Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Bears: A look at Chicago's stats, ranks, and personnel

EastStreet

6 hours ago, Nickster said:

Are you coming around on Taylor's limitations at all?  Not trying to start the great controversy again here, but I have been saying that JT's skillset begs for this type of traditional, downhill attack.  

The Colts haven't run much of this type of O in a long, long time.  Mudd was a zone blocking guy and Seems Frank is too.

I think to maximize JT talent, he needs a FB to follow.  I think the Colts must have thought long and hard about going to some of that because they had that fullback, but must have decided to not commit to it, probably because of Mack's success in the current system.

I don't know if you can just become a power team on the fly.  No way PR can be in the pistol, so it would have to come from under center.

I think JT, in the short term, should run more man/power, than zone. That's just in the short term though until he gets comfortable. Mack took some time to get his timing and chemistry down in zone running, but learned and was very good. 

That's not a limitation, it's just normal rookie RB stuff. I also think they should run him more to the edge, which he's always excelled at. The digs on him as far as limitations were coming out of college, was the mileage on him, and the need to improve his jump cut.

I don't think he needs a FB at all. He can use a TE every once in a while on certain down/distances if need be, but he's fine without one in the general sense.

I don't think we need to be a "power team", we just need to run more power than we have. We've got the OL to do so.

It all rest on our DL. If they can shutdown David Montgomery RB... then the LB can really focus on the rest, including rushing Foles. Foles is unflappable but he is also vulnerable physically. The key is to confuse the WR's making Foles guess how his WR will read and react. In the Falcon's game he threw to open spaces for the receivers to run under. The Falcons were really really bad.  I am worried about Xavier and Rock. Xavier because they have seen alot of him with the Vikings, and Rock because he just got back. 

On Offense, our running and TE and short passes should do just fine. Occasionally TY goes deep. I see Mo and Doyle having a big game, and Hines as well. 

When Nick Foles went to the Bears, the guys on NFL Network accurately pointed out that the last time Foles had led a team to victory as a starting quarterback was the Wild Card playoff game against Chicago, when their kicker Cody Parkey missed a field goal attempt with :10 left and the Eagles won by a point. He went to the Jaguars next and broke his collarbone in Week 1, and he was 0 for 4 when he returned before being benched in favor of Gardner Minshew for the remainder of the season.

Last weekend’s comeback against Atlanta does not end this odd statistic, as he entered the game in relief of an ineffective starter Mitch Trubisky.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:36 PM, AustexColt said:

It all rest on our DL. If they can shutdown David Montgomery RB... then the LB can really focus on the rest, including rushing Foles. Foles is unflappable but he is also vulnerable physically. The key is to confuse the WR's making Foles guess how his WR will read and react. In the Falcon's game he threw to open spaces for the receivers to run under. The Falcons were really really bad.  I am worried about Xavier and Rock. Xavier because they have seen alot of him with the Vikings, and Rock because he just got back. 

On Offense, our running and TE and short passes should do just fine. Occasionally TY goes deep. I see Mo and Doyle having a big game, and Hines as well. 

They picked up Lamar Miller but i dont know how much he will play if any

I'm worried about this one. 

We need to be able to run the ball successfully against this defense, and our pass defense can't have a repeat of the JAX game.

We are thin at WR right now, and if we can't get the run game going, Rivers could have a tough time against the Bears secondary.  Will be interesting to see what happens, and it should give us all a much better idea of where the Colts actually stand.

10 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

I'm worried about this one. 

This is our toughest game so far no doubt. 

We need to be able to run the ball successfully against this defense, and our pass defense can't have a repeat of the JAX game.

You have to think Foles will try to pick on us short and in the seam.

We are thin at WR right now, and if we can't get the run game going, Rivers could have a tough time against the Bears secondary.  Will be interesting to see what happens, and it should give us all a much better idea of where the Colts actually stand.

Not to worried here. Still plenty of pass catchers, and Rivers has already proven he can distribute. You have TY, Pascal, Doyle, Mo, Hines, Taylor, and all the rest. Hoping to see Fountain get some targets again this week, and even Dulin. I'd love to see Patmon dress and get some time.

The one thing that worries me heading into this one:  The Bears are one of the best defensive teams on getting off the field on 3rd downs while the Colts are one of the worst on converting them.

It would behoove (yes, I just used that word for the first time in a sentence) the Colts to stay out of many 3rd-and-long situations in this one.

