’10-6’0” in height and at least 200 lbs.

• Like 1

If you haven't seen these guys you should. I like their reviews and they have excellent chemistry making it much easier to sit through.

TEs:

QBs:

RBs:

OTs:

DEs:

WRs:

Some of these are pre-Senior Bowl and Combine reviews, so they likely aren't up to date.

• Thanks 1

I never did a wide receiver, so I’ll kick it off with Odunze:

Pretty much an A+ athlete for the position. Perfect height, weight, and speed combo.

Odunze is a 4-year senior who served as a team captain for Washington. He’s also tough.  He suffered a broken rib and punctured lung recovering an onside kick versus Arizona. Stayed in a hospital overnight and rested over the bye week before playing in the team's win over Oregon. All his coaches, team scouts, and NFL media people rave about his character. Just a fantastic kid. He also stayed after everyone left at combine workouts to run his 3-come until he could do it without knocking the cone over, even though he had already got a good time on it.

He’s coming off of a 1,600+ yard season in which he scored 13 TDs and averaged over 27 yards a catch. All his numbers were better than Marv except for TDs where Marv beat him by two. The year before he had 1,100+ yards. Big time producer in college

Blocking Ability is checked:

Contested catches and Jump Balls is a checked box:

Route Running is a checked box:

I’m not going to go overboard with highlights because if you watch college football you should know how good Odunze is and what he did this past season. He’s WR3 in the class for me, but from the Colts perspective he’s WR1. From an athletic, skill, and character standpoint he is exactly who they like and checks every box. The Colts WR2 would be BTJ personally.

-9.9+ RAS. A+ athlete

-Team captain and great leader

-Blocks in the run game

-Senior

-College producer

-Explosive playmaker and TD scorer

IDK if he’s got a shot to make it to us, but to me he’s the best fit of any prospect in the entire draft for the Colts. When you look up Build-A-Ballard WRs, he is the prototype.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I never did a wide receiver, so I’ll kick it off with Odunze:

Pretty much an A+ athlete for the position. Perfect height, weight, and speed combo.

Odunze is a 4-year senior who served as a team captain for Washington. He’s also tough.  He suffered a broken rib and punctured lung recovering an onside kick versus Arizona. Stayed in a hospital overnight and rested over the bye week before playing in the team's win over Oregon. All his coaches, team scouts, and NFL media people rave about his character. Just a fantastic kid. He also stayed after everyone left at combine workouts to run his 3-come until he could do it without knocking the cone over, even though he had already got a good time on it.

He’s coming off of a 1,600+ yard season in which he scored 13 TDs and averaged over 27 yards a catch. All his numbers were better than Marv except for TDs where Marv beat him by two. The year before he had 1,100+ yards. Big time producer in college

Blocking Ability is checked:

Contested catches and Jump Balls is a checked box:

Route Running is a checked box:

I’m not going to go overboard with highlights because if you watch college football you should know how good Odunze is and what he did this past season. He’s WR3 in the class for me, but from the Colts perspective he’s WR1. From an athletic, skill, and character standpoint he is exactly who they like and checks every box. The Colts WR2 would be BTJ personally.

-9.9+ RAS. A+ athlete

-Team captain and great leader

-Blocks in the run game

-Senior

-College producer

-Explosive playmaker and TD scorer

IDK if he’s got a shot to make it to us, but to me he’s the best fit of any prospect in the entire draft for the Colts. When you look up Build-A-Ballard WRs, he is the prototype.

I agree, I don't think he'll fall to 15, but with Chicago signing Keenan Allen, there is potential for him to be within range to trade up a few spots with the 15th and 46th pick, something I would have no problem with. Unfortunately with Ballard, its unlikely. 

Yes the draft is deep with WRs, but there is a drop off after Rome to BTJ, Mitchell, etc.

One prospect that I think fits Bradley's scheme is Cooper Dejean, he had a season ending injury that has limited his ability to test at the combine. I think he screams as a Ballard pick because he has picked multiple players that are coming off injuries and were projected to be higher picks if not injured, then add that he is considered an athletic freak. If he falls into the 2nd I think he could be a perfect pick for the Colts as a free safety or CB.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 11:45 PM, OhioColt said:

Out of all the RBs in this year's draft class, Isaac Guerendo is my favorite and best Colts fit.  Can see him being draft in Round 4.  With how weak of an RB class this is and how well Guerendo done at the Combine he might just sneak into Round 3.

Something is off about Nubin and I also no longer have him on my draft board.  As you mentioned not a very good safety or even cornerback class.  Now do see a lot of CBs moving to FS, especially with slow 4.50s-forty speeds.  We know the track at Indianapolis plays fast and a big knock against these players playing on slower fields for their own Pro-Days probably is going to work against them.  Understand always an athlete or two that might have a minor tweak injury hampering their run times.   Nick Cross, if memory serves, ran a 4.32s-forrty.  Also not overly sold on the FS draft class prospects because the Colts clearly need an upgrade.  

I know he had a slow 4.49s-forty time and but haven't had time to check and see if he re-ran it at a Pro-Day maybe lowering it.  From what I have seen I like his overall abilities at corner from tackling to coverage grades, but his speed says move to free safety.   Currently, I Jackson as a Round 3 pick for the Colts moving him to FS.  

Khyree is my favorite corner where he's projected to fall. I don't think he needs to move to safety at all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wig said:

Khyree is my favorite corner where he's projected to fall. I don't think he needs to move to safety at all

Thanks for posting that. Interestingly this goes well with my theory you can't just put elite man-cover guys in zone and expect good results.

Jacksons performance here is great, but his RAS score may take him off Ballard's board, because he's stupid like that:

KJ290324.JPG.cb781248201f4c6bb29361429119ab84.JPG

Edit: He does hit the measurables though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Thanks for posting that. Interestingly this goes well with my theory you can't just put elite man-cover guys in zone and expect good results.

Jacksons performance here is great, but his RAS score may take him off Ballard's board, because he's stupid like that:

KJ290324.JPG.cb781248201f4c6bb29361429119ab84.JPG

Edit: He does hit the measurables though.

We're seeing different RAS scores. And I was surprised he ran what he did. I thought he'd be low 4.4s with what I saw on the field

1 hour ago, wig said:

We're seeing different RAS scores. And I was surprised he ran what he did. I thought he'd be low 4.4s with what I saw on the field

The one you posted there doesn't have his Bench numbers so I'm guessing it's an in early estimation during the drills.

It's interesting though neither of our posts had the 10-yard split number posted on NFL.com (1.5).

Something is off.

• Like 1