Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 QB Class

On 9/13/2019 at 11:45 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Gimme Burrow or Love all day in the beginning the of the 2nd round, and get a Henry Ruggs, Tee Higgins, Lamb, or Jalen Reagor in the 1st to line up with Parris Campbell and let these guys grow together. Let's go. 

Getting Lamb and Love with our first two picks would be nice!

Burrow is impressing me more and more. Some good tests coming up in the following weeks... the ultimate test will be Alabama, but that new LSU offense is filthy with him and the talented receivers he has. He's at 360 and 4 TDs at half time against Vanderbilt... they are a bad team but he's dispatching them like they are a bad team. There is no let down from him. BTW their defense is not amazing this year so Burrow will need high scoring game to hang with Alabama. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

the thing that concerns me about Love is,,,, his completion rate drops dramatic under pressure...against CSU I believe it was in the 30's%... he had 2 int & a fumble... his throws were  off also...may have been a bad day/game like the Colts today

Yeah, I've kinda lost my stock in him as the college season has progressed.  Sucks, but I still think theres quite a few great qbs that could fall to us. 

Here's to hoping Ballard also loses his taste in him, I know he was high on him before the season started.

I'm keeping an eye on Fromm, Herbert, Costello & Burrow. They seem to be the cream of the crop in my eyes, other than Tua who's going #1. Others I've been looking at are Eason & Stanley. Decent group of draft eligible QB's in 2020. Hopefully we draft one regardless. 

• Like 1

Dane Brugler published his top 60 ranking so far. Since it's a paid site I won't be copy-pasting the whole thing, but here are the QBs in his top 60(7 QBs!!!):

https://theathletic.com/1251341/2019/09/30/dane-bruglers-top-60-draft-board-seven-quarterbacks-crack-updated-list/

*Indicates draft-eligible underclassman

2. *Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama (6-0, 232, 4.78)

No, I don’t think Tagovailoa will be the consensus top quarterback for next year’s class. He won’t be for everyone due to his size and average arm strength. But for me, his anticipation, timing and improvisation skills separate him from the rest of the pack, making him QB1 at this stage in the process.

6. Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon (6-6, 240, 4.68)

After completing 59.4 percent of his passes last season, Herbert has 74.4 percent completions in 2019 with a 14-0 touchdown-interception ratio. Conservative play-calling has helped boost his stats, no question. But Herbert has clearly taken positive steps with his decision-making and awareness.

10. *Jordan Love, QB, Utah State (6-3, 224, 4.68)

“Mahomes-like” was mentioned when discussing Love with NFL scouts this summer for my quarterback preview. Although his decision-making requires maturing, Love is a loose passer with the arm talent and movements that help him create magic as a ball-handler

22. *Jacob Eason, QB, Washington (6-5, 230, 5.06)

With his size and arm talent, it hasn’t been a surprise to see Eason thriving with the Huskies. Through five games, he is completing 71 percent of his passes for 1,243 yards, 10 touchdowns and only two interceptions. Eason is still a work in progress mentally, but so far, so good.

28. *Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia (6-3, 224, 4.78)

One of the more polarizing prospects in the 2020 class, Fromm doesn’t have elite physical measurables and won’t be a fit for every offense at the NFL level. But he is highly accurate with the football intelligence and intangibles that will turn pro coaches into believers.

33. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU (6-3, 212, 4.88)

How Burrow performs against Alabama and Florida will tell us much more than Texas and Vanderbilt. But he looks like a much-improved player in several key areas.

60. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma (6-1, 223, 4.61)

There is still much we need to learn about Hurts and his progress, but how can you not be impressed by what he has done to this point, regardless of competition?

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Is Justin Fields draft eligible?

With Joe Burrow starting to light it up, there are now 4-5 decent round 1 QBs that might be available for the Colts to draft (If things dont go so well with JB)

Being a Buckeye fan, and I know you are too, Fields isn't ready yet. For the complaining that JB gets for holding onto the ball, Justin is worse. I figured with how Ryan handled Haskins last year and getting him to get rid of the ball quicker, that would have translated well over to Justin, but I haven't seen it. Once he gets really tested, or they have to play from behind late in the game, I don't think he will handle it nearly as well as Haskins did. Again, another year for Justin would do him well, but I can see him leaving for the NFL as he'll be 21 in March.

I'd like to see Dobbins in this offense. He's a bigger version of Hines and could steal carries/touches away from Mack.

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Being a Buckeye fan, and I know you are too, Fields isn't ready yet. For the complaining that JB gets for holding onto the ball, Justin is worse. I figured with how Ryan handled Haskins last year and getting him to get rid of the ball quicker, that would have translated well over to Justin, but I haven't seen it. Once he gets really tested, or they have to play from behind late in the game, I don't think he will handle it nearly as well as Haskins did. Again, another year for Justin would do him well, but I can see him leaving for the NFL as he'll be 21 in March.

I'd like to see Dobbins in this offense. He's a bigger version of Hines and could steal carries/touches away from Mack.

I would agree that Fields is not ready to starts for any NFL team next year....... I was just wondering if he was eligible

He seems to have size, speed, and arm measurables

He is a Mahomes "pattern" QB. Many miles behind him though, but they have many similar charachteristics 

He may be available at our pick in 2nd round

• Like 1