Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andy's Colts Mock Draft 4.0

2012 Colts Mock Draft

1st Overall Pick (1st Round)

Andrew Luck – Quarterback – Stanford

This pick is a no brainer. Andrew Luck is not only the best QB in college right now, but he’s one of the best prospects in recent memory. He’s been considered to be the next Peyton Manning. He’s the obvious choice, and coincidentally this will be the 2nd time where a 1st year GM will have the first overall pick, and the top player is a QB. The last time it happened was in 1998 with Peyton Manning. Luck possesses a great arm that includes great strength, top-notch accuracy, great mobility, he’s smart and he reads defenses. He’s one of the best college prospects in the last 25 years. This is one of the safest picks you could make.

34th Overall Pick (2nd Round)

Jayron Hosley – Cornerback – Virginia Tech

The Colts need to spend a high draft pick on a cornerback. The secondary was horrible this year, and it’s not good if the Colts only have one good cornerback in Jerraud Powers. They need another good corner who can shutdown number 2 targets. Even if the Colts get an outside cornerback, they can move Hosley to the inside and he could become a very good nickel back. He can play a lot of positions. Cornerback is one of the biggest positions of need on the Colts, and getting Hosley would make it less of a need. Hosley is projected to go in the early 2nd round, so this is the right pick. The Colts biggest need (or arguably) is the cornerback spot. Kelvin Hayden was released last year and Tryon was gone during the season They need some bodies there and some quality. He’s quick and had a nice year. The intriguing part about him is that he has a ton of upside, which is something that interests many teams, including the Colts.

65th Overall Pick (3rd Round)

A.J Jenkins – Wide Receiver – Illinois

The Colts are thin at receiver even with the addition of Donnie Avery and Reggie Wayne only has 3 years left in his career. Time to find a future #1 or #2 guy that can play right now. A.J Jenkins had a fantastic year with Illinois as he accumulated 1,276 yards with 9 touchdowns. He had a great year with an average QB. He could come in and become a good #2 WR. If he put those numbers with an average QB, imagine what he could do with Andrew Luck, the best QB in college football. He’s an average sized receiver with average speed, but he gets the job done. He has good hands and is a good route runner, kind of like Reggie Wayne... Jenkins was originally thought to have gone in the 4th round, but his good combine has made his stock rise.

98th Overall Pick (4th Round)

Michael Egnew – Tight End – Missouri

The Colts currently have no tight ends. Their current starting tight end is Brody Eldridge. With the loss of Clark and Tamme, they need a tight end badly; you can even make the case that it’s their biggest need. Andrew Luck loves his tight ends, he always went to them in college. With that being said, Egnew is a great pick here. It’s a good value pick and he’s a good possession tight end which should help out Andrew Luck a lot.

129th Overall Pick (5th Round)

Brandon Brooks – Offensive Guard – Miami University (Ohio)

The Colts have good depth in the interior of the line, but at RG especially, they have no clear-cut starter. Brandon Brooks is a very underrated guard, who could go higher than the 5th round. He is a tough strong kid who has good footwork. He reminds me of a Jahri Evans or young Brian Waters. He has that kind of potential. If the Colts draft him, he would probably become the RG, and stay there for many years. This makes the OG spot officially a “no-need.”

163rd Overall Pick (5th Round) (Compensatory Pick)

Akiem Hicks – Nose Tackle – Regina University (Canada)

I little weird to wait until the 5th round to address a big need like the NT spot. With that being said, look no further than one of the biggest sleepers in the middle rounds: Akiem Hicks. No one knows about him because he played in Canada, but the skill set is there. He’s a big guy who has good speed. He really impressed at the East-West Shrine Game practices and impressed many with his impressive 1 on 1 interviews. It should be noted that he played for LSU before leaving in January 2010. He has all the physical tools to be a starter in this league, and he has a good attitude too.

