Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If a top DE/OLB is available

If someone like a Shea McClellen is there with our 34th pick, do we take him and then trade Freeney for draft picks?

Remember, Grigson said we are most likely taking BPA regardless of position. So if we are staring at a top DE/OLB, and he is the top player on the board, do we do this?

I think we still take the top DE/OLB regardless but I still don't believe we are trading Freeney. I don't know the numbers exactly but I don't think we gain that much cap space if we trade that.

You haven't been keeping up on Freeney's contract much have ya? Getting rid of Freeney would save the Colts 14 million dollars. Thats a HUGE savings.

If Shea McClellin, Branch, Jones, Perry, Mercilus are there then take them. Freeney and Mathis are aging, Hughes and Hickman have to prove they can play. Having a top tier prospect at OLB would be great. It would allow the team to at least entertain trade offers for Freeney. I've heard rumblings about Miami looking at him but can't find the link.

If someone offered a 2nd for Freeney I would take it but I probably wouldn't use the pick on an OLB. I would use the 34th pick on Fleener and other 2nd on Janoris Jenkins, that way I could get an elite OLB like Jarvis Jones next year.

Grigson has said that Freeney will play with the Colts in 2012 , even if it does mean spending lots of money for one more year. Yes, the savings would be great and open up cap space for maybe even a couple more proven FAs. But since we are keeping Freeney, I do believe Shea McClellen would be a good rotational player and future starter.

I think we still take the top DE/OLB regardless but I still don't believe we are trading Freeney. I don't know the numbers exactly but I don't think we gain that much cap space if we trade that.

Freeney would clear up 14 mill in cap space.Didnt see Balzers post.14 mill is huge its 8.5 % of total cap.Going to say it again Freeney has no way of providing that much production to be worth that much cap.

Freeney would clear up 14 mill in cap space.Didnt see Balzers post.14 mill is huge its 8.5 % of total cap.Going to say it again Freeney has no way of providing that much production to be worth that much cap.

Is there anyway we could eat some of the contract (say 7-8 mil). It would be way easier to trade for picks if he was only 1/2 the contact.

Is there anyway we could eat some of the contract (say 7-8 mil). It would be way easier to trade for picks if he was only 1/2 the contact.

Hes already on the books for 5 mill signing bonus unless he restructures contract the only way to free it up is to release him.His total cap hit this year is 19 mill.