Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Giants acquire Keith Rivers

Ryan Pelley

From NFL.com

The New York Giants have traded a 2012 fifth-round draft pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for linebackerKeith Rivers, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora on Wednesday.

Rivers was picked ninth overall by Cincinnati in the 2008 NFL Draft. He started 13 games for the Bengals in 2010, when he recorded 77 tackles and one sack. Rivers missed the entire 2011 season with a wrist injury.The Bengals had been looking to move the former USC standout after re-signing Manny Lawson last week.

The trade leaves the Bengals with Lawson, Rey Maualuga andThomas Howard as likely starters this season. The team also could re-sign free agent Brandon Johnson.

In New York, Rivers will join a linebacker corps that includesMichael Boley, Greg Jones and Mathias Kiwanuka.

Great deal for the Giants. Why can't the Colts ever make moves like this?!

From NFL.com

The New York Giants have traded a 2012 fifth-round draft pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for linebackerKeith Rivers, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora on Wednesday.

Rivers was picked ninth overall by Cincinnati in the 2008 NFL Draft. He started 13 games for the Bengals in 2010, when he recorded 77 tackles and one sack. Rivers missed the entire 2011 season with a wrist injury.The Bengals had been looking to move the former USC standout after re-signing Manny Lawson last week.

The trade leaves the Bengals with Lawson, Rey Maualuga andThomas Howard as likely starters this season. The team also could re-sign free agent Brandon Johnson.

In New York, Rivers will join a linebacker corps that includesMichael Boley, Greg Jones and Mathias Kiwanuka.

Because we will be going into the season with a bunch of old or unproven or career back up type players with the exception of Redding Angerer and bethea the rest are unproven (yes that includes Mathis and Freeny only cause they will both be learning new positions for the first time) their stats at defensive end speak for themselves, their stats at linebacker however do not to to clarify my meaning so I do get jumped on lol, also on offense we have one proven starter and thats wayne, who will make a trade for any of that? I wouldnt when you consider all the factors I just named for different players, we should have done something like that a few years ago and traded a talent we had such as Freeny for a top notch Corner (if that was possible back then) we would have still had mathis, of course I would question how affective he would be without freeny but we will never know, point is we had an oppurtunity for something like that, now the ship has done sailed on that oppurtunity for a blockbuster move

Because we will be going into the season with a bunch of old or unproven or career back up type players with the exception of Redding Angerer and bethea the rest are unproven (yes that includes Mathis and Freeny only cause they will both be learning new positions for the first time if freeny stays in his case, which honestly were better off if we say goodbye) their stats at defensive end speak for themselves, their stats at linebacker however do not to to clarify my meaning so I do get jumped on lol, also on offense we have one proven starter and thats wayne, who will make a trade for any of that? I wouldnt when you consider all the factors I just named for different players, we should have done something like that a few years ago and traded a talent we had such as Freeny for a top notch Corner (if that was possible back then) we would have still had mathis, of course I would question how affective he would be without freeny but we will never know, point is we had an oppurtunity for something like that, now the ship has done sailed on that oppurtunity for a blockbuster move

Because we will be going into the season with a bunch of old or unproven or career back up type players with the exception of Redding Angerer and bethea the rest are unproven (yes that includes Mathis and Freeny only cause they will both be learning new positions for the first time) their stats at defensive end speak for themselves, their stats at linebacker however do not to to clarify my meaning so I do get jumped on lol, also on offense we have one proven starter and thats wayne, who will make a trade for any of that? I wouldnt when you consider all the factors I just named for different players, we should have done something like that a few years ago and traded a talent we had such as Freeny for a top notch Corner (if that was possible back then) we would have still had mathis, of course I would question how affective he would be without freeny but we will never know, point is we had an oppurtunity for something like that, now the ship has done sailed on that oppurtunity for a blockbuster move

Want some cheese with your whine?

Colts have had an interesting and productive free agency this year, and until something happens one way or another with Freeney, there is no room under the cap for anything else to happen. It sometimes feels people like to gripe without actually knowing what is happening.

I'm not sure I'd chalk this up as some blockbuster deal, either. Out all last year, and only starting 13 games the previous year... I'm not ready to chalk him up as any kind of proven game changer, and would only go so far as to call him backup material with upside for the Giants.