Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shane Steichen on the Green Light podcast with Chris Long

stitches

3 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

I was a bit disappointed.  Was hoping to see a bit more candid side of Shane.  To me felt like a long drawn out press conference of his

I’ve said this before, but it’s probably worth repeating.   I’m not sure we will ever get a completely candid interview from Shane.   I think he’s extraordinarily guarded and picks his words extra, EXTRA carefully.   I hope I’m wrong, but fear I’m right. 

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve said this before, but it’s probably worth repeating.   I’m not sure we will ever get a completely candid interview from Shane.   I think he’s extraordinarily guarded and picks his words extra, EXTRA carefully.   I hope I’m wrong, but fear I’m right. 

I agree

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It may be for a good reason, and that’s because fans like to dissect every little thing that coaches and owners say to the point it becomes something it was never meant to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

It may be for a good reason, and that’s because fans like to dissect every little thing that coaches and owners say to the point it becomes something it was never meant to be. 

100%. Steichen's pressers drive me crazy because he just won't play the game. His guard is up every step of the way, he avoids traps, dismisses questions with boilerplate responses, etc. It's almost a waste of time.

Yet, it's impressive. His level of focus and discipline in this area is something that most coaches either lack or don't properly value, IMO. His ability to never break, never get flustered, is admirable, even if the result is a completely sanitized press conference experience that gives the fans zero insight.

I'd prefer that he be more engaging and informative, but I also appreciate the gamesmanship and strict approach. It's hard to be misquoted if you say virtually nothing quotable, and it's hard to twist your words if every other answer is some version of 'we'll work through that internally,' or 'I'm not gonna get into the details on that.' 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

That may be the case.   Over the years I hope he relaxes and opens up a bit. 

I my previous post, I closed by saying I hope I’m wrong but fear I’m right.   I think I overstated that.  Too melodramatic.  So I’d like to modify my comment.

I want Steichen to be himself, and not who we want him to be.   But I’ve done thousands of interviews and I think I know when someone is being guarded.   So I hope he gets more comfortable over time and stops fearing how every sentence he says can be used against him.  

The Indy media is NOT the Philly media and hopefully as he builds relationships with the media he can relax and trust and be more candid for everyone’s sake. 

• Like 1