Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bye Week look at Colts/Positions not under contract in 2022: Info, Poll, and Chat

EastStreet

Bye Week look at Colts/Positions not under contract in 2022: Info, Poll, and Chat  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2: We have or had 9 2022 FAs in starter or co-starter roles. What position are you filling with the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

• LT (currently Fisher)
    • CB (currently Rhodes)
    • RG (currently Glow)
    • WR Z (currently Hilton, with injured Campbell, PS Coutee, and Dulin options under contract)
    • WR Slot (currently Pascal, with injured Campbell, PS Coutee, and Dulin option under contract)
    • DE 2A (currently AQM, perhaps giving way to Dayo as primary DE role)
    • DE 2B (tweener role was Lewis before injury, Dayo is also a tweener type if they don't concentrate his use at DE)
    • TE (currently Mo Alie Cox. Granson is not really a prototypical TE, so not really a replacement option)
    • FS (currently Sendejo, but likely return to Blackman unless they move him to SS)
  2. 2. Pick 2: We have or had 9 2022 FAs in starter or co-starter roles. What position are you filling with higher end FAs.

• LT (currently Fisher)
    • CB (currently Rhodes)
    • RG (currently Glow)
    • WR Z (currently Hilton, with injured Campbell, PS Coutee, and Dulin options under contract)
    • WR Slot (currently Pascal, with injured Campbell, PS Coutee, and Dulin option under contract)
    • DE 2B (tweener role was Lewis before injury, Dayo is also a tweener type if they don't concentrate his use at DE)
    • TE (currently Mo Alie Cox. Granson is not really a prototypical TE, so not really a replacement option)
    • FS (currently Sendejo, but likely return to Blackman unless they move him to SS)
  3. 3. Pick 3: We have or had 9 2022 FAs in starter or co-starter roles. What players/position are you re-signing.

• LT (currently Fisher)
    • CB (currently Rhodes)
    • RG (currently Glow)
  4. 4. Pick 1: Who is the most likely non-starter player to get promoted into a starter role on Offense

• Pinter (to OG)
    • Dulin (to slot or Z)
    • Patmon (to slot or Z, not X)
    • Strachan (to X with Pittman sharing time at X and slot)
    • Pryor to one of the T positions
    • Reed (to OG)
    • Coutee (to Z or slot)
  5. 5. Pick 1: Who is the most likely non-starter player to get promoted into a starter role on Defense (going to assume Dayo is at least co-starter at DE)

• Rodgers (to starting CB replacing Rhodes)
    • Speed (to SAM with Franklin as a FA, or even MIKE)
  6. 6. Bonus Q1: Are you happy with the D scheme (heavy zone secondary, vanilla DL)?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/2021 at 04:08 AM

Just looking ahead in terms of the offseason during the bye week.

Not diving deep into $ and roster projections just yet, just getting a good feel for those who is not under contract with 4 games to go (several need to show something)

With the above in mind, starting to think about what we'll do with the limited early draft capital (2nd and 3rd rounders), mid rounds (4th and 5th), and limited cap (FAs and re-signs) with so many open holes. Adding some polls on those areas just to see where folks are at this time.

I'll post my thoughts on the starter holes a bit later. 

Please share your thought on how you'd fill the 9 FA starter roles, and any other. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Assumes $208M salary cap
Colts $58M in cap space per Sportrac

Apologies if Sportrac is off, or if I fail math lol.

Note: While Q Nelson is not a FA, most expect that he'll be extended in 2022. It's highly likely he'll be the highest paid guard. Currently, the highest paid guard is $18M. So I think it's fair to estimate $20M. That would leave us with around $52M if we up his current salary to $20M in 2022.  Also, earlier rumors that Doyle may retire after this year, and that could be a $6ishM savings.

