Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman Speaks Out

dw49

14 hours ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Oddly the last year I actually remember us being balanced whatsoever was Andrew's last year in 2018. TY and Doyle were still in their prime and Marlon was playing very well.

In 2018, Luck did what he wanted. Reich added stuff to the scheme, but it didn't change much. We saw the same routes, route combos, etc.. And TY was running the same routes, and used the same as a previous years.

TY's YPCatch was 16ish per year pre=2019. After 2018, his YPC crashed due because of route changes. He was used as more or less as a possession WR. 

If you look around the league at the most successful teams and what they do, it's a ton of lateral movement at the QB position. QB'S don't have to be Lamar Jackson but they do have to be quick enough laterally to escape pressure and extend broken plays. Most DT's move like the DE's of yesteryear. A gap sacks and pressures are becoming more common place with each new crop of DT's and LB's.

Yup. DLs, and front 7s in general, are more accurate. But there is still a lot of diversity from team to team. TN is an interesting (to me at least). Autry is playing both OLB and DT. IIRC, playing more OLB this year. But they have big/power/quick guys. Not sure, but pretty sure they are top 5 in D efficiency, pts allowed, and 3rd conversions

On QBs.... I prefer QBs that are able to scramble, but not a "runner". Mahomes is a passer first, but can scramble when needed. And agree lateral movement is important. Very important, if the OL sucks lol. 

I realize the carousel at QB has been a disaster and that has to be taken into account with Reich. On the same token this is the NFL. You are paid well to make the adjustments and highlight your strengths and mask your weaknesses as a HC. 

I will say this. If Irsay was the one who made the call to play Sam and Sam comes in and absolutely plays lights out. It absolutely looks horrible. Not only on Reich but on Ballard for giving up yet another pick on a answer when the answer was QB3 on the depth chart. It's a long shot that it happens. But if it does I don't see how that's excusable from a talent evaluation standpoint. 

Either way (Sam good, decent, or bad), regardless, tells us zero... lol... 

If he is bad... folks will say he wasn't great in college, and he was late round pick. So not shocked. 

If he is decent... folks mobility will say he helped the OL, and his short game fits better with Reich's short scheme.

If he is great... long odds here on this one... but if he turns to be great, Ballard will get credit for the draft pick. 

Personally, I think we'll go back to bully ball, like when JB was here. At least early. 

On 10/24/2022 at 11:14 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Let's be honest this season is over. The best we can hope for is that Sam shows he can be the guy. I see this team finishing with maybe 7 wins.  Reich and Ballard are dead men walking. They know the only way to save their jobs is for Sam to be a diamond in the rough. The only problem is this. This Oline shows no signs of improving and because it can't as  it has no LT or RG and the other supposed all pro talent is a joke!!

I agree with much of what you say.  Ehlinger is basically Ballard's hail mary.

But the OL has enough pieces to run a balanced offense.  Admittedly I wouldn't drop back 50 times behind them because the QB would get killed.  Split that in half, however, with a solid attempt by Frank to get to 30 carries and I think they may be good enough to win a couple more than that.  Yes, I know, what can I say other than I am an unabashed optimist of the highest order.

Now if by some miracle Ehlinger plays well enough to consider him the starter next season, things look rather good.  Maybe at that point our GM will address LT as a priority and move up if necessary, and then maybe we have something.  And also if the Colts look like they have a QB they suddenly are on Sean Payton's dance card and they no longer have broccoli in their teeth.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

In 2018, Luck did what he wanted. Reich added stuff to the scheme, but it didn't change much. We saw the same routes, route combos, etc.. And TY was running the same routes, and used the same as a previous years.

TY's YPCatch was 16ish per year pre=2019. After 2018, his YPC crashed due because of route changes. He was used as more or less as a possession WR. 

Yup. DLs, and front 7s in general, are more accurate. But there is still a lot of diversity from team to team. TN is an interesting (to me at least). Autry is playing both OLB and DT. IIRC, playing more OLB this year. But they have big/power/quick guys. Not sure, but pretty sure they are top 5 in D efficiency, pts allowed, and 3rd conversions

On QBs.... I prefer QBs that are able to scramble, but not a "runner". Mahomes is a passer first, but can scramble when needed. And agree lateral movement is important. Very important, if the OL sucks lol. 

Either way (Sam good, decent, or bad), regardless, tells us zero... lol... 

If he is bad... folks will say he wasn't great in college, and he was late round pick. So not shocked. 

If he is decent... folks mobility will say he helped the OL, and his short game fits better with Reich's short scheme.

If he is great... long odds here on this one... but if he turns to be great, Ballard will get credit for the draft pick. 

Personally, I think we'll go back to bully ball, like when JB was here. At least early. 

Very nice to have a discussion on here and disagree and get actually reasoning behind why you disagree. 

Awesome stat about TY. He used to live in the deep middle with Andrew if memory serves. Heck it seems like forever ago.

You're probably 100 percent correct on the Ballard front though. I'll admit sometimes I let my frustrations with the FO and Reich cloud my judgment. He more than likely spin that into "We believed in Sam" or "Insert Ballardism Here" and come out looking like a genius for knowing he needed more QB depth. Lol

13 hours ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Very nice to have a discussion on here and disagree and get actually reasoning behind why you disagree. 

Awesome stat about TY. He used to live in the deep middle with Andrew if memory serves. Heck it seems like forever ago.

Yup, TY was all over the field, deep and intermediate middle, and also deep sideline. And when we had bad OLs, we still managed to go deep at times (early downs, max protect, etc). Since 2019, TY was mostly limited to short possession routes on the sideline. Hated route after route to the short flats. Such a waste. 

13 hours ago, FuedinHatfield said:

You're probably 100 percent correct on the Ballard front though. I'll admit sometimes I let my frustrations with the FO and Reich cloud my judgment. He more than likely spin that into "We believed in Sam" or "Insert Ballardism Here" and come out looking like a genius for knowing he needed more QB depth. Lol

Could be Ballard too. It's just hard to know. But we know both Reich and Irsay have fingerprints for sure. 

In terms of who did what (decisions), only they know. 

But TBH, I won't be sad if all are gone after the season. 

Archived