32 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

The one thing that worries me heading into this one:  The Bears are one of the best defensive teams on getting off the field on 3rd downs while the Colts are one of the worst on converting them.

It would behoove (yes, I just used that word for the first time in a sentence) the Colts to stay out of many 3rd-and-long situations in this one.

Bears D isn't near as good as it was last year thus far. Reich knows Foles, and the team knows Pagano, so not really that worried so long as Reich doesn't lay an egg of a game plan. He's laid some eggs before, so I guess not out of the question though lol. If we have a good run/pass mix, and don't play soft coverage too much, we should be fine. 

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Bears D isn't near as good as it was last year thus far. Reich knows Foles, and the team knows Pagano, so not really that worried so long as Reich doesn't lay an egg of a game plan. He's laid some eggs before, so I guess not out of the question though lol. If we have a good run/pass mix, and don't play soft coverage too much, we should be fine. 

Hope so.  Just think if the Colts have been struggling vs. the Jets and other weaklings then they may really struggle vs. the Bears.  Maybe not, we will see.  I do think it would help to have 3rd-and-2 though instead of 3rd-and-7.  I think moving the game back will help weather-wise too.

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Almost everyone on the team that “knows Pagano” are no longer on the team.    

There are roughly 5-6 guys who played in the 17 still with us?    Hilton, AC,  Kelly and maybe Doyle?  Clark?  Walker?   I’m sure I‘m missing someone?    Just saying the holdovers are few and far between.  

Is there a coach?   I don’t think so.  And, of course, Ballard for one season.  Nit much to speak of. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are roughly 5-6 guys who played in the 17 still with us?    Hilton, AC,  Kelly and maybe Doyle?  Clark?  Walker?   I’m sure I‘m missing someone?    Just saying the holdovers are few and far between.  

Is there a coach?   I don’t think so.  And, of course, Ballard for one season.  Nit much to speak of. 

It's only really relevant to our O players since. 

Brissett started in 17, so he played against Pagano's D every day in practice for a year. Part of the backup's job is game prep, so he should be able to help in the QB room.

TY has seen all of Pagano's coverages over the years in practice and as the leader in the WR room, I'm sure he's schooling folks. Same with Doyle who notched his first PB in 2017.

Mack was here in 17. Not sure how much he's in the RB room, but if he is, he can certainly help.

AC and Glow were both here, and I'd expect AC to be able to talk front 7.

It's not just the coaches... virtually every leader, co-leader, or past leader in all groups has had time with Pagano.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Brissett started in 17, so he played against Pagano's D every day in practice for a year. Part of the backup's job is game prep, so he should be able to help in the QB room.

TY has seen all of Pagano's coverages over the years in practice and as the leader in the WR room, I'm sure he's schooling folks. Same with Doyle who notched his first PB in 2017.

Mack was here in 17. Not sure how much he's in the RB room, but if he is, he can certainly help.

It's not just the coaches... virtually every leader, co-leader, or past leader in all groups has had time with Pagano.

Glow wasn’t here.   I think you mean Clark.  Good catch on Brissett. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Indianapolis_Colts_season

Shows Glow here in 17. I'd look for AC to be the guy with the most input though anyway.

You're sorta right...

December 18 of 2017.    I confess I though we grabbed him in 2018.    I confused it when he started for us,  which was around game 5 or 6 of that season.

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't know how you write that virtually every leader in ALL GROUPS has had time with Pagano.   We've both noted that almost every player who is still here is from the offensive side of the ball.

So, there are almost no leaders on the defensive side of the ball.   Hooker and Walker.     Hooker got hurt, and Walker who didn't play much at all.    Curious.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know how you write that virtually every leader in ALL GROUPS has had time with Pagano.   We've both noted that almost every player who is still here is from the offensive side of the ball.

So, there are almost no leaders on the defensive side of the ball.   Hooker and Walker.     Hooker got hurt, and Walker who didn't play much at all.    Curious.

Come on man. I think you're looking for some type of debate. Pagano is the Bear's DC, so our D players don't matter.

And I said "virtually every leader, co-leader, or past leader". 

Brissett is a past leader, although everyone goes on an on about his leadership even now. Check.

TY is the leader of the WRs. Check

Doyle is the leader of the TEs. Check

Mack is the co-leader of our RB (if he's even in the RB room now). Check.

AC is the leader or co-leader vet of our OL. Check.

And Glow was here in 17. That's not sorta, even if he was added later.

