Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 QB Class

Jacoby Brissett is a great teammate and I am very thankful he is a Colt. This season should tell us what we can expect from him moving forward. I’m hopeful he will succeed and lead this team deep into the playoffs.

That being said, this draft class is very interesting. Tua and Fromm have shown they’re elite and will go early. But there are so many QBs with huge upside also available. Eason, Milton, and Bentley can all play but have their issues. 

Personally I’d be willing to give up quite a bit to get Tua. He’s incredibly talented and behind a good OL and with our QB friendly offense I think he would tear it up. 

Milton is someone I hope we draft regardless of Jacobys play. He’s a TD machine and a winner. If he can recover from his gruesome injury he could be a steal. (There’s no guarantee that he enters the draft or is health). IMO he’s a wildcard worth taking a shot on. 

What are your thoughts? 

29 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

On that note I read an article about Justin Herbert.  I don't know much about him but it sounds like he has a lot of academic interests and seemed to indicate that he might be a risk to bow out of the NFL early because of them.  

Yeah we don't need that again. I absolutely loved Luck when he played for us, but I always felt he lacked that killer instinct you need to become a multiple SB winning QB. He seems to also get that deer in the headlights look when things go bad. And he did occasionally have his horrible decision throws that went right to a defender. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Yeah we don't need that again. I absolutely loved Luck when he played for us, but I always felt he lacked that killer instinct you need to become a multiple SB winning QB. He seems to also get that deer in the headlights look when things go bad. And he did occasionally have his horrible decision throws that went right to a defender. 

I don't think he had that problem.  The problems with Luck I see as a player are 2.

1. He was a good soldier instead of demanding better from the GM, the owner etc.  Even Pat McAfee said that.  Said that if he could have sat behind Peyton he would have learned that the franchise QB can demand things but he didn't and so he came in and just tried to be a good soldier, took a beating and didn't complain.

2. I think he loved football but the thing that people miss is that football wasn't the only thing he wanted to do in his life.  And that I think is the difference.  If you want to find a guy who's going to play until he can't play anymore, you have to find a guy who the only thing he ever wanted to in his life was play pro-football.  Luck had all these other things he wanted to do in life, realized that pro-football was going to at the very least hinder him if not stop him from doing those and got out.  

Luck was a great player, and good teammate and I have tons of respect for him and respect his decision to leave.  But if you want a guy who is going to play til they can't play anymore. . . Luck was never your guy and I do think that's one of the things that was missed in the pre-draft scouting with him.  

Ryan Fitzpatrick is also like Luck quite smart, but despite not having Luck's talent Ryan Fitzpatrick has hung around.  Probably in large part because the only thing he wants is to play football.  

The dumb thing of all of it, is that as a person I respect Luck more for having other interests and pursuing them.  But as a Colts fan I want someone who's going to play til they can't do it anymore. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

On that note I read an article about Justin Herbert.  I don't know much about him but it sounds like he has a lot of academic interests and seemed to indicate that he might be a risk to bow out of the NFL early because of them.  

I need to watch Herbert. I literally haven’t seen a single Oregon game in years. He definitely has the size and leadership you like to see though. 

I'm just starting the Utah State vs Wake Forest game right now. Will write my first impressions of Jordan Love here... 

First thing that is obvious without him even taking a snap - he looks very well built physically, tall but not too tall((6'4"), looks to have athletic body type - has some weight on his body, not skinny, but also not stocky or having any extra weight. 

Plays from shotgun... I don't know if his first x-number of throws are scripted or what but they are playing hurry up offense. 

Second throw - bootleg to the right, throws on the move and completes 15 yards down the field right next to the sideline. Nice throw, ball snaps off his hand smoothly with good velocity. 

OK, so after the first 5 or 6 plays he's looking toward the sideline for his coach's input and playcalls... another good throw to the sideline only where his receiver can get it.  

Utah state scores on the first drive. He's looking good so far, nothing exceptional, but looks like a very competent QB, a lot of short'ish passes so far. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm just starting the Utah State vs Wake Forest game right now. Will write my first impressions of Jordan Love here... 

First thing that is obvious without him even taking a snap - he looks very well built physically, tall but not too tall((6'4"), looks to have athletic body type - has some weight on his body, not skinny, but also not stocky or having any extra weight. 

He has a strong arm too. He actually plays alot of up tempo offense at Utah State which would definitely be a plus for Reich. I can see why the were murmurs that Ballard likes him. 

He was a bit erratic last night, but did flash too. Could be a decent bet for the Colts to take him in Round 1, probably without the need to use draft capital to trade up.