FA Status/Position Summary

• 9 Starters: WR2, WR3, TE, LT, RG, CB, S*, DE2A, DE2B. = $38.5M
  • 10 Rotational/Key STs: WR4, OG3, OT3, LB3, 3T2, DE4, DE5, S4, CB3/4, K2 = $12.6M
  • 9 Other = $9.3M

-------------------------------------
Total - 28 players - $60.4M

Starters / Co-Starter

• WR TY Hilton (32) - 8M
    • Only 177 yards so far in 2022. 463 yards away from 10k. 
    • I have a feeling he'll be back. Give him $2M + 1M for every 100 yards
  • WR Zach Pascal (26) - 3.4M
    • I think he'll be back after he tests the market. Needs to be depth IMO.
  • TE Mo Alie-Cox (28) - 3.4M
    • Great stats when used. Rumors of Doyle retiring make him a big need.
    • If Doyle does retire, that could be roughly 6.2M savings. Hope he stays though.
  • LT Eric Fisher (31) - 8.4M
    • Good run blocking, still lacking in pass pro. I don't know..... 
  • RG Mark Glowinski (30) - 5.4M
    • Has really done well lately after feeling comp from Reed.
  • CB Xavier Rhodes (31) - 4.8M
    • Played well last game. Can he keep it up? Need the future CB1/2 regardless.
  • S Andrew Sendejo (34) - 1.1M
    • Probably his last season. Old but delivering. And a bargain. JB likely back to FS in 2022.
  • DE2A Al-Quadin Muhammad (27) - 2.9M
    • Might not be flashy, or a DE1, but would love to have him back.
  • DE2B Tyquan Lewis (27) - 1.1M
    • Played well before injury. Tweeners are valuable. 

-------------------------------------------------------
Total 2021 Cost - 38.5M
That's very cheap for all the key positions.... 

Key Depth/Rotational or Key Specia Teams

• WR Ashton Dulin (25) -  RFA - 0.5M
    • RFA, so it's likely a given he'll be back. Good thing IMO
  • OG Chris Reed (29) - 1.1M
    • Nice year, and bargain price. Hope he sticks.
  • OT Matt Pryor (27) - 0.7M
    • Best value/bargain of the year hands down. Hope he stays.
  • LB Zaire Franklin (25) - 0.6M
    • Great STs and steady D snaps when needed. 
  • DT Taylor Stallworth (26) - 0.8M
    • Broke out a bit this year. Great bargain.
  • DE Kemoko Turay (26) - 1.3M
    • Has the best sack/snap ratio on the team. Only Defo has more.
  • DE Isaac Rochell (27) - 2.5M
    • If Dayo is a go, don't see Rochell and Lewis both back. One or the other.
  • S George Odum (28) - 2.1M
    • Key special teams, but not sure if we'll pay.
  • CB TJ Carrie (31) - 2.1M
    • Let's see how he does now that he's back from IR
  • K Michael Badgley (26) - 0.9M
    • I have no idea here.

--------------------------------------------------------
Total 2021 Cost - 12.6M

Other Depth, STs, and PS

• RB Marlon Mack (26) - 2.0M
    • I think we all know he's gone
  • WR Quartney Davis (24) - ERFA - 0.7M
    • Not sure. Probably remains PS 
  • OT Sam Tevi (27) - 2.5M
    • Don't see him coming back
  • OT Julie'n Davenport (27) - 1.1M
    • Same as above
  • OG Jake Elderkamp (28) - 0.1M
    • Have no idea
  • DT Antwaun Woods (29) - 0.9M
    • Ups and downs. Don't know
  • DT Rob Windsor (25) - ERFA - 0.7M
    • Back if we want him. 
  • LB Skai Moore (27) - RFA - 0.5M
    • Not sure, but RFA
  • CB Nick Nelson (25) - ERFA - 0.8M
    • Not sure, but easy bring back if wanted

-------------------------------------------------------
Total 2021 Cost - 9.3M

NOTE

Ages rounded up
Salary rounded up
UFA unless otherwise notated

Given the same limitations in the poll (2R and 3R picks, 2 new higher end FAs, and re-signing 3 starters), I'd fill the 2022 FA starter holes with....

