Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Tannehill

this has nothing to do with the Colts obviously but what are your opinions on Ryan Tannehill, where will he go, do you think he will make a good quarterback in the NFL, Hes a converted wide receiver. I personally think a team that drafts him in the first round is wasting their pick when they could draft an ACTUAL quarterback in Weeden, yes the first round is high for Weeden especially given his age but I would still rather go with a true Quarterback then a converted wide receiver, here is Tannehills college numbers http://espn.go.com/c.../ryan-tannehill....thoughts?

I see him being a guy that travels the league being a backup, hes a former wide receiver, why would any team risk that thats how I think, maybe those teams that may risk that should go out and get their quarterback someone to throw to (Browns), (Dolphins)

I think Tannehill goes at 8 to the Dolphins even though I don't personally consider him to be a first rounder

I see him being a guy that travels the league being a backup, hes a former wide receiver, why would any team risk that thats how I think, maybe those teams that may risk that should go out and get their quarterback someone to throw to (Browns), (Dolphins)

I think he'll go at 8 to the Dolphins, and they Chad Pennington or someone will work with him for a year or two, but I think he has a chance to be a really good franchise QB.

Yeah Miami is so desperate they'll probably reach for him at 8.

Unless someone trades to the #7 spot, Tannehill is going to the Dolphins.

8 to Dolphins for me too, and no way does he look like a top 10 pick at the moment... desperation for you!

@ all these, Dolphins I think will take him.

From my understanding Tannehill was recruited as a QB, wasn't going to get on the field early, converted to WR, and then converted back to QB.

From what I've seen of him he's on par with the top 2. The other two might be a bit more consistent, but he's not far from them. He's close enough that I certainly hope Grigson and staff did their due dilgence on him. Like the other two prospects, his #'s were amplified by being in a WCO(Luck/Spread(RGIII), but unlike the other two, if he ends up in Miami or Cleveland he will be running a fairly similar offense in the WCO at Miami, and if in Miami he will be playing for his old HC Sherman who is Miami's OC. He might have the smoothest transition to the NFL of the three.

Dolphins will probably reach for Tannehill and next year they will be drafting high again, they need Micheal Floyd if they dont see that they are nuts and Marino will be scratching his head yet again at his former team

Here's my response to all the people who say the Fins should and will take Tannehill. This is why they shouldn't, but we don't know if they will or won't, but I personally think they won't. Anyways, the reason why they shouldn' take Tannehill is because next year's QB class is outstanding, better than this year's. You could be looking at 3, maybe even 4 QBs going in the top 12 (Barkley, Jones, Bray, and Murray). Now, all those guys are better and more experienced than Tannehill. Wouldn't it just be better to build your team first, have Moore as your QB for one year, and then draft a QB in the 2013 draft, which is a great one. That makes more sense that picking a questionable QB this year.

The Dolphins didn't trade one of the best WRs in the NFL to draft a prospect WR that's a a headache I can tell you that.

Marshall was a headache to them but they need a potential number one wide receiver, Floyd can be that

Marshall was a headache to them but they need a potential number one wide receiver, Floyd can be that

That's what I meant, Marshall was a headache and they traded him so why draft an unproven headache? I could see them trying to move up for Justin Blackmon maybe...

Why is M.F. a headache?

He's had DUI's and been suspended off the team before. Nothing really bad, but basically things you would expect from Brandon Marshall who the Dolphins didn't want to deal with anymore.

He's had DUI's and been suspended off the team before. Nothing really bad, but basically things you would expect from Brandon Marshall who the Dolphins didn't want to deal with anymore.

Floyd's issues were alcohol related....Marshall is a neurotic, prima donna, bat-stuff crazy, woman beater. You can take care of Floyd's headache with an Advil......A Marshall headache requires morphine. Am I sensing some anti-ND sentiment in this thread?

Getting back on topic, I don't think that Tannehill is ready to start in the NFL. If he is drafted by Miami, yes they have Matt Moore, but I don't think that the fans have bought into him. If Moore has a bad game, they'll want Tannehill. Tannehill may get his shot as a rookie but will struggle mightily, ruining his confidence. Few come back from this, ala David Carr, Jimmy Clausen, etc..

Yes Floyd was suspended off of the team for off field issues but during that time, the coaches counseled him on how to turn his life around and get back on the team. He did what the coaches asked of him (getting rid of friends who were bad influences, not partying as much etc) and didn't get into any trouble that I know of is senior year. So yes, he did have a couple of alcohol-related issues in his early college years (like many, MANY college kids) but he turned things around. I said at the beginning of the year that if he finished the season still on the ND squad then I don't think there will be any issues with him carrying over into the NFL and I'd gladly take him on the Colts if we were able to get him.

Back on topic though, I agree that most likely Tannehill will go to Miami at #8 though I don't think, at this point, that he's worthy of a top 10 pick. He'll simply be the benefit of Miami losing out on every other QB they went after this off-season and their inability to trade up for either Luck or Griffin. I think he definitely has potential but he's still very raw and will need to be developed. I think he's a guy that could be a starter in 1-3 years but not from day 1. I agree that Weeden would be a better QB pick at #8 but his age is really going to hurt him. However, I think if a team wanted a day 1 starter they'd be better off going with Weeden than Tannehill.