• Like 1

Second drive - first bad throw, very short to the left on the sideline... underthrew it by good 5 yards or so... similar to Luck's underthrows from the KC game in the playoffs this year. 

Another inaccurate throw to the left... interesting... he's completed everything he's thrown to the right and he's missed 2 bad ones throwing to the left so far. 

And here we go - a very nice throw on a corner route to the left 30 yards downfield, he put a bit of touch on it too.... few plays later... another inaccurate underthrow on the fade to the left in the endzone - intercepted. Have to look at his footwork on those throws to the left. Something doesn't seem right on them. 

Second quarter... what a beautiful throw. I love how the ball leaves his hand - shotgun snap... pressure from the sides, side-steps subtly into the pocket strikes the receiver right into the numbers on the go route 30 yards downfield. On throws like this you can see why he's getting some 1st round buzz. Pretty pretty ball. 

2 minute drill... lets see how he deals with this one...

Another good step up in the pocket and very nice touch throw. down the middle of the field between 3 defenders. I think this is what has impressed me from Love the most so far - he does have very underrated touch on his throws. It's not all fastball with him, even though he does have the fastball when he needs it. 

The very next throw - sidearm throw to avoid contest from a defender. Nice. 

WOW! What a placement on the TD throw in the red zone! Placed it at the very corner of the red zone where only his guy could get it and the receiver did great job to get his foot inside the field on the landing! 6/6 on the drive for 70 yard drive. THis was a HIGH LEVEL stuff by Love. Kept his team composed and on pace, demonstrated variety of throws and dismantled Wake Forest's defense in a 2 minute drill to take the lead right before half-time. You can see why people like him. I'm still not sure he's a first rounder, but if he keeps this up throughout the whole year, he very well might be one worth looking at if Brissett doesn't work out. 

Second half under way... 

-very bad read down the middle on a slant... almost got picked up. I don't know how he didn't see the defender there. 

-he gets another TD but his receiver did most of the job here catching a screen and taking it to the end zone for 60 yards TD.... 

-interception in his own red zone. stared down the receiver and corner sat on the comeback route and got him. not a good throw... ball kind of lacked zip too. Weird. 

-first play after the interception - shows great movement in the pocket to avoid the rush and chucks it downfield for a runningback trying to exploit mismatch, good coverage by the linebacker... still should have been caught by a better receiver. Good to see that he's not phased by a bad play. 

-another good throw and ballplacement on the run to the right. Completes for 20 yards. 

-a 20 yard strike down the middle of the defense setting up an almost goalline 1st and goal. I love how he is responding to his mistake. 

Ends the game with an interception having to flee the pocket, tried to fit the ball between 2 levels of defenders and it got picked up by the first one. Not enough height. 

Overall, I like what I saw from Jordan Love. There is something to work with here. He's not a perfect prospect, but he does have some things that are intriguing for the NFL. 

Positives:

+Good armstrength, quick release

+Good pocket awareness and movement, can make throws both from the pocket and on the run 

+Variety of throws - there were sidearm throws, bullet throws, touch throws, lobs, backshoulder throws... he does have a repertoire of throws that not many prospects do.

+Good touch on his throws - this was surprising to me

+Not phased by mistakes - continues to make the throws he needs to make for his team to be in position to win.

-Uptempo offense fits him well - I see why Reich and Ballard would like him for our offense(if the reports are correct)

Negatives:

-Footwork and mechanics on throws to the left is a bit iffy, and results in inconsistent accuracy and underthrown balls.

-Inconsistent with his reads. He made some throws where I was wondering what he's seeing or rather... how he's not seeing the defender at the spot he's throwing to

-Sometimes stares down his receiver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Jacob Eason looking real good for Washington so far. He was a no. 1 recruit before he lost his spot to Fromm in Goergia and transferred to Washington. 

I think this Qb draft class might be something special. So many quality players flying under the radar 

I really liked what I saw from Kellen Mond in the Texas A&M-Texas State game. Will definitely be watching him as the season goes on. Pinpoint accuracy both inside and outside of the pocket. Looked like Aaron Rodgers at times.

It was against Texas State though. Next week against Clemson should be fun to watch.

• Like 1

Just watched Georgia vs Vanderbilt. Fromm is such a weird evaluation. He has supreme control over the offense, he seems like a very VERY smart  QB. He changes plays and protections at the LoS all the time, he signals and audibles out of plays depending on what he sees from the opponent. He takes what the opponent is giving him every time. And the offense is running very smoothly. The problem is... the actual offense is kind of cringeworthy... it's heavily reliant on the run game and short passing game. It's hard to actually evaluate him on what he can do AFTER the ball is snapped.