1. 2R - CB: Good CB class. 
  2. 3R - WR: Good and deep WR class, full of Z/slot types
  3. FA1 - LT: Leno if Fisher is still struggling in pass pro. Several other FAs that are solid as well.
  4. FA2 - FS: Safeties are one of the cheaper positions. Move JB to SS where I think he can be a Pro Bowl type guy. We'd be much better in both C2 and C1 or 3
  5. Re-sign 1 TE: Mo. He won't be expensive, and is under utilized
  6. Re-sign 2 RG: Glow. Playing well and has been a great and healthy weak link on the OL
  7. Re-sign 3 DE: AQM. Dayo will be starter but fill a tweener roll. AQM is solid rotation. Maybe add a cheap PRS too. 
  8. Internal WR: Let Campbell, Dulin, Coutee (if we keep him) battle it out for the one of the two spots. 

53 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Given the same limitations in the poll (2R and 3R picks, 2 new higher end FAs, and re-signing 3 starters), I'd fill the 2022 FA starter holes with....

1. 2R - CB: Good CB class. 
  2. 3R - WR: Good and deep WR class, full of Z/slot types
  3. FA1 - LT: Leno if Fisher is still struggling in pass pro. Several other FAs that are solid as well.
  4. FA2 - FS: Safeties are one of the cheaper positions. Move JB to SS where I think he can be a Pro Bowl type guy. We'd be much better in both C2 and C1 or 3
  5. Re-sign 1 TE: Mo. He won't be expensive, and is under utilized
  6. Re-sign 2 RG: Glow. Playing well and has been a great and healthy weak link on the OL
  7. Re-sign 3 DE: AQM. Dayo will be starter but fill a tweener roll. AQM is solid rotation. Maybe add a cheap PRS too. 
  8. Internal WR: Let Campbell, Dulin, Coutee (if we keep him) battle it out for the one of the two spots. 

Sweet baby Jesus - is there a CliffsNotes version?

Really, it's too early to tell, depending on who falls to us in the 2nd round.  But right now my back of the envelope plan would be:

• Draft CB Kaiir Elam, Florida
  • Draft Jaxson Kirkland, OT, Washington
  • Re-sign Eric Fisher (Kirkland isn't ready to start, but will hopefully be the longer term solution at LT)
  • Find a FA Z receiver, since TY will be gone and Campbell is an extreme iffy
  • Start CB Rodgers and possibly G Reed (bye bye Rhodes and possibly Glow)
  • Re-sign both AQM and Lewis

At least, that's the idea right now.  Too bad that free agency starts before the draft, since so much of what we ought to do will depend on who is available in the mid-2nd round.

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Really, it's too early to tell, depending on who falls to us in the 2nd round.  But right now my back of the envelope plan would be:

• Draft CB Kaiir Elam, Florida
  • Draft Jaxson Kirkland, OT, Washington
  • Re-sign Eric Fisher (Kirkland isn't ready to start, but will hopefully be the longer term solution at LT)
  • Find a FA Z receiver, since TY will be gone and Campbell is an extreme iffy
  • Start CB Rodgers and possibly G Reed (bye bye Rhodes and possibly Glow)
  • Re-sign both AQM and Lewis

At least, that's the idea right now.  Too bad that free agency starts before the draft, since so much of what we ought to do will depend on who is available in the mid-2nd round.

The good news is that WR, CB, and T are all pretty good this year as far as big boards are so far.

IMO, WR is the best out of all positions in terms of depth. So might find some very very good value in the 3rd, or perhaps an out-of-the-box stud in the 2nd. Going to look deeper at big boards this week or next. 

Overall, going BNA (best need available) with both our first 2 picks between those 3 positions. Might be tempted to go FS if an elite one drops.  

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

A bit surprised so many are picking Reed as the most likely to take over/get promoted.

Glow has separated himself after getting threatened earlier, and the cost of either would be similar. 

If we're going to start a newb at RG, I'd put my money on Pinter. 

I think it may come down to dollars and cents.  Or, dollars and sense. 

