Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Peyton Article From Denver Post

Peyton and Eli fan

That and it seemed like we just avoided giving him physicals the last few months of his tenure with us.

That could be. I know some pointed out that the Colts wouldn't give him a physical because that would mean he couldn't receive treatment/workout at the facility, which is simply not the case. Maybe it was conjecture.

He's obviously passed the Broncos physical and is still allowed to work out with their trainers due to rehabbing from the surgery. Any player can workout/lift weights at the facility, they just can't do so under the instruction of a coach.

I know the strength and conditioning coach was fired. How much of the rest of that staff was fired? It sounded like Peyton wasn't comfortable at the Colts' facility.

That is a good question. I'm not sure how much of that staff or the training staff was terminated. From what I took from that particular interview was that some keys were deactivated prior to them being informed of their firing. Which if that is the case, then that is simply a poor way of going about a change, unless something drastic had happened, and I doubt that was the case.

If you watch the press conference, Peyton got the most choked up when he talked about leaving the Colts' equipment guys. I think he took a lot of the firings very hard. His quote about it not being a good atmosphere for healing was pretty revealing I thought.

There was some interview, maybe post signing with Denver, maybe while he was still in Indy, where he said that his Dad had told him that some of the relationships he would form with the behind the scenes staff would be stronger than that of some coaches/teammates. I don't know if the majority of those guys were fired too. I haven't seen reports.

Just like a house can be uncomfortable with people on edge at each other, the same thing can easily happen in the workplace.

Well as bad as I hated to see Peyton leave I think it was best for him because they way this team is heading I wouldn't want him to spend the last years of his career going through this rebuilding mode so to speak. I don't see us being in the playoffs for a couple of years and why waste a QB like Peyton while this is being done. At least now maybe he has a chance at another SB run in the near future. It will seem funny seeing him playing for another franchise but the best option for him. Like I have said before time will tell whether this was a good move or not but I think for him it will play out well. JMO of course.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to start a debate. I just found it fishy. I understand they didn't intend on keeping him, but why risk a locker room issue with the statements like "If he wants, he'll be a Colt" or "It isn't about the money."? There was just far too much beating around the bush. If you wanna cut someone, do it. Don't give your fanbase false hope or try to turn it into a campaign.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to start a debate. I just found it fishy. I understand they didn't intend on keeping him, but why risk a locker room issue with the statements like "If he wants, he'll be a Colt" or "It isn't about the money."? There was just far too much beating around the bush. If you wanna cut someone, do it. Don't give your fanbase false hope or try to turn it into a campaign.

Whilst I agree with you - it is a possible that Peyton and Irsay agreed to wait til the date it happened so that Peyton could be as close to 100% to work out for future teams and impress them. I think one thing is clear - Irsay had his mind made up a long time ago. Peyton probably knew this but held out hope and even made a last ditch effort for Irsay to change his mind with the "leaked" Duke video.

Whilst I agree with you - it is a possible that Peyton and Irsay agreed to wait til the date it happened so that Peyton could be as close to 100% to work out for future teams and impress them. I think one thing is clear - Irsay had his mind made up a long time ago. Peyton probably knew this but held out hope and even made a last ditch effort for Irsay to change his mind with the "leaked" Duke video.

Doesn't much matter now..... It's a done deal. And don't get me wrong, I would have loved for Peyton to still be here, but he's not, and all the hashing and re-hashing isn't going to change it.