Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL IR Rules - (TY, Fisher, etal)

Smonroe

Teams can put a guy on IR and put him back on the active roster in as little as 3 weeks.  This applies to every player IRed.

The thing is that only players who are on the 53 man roster can be put on IR.  Meaning Fisher and TY (and maybe Sam) have to be on the active roster for 24 hours before you can IR them (I think that's correct).

So I'm guessing they're going to hope to sneak a few guys, like Patmon, on the PS and move them to the 53 as soon as they're allowed.

Just speculating.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's important to remember that a player has to be waived, then clear waivers, then agree to a PS contract. It's not as simple as 'sneaking a guy on the PS,' although it probably should be, especially at final cut down.

The 'sneaking' part is that you hope that other teams don't have your guy on their radar and with all the cuts, you can get him signed.

I won't be surprised if Patmon is waived.  

What will they do at RB, TE, and now QB? If there were no health concerns, and no logjam at RB, I'd think they might keep six WRs, in which case Patmon might make it. And now, with TY hurt but not likely to be IR'd (at least not until next week), I guess that increases the possibility of keeping six?

Who knows what happens with Patmon... He had a decent camp and preseason, and he might not clear waivers. I guess we'll see.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

What will they do at RB, TE, and now QB? If there were no health concerns, and no logjam at RB, I'd think they might keep six WRs, in which case Patmon might make it. And now, with TY hurt but not likely to be IR'd (at least not until next week), I guess that increases the possibility of keeping six?

Who knows what happens with Patmon... He had a decent camp and preseason, and he might not clear waivers. I guess we'll see.

We may keep seven initially before putting TY on IR. Hoping then we can bring back another player at a different position who has a better chance of clearing waivers then maybe Patmon.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

We're obviously keeping TY and Fisher to start on the 53.  Not so sure about Sam.  So if I'm CB I'm keeping Patmon and Strachan on the 53 and waive one or two of the guys who wouldn't be on the 46 game day roster.

24 hours later, he puts TY and Fisher on IR and hopefully brings back the others onto the 53.  

10 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

One strategy is to keep young players that are subject to waivers and release a vet that isn't subject to waiver claims and then resign them a day later. 

Sometimes teams and the player will have a verbal agreement to do that.

That's interesting.  You'd have to look at any guy on the bubble with more than 3 years experience.   Guys you'd like to have on your team but could live without if you lose them.

I'm sure there are a few that could fit that category.  Probably only need two or three.

There are several examples of this.  Last year Patriots set their 53 man roster without a kicker and releasing Nick Folk.  After the initial 53 was set they placed a couple of players on IR and resigned Folk prior to week 1.

Basically the team and player come to a verbal agreement of sorts.  If the player really likes the team/the area, don't take a paycut etc...  they would be willing to resign.

Some possible names for Colts would be AQM, Luke Rhodes, Joey Hunt, TJ Carrie, Julien Davenport, Chris Reed.   Of course, Colts would want to ensure they have some type of verbal agreement in place for a player they really want to keep.

Archived