Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor Stats/Ranks, Game-logs, Top 15 comps, + Poll & Discussion

EastStreet

Jonathan Taylor (read OP)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. (Don't vote unless you've read the entire OP) - Where do you rank Jonathan Taylor as a RB this season (do not consider salary, age, health). Again, restrain your inner fanboy or fangirl.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2021 at 06:49 PM

And here's a blurb from PFF on the Cowboy's OL...

"27. DALLAS COWBOYS

The Cowboys’ three best offensive linemen played 618, 154 and 0 snaps this season, respectively; they were another team that was blasted with injuries to key starters such as Zack Martin, Tyron Smith and La’el Collins. As such, their offensive line play in 2020 wasn’t an accurate representation of the talent they have on the roster.

Dallas struggled to replace Smith and Collins at the tackle position, in particular. Cowboys tackles combined to post a 57.2 pass-blocking grade on the year, beating out only the Giants to avoid the worst mark in the NFL. Brandon Knight and Terence Steele especially struggled to hold up, as both allowed pressure rates north of 7% for the season.

The Cowboys will be hoping to stay healthy both along the offensive line and at quarterback in 2021 to realize the offensive potential that everyone expected them to run with this season."

With our offensive line, I see the potential for Taylor to be the top back in the league next season.  Taylor did struggle early last season but I think he’s the kind of back that gets better with more carries.  He batters a defense into submission.  Sure, he missed some holes early.  I chalk that up him having no true off-season to help get adjusted to NFL game speed. I don’t think Rathman’s quick hook or Rivers’ unwillingness to lean heavy on a rookie running back did Taylor any favors either.  If he had been given the workload of a true RB1 last season, I have no doubt he’d have finished as a top 5 back.  

I think Taylor, Henry, Cook, and Chubb are the top backs.  Both CMC & Barkley, when healthy, are up there too.  I like Taylor because he has a battering style like a Henry or Chubb but then he can explode with a burst and take it the distance like a Cook or CMC.  We’ll probably try to use more of a committee approach this season.  So JT still may not get the necessary touches to rank higher on most rankings.  I wouldn’t be surprised though if Taylor’s talent clearly separates him from the other backs on our roster.  

Then it’s gonna be on Frank and Carson to realize that the best chance for us to lift another Lombardi is letting this O-Line and Taylor lead the way.  Split it how you want.  But Taylor needs 20 carries a game minimum.  The numbers showed last year that when we kept our pass/run ratio under 60/40 we were either unbeatable or only lost once.  A 55/45 breakdown would be perfect. 33 passes to 27 runs.  I’d be happy to see that ratio flip to 33 runs to 27 passes.  Do that and this O-Line, Taylor, and an efficient Carson lead us to 13 or 14 wins (Our top 10 defense deserves acknowledgement too).  

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You're reaching man given all the injuries along the OL, and with Dak being out.

He still almost ran for 1000. Taylor only ran for 1000+ because of the monster game vs Jax at the end.

Do you think JT would have sniffed 1000 if AC was out 14 games, Smith was out almost the entire year, and Kelly and Glow were both out half the year.

Your changing the conversation this has nothing to do with JT, if you want to do a comparison lets not use "ifs" a better one would be Saquon Barkley who still played well with a bad OL, WRs and bad QB play. 

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Your changing the conversation this has nothing to do with JT, if you want to do a comparison lets not use "ifs" a better one would be Saquon Barkley who still played well with a bad OL, WRs and bad QB play. 

Well it's a thread about JT and comps... 

But OK. Forget about JT.

So you're basically saying Elliot's 979 yards, which ranks 11th in the NFL, isn't impressive even though his OL was a complete wreck all year and ranked 27th.....

Barkley played only one game last year, so not sure why you're pulling him into the conversation lol. And NGY's OL in 2019 wasn't awful either. I'd call them average. They were bad last year, but again, Barkley played only one game.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Well it's a thread about JT and comps... 

But OK. Forget about JT.

So you're basically saying Elliot's 979 yards, which ranks 11th in the NFL, isn't impressive even though his OL was a complete wreck all year and ranked 27th.....

Barkley played only one game last year, so not sure why you're pulling him into the conversation lol. And NGY's OL in 2019 wasn't awful either. I'd call them average. They were bad last year, but again, Barkley played only one game.

I swear you're not actually reading what I am saying 

If you look at my first comment it was about how people are ranking Elliot top 5, and how I believe he is more likely in the 11-15 range. Because people were putting up that top 10 RBs for next season, so the conversation isn't just about JT.