He is willing to take a hit while trying to deliver a pass, but I don't see great mobility and pocket awareness, there is virtually no subtle movement or attempts to avoid the rush in the pocket. I was writing about Jordan Love earlier and how he would boldly step into the pocket, move a little to avoid rushers, etc. This is not Fromm... On the flip-side, there is very few wth moments with Fromm... he's just consistently solid. Love would make some throws that make you scratch your head, Fromm seems to be much better and consistent with his reads... I wonder how he would look in a less conservative, more bold offensive system. The lack of movement in the pocket kind of bugs me. Maybe it's because I'm used to watching Luck maneuver in the pocket and it was such a beautiful sight... but Fromm's statuesque nature is really troubling to me. 

It's weird watching two so very different QBs in Love and Fromm... Both have their selling points and Fromm might actually have more to offer that is not shown in this Georgia offense, but right now I'm slightly favoring Love I think. I will watch Oregon and Auburn next and write some more about Herbert. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@stitches Fromm has the ability to make all the throws IMO. It would be interesting to see UGA open up the playbook for him, but ultimately they don’t need to with the weapons they have at RB and their defense. 

Do you think he lacks pocket awareness and mobility or was he not moved from his spot by the defense?

6 hours ago, SP_21 said:

@stitches Fromm has the ability to make all the throws IMO. It would be interesting to see UGA open up the playbook for him, but ultimately they don’t need to with the weapons they have at RB and their defense. 

Do you think he lacks pocket awareness and mobility or was he not moved from his spot by the defense?

He had to move, he just wasn't moving. For sure I will watch more... it might have just been a weird game for that aspect of his game, but he looked pretty statuesque in the pocket to me, not a lot of movement both in and outside the pocket, not stepping into the pocket, etc. He would drop back and pretty much throw from that spot, didn't make much of an effort to avoid rushers. 

6 hours ago, stitches said:

He had to move, he just wasn't moving. For sure I will watch more... it might have just been a weird game for that aspect of his game, but he looked pretty statuesque in the pocket to me, not a lot of movement both in and outside the pocket, not stepping into the pocket, etc. He would drop back and pretty much throw from that spot, didn't make much of an effort to avoid rushers. 

Didn't see the game but everything I'm reading on Fromm seems to indicate that he's a smart player who's athletically limited.  One report which was probably written before the retirement said he's Luck level smart.  

I would almost say he sounds like Peyton Manning but I wouldn't go out and say that he has that level of talent.  Peyton won by outsmarting the defense and it doesn't seem like he ever really excelled at doing the hero stuff when the play broke down (but most of the time he didn't need to.)  

Luck on the other hand seemed to be fairly good at both hero stuff when the play broke down but also standing and delivering from the pocket.

One thing that I havn't seen covered is what offense do these guys play in?  I would prefer a player from a pro-style system if possible.  It seems to me that the spread QB's that often have all the tools that NFL scouts like, they rarely make it as franchise guys in the NFL.    

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Didn't see the game but everything I'm reading on Fromm seems to indicate that he's a smart player who's athletically limited.  One report which was probably written before the retirement said he's Luck level smart.  

I would almost say he sounds like Peyton Manning but I wouldn't go out and say that he has that level of talent.  Peyton won by outsmarting the defense and it doesn't seem like he ever really excelled at doing the hero stuff when the play broke down (but most of the time he didn't need to.)  

Luck on the other hand seemed to be fairly good at both hero stuff when the play broke down but also standing and delivering from the pocket.

One thing that I havn't seen covered is what offense do these guys play in?  I would prefer a player from a pro-style system if possible.  It seems to me that the spread QB's that often have all the tools that NFL scouts like, they rarely make it as franchise guys in the NFL.    

Yeah, the reviews about Fromm's smarts and leadership qualities are very good. I've heard multiple people rave about him on those counts. 

Fromm is playing in more of a pro-style offense, although... it's not particularly inventive one. Still he's in charge of changing formations and protections as well as audibles at the LOS, he runs some RPOs and play actions from under center too.

From what I've seen Herbert and Love play in more spread offenses and almost entirely from the shotgun. 

Fromm will probably be much more ready to step in day one and run an NFL offense. The thing I don't know about him is just how good he is at making the throws he needs to make. This will be the thing I will be trying to to answer for myself this coming season. 

edit: I will be checking on some film of Fromm from last year. I want to see if this thing about his pocket presence can be seen in other games or if I just caught a weird one to 'scout' him at. 

edit2: yeah, I don't think pocket presence is his best attribute. Saw 3 games tape... he rarely if ever steps into the pocket or to the sides to avoid rushers. If he sees green turf in front of him he will run, but he doesn't make the small movements in the pocket to improve his throwing windows that we are used to seeing by Luck. It will be a shock to the system if we went from Luck to Fromm in that regard. 