200th Overall Pick (6th Round) (Compensatory Pick)

Chris Owusu – Wide Receiver – Stanford

This is a perfect fit. He’s a deep threat and has some good speed. Oh, and he played with Andrew Luck at Stanford, so the two have a great bond. Owusu is a good route runner who is willing to catch the ball in traffic and over the middle. He has a bad history with injuries and in the last 2 years, he’s had two below average seasons. He could come in to the Colts and fight with Blair White for the #3 receiver spot. A good trait about Owusu is that he is a dangerous kick returner, which could be great for the Colts, because they suck on special teams. Having Minnfield as the punt returner and Owusu as the kick returner.

202st Overall Pick (7th Round)

Emanuel Davis – Cornerback – East Carolina

Emanuel Davis is the best cornerback on East Carolina. On paper, he’s not a very good cornerback, and may not even get drafted, but the fact of the matter is, he’s gone up against some really good wide receivers like Alshon Jeffrey and AJ Green. He’s slightly undersized, but he has pretty good speed and some good instincts. He’s a better prospect than his stock shows; the only reason he’s projected to go in the later rounds is because he had a run-in with the law so it hurt his stock. I personally think he has 5th round talent, so the Colts would be getting a 5th round player in the 7th round. This kid has some good upside.

208th Overall Pick (7th Round) (From Jaguars via Jets)

Antwon Bailey – Running Back – Syracuse

The Colts could use a nice running back, and even though they have 3 running backs in Brown, Carter and Evans, Bailey could definitely beat out Evans and even his buddy Delone Carter. Another reason why the Colts should draft Bailey is that he would bring a different kind of style of running to the Colts. He is the “poor man’s” Maurice Jones-Drew as Bailey is small and runs with power. He also reminds me of Jacquizz Rodgers, and I’d like to have a Jacquizz Rodgers like player on the team. Tbe only downside with him is that he’s very slow, but he plays with power. I think it’s worth a shot and he and Darren Evans should fight for the last running back spot.

247th Overall Pick (7th Round) (Compensatory Pick)

Adrien Cole – Inside Linebacker – Louisiana Tech

The Colts lost Phillip Wheeler to the Raiders and they essentially have no depth at the ILB spot. Adrien Cole is pretty athletic and is a good tackler. He isn’t anything special, and he’ll probably become a backup, but that’s what the Colts need, they need depth, not starters at the ILB spot. Adrien Cole is Mr. Irrelevant.

Very solid. Only thing I'd change is the TE pick. I'd take Ladarius Green over Egnew. He's a sleeper like Hicks and could be an amazing steal. He's got a build like Fleener and also has some decent potential in blocking. I still wonder how Hicks is still a sleeper (not complaining though haha) cause he did great in the East-West Shrine game in my opinion. I guess his time in Canada made scouts not even care.

I like how you've still got Oline in there. Another good guard would be great. I'd take Ladarius Green over Egnew, Givens or Streeter over Jenkins and Rainey over Stanford WR. He just had too many drops and too many cincussions. I really like corner in the second an NT later.

sorry, but i thought it was awful...the top four picks anyway. and brandon brooks in the 5th...kind of a pipe dream.

I'd like to hear more feedback, because you didn't really say why you didn't like it. Brandon Brooks to the 5th is not a pipe dream. Although his stock is really climbing recently, I could still see a fall from him. As it stands right now, he's projected as a third round prospect. From what I've seen, I think he drops, but I'm definitely looking more into him. Maybe it is unrealistic, maybe it isn't. I've said this before, Tyler Sash was projected to go in the 3rd, but he went in the 6th, so anything is possible.

I'd like to hear more feedback, because you didn't really say why you didn't like it. Brandon Brooks to the 5th is not a pipe dream. Although his stock is really climbing recently, I could still see a fall from him. As it stands right now, he's projected as a third round prospect. From what I've seen, I think he drops, but I'm definitely looking more into him. Maybe it is unrealistic, maybe it isn't. I've said this before, Tyler Sash was projected to go in the 3rd, but he went in the 6th, so anything is possible.

because, once again, u are reaching for needs for a team that was 2-14 last year. you act as though getting the best available cb at 34 is going to put the colts defense over the hump. the colts needs good players...lots of them. hosley at 34 and aj jenkins at 64?? puke

Has to be better than Hosley at 34 IMO.Has to be better BPA at 34 we have so many needs though its tough to call. Would still like to see Gilmore in Colts uniform.H8 to see that small of a corner hes what 5-10 receivers are huge now.oh and 175?And what about NT the anchor to 3-4 3rd rd Taamu?Still like prospects hope we have a great draft this year.

