Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Signings............

Scott Pennock

I am starting to see a trend here with the free agents............

So we have resigned two Colts (Irsay)..............Wayne and Mathis

We have signed two Ravens (Pagano)...............Zbikowski and Redding

We have signed two Eagles (Grigson)...............Justice and McGlynn

We have signed one Steeler (Arians).............A.Q. Shipley...........

So by my count we are due to sign one more Steeler and two former Chargers (Manusky)..............the question is, what former Steelers or Chargers would help us out the most?

Antonio Garay - NT (Chargers)

Marcus McNeill - OT (Chargers)

Luis Castillo - DE (Chargers)

Tommie Harris - DE (Chargers)

Max Starks - OT (Steelers)

Bryant McFadden - CB (Steelers)

I hope it is Garay and then re-sign Wheeler and Tamme.

Really need a speed wideout that can stretch the field.

I think we may be lucky. This is a nice deep draft at wide-out. Do you have any favorites other than the ones that likely will be taken? What round (s) do you think we would grab the WR? Best available by round???

I think we may be lucky. This is a nice deep draft at wide-out. Do you have any favorites other than the ones that likely will be taken? What round (s) do you think we would grab the WR? Best available by round???

AJ Jenkins in the fourth or Chris Owusu

AJ Jenkins in the fourth or Chris Owusu

As great as Garay would be, I feel like drafting a rookie NT would be more likely in that it'll go along with the theme of "rebuilding". He'd be cheap for a few years, young (obviously), and by time he has 2-3 years under his belt we've worked through most our cap problems and we've got a rebuilt team who is ready to contend for greatness.

alameda ta'amu is who I'm hoping the colts get. A lot of mock drafts have him going to the colts.

He hasn't trained a QB at this level ever and seems like too much of a responsibility for Clyde.

Not from a rookie on, but he was the QB coach for the Bucs in Trent Dilfer's third through I believe fifth seasons, during which time Dilfer improved a substantial amount. I don't know that that was Clyde's doing, but he has worked as a QB coach in the NFL before on top of his college coaching experience primarily being there and his playing career (in college) being the same.

I'd argue that this is exactly the responsibility he is qualified for.

Um, ok, don't know why you're acting so strange about the league sources thing, it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I was kinda already thinking that. ;)

You really have no idea about Clyde Christenson. He hasn't trained a QB at this level ever and seems like too much of a responsibility for Clyde.

What I know about Clyde Christiansen is that he was retained and named the new QB's coach. My pointing out they might have thought he'd make a good QB coach was in reference to the fact that you said he was kept around because they're going to be keeping some aspects of the old offense. I was merely providing an alternate theory as to why they kept him around.

Bruce Arians is better at developing QBs than Clyde. Look at what he did with Big Ben. So with both of us not knowing how the offense will be like, it's kinda silly to debate over something we don't know about.

I agree, we don't have any idea and that was the point. For all we know they could scrap the old offense completely and therefore a player "with knowledge of the old system" would be of no use unless he also fit into their vision of the new system. So using "he has knowledge of the old system" as a reason to keep a player has no merit. :)

Either way, I wouldn't think they would completely redo the system after all those years of success, it would just be a risk that's not worth taking. Plus, having new assistants in there doesn't mean much. A couple of years ago, I was brought in to be the new WR coach and a couple of other people where brought in to be offensive assistants, but we didn't change the scheme.

Where were you WR coach at?

I should also add that with that logic, then it would be worth it bringing back players pre-Pagano.

And yet the vast majority of the pre-Pagano offensive players have been released with the exception of offensive linemen. So if they have no problem letting the majority of pre-Pagano skill position players go then, and maybe I'm just misinterpreting things here, it would seem to me that is even further evidence that the offense system could be preparing to receive a complete overhaul.

Yeah, I was kinda already thinking that. ;)

What I know about Clyde Christiansen is that he was retained and named the new QB's coach. My pointing out they might have thought he'd make a good QB coach was in reference to the fact that you said he was kept around because they're going to be keeping some aspects of the old offense. I was merely providing an alternate theory as to why they kept him around.

Alright then, fair enough

I agree, we don't have any idea and that was the point. For all we know they could scrap the old offense completely and therefore a player "with knowledge of the old system" would be of no use unless he also fit into their vision of the new system. So using "he has knowledge of the old system" as a reason to keep a player has no merit. :)

Well I was thinking maybe they want to keep the good traits of the old offense and that's where Clyde comes in because with him on the staff, they'll keep those traits. What good teams want to do is take the good from what worked and improve on that.

Where were you WR coach at?

McGill Redmen CIS Football Team (CIS = Canadian NCAA)

And yet the vast majority of the pre-Pagano offensive players have been released with the exception of offensive linemen. So if they have no problem letting the majority of pre-Pagano skill position players go then, and maybe I'm just misinterpreting things here, it would seem to me that is even further evidence that the offense system could be preparing to receive a complete overhaul.

Donald Brown, Reggie Wayne, Delone Carter, AUstin Collie, Blair White? They're still around, that's quite a bit of starters or immediate backups. I think that the worst is done. I think all the cuts have been made on the offense, and now they're just looking to resign some of their FAs. A complete overhaul is really unlikely.