Not sure Glow gets a 3-year offer from the Colts?    So, maybe a 2-year and $10-11m?   But Reed might gladly take a smaller deal.   2/6-7?    The difference might come in handy.  

And I completely agree, Glow has outplayed Reed.  I think Glow and Smith are clearly great side by side.  The two may only share one good brain, and I mean that in the best way possible.  But dollars may trump all else. 

Just thinking out loud.  

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it may come down to dollars and cents.  Or, dollars and sense. 

Not sure Glow gets a 3-year offer from the Colts?    So, maybe a 2-year and $10-11m?   But Reed might gladly take a smaller deal.   2/6-7?    The difference might come in handy.  

And I completely agree, Glow has outplayed Reed.  I think Glow and Smith are clearly great side by side.  The two may only share one good brain, and I mean that in the best way possible.  But dollars may trump all else. 

Just thinking out loud.  

Could be. I wouldn't be shocked if RG was Glow, Reed, or even Pinter. If $ are that big of a concern, Pinter could get the nod. And we are likely to bump the cap again.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Could be. I wouldn't be shocked if RG was Glow, Reed, or even Pinter. If $ are that big of a concern, Pinter could get the nod. And we are likely to bump the cap again.

Yes, I’m absolutely expecting to bump the cap again.    I think our days of not spending are over.    I think we flirt with the cap from here on out as long as our window stays open.   

:cash:

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, I’m absolutely expecting to bump the cap again.    I think our days of not spending are over.    I think we flirt with the cap from here on out as long as our window stays open.   

:cash:

I think next year @EastStreet and you @NewColtsFanwe go all in. We have a good team but not great, but if we give Wentz, Taylor, Pitt, Leonard, Defo, Moore, better players we could win a Championship. Sounds funny but it could happen, our O.Line is great. Nelson has been injured all season and he still better than 90% of the guys out there.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just off simple math, we'll need to replace roughly 60M current, with only 58M... 

So either they go cheap in some areas, or make some cost cutting moves. 

Specifically at RG, I don't think there will be much $ difference between Glow and Reed. If they need/want to save money there, I'd just go with Pinter to be honest. If Reed is somehow significantly cheaper, I'm fine with that too. 

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think next year @EastStreet and you @NewColtsFanwe go all in. We have a good team but not great, but if we give Wentz, Taylor, Pitt, Leonard, Defo, Moore, better players we could win a Championship. Sounds funny but it could happen, our O.Line is great. Nelson has been injured all season and he still better than 90% of the guys out there.

We have an O that can play. Our D though... But yes, I think we go all in, or as much as possible $ wise, but we don't really have the money to go on massive spending spree given the holes we have. I think a change in D scheme is just as needed as upgrades on the D side. 

To me, we need a new starting CB and WR, and I'd take another TE if the board falls the right way.

The rest has to come from the young guys, especially at Edge. I'd take a stab at a veteran pass rusher if the right guy gets to FA, but realistically our best chance lies with Paye/Turay really stepping up next season. I feel like Dayo and Lewis (if he comes back) would be more tweeners than edge rushers moving forward.

At OL, having to figure out RG isn't a big deal. I'm okay with letting Glow walk if he wants, but if he accepts a modest deal to stay that would be great. He's always on the field on game day, the only lineman that can say that this season. I'm also okay with Reed/Pinter competing for that spot, because I do think Glow's ability is replaceable. But I'm not just going to show him the door. The other decision is Fisher, but that one will be about money as well. I guess if I had to choose, I'd keep Fisher and let Glow walk.

TY can stay on a very team friendly deal, if he wants. I would think he'd want to go one more season, because this year hasn't gone the way he hoped due to injury. I think he can still be productive if he's healthy, and can work into a rhythm with Wentz. But I don't think we can go into the season with the same WR corps we have now, we need to add a real playmaker to complement Pittman. I'm fine with Campbell coming back, but we can't rely on him.