You can't rag on someone else's draft when they have someone dropping further than projected, then do it on your own and when someone questions it just give an example and say 'anything can happen.'

You can't rag on someone else's draft when they have someone dropping further than projected, then do it on your own and when someone questions it just give an example and say 'anything can happen.'

Some drops are just too silly and will not happen like Brian Quick in the 7th round is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Brandon Brooks in the 5th can happen. Some drops can happen, others are just too unrealistic. Yes anything can happen, but you have to be realistic at the same time.

Has to be better than Hosley at 34 IMO.Has to be better BPA at 34 we have so many needs though its tough to call. Would still like to see Gilmore in Colts uniform.H8 to see that small of a corner hes what 5-10 receivers are huge now.oh and 175?And what about NT the anchor to 3-4 3rd rd Taamu?Still like prospects hope we have a great draft this year.

Ta'Amu flat out isn't worth the 34th pick in the draft. He's done nothing to prove he's a late 1st rounder/early 2nd rounder, especially when you look at his tape. Darrelle Revis is barely 5'11 and Joe Haden is pretty much the same build, but they are very good corners. He can always ad on bulk to his body. Just because he might be 175lbs now, doesn't mean he can't add on.

because, once again, u are reaching for needs for a team that was 2-14 last year. you act as though getting the best available cb at 34 is going to put the colts defense over the hump. the colts needs good players...lots of them. hosley at 34 and aj jenkins at 64?? puke

Um, ok, I don't act like getting the best CB will get us over the hump. But you have to start somewhere, you have to start chipping away at your needs so that the team is strong going forward. Oh and by the way, Jayron Hosley at 34 is not a need, he is expected to go in the early to mid 2nd round, and is projected to be the best CB when the Colts pick comes. He is expected to go around 34, so he's not a reach. AJ Jenkins is a bit of a reach because he's expected to go in the mid 3rd round, but he's one the most underrated prospects in the nation, and I think he has great great potential. He was one of the most productive receivers in the country last year and has great potential. He could reach that potential with Luck. I think he's too good to pass on. They need a lot of good players, but they have a lot of picks. They have a 4th rounder in which I think they take Egnew, who's a top 5 TE. They have another underrated prospect in Hicks. It's a rebuilding project and you can't expect the Colts to get all quality players in this year's draft and get to the playoffs next year. We still have next year's draft to address the remaining needs and the draft after that. This draft the Colts should lay down a foundation and build from there.

Ta'Amu flat out isn't worth the 34th pick in the draft. He's done nothing to prove he's a late 1st rounder/early 2nd rounder, especially when you look at his tape. Darrelle Revis is barely 5'11 and Joe Haden is pretty much the same build, but they are very good corners. He can always ad on bulk to his body. Just because he might be 175lbs now, doesn't mean he can't add on.

I said in 3rd Taamu not 34

Um, ok, I don't act like getting the best CB will get us over the hump. But you have to start somewhere, you have to start chipping away at your needs so that the team is strong going forward. Oh and by the way, Jayron Hosley at 34 is not a need, he is expected to go in the early to mid 2nd round, and is projected to be the best CB when the Colts pick comes. He is expected to go around 34, so he's not areach. AJ Jenkins is a bit of a reach because he's expected to go in the mid 3rd round, but he's one the most underrated prospects in the nation, and I think he has great great potential. He was one of the most productive receivers in the country last year and has great potential. He could reach that potential with Luck. I think he's too good to pass on. They need a lot of good players, but they have a lot of picks. They have a 4th rounder in which I think they take Egnew, who's a top 5 TE. They have another underrated prospect in Hicks. It's a rebuilding project and you can't expect the Colts to get all quality players in this year's draft and get to the playoffs next year. We still have next year's draft to address the remaining needs and the draft after that. This draft the Colts should lay down a foundation and build from there.

