Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard isn’t going anywhere (he will be retained for 2023)

BlueShoe

23 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I said Herbert was the best player in that draft. I had Justin Jefferson as my second rated player. I even posted a thread on this board stating the Colts must do everything they can to go get Justin Herbert. The hate for my projection in that thread was strong too... I have tried to find that thread... But it has long been purged. As an admin, Superman might have some access to those old threads... Or they could just be forever purged. 

I just like bringing up stuff when I am wrong because I think it is funny looking back on things + I know I am not right all the time. I said we would be good and make the playoffs with Rivers before 2020. I also hated the Wentz trade. I nailed those.

Regarding QB's today, I look at teams needing really a top 8 QB in the league to win it all. It is just a QB's league. My rankings would be if healthy entering 2023 are:

1. Mahomes

2. Burrow

3. Hurts

4. Allen

5. Rodgers - older but I am just going by 2023

6. I have Jackson here - he will be 100%.

7. Lawrence

8. Herbert

-Dak has an argument for top 8. Cousins/Carr?? Russell Wilson looked real bad last year so who knows about him. Watson is also a mystery. A team like SF is loaded but their downfall will be QB play when they get deep in the playoffs. It has been proven many times now. If SF had a top 8 QB, they would probably win the SB. They usually go to the Championship Game or SB but lose. It will be interesting to see how good Purdy or Lance will be in 2023? Jimmy always took them far but lost. I think a QB like Matt Stafford is washed like Matt Ryan but he got his SB win.

Technically IMO we would have the best QB in the AFC South if we got Lamar but barely because Lawrence is coming and had a good year last year. We also have arguably the best RB in the division when healthy in Taylor, I think Henry will make the Hall of Fame one day but he has been used a lot.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not sure, but I think there's a bit of playfulness in your posting, right? Just want to confirm...

As for the bolded, yeah, I think bumping a thread to say 'I was right, and everyone who doubted me needs to know it' is textbook arrogance. Even though I know you're having fun with it. (For the record, no hidden/deleted posts in this thread. You can bask in all of its glory.)

In principle, I do agree that it's important for people to confront their own overreactions from time to time. And to your credit, you were right about Ballard, and you said at the time that you would bump this, so good job I guess? I just wonder if you would have done so if you had been wrong... But I guess we'll never know, because that doesn't seem to happen... Also for the record, I think I mostly agreed with your take at the time, so don't confuse me questioning your victory lap for me trying not to acknowledge having been wrong.

Also, I'm definitely not the one making this about you. 

There is absolutely some playfulness to it... For sure...

This board overreacts so much... And I get it. It is a fan board. But it is so funny when people are dead set in their convictions that they see no other possibility. They can see no other point of view. And they tend to lean on the media's take for proof of their thoughts. 

I just like for people to be authentic. Take a swing. If they project things correctly then great. And if they project something wrong, then they learn from it... And that helps to make more accurate future projections. 

It might not have been this thread that had a bunch of deleted posts... There were a bunch going on back then at the same time. I know there were people throwing a lot of shots at me back then, for my take on things. I know some of that stuff got deleted. For the record, I never complained or turned anyone in. I think a couple of moderators read the threads, and decided to take action. 

It is not about a victory lap... But people need to be told when they are wrong. People need to understand that there are other ways of looking at things... And that often the correct answer is not usually buried in the group think. I have told you this many times, but when I find myself in agreement with the consensus... That worries me, because I am probably missing something big. 

I preach this all the time... Embrace your mistakes... Own them... It is the only way people can grow. 

You have always been fair and honest. Our debates have always been civil... I respect the heck out of you for that. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just like bringing up stuff when I am wrong because I think it is funny looking back on things + I know I am not right all the time. I said we would be good and make the playoffs with Rivers before 2020. I also hated the Wentz trade. I nailed those.

