Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Camp Yesterday Saturday 7/31

Nickster

I went yesterday.  

When I go I Focus on a few things. Yesterday, I wanted to see how Campbell and Mack looked physically.  I was also interested in Rock and Paye.

SO FWIW here is my observation/commentary:

1. Mack looked like he had the same glide.  Injuries aside, I think Mack is very underrtated on here.  He had a couple of really nice lateral runs over the right side that he cut up the field.  He gets open in the passing game and did have one drop, but looks dangerous in the passing game.  He and Taylor should compliment each other nicely.  Different runners with different strenghts and weaknessed.  

2.  Campbell ain't right.  First time I saw him he stumbled on a get off and actually fell down untouched trying to buzz his feet.  He did this later in team and had trouble getting open.  He was wide open on one downfield pattern and made a nice catch coming back and catching an underthrown ball.  Other than that he was not good.  He was not even taking but 1 or 2 first team reps. They were focused on red zone a lot, but even when he went 3 down he didn't get in much.  He was visably frustrated and talked with the coaches alot.  Very concerning.  I don't know if he's still not ready or just ahead of himself early in camp after the surgery, but right now he's not ready.

3.  Paye is waaaaay better than Sam Tevi.  he has the great hands as advertised to shuck the block off, and will be a disrupter in the running game.  Pass rush was less impressive.  Didn't see much of it.  

4.  Rock couldn't guard a parked car.  I want this guy to succeed but he doesn't look good.

Other things I think.

Eason ain't there. We won't be able to compete well with him as a starter if that comes down.  I would be pretty surprised if you could compete well in the 1st 2 games with him at QB.  

It was crowded very crowded

I can't believe they have the tower cart so close to the back of the end zone.  some one could get hurt.

Pittman seems like a real nice dude and Hines Ward seems so to.  They interacted with fans in a seemingly sincere way.

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

2.  Campbell ain't right.  First time I saw him he stumbled on a get off and actually fell down untouched trying to buzz his feet.  He did this later in team and had trouble getting open.  He was wide open on one downfield pattern and made a nice catch coming back and catching an underthrown ball.  Other than that he was not good.  He was not even taking but 1 or 2 first team reps. They were focused on red zone a lot, but even when he went 3 down he didn't get in much.  He was visably frustrated and talked with the coaches alot.  Very concerning.  I don't know if he's still not ready or just ahead of himself early in camp after the surgery, but right now he's not ready.

4.  Rock couldn't guard a parked car.  I want this guy to succeed but he doesn't look good.

Both are high picks right?

Campbell needs to turn this around. Don't think Rock makes the team tbh. Good tackler, okay in coverage at times, but when he's beat, it turns into PI and big plays over and over.

Every report that mentions Campbell I have seen talks about how good he looks. Maybe he just had a off day.

With Eason it is important to give him time to settle in. He hasn’t practiced in almost two years. So give him a few weeks. He was really Good Friday by all accounts.  What your looking at with him is improvement each practice and more consistency. Then you know he is on a good path. He will be much better in six weeks when the season starts. Also the first week or so is usually dominated by the defense in camp.

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Both are high picks right?

Campbell needs to turn this around. Don't think Rock makes the team tbh. Good tackler, okay in coverage at times, but when he's beat, it turns into PI and big plays over and over.

Hopefully Campbell is just not yet confident in the knee and just off.  That happens to most guys after ACL. It’s only been 10 months or so.

Rock looked pretty down after practice.  He was hanging around the corner of the end zone where fans were leaving when most of the other players were gone sorta walking through steps in the corner of the end zone.  I don’t know if he was waiting for a coach or something but I just thought it was weird looking.

27 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I went yesterday.  

When I go I Focus on a few things. Yesterday, I wanted to see how Campbell and Mack looked physically.  I was also interested in Rock and Paye.

SO FWIW here is my observation/commentary:

1. Mack looked like he had the same glide.  Injuries aside, I think Mack is very underrtated on here.  He had a couple of really nice lateral runs over the right side that he cut up the field.  He gets open in the passing game and did have one drop, but looks dangerous in the passing game.  He and Taylor should compliment each other nicely.  Different runners with different strenghts and weaknessed.  

3.  Paye is waaaaay better than Sam Tevi.  he has the great hands as advertised to shuck the block off, and will be a disrupter in the running game.  Pass rush was less impressive.  Didn't see much of it.  

Other things I think.