Have we even had that many 3rd downs? If the sample size is small im not tripping too hard. Id be more concerned if the sample size was large and we were still last in the league. I dont know why yall are so scared of this Bears team. I for one am not.

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

Have we even had that many 3rd downs? If the sample size is small im not tripping too hard. Id be more concerned if the sample size was large and we were still last in the league. I dont know why yall are so scared of this Bears team. I for one am not.

I'm not tripping either, but we have had a lot of 4, 5, and 6 and outs. Better than 3 and outs I guess. It's not great however you look at it. I chalk it up to predictable play calling thus far. We've been pretty plain jane so far, so perhaps the play book opens up a bit tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not tripping either, but we have had a lot of 4, 5, and 6 and outs. Better than 3 and outs I guess. It's not great however you look at it. I chalk it up to predictable play calling thus far. We've been pretty plain jane so far, so perhaps the play book opens up a bit tomorrow.

The red zone area is what ive been harping on.  We move the ball fine, but we need better execution to finish the drive out. This Bears team is hella average in more than one area and they arent high scoring. I dont think Foles will change that. Atlanta didnt have any time to prep for him. Weve seen the dude before, most of his weapons are mediocre, and weve had a whole week to prepare. I think that 3rd down stat is a bit overblown because we havent had that many 3rd downs. As long as we dont turn the ball over, continue to not give up the big play, and Frank doesnt go into dumbo mode trying to make Rivers throw 46 times I expect to win.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Come on man. I think you're looking for some type of debate. Pagano is the Bear's DC, so our D players don't matter.

And I said "virtually every leader, co-leader, or past leader". 

Brissett is a past leader, although everyone goes on an on about his leadership even now. Check.

TY is the leader of the WRs. Check

Doyle is the leader of the TEs. Check

Mack is the co-leader of our RB (if he's even in the RB room now). Check.

AC is the leader or co-leader vet of our OL. Check.

And Glow was here in 17. That's not sorta, even if he was added later.

This sums up how you present your arguments....

Glow was here in 17.     As I've noted,  MID-DECEMBER.     So, maybe 3 weeks.

Which means he was with Seattle for 13-14 weeks.     Which team do you think he played more for.   As far as your concerned,  it's Indianapolis.   You try to turn nothing into something.  That's how you debate.

I thought this was going to be a brief exchange.     That's the only reason why I engaged.    Turns out,  it's not.

So, at this point,  I'll respectfully bow out and end this.    

Good luck....

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

The red zone area is what ive been harping on.  We move the ball fine, but we need better execution to finish the drive out. This Bears team is hella average in more than one area and they arent high scoring. I dont think Foles will change that. Atlanta didnt have any time to prep for him. Weve seen the dude before, most of his weapons are mediocre, and weve had a whole week to prepare. I think that 3rd down stat is a bit overblown because we havent had that many 3rd downs. As long as we dont turn the ball over, continue to not give up the big play, and Frank doesnt go into dumbo mode trying to make Rivers throw 46 times I expect to win.

Bears to me are a bit of head scratcher. 3-0 but haven't looked good doing it. We can say they don't have weapons, but how much of that was having MT as a QB. Foles is also a head scratcher himself. Average or below average at times, but can play hero ball sometimes. Their D has taken a decent step back too. 

Purely my opinion, but we win as long as we have a decent game plan on O, and we don't let Foles pick us apart shallow and in the seam. If we come out conservative on O, I think that might hurt us. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

This sums up how you present your arguments....

Glow was here in 17.     As I've noted,  MID-DECEMBER.     So, maybe 3 weeks.

Which means he was with Seattle for 13-14 weeks.     Which team do you think he played more for.   As far as your concerned,  it's Indianapolis.   You try to turn nothing into something.  That's how you debate.

I thought this was going to be a brief exchange.     That's the only reason why I engaged.    Turns out,  it's not.

So, at this point,  I'll respectfully bow out and end this.    

Good luck....

This has very little to do with Glow, as you know. It was about our O leaders, which I laid out.

But you're making 1% of the exchange 99% of your point. Seems like you're back to being you lol.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Currently, 15 Colts who played under Chuck Pagano are still around:

Anthony Castonzo

T.Y. Hilton

Jack Doyle

Ryan Kelly

Luke Rhodes

Le’Raven Clark

Malik Hooker

Mo Alie-Cox

Marlon Mack

Jacoby Brissett

Mark Glowinski