*need reach pick

Size doesnt mean anything if you cant cover. Gilmore is inconsistent at coverage. Tight hips. Id take the smaller guy who can run with the best of them then the bigger guy who gets left in the dust. Not that I think Hosley is that guy, im just sayin.

Size doesnt mean anything if you cant cover. Gilmore is inconsistent at coverage. Tight hips. Id take the smaller guy who can run with the best of them then the bigger guy who gets left in the dust. Not that I think Hosley is that guy, im just sayin.

Bingo! Brandon Flowers is 5'9 and is a great CB. Sean Smith is 6'3, but he isn't that good.

Well, I should just announce that I'm already working on a new one. Rough draft looks like this:

1. Luck

2. Janoris Jenkins CB

3. Ta'amu NT

4. AJ Jenkins WR

5. Ellison TE

5C. Nix OG

6C. Hillman RB

7. Davis CB

7. Owusu WR

7C. Cole ILB

I think Gilmour will be a great corner in a zone team. If that's what we play great. If we play more man, Jenkins. Only two corners I would take at 34 if I were picking (i don realize I'm not). No NT at 34 either. Could see WR Hill, WR Wright, DE/DT Reeyes, DE/OLB Perry, TE Fleener, ILB Hightower. All of those guys are worth it IMO

Well, I should just announce that I'm already working on a new one. Rough draft looks like this:

1. Luck

2. Janoris Jenkins CB

3. Ta'amu NT

4. AJ Jenkins WR

5. Ellison TE

5C. Nix OG

6C. Hillman RB

7. Davis CB

7. Owusu WR

7C. Cole ILB

Who is Ellison? Receiving or blocking TE?

I think Gilmour will be a great corner in a zone team. If that's what we play great. If we play more man, Jenkins. Only two corners I would take at 34 if I were picking (i don realize I'm not). No NT at 34 either. Could see WR Hill, WR Wright, DE/DT Reeyes, DE/OLB Perry, TE Fleener, ILB Hightower. All of those guys are worth it IMO

All those guys are worth it, except none of them will be there. There's a possibility for Perry, Fleener and Hill, but everyone else is unrealistic. If Fleener drops, then they should take him in a heartbeat. I don't want Hill or Perry.

Who is Ellison? Receiving or blocking TE?

Mainly blocking, but he's pretty good at receiving. I saw improvement in his receiving this year and he could become a good one in the NFL with Luck. He reminds me of tall Jacob Tamme.

All those guys are worth it, except none of them will be there. There's a possibility for Perry, Fleener and Hill, but everyone else is unrealistic. If Fleener drops, then they should take him in a heartbeat. I don't want Hill or Perry.

I've seen mocks by analysts that have Jenkins, Glimour, Perry, Fleener, Hightower, Cox or Hill all falling. Not in the same mock but they all been dropped at times. You never know who will drop. Good to be at 34

I can understand passing on Perry, but I don't see how the Colts could pass on Hill if he's there. If it's between Fleener and Hill I can see us going Fleener, but Hill is definitely hard to pass up for the Colts if he is there. Him learning from Wayne and some coaching he could turn into a very good WR for the Colts.

I've seen mocks by analysts that have Jenkins, Glimour, Perry, Fleener, Hightower, Cox or Hill all falling. Not in the same mock but they all been dropped at times. You never know who will drop. Good to be at 34

You didn't mention Jenkins the first time. I think Jenkins will be dropping, and I had to make a decision on Hosley or Jenkins, and I originally went with Hosley, but looking at it now, looking at their tapes, and getting crap from a lot of the members, Jenkins is the better choice. That's a good point that you never know who could drop, and that's what makes the draft so exciting.

I would take Brandon Boykin in the 2nd ( IF Fleener isn't available ) ... he can also be a returner... I would also look at Josh Robinson... my concerns with him is what are we playing.. he is great in Zone.. but not so good in man.. TE:.. Green would be better than Ellison..

