• Day 1 Starter, solid season
    • Will start at some point in the first half of the season
    • Will start at some point in the second half of the season
    • Will be a quality back up and/or scheme/situational player
    • Gets playing time, but nothing special
    • Makes the 53, but struggles to dress or get playing time
    • Makes the practice squad
    • Cut/Waived
  2. 2. How do feel about his draft position (49th) now that you've had a chance to get to know Banogu

• Great value, can't believe he was available
    • He went about where he should have
    • He would have been available for a later pick
  3. 3. How many sacks will Ben have?

NFL.com's Profile

Draft Grade: 5.45 NFL BACKUP OR SPECIAL TEAMS POTENTIAL

Draft Projection: 4-5th Rounds

College: TCU

Position: DE/OLB

Height: 6-3

Weight: 250

40 Time: 4.62

BIO:

Banogu (pronounced BAN-uh-goo) flew under the recruiting radar a bit despite being a third-team All-State pick in McKinney, Texas. Louisiana-Monroe picked him up, and he wound up on the Sun Belt Conference All-Newcomer squad as a redshirt freshman in 2015 (13 starts, 45 tackles, 14.5 for loss, five sacks). Banogu transferred to TCU in 2016 and sat out the season under transfer rules. In 2017, he excelled with the Horned Frogs, earning first-team All-Big 12 honors and conference Defensive Newcomer of the Year with 49 tackles, 16.5 for loss, and 8.5 sacks. Banogu was a first-team all-conference selection as a senior, posting a team-high 18 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks among his 57 total stops in 13 starts.

Overview:

Edge player with good athleticism, who could struggle to translate to the next level unless he diversifies his approach as a rusher. His quickness created opportunities with inside moves and twists in college, but NFL tackles will shut and lock that interior door on him until he proves he can threaten them around the corner. Banogu could challenge for a nickel rush position in the future, but he still needs work.

Strengths:

Potent as slanter with ability to cross-face tackles and penetrate the gap

Has foot quickness and agility to alter rush challenges from edge to edge

Inside-out move forces tackle to squeeze down, opening tighter outside track

Good awareness of pocket depth

Has ability to push tackle up the pocket and spin back underneath for pocket access

Has agility and quickness to track and corral scramblers

Quick to drop and shuffle behind his tackles to tackle runners hitting A-gaps

Capable to punch and play off tight end blocks

Weaknesses:

Predictable pass rusher with affinity for inside moves

Has upfield burst but doesn't use it enough to burn the edge

Needs to improve hands and implement them into his rush plan

Can be controlled by strength in pass rush and run game

Stiff punch from long-armed tackle ends his snap

Missing base power to set the edge or play through redirect blocks

Too many missed tackles due to poor positioning and balance.

I think Banogu's season could go a couple different ways. If they focus him on DE rush technique, he could make a big impact. If they shuffle him back and forth from SAM to DE, then I think he takes longer to develop.

Given we use SAM so little (at least last year), I just don't see a huge benefit splitting his time. Given he got almost zero rush technique coaching at TCU, I'd love to see him put his focus 100% there.

Unfortunately I think he'll split time.

I think he'll start by the 2nd half of the season. Interestingly enough, I can see him playing DE and OLB as a situational player, and on 3rd downs, which will give him a lot of playing despite being a backup. He'll get lots of tackles for losses IMO, and 4-6 sacks (I'll say 5) in his rookie year. I like Banogu for us this year in year 1.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

He reminds me of Justin Houston. I expect for Banogu to learn how Houston does it and over the next 2 seasons he will grow, get more playing time and by year 3 when Houston's contract is up he will be a double-digit sack Player

I think that's very fair putting him on a two year development track given TCU's scheme and lack of technique coaching. 

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think he'll start by the 2nd half of the season. Interestingly enough, I can see him playing DE and OLB as a situational player, and on 3rd downs, which will give him a lot of playing despite being a backup. He'll get lots of tackles for losses IMO, and 4-6 sacks (I'll say 5) in his rookie year. I like Banogu for us this year in year 1.

If he picks up rush technique quickly, I wouldn't be shocked to see him starting late in the season. A little surprised though. I think his biggest need is technique, but I also think he needs to improve his strength to be an every down player.

My bet is that we'll see him on late and obvious passing downs at minimum. My gut says the SAM experiment is aborted (perhaps one of the other rooks spending time there) by mid season. I think a 30-40% of defensive snap counts would be an incredibly successful year for him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

He reminds me of Justin Houston. I expect for Banogu to learn how Houston does it and over the next 2 seasons he will grow, get more playing time and by year 3 when Houston's contract is up he will be a double-digit sack Player

Houston didn't make a huge impact early in his career either he took a year or two to develop too.

• Like 1