58 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, the reviews about Fromm's smarts and leadership qualities are very good. I've heard multiple people rave about him on those counts. 

Fromm is playing in more of a pro-style offense, although... it's not particularly inventive one. Still he's in charge of changing formations and protections as well as audibles at the LOS, he runs some RPOs and play actions from under center too.

From what I've seen Herbert and Love play in more spread offenses and almost entirely from the shotgun. 

Fromm will probably be much more ready to step in day one and run an NFL offense. The thing I don't know about him is just how good he is at making the throws he needs to make. This will be the thing I will be trying to to answer for myself this coming season. 

edit: I will be checking on some film of Fromm from last year. I want to see if this thing about his pocket presence can be seen in other games or if I just caught a weird one to 'scout' him at. 

edit2: yeah, I don't think pocket presence is his best attribute. Saw 3 games tape... he rarely if ever steps into the pocket or to the sides to avoid rushers. If he sees green turf in front of him he will run, but he doesn't make the small movements in the pocket to improve his throwing windows that we are used to seeing by Luck. It will be a shock to the system if we went from Luck to Fromm in that regard. 

I'm really skeptical of spread QB's.  Seems like they rarely live up to their billing.  

If the Colts went with a QB we would want to get someone who was ready to go right away.  With a good QB in place we are in a window right here right now.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm really skeptical of spread QB's.  Seems like they rarely live up to their billing.  

If the Colts went with a QB we would want to get someone who was ready to go right away.  With a good QB in place we are in a window right here right now.  

I think lately that trend has been cracking a bit. Goff, Mahomes, Mayfield were all spread offense QBs and they are some of the best young QBs in the league now. I think nowadays NFL coaches are more open to incorporating spread offense principles in their offenses in order to make the transition of their QBs easier. There were stories about a bandwagon of NFL coaches headed to Lincoln Riley's office every summer trying to pick his brain about how to put in stuff from college spread into their own offenses. I don't think this is as much of a negative nowadays as it used to be. If you have good coaches and a player willing to learn, they will make it work. It might take a bit(Goff was bad year 1, Mahomes played just 1 game, the last one, in year 1, etc)  but that's why we have Jacoby signed to an extension I guess... 

On 8/31/2019 at 6:08 AM, Colt Overseas said:

He has a strong arm too. He actually plays alot of up tempo offense at Utah State which would definitely be a plus for Reich. I can see why the were murmurs that Ballard likes him. 

He was a bit erratic last night, but did flash too. Could be a decent bet for the Colts to take him in Round 1, probably without the need to use draft capital to trade up.

I'm starting to take a liking to Jordan Love, especially if they let him sit a year while Brissett starts again next season. Love certainly has immense talent and has quite the arm and enough athletic ability to maneuver the pocket. 

Would love getting Love in the early 2nd or so while getting an impact player round 1. 

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 12:27 PM, SP_21 said:

Jacoby Brissett is a great teammate and I am very thankful he is a Colt. This season should tell us what we can expect from him moving forward. I’m hopeful he will succeed and lead this team deep into the playoffs.

That being said, this draft class is very interesting. Tua and Fromm have shown they’re elite and will go early. But there are so many QBs with huge upside also available. Eason, Milton, and Bentley can all play but have their issues. 

Personally I’d be willing to give up quite a bit to get Tua. He’s incredibly talented and behind a good OL and with our QB friendly offense I think he would tear it up. 

Milton is someone I hope we draft regardless of Jacobys play. He’s a TD machine and a winner. If he can recover from his gruesome injury he could be a steal. (There’s no guarantee that he enters the draft or is health). IMO he’s a wildcard worth taking a shot on. 

What are your thoughts? 

Who knows that was a terrible injury for Milton its up in the air if he plays again.

I like Fromm... His ball-placement on some of those throws is impeccable. It's possible he's the best QB from this draft class. I kind of worry he we won't be bad enough to get him. He looks like a top 5 type of pick, rather than what I've seen people project him as(top 15 or thereabout).

It's really hard for me to separate him from the offense he's asked to run. IMO it's possible there is a TON of unexplored potential in him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Is Justin Fields eligible for the draft? Have no watched him yet this year, but he's putting up some nice stats to start the season. Might be worth taking a look at if he declares.  