Now you are changing the conversation about Barkley because it was a good comparison to Zeke, so this is my last post on it because you're not actually reading what I am writing and are to focused on trying to prove that you are right and I am wrong.

8 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I swear you're not actually reading what I am saying 

If you look at my first comment it was about how people are ranking Elliot top 5, and how I believe he is more likely in the 11-15 range. Because people were putting up that top 10 RBs for next season, so the conversation isn't just about JT.

Now you are changing the conversation about Barkley because it was a good comparison to Zeke, so this is my last post on it because you're not actually reading what I am writing and are to focused on trying to prove that you are right and I am wrong.

So the conversation is just where Elliott is ranked by some? 

If yes, then.... IIRC only @2006Coltsbestever and I had him ranked in the top 5. I had him 4 and CBE had him at 3 I think....

And it's simple. In his 5 years, he's been a Pro Bowl back 3 of 5 years. The two years he wasn't Pro Bowl, were 2017 when he was injured a good portion of the year, and 2020 when his top 5 QB (production) was out, and his top 10 OL had the most injury of any OL in the NFL... He went from having Dak who averaged 392 yards a game and a lot of balance, to Dalton who was bottom 5 in the league with 207 yards per game.....

On Barkley... how is he a good comp? He didn't play last year. He played well in 2019, but only 1000ish yards (#17 of all RBs), and had the 17th best OL. Elliott had 1000 ish yards (#11) with the 27th best OL in 2020. So both performed similar and Elliott's OL was 10 spots worse? If anything, that makes a case for Elliot... 

If I'm not reading your post correctly, then clarify your point, bring specific facts/stats, or ask me specific questions. I'm happy to stay 100% on topic.

On 5/29/2021 at 4:49 AM, JTfan said:

Where are you pulling the data from? I’m glancing at the PFF advanced stats and see wildly different #s. Looks like you show JT with only 15 missed tackles forced on the year? PFF has him at 41 MTF in the regular season, 33 of which came in just the last 6 games (on 119 carries). Only 5 against JAX, broke at least 4 in each of the other 5 stretch games. Pretty big discrepancy. The general splits btwn his first 9 and last 6 games are not just huge, but also pretty consistent after he got going, not merely a JAX or LV skew. But I guess depends on which source. Via PFF, JT went w/o a single MTF in 6 of initial 9 games with a high of 4 vs NYJ (vs min of 4 in last 6). YCO differs big time too, they show his lowest yac/att down the stretch as 3.0 vs Pitt. The game log you posted shows JT with yac/att below 3.0 in 4/6 final regular season games. His AB also dropped from 14.1 to 3.6 after he entered beast mode.

I did not cite MTF. I cited attempts per broken tackle from SR.

As far as his last 6 games, I also listed the run D ranks of those teams. They were 32, 24, 32, 11, 30, 17, with an average of 24.3. So in short, our average run D faced in those games was bottom 10, and half the games bottom 3. So it's pretty simple, at least to me, why he entered beast mode late season. I'm not saying he didn't get better late, just saying we played a lot of awful run Ds late, so I would expect a heighted performance given we have a top 10 OL 

On 5/27/2021 at 11:53 PM, EastStreet said:

or he read the thread and.....

tenor.gif?itemid=11992135

No, I'm not at this level yet but I'm disgusted that some of you don't see the talent and potential of the JT express train that is about to hit the NFL by storm in 2021!  Pure power, speed and skill set to produce over 6k yards and 50 TD's at the highest level in college but was overlooked due to a fumbling issue and lack of pass catches LMAO!!!!  Many NFL analyst agree JT will steal the show in 2021 but not you?  You dont see what we see or is hypothetical due to being a 2nd rd talent and listening to all those chumps draft analysis???  HE WILL DOMINATE EAST!!!!

On 6/2/2021 at 12:26 AM, BornHoosier said:

No, I'm not at this level yet but I'm disgusted that some of you don't see the talent and potential of the JT express train that is about to hit the NFL by storm in 2021!  Pure power, speed and skill set to produce over 6k yards and 50 TD's at the highest level in college but was overlooked due to a fumbling issue and lack of pass catches LMAO!!!!  Many NFL analyst agree JT will steal the show in 2021 but not you?  You dont see what we see or is hypothetical due to being a 2nd rd talent and listening to all those chumps draft analysis???  HE WILL DOMINATE EAST!!!!

THeAxGm.gif

Archived