Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 Mock Off-season 1.0

Colts cap space - 12 mil

Retire

Matt Ryan - saves 29 mil - Obviously this will come down to Matt Ryan, but its the easily way for the colts to save money. Colts would only need to pay him his restructured bonus.

Ryan Kelly - saves 10 mil - Don't be surprised if this happens. Ryan has dealt with so many injuries and after that terrible incident in 2020 with his unborn child, just doesn't seem like football matters to him. Course thats just my opinion. Colts would only need to pay him his restructured bonus.

Colts cap space - 51 mil

Restructure

Braden Smith - saves 6 mil - I'm not entirely sure how restructuring contracts work, but I can't see the colts keeping Smith's cap hit at 19 mil especially with the terrible season he had. I looked at some restructured bonuses in the past and 6 mil is about the average.

Colts cap space - 57 mil 

Trade

Kenny Moore to the bears - Saves 8 mil - This is an easy trade to make with the bears. Kenny just doesn't fit in Gus's system and he can reunite with Flus.

Colts cap space - 65 mil

Cut

Nick Foles - Saves 2 mil - No need to keep Foles honestly with Frank being the only reason he was here.

Colts cap space - 67 mil

Re-sign

Yannick Ngakoue - 2 year 27 mil - If Yannick is willing to take a discount to continue to play with Gus, then I have no problem re-signing him. 9.5 sacks is still 9.5 sacks even if they weren't exactly the most impactful sacks. I'd also really like to see how much Leonard can help him in run defense.

Parris Campbell - 2 year 10 mil - Maybe overpaying a little, but Campbell finally showed he can be healthy and I can see all the creative ways Striechen can use him and hopefully finally have a QB that can hit him deep.

E.J Speed - 2 year 9 mil - I can't see us paying Okereke with the return of Leonard and the emerges of Zaire Franklin which means re-signing Speed is important for depth. 

Chase Mclaughin - 3 year 9 mil - Chase showed he can be our kicker long-term. I'm honestly surprised we didn't extend him during the season.

Colts cap space - 41 mil

Free Agency

Boston Scott RB - 2 year 8 mil - Was an intricate part of Striechen's offense and fills the scat back role that we needed after Hines was traded.

Trai Turner G - 2 year 10 mil - Trai has been a solid vet on the line and has played with Striechen in LA with the chargers.

Keenan Allen WR 2 year 22 mil - Rumor is the Chargers will cut Allen as a cap casualty. He is gonna be 31 in april, but I believe he is still one of the top WRs when healthy and Striechen seems to have a lot of respect for him.

Isaiah Oliver CB - 3 year 30 mil - Oliver was coming back from an ACL injury this season, but before that was one of the up-and-coming corners in this league. With trading Kenny away, we can use a new nickel CB.

Colts cap space - 11 mil

Draft I will do after the combine, but I am in the camp of either Young or Stroud or bust. I do not want Levis or AR. Imo you do not waste the 4th pick of the draft on a project. Young and Stroud are the closest to sure things for this class when it comes to QBs.

I would not be paying a nickel corner coming off an ACL injury $10 million a year. We were paying Kenny 8 and he at least had some accolades. Oliver is unproven.

I also don’t get the obsession everyone has with resigning Campbell. He barely out produced who had less targets. Pierce is the same type of deep threat for less money.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Matt Ryan is not going to retire.  Why should he? Regardless of what the Colts may want him to do, it's not smart to walk away from his guaranteed money. 

Colts could still save 11 mil by just cutting him.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would not be paying a nickel corner coming off an ACL injury $10 million a year. We were paying Kenny 8 and he at least had some accolades. Oliver is unproven.

I also don’t get the obsession everyone has with resigning Campbell. He barely out produced who had less targets. Pierce is the same type of deep threat for less money.

2021 he tore his ACL. He played this year. I just feel like we never got the chance to really see what Campbell is rather that was injuries or poor usage. I wanna see what Steichen can do with him.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

2021 he tore his ACL. He played this year. I just feel like we never got the chance to really see what Campbell is rather that was injuries or poor usage. I wanna see what Steichen can do with him.

We’ll need a QB that can actually get him the ball. Campbell was open a lot las season on deep routes, but of course no one could get him the ball. 

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

We’ll need a QB that can actually get him the ball. Campbell was open a lot las season on deep routes, but of course no one could get him the ball. 

Which is why I'd like to see him with a Young or Stroud. Use him in the backfield and jet sweeps. Steichen will find ways to get him the ball that Frank never did.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Which is why I'd like to see him with a Young or Stroud. Use him in the backfield and jet sweeps. Steichen will find ways to get him the ball that Frank never did.

Yup. So many times I was losing my mind over how open Campbell would get and nothing came from it. 

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Based on what we saw from Pierce, I’d say that we can get the same from Pierce or somewhere else. Campbell is really a gadget player. I think Dulin would have filled the same role until his injury. It’s just cost saving for me. WR3 are easy to replace.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Based on what we saw from Pierce, I’d say that we can get the same from Pierce or somewhere else. Campbell is really a gadget player. I think Dulin would have filled the same role until his injury. It’s just cost saving for me. WR3 are easy to replace.

What is a gadget player? The whole offense sputtered and it effected all the offensive players including Campbell.  Imo Campbell will earn his money if he is resigned.  

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What is a gadget player? The whole offense sputtered and it effected all the offensive players including Campbell.  Imo Campbell will earn his money if he is resigned.  

Someone who will get most of their yards on designed touches. For WRs, it’s players who thrive on Jet sweeps, WR screens, end arounds, slants, quick outs, RAC throws, etc… That’s where Campbell is best. He hasn’t shown (not that any of our receivers have) that he can win on the outside vs man coverage consistently. He also doesn’t have a diverse Route tree. I think the role he fills is replaceable.

And I can agree that poor QB and OL play effected some of his performance, but you can say that for all of our receivers. Better QB play and Pierce may have out-produced him. He definitely proved his worth by staying healthy and producing, but I don’t know if that’s worth the money. Based on his numbers vs other receivers, he’s comparable to Mecole Hardman. Actually in skill set as well. 

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Someone who will get most of their yards on designed touches. For WRs, it’s players who thrive on Jet sweeps, WR screens, end arounds, slants, quick outs, RAC throws, etc… That’s where Campbell is best. He hasn’t shown (not that any of our receivers have) that he can win on the outside vs man coverage consistently. He also doesn’t have a diverse Route tree. I think the role he fills is replaceable.

And I can agree that poor QB and OL play effected some of his performance, but you can say that for all of our receivers. Better QB play and Pierce may have out-produced him. He definitely proved his worth by staying healthy and producing, but I don’t know if that’s worth the money. Based on his numbers vs other receivers, he’s comparable to Mecole Hardman. Actually in skill set as well. 

The Frank Reich offensive scheme wasn't conducive for any of the receivers. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's not like it would cost a lot to re-sign him and I can't see a huge market for him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived