Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Mount Rushmore (All Time)

danlhart87

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone wants to list skill players as the Mt. Rushmore but I will throw some love to a few linemen.

Anthony Munoz

Forrest Gregg

John Hanna

Bruce Matthews

Mike Webster

They were just as good at their positions than any of the skilled players.

Without guys like this those skilled players wouldn't have been able to do what they did.

1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

I just did one QB.  I tried to do multiple positions. The ones I selected are considered the best at their positions by a wide margin that is why I selected them.  

If it was a QB list, I would have Peyton second.

Brady was your 1...

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Jk

Setting certain stipulations for my list:

- 2 offense, 2 defense

- No duplicate positions

With that in mind, I’ll do two lists, one based on career stats and one based on overall dominance (in shorter careers):

List 1: Stats

QB Tom Brady

WR Jerry Rice

DE Reggie White

LB Dick Butkus

List 2: Dominance

RB Barry Sanders

WR Calvin Johnson

LB Patrick Willis

FS Sean Taylor

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone wants to list skill players as the Mt. Rushmore but I will throw some love to a few linemen.

Anthony Munoz

Forrest Gregg

John Hanna

Bruce Matthews

Mike Webster

They were just as good at their positions than any of the skilled players.

Without guys like this those skilled players wouldn't have been able to do what they did.

Randall McDaniel, Ron Yary

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have 3 QB's on it, just have to have:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Joe Montana

Jim Brown - has to be on it.

The QB is the most important position on the field, believe me I hate having no defensive players on it but Jim Brown belongs eventhough Emmitt has the key records.

Just one QB!!! Pick one.

2 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Setting certain stipulations for my list:

- 2 offense, 2 defense

- No duplicate positions

With that in mind, I’ll do two lists, one based on career stats and one based on overall dominance (in shorter careers):

List 1: Stats

QB Tom Brady

WR Jerry Rice

DE Reggie White

LB Dick Butkus

List 2: Dominance

RB Barry Sanders

WR Calvin Johnson

LB Patrick Willis

FS Sean Taylor

Dominance: Jim Brown, even Barry's Dad would tell you that. :)

4 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I just did one QB.  I tried to do multiple positions. The ones I selected are considered the best at their positions by a wide margin that is why I selected them.  

If it was a QB list, I would have Peyton second.

I know it is tough to leave Tom off because he did win 6 SB's, even this guy understands sad peyton manning GIF by Gatorade

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I had take 1 QB it would be Peyton.

The thing about Peyton is he revolutionized the way QBs play the game. 

I understand some want to say Brady because of the rings but super bowls are a team orientated accomplishment. 

Had Peyton not lost his health he would be right up there with Brady and Brees and their stats. 

Is Brady or Manning any better or more talented than Marino, Rogers or Montana? 

The list includes guys like Favre, Elway, Starr, Young and Warner etc...etc..

IMO. no. The rules protecting the QB position has produced these huge numbers. 

As brought up earlier by Fluke_33, how can anyone say there was a better QB (or player) than Sammy Baugh? 

Jeez, just think about what he did not only as a QB but as an all around football player. 

He still has the 2nd best punting average of 45.1 in league history. He still holds the record for a season averaging 51.4 yards per punt. 

He is still tied for the interception record with 4 in one game. In that same game he also threw for 4 TDs. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/139513

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand some want to say Brady because of the rings but super bowls are a team orientated accomplishment. 

Had Peyton not lost his health he would be right up there with Brady and Brees and their stats. 

As brought up earlier by Fluke_33, how can anyone say there was a better QB (or player) than Sammy Baugh? 

Jeez, just think about what he did not only as a QB but as an all around football player. 

He still has the 2nd best punting average of 45.1 in league history. He still holds the record for a season averaging 51.4 yards per punt. 

He is still tied for the interception record with 4 in one game. In that same game he also threw for 4 TDs. 

To me it is a matter of opinion like we have talked about in the past. I guess it depends on how much stock you put in to players that played in the 40's and 50's. That was so far before my time that I usually take players that played in the SB era with the exception of Jim Brown because he was so far ahead of his time. Johnny Unitas even played in the SB era so I was able to see a lot of highlights of him. Like if I was going to do a Mt Rushmore of QB's I would have:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

-those are the 4 that have stood out to me.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

First, let me say this, I loathe the Patriots. Every game they play and lose is music to my ears. Watching the dumpster fire they have at the QB position has been like sipping cold ice tea on a hot summer evening. Listening to Bill snort and grunt his way through every press conference is must watch TV for me. LOL

That being said, I have always admired Brady and find him infinitely more likeable and able to root for now that he is with Tampa. His accomplishments are way more than just rings. He is the winningest QB to ever play the game and also the most clutch. All 6 of his SBs were won with GWDs. That is astounding. That is Michael Jordan level if not greater because every game is a game 7.  But his longevity combined with the winning is what sets him apart. Even at age 43 on a new team in a new system that is not favorable to his skillset he has his team positioned for the playoffs. It has been 20 years of this. There isn't anyone near him in terms of what he has accomplished in the hardest team sport IMO at the most difficult position to play. 

In terms of stats, the only use I have for stats for any QB is to measure them vs their peers. I think that is the only fair way to do it because of how the game has changed over the years both in terms of style and strategy and the rules. And really stats only matter if it leads to wins.

10 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

First, let me say this, I loathe the Patriots. Every game they play and lose is music to my ears. Watching the dumpster fire they have at the QB position has been like sipping cold ice tea on a hot summer evening. Listening to Bill snort and grunt his way through every press conference is must watch TV for me. LOL

That being said, I have always admired Brady and find him infinitely more likeable and able to root for now that he is with Tampa. His accomplishments are way more than just rings. He is the winningest QB to ever play the game and also the most clutch. All 6 of his SBs were won with GWDs. That is astounding. That is Michael Jordan level if not greater because every game is a game 7.  But his longevity combined with the winning is what sets him apart. Even at age 43 on a new team in a new system that is not favorable to his skillset he has his team positioned for the playoffs. It has been 20 years of this. There isn't anyone near him in terms of what he has accomplished in the hardest team sport IMO at the most difficult position to play. 

In terms of stats, the only use I have for stats for any QB is to measure them vs their peers. I think that is the only fair way to do it because of how the game has changed over the years both in terms of style and strategy and the rules. And really stats only matter if it leads to wins.

Brady is the most accomplished QB, no debate there. Peyton did win 5 League MVP's though which will never be matched and won 2 SB's as a starter on 2 different teams, nobody has done that either. Can't go wrong with either. Brady has always had Belichick for all of his Titles, imagine Peyton with Belichick? Those QB's along with Montana are the best I have seen by eye test anyway.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady is the most accomplished QB, no debate there. Peyton did win 5 League MVP's though which will never be matched and won 2 SB's as a starter on 2 different teams, nobody has done that either. Can't go wrong with either. Brady has always had Belichick for all of his Titles, imagine Peyton with Belichick? Those QB's along with Montana are the best I have seen by eye test anyway.

When talking about Mount Rushmore that is really all there is. There is no close second. Peyton had a great career as did Montana, Elway, etc. They are not there with Brady. 

I think we are starting to find out that the Patriots success was more about Brady than Bill. This is now his 7th season of his coaching career without Brady and he is still a sub .500 coach.  

2 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

When talking about Mount Rushmore that is really all there is. There is no close second. Peyton had a great career as did Montana, Elway, etc. They are not there with Brady. 

I think we are starting to find out that the Patriots success was more about Brady than Bill. This is now his 7th season of his coaching career without Brady and he is still a sub .500 coach.  

I think it was a 50/50 combo of both Brady and BB. Without each other they are not the same IMO. Bucs will make the playoffs but have a much better roster than the Pats have. I don't see the Bucs winning the SB though or making it. Pats have average weapons on offense this year and Cam is average at best. If the Pats even had Rivers for example I bet they would be at least 8-5 instead of 6-7.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it was a 50/50 combo of both Brady and BB. Without each other they are not the same IMO. Bucs will make the playoffs but have a much better roster than the Pats have. I don't see the Bucs winning the SB though or making it. Pats have average weapons on offense this year and Cam is average at best. If the Pats even had Rivers for example I bet they would be at least 8-5 instead of 6-7.

It is always the transcendent player responsible for winning. It is 80/20.  Great coaching gives you about 20% chance better. But it means nothing without the players especially the QB. That is why the Patriots are 6-7. They have a terrible QB - Newton is ranked 28th for passing QBs, he is 35th in TDs which means back ups have thrown for more TDs than him. 