I like your draft especially the OG that many don't put in.. I love Hicks @ NT Sleeper/ Steal..

I would take Brandon Boykin in the 2nd ( IF Fleener isn't available ) ... he can also be a returner... I would also look at Josh Robinson... my concerns with him is what are we playing.. he is great in Zone.. but not so good in man.. TE:.. Green would be better than Ellison..

I like your draft especially the OG that many don't put in.. I love Hicks @ NT Sleeper/ Steal..

Where you getting that from. Man is Robinson's Bread and Butter

Um, ok, I don't act like getting the best CB will get us over the hump. But you have to start somewhere, you have to start chipping away at your needs so that the team is strong going forward. Oh and by the way, Jayron Hosley at 34 is not a need, he is expected to go in the early to mid 2nd round, and is projected to be the best CB when the Colts pick comes.

It's a dangerous way of thinking it. Colts will draft 1st round potential at pick 34, because no matter what SOMEONE will drop. We have a lot of needs, which means going BPA available is the only thing to do, not best CB available! If for some reason the best pick at 34 is a CB, of course I'd go for it, but this draft is full of CB's, no need to reach. I actually expect the Colts to get a lot of steals down the rounds...

And I totally agree on A.J. Jenkins, can't believe he's so underrated. Have seem him projected around the 6th round. Even if reaching a bit for him, will turn out to be a steal.

It seems like every where theres a few guys that are predicted to go middle of the first round that for one reason or another fall to early to middle of the second round. Im just excited to see who it is. I can't wait for the draft, I don't think i've been this excited for it in years (and I watch most of the draft every year). I think as long as we go BPA this year instead of reaching we'll pick up some quality starters.

I love Jenkins skill set (gators fan) and would love to see him in a colts uniform, my only concern is with a guy like that I think you need a strong Defensive leader to keep him in check (mainly off the field)

1. Luck

2. Janoris Jenkins CB

3. Ta'amu NT

4. AJ Jenkins WR

5. Ellison TE

5C. Nix OG

6C. Hillman RB

7. Davis CB

7. Owusu WR

7C. Cole ILB

I like this much better than your first draft.

I have been high on Akiem Nicks for the longest time, let us hope we pull the trigger on him.

Um, ok, I don't act like getting the best CB will get us over the hump. But you have to start somewhere, you have to start chipping away at your needs so that the team is strong going forward. Oh and by the way, Jayron Hosley at 34 is not a need, he is expected to go in the early to mid 2nd round, and is projected to be the best CB when the Colts pick comes. He is expected to go around 34, so he's not a reach. AJ Jenkins is a bit of a reach because he's expected to go in the mid 3rd round, but he's one the most underrated prospects in the nation, and I think he has great great potential. He was one of the most productive receivers in the country last year and has great potential. He could reach that potential with Luck. I think he's too good to pass on. They need a lot of good players, but they have a lot of picks. They have a 4th rounder in which I think they take Egnew, who's a top 5 TE. They have another underrated prospect in Hicks. It's a rebuilding project and you can't expect the Colts to get all quality players in this year's draft and get to the playoffs next year. We still have next year's draft to address the remaining needs and the draft after that. This draft the Colts should lay down a foundation and build from there.

hosley is expected to go 34? i just saw kiper and mcshay's 2 round mock draft and he wasn't in either. he is considered a high 3rd rounder by scouts inc....15th best cb by national football post...wasn't included in mike mylock's top 5 corners. not that the guy doesn't have talent, but i find it hard to believe somebody is going to take a toothpick like hosley high in the 2nd.

not that i like the pick, but i will give you a break on aj jenkins. a lot of different opinions about him...kiper has him going in high 2nd!

1. Luck

2. Janoris Jenkins CB

3. Ta'amu NT

4. AJ Jenkins WR

5. Ellison TE

5C. Nix OG

6C. Hillman RB

7. Davis CB

7. Owusu WR

7C. Cole ILB

i like this much better....the top part anyway. i'm afraid ta'amu wont be there because of positional scarcity. first 5 rounds are pretty solid..although i'm not sure about ellison.