Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should We Trade For Asante Samuel? [Merge]

FightLikeSin

Freeney's cap hit is unreasonable, given the state of the franchise. When you're up against the cap and you have an easily identifiable cap strangler, the player then becomes the boogey man. Not fair, or right, but it's the way it is. I, for one, am less concerned about his ability to fit in the new defense than I am with his cap hit.

Mathis' signing bonus isn't all against the cap in one season. And if you extend Freeney right now, you can save money against the cap this season, and you don't put yourself in position to pay him a signing bonus next season. The way it stands right now, they'll pay him $14 million this year, and then if they want to keep him, they'll have to pay another $14 million+ next season in signing bonus alone.

So if you believe with any reasonable degree of certainty that he fits into your vision for this defense (and Pagano certainly claims that he does), then why not save some money by extending him? I think it's common sense.

I don't agree with the idea that Freeney has done anything wrong. I think people should just be patient and see what happens around and after the draft.

The reason you don't extend him now is that, from most accounts, it seems Freeney is unsure about doing this. Better to play out the last year of your deal to see if you fit this scheme, than to extend your contract and give your team control over where you wind up next season if you don't fit (or have a down year).

While I understand how the money hits this year, the point is that both guys will be paid upwards of 14 million (each) this season to play a position they've never played. Not cap dollars, but real dollars coming out of Irsay's pockets. That to me isn't an issue if the front office knows what to do to manage the cap.

Basically, this is a trial offer. It's in Freeney's best interest to play it out for a year and see how he fairs at his current figure, or get the team to cut him so he can sign elsewhere. Chicago would be an ideal landing spot as he is familiar with the scheme, and would be across from another great pass rusher in Peppers.

In any case, I think the lack of any progress in an extension lies on Freeney's side. He's not sure he is going to fit (ala Haynesworth), so he isn't going to ask for an extension if he winds up deciding that he wants out next year.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason you don't extend him now is that, from most accounts, it seems Freeney is unsure about doing this. Better to play out the last year of your deal to see if you fit this scheme, than to extend your contract and give your team control over where you wind up next season if you don't fit (or have a down year).

What accounts are those? The reports that Freeney turned down an extension that Grigson says we never offered? The only information out there that suggests that Freeney doesn't like what his new role will be is Keith Bullock's comments, which were never validated by Freeney. Pagano has said over and over that Freeney will be used as a three-point rusher quite often. Freeney hasn't said much, so we really don't know how he feels.

While I understand how the money hits this year, the point is that both guys will be paid upwards of 14 million (each) this season to play a position they've never played. Not cap dollars, but real dollars coming out of Irsay's pockets. That to me isn't an issue if the front office knows what to do to manage the cap.

Basically, this is a trial offer. It's in Freeney's best interest to play it out for a year and see how he fairs at his current figure, or get the team to cut him so he can sign elsewhere. Chicago would be an ideal landing spot as he is familiar with the scheme, and would be across from another great pass rusher in Peppers.

The real money is Irsay's business. But if you keep him this year and pay him a $14 million salary, and then you turn around a pay a signing bonus next year, you've just wasted money, both cap dollars and real dollars. Plus, he'll be a year older, and you'll likely have to tag him at close to $24 million (125% of his 2012 cap hit). Bad business. Just letting him walk after paying him $14 million is also bad business, when you could at least trade him for a mid-round pick. It just doesn't make sense to ignore his contract, given the state of the team.

In any case, I think the lack of any progress in an extension lies on Freeney's side. He's not sure he is going to fit (ala Haynesworth), so he isn't going to ask for an extension if he winds up deciding that he wants out next year.

That could be the case, but the only thing we've seen Freeney do in the past few weeks is hire an agent. And like Grigson said, they haven't offered him an extension at this point. I could see him preferring to be released so he can go wherever he wants, but the team has shown no interest in doing that. If the Pats could get a 2nd rounder for Richard Seymour, we can get a 4th rounder for Dwight Freeney, even without an extension. Why release him?