Regarding QB's today, I look at teams needing really a top 8 QB in the league to win it all. It is just a QB's league. My rankings would be if healthy entering 2023 are:

1. Mahomes

2. Burrow

3. Hurts

4. Allen

7. Lawrence

8. Herbert

-Dak has an argument for top 8. Cousins/Carr?? Russell Wilson looked real bad last year so who knows about him. Watson is also a mystery. A team like SF is loaded but their downfall will be QB play when they get deep in the playoffs. It has been proven many times now. If SF had a top 8 QB, they would probably win the SB. They usually go to the Championship Game or SB but lose. It will be interesting to see how good Purdy or Lance will be in 2023? Jimmy always took them far but lost. I think a QB like Matt Stafford is washed like Matt Ryan but he got his SB win.

Technically IMO we would have the best QB in the AFC South if we got Lamar but barely because Lawrence is coming and had a good year last year. We also have arguably the best RB in the division when healthy in Taylor, I think Henry will make the Hall of Fame one day but he has been used a lot.

I was not sure on Burrow... I knew he would be very good... But I wasn't sold that he would be great. He had so much talent around him at LSU... It is just so hard to evaluate quarterbacks in those situations. Alabama quarterbacks used to be hard to evaluate too... For the same reasons. Now that the SEC is getting more balanced, it is easier to scout the Alabama quarterbacks. 

I think Bryce Young could be the next Drew Brees... The are so alike. The pocket movement... How well Young protects the ball as he is working in the pocket... He processes the field so well... It is hard to teach those things... He is going to be miles above most rookies coming into the NFL... The only knock on him is the height and durability. If he were 6'4" then he would be the Andrew Luck of this draft. 

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I was not sure on Burrow... I knew he would be very good... But I wasn't sold that he would be great. He had so much talent around him at LSU... It is just so hard to evaluate quarterbacks in those situations. Alabama quarterbacks used to be hard to evaluate too... For the same reasons. Now that the SEC is getting more balanced, it is easier to scout the Alabama quarterbacks. 

I think Bryce Young could be the next Drew Brees... The are so alike. The pocket movement... How well Young protects the ball as he is working in the pocket... He processes the field so well... It is hard to teach those things... He is going to be miles above most rookies coming into the NFL... The only knock on him is the height and durability. If he were 6'4" then he would be the Andrew Luck of this draft. 

Yeah I like Young the best out of the 4 top prospects. Burrow has the 'IT' factor, I said he would be good, I said Lawrence would be too. It took a year for Lawrence but he had a joke of a coach in his rookie season. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I like Young the best out of the 4 top prospects. Burrow is the 'IT' factor, I said he would be good, I said Lawrence would be too. It took a year for Lawrence but he had a joke of a coach in his rookie season. 

I scouted Lawrence all the way back in his high school days and followed his entire career... Yeah. Even back then, I knew he would be a number 1 pick. Sucks that the Colts have to play against him for the next decade or so. 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Mahomes

2. Burrow

3. Hurts

4. Allen

7. Lawrence

8. Herbert

In all of that thinking I was doing I forgot Daniel Jones lmao . Reason why is he isn't even top 10 but he has a huge contract coming. If Barkley stays healthy, Giants will be in the wildcard mix. Jones is better than average anyway. Eagles and Cowboys are pretty solid in that division.

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Sucks that the Colts have to play against him for the next decade or so. 

I think it's a good thing. The Colts can't coast through a dysfunctional division anymore. The team really needs to get its act together just to win the division, let alone compete in the playoffs. If nothing else, it should be a kick in the pants.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is why I still believe that is why they won’t go after Lamar. Ballard would have to have instant success with him. With a rookie he will get a little time to build around that rookie.

I think plan A is to draft a QB... If that falls apart then I think Lamar is plan B, C, or D... 

I believe that Minshew is the fallback plan. 

Just now, Superman said:

I think it's a good thing. The Colts can't coast through a dysfunctional division anymore. The team really needs to get its act together just to win the division, let alone compete in the playoffs. If nothing else, it should be a kick in the pants.

I agree that is good for the Colts... But I scouted this kid for 5 years before he was drafted. I became a fan of his game... That is the part that sucks for me... I would have been much happier seeing him go the an NFC team. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yeah because one thing people won't be able to say every year is, we won the division because it was weak. I think the Jags will probably be a 10 or 11 win team now for years just because of Lawrence unless they fail to put very little around him.

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree that is good for the Colts... But I scouted this kid for 5 years before he was drafted. I became a fan of his game... That is the part that sucks for me... I would have been much happier seeing him go the an NFC team. 