At corner, Rock and Rodgers have stepped up some, but neither of them are very good. This is another position where I think we have to add a proven performer next season. I think we can make our safeties work, but I wouldn't mind adding another rangy guy who can make plays. It's also not a given that Blackmon will get back to his level of play.

I think we can sustain any other losses -- Pascal, MAC, Rhodes, etc. But we have to get better at CB, WR, and Edge. I'd let basically any of our pending FAs walk if it means improving at those three positions. And I'd rather not have to replace the LT again.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

To me, we need a new starting CB and WR, and I'd take another TE if the board falls the right way.

The rest has to come from the young guys, especially at Edge. I'd take a stab at a veteran pass rusher if the right guy gets to FA, but realistically our best chance lies with Paye/Turay really stepping up next season. I feel like Dayo and Lewis (if he comes back) would be more tweeners than edge rushers moving forward.

At OL, having to figure out RG isn't a big deal. I'm okay with letting Glow walk if he wants, but if he accepts a modest deal to stay that would be great. He's always on the field on game day, the only lineman that can say that this season. I'm also okay with Reed/Pinter competing for that spot, because I do think Glow's ability is replaceable. But I'm not just going to show him the door. The other decision is Fisher, but that one will be about money as well. I guess if I had to choose, I'd keep Fisher and let Glow walk.

TY can stay on a very team friendly deal, if he wants. I would think he'd want to go one more season, because this year hasn't gone the way he hoped due to injury. I think he can still be productive if he's healthy, and can work into a rhythm with Wentz. But I don't think we can go into the season with the same WR corps we have now, we need to add a real playmaker to complement Pittman. I'm fine with Campbell coming back, but we can't rely on him.

At corner, Rock and Rodgers have stepped up some, but neither of them are very good. This is another position where I think we have to add a proven performer next season. I think we can make our safeties work, but I wouldn't mind adding another rangy guy who can make plays. It's also not a given that Blackmon will get back to his level of play.

I think we can sustain any other losses -- Pascal, MAC, Rhodes, etc. But we have to get better at CB, WR, and Edge. I'd let basically any of our pending FAs walk if it means improving at those three positions. And I'd rather not have to replace the LT again.

Question. Do you think scheme has held back some on either side (D or O?). While I agree we probably need a vet PRS on the DL, I think our vanilla fronts have made it overly easy on opponent OL. I also think our possession heavy route offense an personnel usage has held back some skill players on O from either developing, or playing to their niche. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Question. Do you think scheme has held back some on either side (D or O?). While I agree we probably need a vet PRS on the DL, I think our vanilla fronts have made it overly easy on opponent OL. I also think our possession heavy route offense an personnel usage has held back some skill players on O from either developing, or playing to their niche. 

He isn't logged on right now but is a great poster so I am sure he will answer you better than me because all I can say is I hate our scheme. We have talented players like Defo, Leonard, Moore, etc.. We still give up way to many underneath stuff and that is Mac Jones strength which scares me.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He isn't logged on right now but is a great poster so I am sure he will answer you better than me because all I can say is I hate our scheme. We have talented players like Defo, Leonard, Moore, etc.. We still give up way to many underneath stuff and that is Mac Jones strength which scares me.

Yup, I know. He's always great at responding. 

I don't necessarily hate the scheme itself, but I do hate the way it's called. We could far more aggressive within the scheme. More blitzing, more stunting, less cushion, etc.. Same with the O. 

I've always been a huge Reed fan and wont disagree Glow has outplayed him but think the reasoning all along was he would accept much less then Glow next season and came here to become part of the future. Reed's pff numbers are likely lower then would be due to holding  penalty's some of which we witnessed were questionable at best. I'm also a Pinter fan and think he is a great interior backup at all 3 spots, he outplayed Kelly in limited time (I also like Pryor, this is the best depth we have had in years).

Our biggest hole is Free Safety, I tip my hat to Sendejo said before he has punched above his weight all season and deserves accolades  but he isnt who you really want back there going forward. Not sure Blackmon is a Free either, he may be more a Strong and hard to tell if he comes back 100%...so lets really address the issue be it draft pick or Free agency.