The Patriots were 12-4 last year and are on their way most likely to 7-9. That is the difference of a Brady or a Manning. 5 wins.  The Bucs were 7-9 last year, they most likely finish with 10 or 11 wins this year and that is with Brady learning a completely new system and at age 43. That is what an elite QB brings. The QB covers up everything and Brady for a long time has covered Bills awful GM moves. Now people are finally seeing just how void of talent that roster really is.

3 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

It is always the transcendent player responsible for winning. It is 80/20.  Great coaching gives you about 20% chance better. But it means nothing without the players especially the QB. That is why the Patriots are 6-7. They have a terrible QB - Newton is ranked 28th for passing QBs, he is 35th in TDs which means back ups have thrown for more TDs than him. 

The Patriots were 12-4 last year and are on their way most likely to 7-9. That is the difference of a Brady or a Manning. 5 wins.  The Bucs were 7-9 last year, they most likely finish with 10 or 11 wins this year and that is with Brady learning a completely new system and at age 43. That is what an elite QB brings. The QB covers up everything and Brady for a long time has covered Bills awful GM moves. Now people are finally seeing just how void of talent that roster really is.

I really don't disagree that having a franchise QB is more important than having a great coach but BB is great as well. Give him just a good QB like Rivers or even a Carr the Pats are in the thick of it. Brady and Peyton both are good for 4 or 5 more wins on most rosters, I agree.

3 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I guess your not aware that Belichick started out this season with a losing team?

He hocked his team to win two super bowls and lose one in 4 years

He had 8 players opt out for COVID.

He had no cap room and didn't have the funds to resign Brady. 

Look, I hate the Patriots just as much as anyone because of being a Colt fan, not because of hating on Belichick or Brady.

You can say any one QB is the greatest but that dont happen if a team is not built around them and that team is not coached excellent. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess your not aware that Belichick started out this season with a losing team?

He hocked his team to win two super bowls and lose one in 4 years

He had 8 players opt out for COVID.

He had no cap room and didn't have the funds to resign Brady. 

Look, I hate the Patriots just as much as anyone because of being a Colt fan, not because of hating on Belichick or Brady.

You can say any one QB is the greatest but that dont happen if a team is not built around them and that team is not coached excellent. 

Yes. The Patriots had the most opt-outs but their main issue all year has been QB play. Cam has been awful. That is really the difference between 6-7 and 9-4.  Bill has coached many seasons without Brady and has been sub .500 as coach. That is a pretty dramatic fall off given the dominance he has had with Brady. Time will tell as he does need time to retool and find another legit QB. Although, I hope he never does and the Patriots are a middler team forever. LOL

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't disagree that having a franchise QB is more important than having a great coach but BB is great as well. Give him just a good QB like Rivers or even a Carr the Pats are in the thick of it. Brady and Peyton both are good for 4 or 5 more wins on most rosters, I agree.

Franchise QB is the most important position on the team and most critical to winning. You need a good coach but not a great one if you have THE guy. 

BTW, the Rivers/Reich relationship looks to be pretty special. I had said at the start of the season that I thought Rivers was washed. I am thrilled to be wrong.  I love the Colts chances down the stretch. D is playing great.

5 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Franchise QB is the most important position on the team and most critical to winning. You need a good coach but not a great one if you have THE guy. 

BTW, the Rivers/Reich relationship looks to be pretty special. I had said at the start of the season that I thought Rivers was washed. I am thrilled to be wrong.  I love the Colts chances down the stretch. D is playing great.

I am ready to boast because I loved the Rivers signing but I won't yet because as soon as I do we may lay an egg. I will feel a lot better if we win today.

14 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Yes. The Patriots had the most opt-outs but their main issue all year has been QB play. Cam has been awful. That is really the difference between 6-7 and 9-4.  Bill has coached many seasons without Brady and has been sub .500 as coach. That is a pretty dramatic fall off given the dominance he has had with Brady. Time will tell as he does need time to retool and find another legit QB. Although, I hope he never does and the Patriots are a middler team forever. LOL

I am with you on wanting the Patriots to be a bad team no doubt.

Cam is a 1 million dollar QB. lol. 

Archived