I'm a little reserved on what I've seen so far. He's a split of Haskins and JT Barrett. He has the arm to make all of the throws, and is extremely mobile, but isn't as quick as Haskins at reading, reacting, and throwing. Also, they've only played FAU and Cincy. As a fan I want to see him against the B1G East before I make a judgment on how good he is. 

• Like 1

Watching Texas vs LSU now. Joe Burrow from LSU looks great. He looks like a high level pocket passer with pocket presence and accuracy and anticipation throwing. Damn. His receivers are pretty good too... This year's QB class might be really good both at the top and with some depth. Not sure about his arm-strength and athleticism, but he made some really good throws on the move, too. 

On 8/31/2019 at 7:37 AM, Kangaroo said:

Oh for goodness sake.  Andrew Luck retired because he was worn down by the horrible injuries (thanks for protecting the franchise QB, Grigson), and now people are condemning him for having a life outside of football

This is for another thread, but RG left in January 2017.  Luck retired August 2019. Over 2.5 years later.

In between, Luck screwed up his rehab under Ballard's watch (assuming he didn't lie about it in order to miss a full season and go on a European Vacation all the while earning,...uh, I mean...collecting.... millions), then was healthy for the 2018 season.

Maybe if Luck knew how to rehab more seriously, the looming "rehab cycle" for the "lower leg injury" he got sometime after Ballard used the 6th pick in the draft for a G,  wouldn't have been that significant of a hurdle.

Watching Jordan Love again... look at this throw:

https://*/saptd

You cannot place this one any better! And this is 50 yards downfield. This is the type of throws that excite me with Love. He has the armstrength and he has the accuracy downfield to pull off some spectacular big plays. The question is - can he do it consistently enough? 

Here's another one from earlier in the game, throwing across his body while on the moving to the left... he just flicks his wrist and throws a strike 35 yards downfield for the TD...:

https://*/temtt

• Like 3

On 9/7/2019 at 3:07 PM, stitches said:

Is Justin Fields eligible for the draft? Have no watched him yet this year, but he's putting up some nice stats to start the season. Might be worth taking a look at if he declares.  

Justin Fields is a true sophomore so he is not eligible for the draft until 2021.  Both Fields and Trevor Lawrence are from UGA and were the top 2 hs Qbs in the nation.  Espn actually had Fields ahead of Lawrence.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 10:46 AM, stitches said:

Watching Jordan Love again... look at this throw:

https://*/saptd

You cannot place this one any better! And this is 50 yards downfield. This is the type of throws that excite me with Love. He has the armstrength and he has the accuracy downfield to pull off some spectacular big plays. The question is - can he do it consistently enough? 

Here's another one from earlier in the game, throwing across his body while on the moving to the left... he just flicks his wrist and throws a strike 35 yards downfield for the TD...:

https://*/temtt

I have been watching Jordan Love as well and agree has some really impressive tools.

On 9/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, stitches said:

Watching Texas vs LSU now. Joe Burrow from LSU looks great. He looks like a high level pocket passer with pocket presence and accuracy and anticipation throwing. Damn. His receivers are pretty good too... This year's QB class might be really good both at the top and with some depth. Not sure about his arm-strength and athleticism, but he made some really good throws on the move, too. 

It is amazing what a change in offense can do.  I watched LSU several times last year and the entire offense including Burrow struggled against good comp.  He had like a 57% completion after transferring from Ohio St.

With that being said LSU has had an antiquated system for years.  He looks like a completely different QB this year.  One thing to keep in mind is that LSU has elite WR talent that are finally getting an opportunity to show their ability.

• Like 1

Justin Herbert is clearly the most talented QB in this draft. A blue chip prospect. Passes the eye test. He can make all the throws. He doesn’t have the elite talent around him like Tua and Fromm, but he’s still competing with the best. The other QBs in the draft need the perfect system. Justin Herbert is the system. He’s exactly what the Colts need. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Justin Herbert is clearly the most talented QB in this draft. A blue chip prospect. Passes the eye test. He can make all the throws. He doesn’t have the elite talent around him like Tua and Fromm, but he’s still competing with the best. The other QBs in the draft need the perfect system. Justin Herbert is the system. He’s exactly what the Colts need. 

Yeah.... Herbert LOOKS like everything you would want from a QB and he can make all the throws and playmake on the move and out of the pocket too. The question with him is can he be consistently accurate + there are some leadership questions it seems(not that he's a bad apple or something but rather that he's somewhat quiet and not very vocal). 

On 8/31/2019 at 6:08 AM, Colt Overseas said:

Yes. And the meme would be: "Why would you need Luck if you've got Love" or something like that! :funny:

• Like 1