Eason ain't there. We won't be able to compete well with him as a starter if that comes down.  I would be pretty surprised if you could compete well in the 1st 2 games with him at QB.  

It was crowded very crowded

I can't believe they have the tower cart so close to the back of the end zone.  some one could get hurt.

Pittman seems like a real nice dude and Hines Ward seems so to.  They interacted with fans in a seemingly sincere way.

I didn't realize we picked up Hines Ward. Does he still have his speed at 45 year old?

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Every report that mentions Campbell I have seen talks about how good he looks. Maybe he just had a off day.

With Eason it is important to give him time to settle in. He hasn’t practiced in almost two years. So give him a few weeks. He was really Good Friday by all accounts.  What your looking at with him is improvement each practice and more consistency. Then you know he is on a good path. He will be much better in six weeks when the season starts. Also the first week or so is usually dominated by the defense in camp.

Could be and recovering guys have ups and downs.  Stumbling on that first get off could’ve really hurt his confidence too.  I was worried he hurt but I don’t think he did.

it’s just that he was struggling independent of what the D was doing and wasn’t taking his reps with the 2nd team.  Like I said though most reps were red zone.

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I didn't realize we picked up Hines Ward. Does he still have his speed at 45 year old?

Blazing fast man.  Nyheim didn’t practice BTW.  Neither did Moore.

Just now, Nickster said:

Could be and recovering guys have ups and downs.  Stumbling on that first get off could’ve really hurt his confidence too.  I was worried he hurt but I don’t think he did.

it’s just that he was struggling independent of what the D was doing and wasn’t taking his reps with the 2nd team.  Like I said though most reps were red zone.

Blazing fast man.

Yeah Campbell hasn’t played in a year so imagine he has some rust to shake off. Plus like you said his confidence. I can’t imagine having been injured as much as he has how scary it must be your going to get injured again. Just waiting for the other show to drop. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Hopefully Campbell is just not yet confident in the knee and just off.  That happens to most guys after ACL. It’s only been 10 months or so.

Rock looked pretty down after practice.  He was hanging around the corner of the end zone where fans were leaving when most of the other players were gone sorta walking through steps in the corner of the end zone.  I don’t know if he was waiting for a coach or something but I just thought it was weird looking.

Losing Gannon is going to make a difference in the secondary. He was one of the top DB coaches in the league and knew how to put players in the best situations to have success or at least not hurt the team. He made Rock look like a serviceable DB last year. he did it with many unknown DBs honestly. It will be interesting to see how the secondary looks this year in Indy. 

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Oh one other thing.  Doyle was very impressive yesterday.  I don’t know what he usually looks in camp but I’m wondering if he’s more heathy than the last couple seasons.

Alot of fans and media mentioned how good he looked. Nice to see he still has something in the tank. He was so good in the Bills game.

50 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I have been one of those that do not appreciate him, more to the point, was not impressed with what he has done.  Look, I thought that he could always do more in the passing game, because I've always thought that he is pretty shifty and does well in open space.

Early on, he was the backup to straight ahead running Frank Gore.  And JT is more in that mold too, but a bit more versatile.  Mack does well between the tackles, finds creases, and that's good.  But he always needed to be used in open space more.

Was probably limited by the offense and roster, he had to be the plow horse.  In that sense, he and JT have been the same kind of runner.  But, I agree, he is naturally a different runner than JT, but really hasn't been used much differently.

IMO, he should be used as more of an APB....not a pure APB....but more of an open space player than JT, and definitely more of an open space player than how he has been used in the past.  JMO.

Thanks for your observations at TC.

14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Alot of fans and media mentioned how good he looked. Nice to see he still has something in the tank. He was so good in the Bills game.

Honestly Doyle is good he’s just not flashy which is what I think fans want.  He helps out a lot in blocking and makes reliable catches.  He’s a lot like Ken Dilger was.  He does the ugly stuff you need to win but doesn’t get attention unless he messes up.  Honestly with so many questions about the left tackle spot I think Doyle’s blocking skills are going to be huge this season.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly Doyle is good he’s just not flashy which is what I think fans want.  He helps out a lot in blocking and makes reliable catches.  He’s a lot like Ken Dilger was.  He does the ugly stuff you need to win but doesn’t get attention unless he messes up.  Honestly with so many questions about the left tackle spot I think Doyle’s blocking skills are going to be huge this season.

Agree man but yesterday he looked quick and kinda flashy.

Archived