WR is very interesting because we have great depth, Keke Coutee cant even make our regular roster...but we dont really have a solid healthy 2. P.C. could be it but he cant stay healthy to save his life. Pascal is NOT a 2...Dulin maybe, Ive been super impressed by how much he has improved but wouldnt depend on him just yet. Patmon and Strachon two big wr who we have nothing really to go on.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

I've always been a huge Reed fan and wont disagree Glow has outplayed him but think the reasoning all along was he would accept much less then Glow next season and came here to become part of the future. Reed's pff numbers are likely lower then would be due to holding  penalty's some of which we witnessed were questionable at best. I'm also a Pinter fan and think he is a great interior backup at all 3 spots, he outplayed Kelly in limited time (I also like Pryor, this is the best depth we have had in years).

I'm OK with any of the 3. If the salary difference is minimal, and I think it will be, I'll take Glow. I doubt he'll get big offers on the open market, and have a feeling he'd love to retire here. Will be interesting to follow, but RG is probably one my lowest concerns. Far more concerned with LT. 

Our biggest hole is Free Safety, I tip my hat to Sendejo said before he has punched above his weight all season and deserves accolades  but he isnt who you really want back there going forward. Not sure Blackmon is a Free either, he may be more a Strong and hard to tell if he comes back 100%...so lets really address the issue be it draft pick or Free agency.

I agree here 100%. Sendejo has punched well above his weight, and we've kinda lucked out with him. 

Overall, both he and Blackmon weren't great tackling. I thought Blackmon would be much better. He missed 5 Ts in 6 games. Sendejo missed 9 in 11 games. The big difference has been coverage. Blackmon allowed a passer rating of 134.7 (plain horrible), and Sendejo 77.9 (very good). The injury, which is his second major injury in 3 years, just makes FS an even bigger concern next year. 

WR is very interesting because we have great depth, Keke Coutee cant even make our regular roster...but we dont really have a solid healthy 2. P.C. could be it but he cant stay healthy to save his life. Pascal is NOT a 2...Dulin maybe, Ive been super impressed by how much he has improved but wouldnt depend on him just yet. Patmon and Strachon two big wr who we have nothing really to go on.

I think our WR personnel use has been uber conservative, and uber possession oriented. 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yes absolutely. 

One example, look at how poorly Lamar Jackson has performed against the blitz. Not a bad week here or there, he fundamentally can't handle being blitzed. Our defense refused to blitz him for the entire second half, and he destroyed us.

We've all discussed the run/pass rhythm on offense, especially in light of the fact that our RB is the hottest offensive player in the league.

So yeah, the way we deploy our players is problematic at times. On both sides of the ball.

As for how it's affected development, that might be a different story. The young players from whom we've been wanting more production have mostly been undermined by injury -- Campbell, Turay, Lewis, etc. Maybe Rock Ya Sin would have benefitted from some different defensive schemes, but his main issue has been technique, not scheme or deployment. MAC could probably be more involved in the offense.

Paye and Dayo will become the 3-down defensive line players the Colts 43 needs.  Replace the NT on passing situations and replace with Dayo, then replace Dayo with more situational players Turay or Lewis.  (who I would like to be resigned)

Once we get the proper 3-down defensive linemen in the game, schemes can change more readily and aren't so much based upon available personnel.

With the potential offseason changes discussed, I don't know why Grover's $10M/year isn't subject to change.  I'd prefer a more run stuffing NT next to versatile Defo, since Grover's going to be lifted in passing situations anyway.  Having three 3-down linemen who can rush the passer on any given play or play the run equally competently frees up the NT to be more of a specialized run stuffing player.  IMO.

Will he last until our 3rd rounder?:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/scouting-reports/johnridgewayiii

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Yes absolutely. 

One example, look at how poorly Lamar Jackson has performed against the blitz. Not a bad week here or there, he fundamentally can't handle being blitzed. Our defense refused to blitz him for the entire second half, and he destroyed us.

