Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Cardinals] We have released Deandre Hopkins

stitches

9 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

There are people on this board that say the Colts are contenders.

Unfortunately, our optimism as Colts fans isn't necessarily representative of the rest of the league's opinion of our team. With the question mark at QB, most high-end FAs towards the end of their careers looking to get a ring before they retire won't be signing here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

Unfortunately, our optimism as Colts fans isn't necessarily representative of the rest of the league's opinion of our team. With the question mark at QB, most high-end FAs towards the end of their careers looking to get a ring before they retire won't be signing here.

Yeah I don't see any reason he would come here.

That's not because I have a bad outlook on how the season will play out.

I just think regardless how it plays out, we won't be a very efficient passing offense this year.

And we don't have the money to make that luxury splash signing. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 1:27 PM, CR91 said:

Tanking for Caleb Williams mode actived haha. Imagine the Cards get both Caleb and Marv? Cards have the Texans first pick next season.

They aren't getting out of that Kyler Murray contract any time soon

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They can get out of it next off-season.

Will take a big dead cap hit, but I'm sure they won't mind if moving forward with Williams and potentially another top 5- Top 10 pick.

PRE-6/1 TRADE:

2024 Dead Cap: $46,221,000

2024 Cap Savings: $5,636,000

POST-6/1 TRADE

2024 Dead Cap: $13,007,000

2025 Dead Cap: $33,214,000

2024 Cap Savings: $38,850,000

Would imagine they would do what they did this year with Hopkins(2023) and take all dead cap hit for Murray in 2024 and get it out of the way.

Cardinals could've waited another week and moved some of Hopkins dead cap to 2024, but elected to take the hit this year

If Murray is traded, his new cap hits for new team would be.

2024 - $38,850,000

2025 - $32,607,500

2026 - $42,542,500

2027 - $30,528,000

2028 - $33,343,000

Turn into a 5yr deal worth $177,872,000 with $65.2m guaranteed (a little more for injury)

Very manageable contract for the new team, if Kyler Murray is their kinda guy. $36.3 AAV

They can also release him and save some money in 2024 also, not much, and I'm sure they don't really care if they are moving on. Very unlikely here, though as $81,521,000 is a huge dead cap hit.

POST-6/1 RELEASE

2024 Dead Cap: $48,307,000

2025 Dead Cap: $33,214,000

2024 Cap Savings: $3,550,000

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Teams have eaten the dead cap before. Falcons did it for Ryan. Commanders did it for Wentz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Teams have eaten the dead cap before. Falcons did it for Ryan. Commanders did it for Wentz.

Yup.   The Cardinals will be happy to get out from Murray.    One of the worst signings in recent memory.   He’s the opposite of what teams want at QB.   He’s a ME-first player at the ultimate team sport position.  

If it means a few years of difficult salary cap moves then so be it.   The team will get more good picks to build with along the way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would anyone trade for that contract?  The expirament of kyler and Kingsbury didn't work out.   They are stuck

Desperate teams in need for a QB will pay anything. Ask the Browns. Also they don't have to take the whole contract. Teams have paid a portion of the contract in the past.

Visiting the Titans today.

Kinda feels like deja Vu.

Some people wanted to bring in Julio, we didn't.

He signs with Titans, we are worried that might come back to bite us. It didn't.

Still don't want Hopkins to sign in Tennessee though.