People were convinced he would be the #1 pick before Watson even went to the NFL. I wasn't watching him closely but once he got on the field, it was obvious that he was talented. I picked him apart some and think he still has a lot to work on, but his bounce back after a really tough rookie year is impressive. And he has big time guts, shown in that playoff comeback (even though the Chargers coaching staff really blew that one...) 

I'm not as big a fan as you are, but I like it when there's real competition in the division. And unlike 2017 when the Jags were a flash in the pan, this team can be good for the foreseeable future. Ballard and Steichen better be ready.

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think plan A is to draft a QB... If that falls apart then I think Lamar is plan B, C, or D... 

I believe that Minshew is the fallback plan. 

I could see that as well. Ballard and company will see how the draft plays out, and if they get the guy they want at QB, then obviously they won't be pursuing hard on Lamar. If the draft doesn't play out in their favor, then they will look to possibly offer up a future 1st or so for Lamar. That's probably the smart way to handle it anyways, as I would think they would rather give up a later 1st with Lamar on the team, than the 4th overall pick. 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

People were convinced he would be the #1 pick before Watson even went to the NFL. I wasn't watching him closely but once he got on the field, it was obvious that he was talented. I picked him apart some and think he still has a lot to work on, but his bounce back after a really tough rookie year is impressive. And he has big time guts, shown in that playoff comeback (even though the Chargers coaching staff really blew that one...) 

I'm not as big a fan as you are, but I like it when there's real competition in the division. And unlike 2017 when the Jags were a flash in the pan, this team can be good for the foreseeable future. Ballard and Steichen better be ready.

I don't think there were many people saying he would be the number 1 pick in the draft way back then... I have a friend from the area who told me about this long haired high school kid... This was long before he even committed to Clemson. I watched him play... And yeah... It was obvious to me. I thoroughly scouted him for about 5 years. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I could see that as well. Ballard and company will see how the draft plays out, and if they get the guy they want at QB, then obviously they won't be pursuing hard on Lamar. If the draft doesn't play out in their favor, then they will look to possibly offer up a future 1st or so for Lamar. That's probably the smart way to handle it anyways, as I would think they would rather give up a later 1st with Lamar on the team, than the 4th overall pick. 

Correct. That is how I see it too. 

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think there were many people saying he would be the number 1 pick in the draft way back then... I have a friend from the area who told me about this long haired high school kid... This was long before he even committed to Clemson. I watched him play... And yeah... It was obvious to me. I thoroughly scouted him for about 5 years. 

I watched the coaches room broadcast on ESPN during Watson's last game at Clemson, the championship game vs Alabama. Those guys were proclaiming Lawrence as the next big thing during that game, while Watson was leading a 4th quarter comeback with more than 400 total yards and 4 TDs.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have unfortunately chuckling homer simpson GIF- I do it because I don't want to come off as being arrogant or Mr know it all. I have been right a lot but also wrong at times. Me saying Matt Ryan would be good  and we would make the playoffs still steams me, but our whole season was a shock! I never dreamed our O.Line would struggle or Taylor and Leonard would be injured a lot.

You would never see me bumping a thread about Jordan Love. Well... unless he lights the world on fire this coming season... then I might. :P 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

You would never see me bumping a thread about Jordan Love. Well... unless he lights the world on fire this coming season... then I might. :P 

Yeah I know you really liked him/thought he would be good. You never know, he has his chance now in GB finally. If he plays good you may have been on to something.

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's possible the division is still dysfunctional.... just the dysfunction has moved to other teams.. :dunno:

21 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I said Herbert was the best player in that draft. I had Justin Jefferson as my second rated player. I even posted a thread on this board stating the Colts must do everything they can to go get Justin Herbert. The hate for my projection in that thread was strong too... I have tried to find that thread... But it has long been purged. As an admin, Superman might have some access to those old threads... Or they could just be forever purged. 

This one??

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This one??

No. But wow, I made that way too early 2019 board an entire year before the 2019 draft. That was literally the week after the 2018 NFL draft. That was a damn good projection, from a year out. 

I figured out why I never found the thread I am referring to though. In the title, I said I want number 10, instead of Justin Herbert. 

Archived