We've all discussed the run/pass rhythm on offense, especially in light of the fact that our RB is the hottest offensive player in the league.

So yeah, the way we deploy our players is problematic at times. On both sides of the ball.

As for how it's affected development, that might be a different story. The young players from whom we've been wanting more production have mostly been undermined by injury -- Campbell, Turay, Lewis, etc. Maybe Rock Ya Sin would have benefitted from some different defensive schemes, but his main issue has been technique, not scheme or deployment. MAC could probably be more involved in the offense.

Just my opinion, but I think more blitzing, just up near the league median (25ish%) would make our D look a lot different. Not just DL pressure wise, but on the back end too. Of course we'd have to tighten up on the back end when we blitzed. 

On O, just looking at pass catching, feels like we have been overly possession heavy, and haven't really used what speed we have (when healthy) in speed type routes (crossers, go routes, etc.), and have shelved plays/players that have worked very well when used (like intermediate and deep sail routes to guys like Mo). Not saying I want to go air raid, but we've made it very easy on a lot of Ds (only having to defend 15ish yards deep). That's fine vs a lot of teams, but not all. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion, but I think more blitzing, just up near the league median (25ish%) would make our D look a lot different. Not just DL pressure wise, but on the back end too. Of course we'd have to tighten up on the back end when we blitzed. 

On O, just looking at pass catching, feels like we have been overly possession heavy, and haven't really used what speed we have (when healthy) in speed type routes (crossers, go routes, etc.), and have shelved plays/players that have worked very well when used (like intermediate and deep sail routes to guys like Mo). Not saying I want to go air raid, but we've made it very easy on a lot of Ds (only having to defend 15ish yards deep). That's fine vs a lot of teams, but not all. 

Campbell was supposed to be the guy in that role. We talked recently about using Hines in that capacity some, which we also haven't done much.

What's our blitz percentage this year? Compared to last year?

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Campbell was supposed to be the guy in that role. We talked recently about using Hines in that capacity some, which we also haven't done much.

What's our blitz percentage this year? Compared to last year?

Here's our blitz % and rank as well as our pressure % and rank, plus top 4 in pressures for the last couple years

2021 - 18.8% (30th) / 19.4% (30th) - DB 23, AQM 14, KP 12, TS11

2020 - 17.1% (31st) / 23.3% (18th) - DB 31, JH 25, DA 22, TL 16

2019 - 22.7% (27th) / 21.3% (23rd) - JH 23. JSheard 20, DA 17, DLeonard T-11, AQM T-11

2018 - 17.5 (29th) / 21.0% (30th) - JS 23, KT 19, DA 18, Hunt 13

Interesting that our lowest blitz % yielded our highest pressure % (in 2020). Still mediocre rank (18), and pretty obvious it's due to our peak of players (Defo, Houston, and Autry). 

This year, Houston has 22 pressures, Autry 25. 

This is a tough poll

- My belief is we sign the majority of our  own FAs 

- We REALLY need to look at BPA from a sub group in the draft

(Speedy, Separation WR,  a CB to develop, FS, maybe a LT to develop)

We MIGHT be able to get FS in FA

As I mentioned before, we have some nice young talent, but we still need some help there

I would NOT pursue the top FAs, but I would pursue a rotational guy that can add at least SOME pressure on passing down...... 

This defense has trouble if there isnt pressure

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

This is a tough poll

- My belief is we sign the majority of our  own FAs 

- We REALLY need to look at BPA from a sub group in the draft

(Speedy, Separation WR,  a CB to develop, FS, maybe a LT to develop)

We MIGHT be able to get FS in FA

As I mentioned before, we have some nice young talent, but we still need some help there

I would NOT pursue the top FAs, but I would pursue a rotational guy that can add at least SOME pressure on passing down...... 

This defense has trouble if there isnt pressure

Yup, tough one. Wanted to get people thinking about our holes, all the FAs in 22, and cap situation. 

I just did a simplified team needs poll, to clarify the biggest areas. We have a lot going on though this offseason, that's for sure.

Archived