Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I have a feeling that Marquise "Hollywood" Brown was our target in the first round

BlueShoe

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

this is simple.

is a 2nd round pick early, and substantial draft capital? the answer is yes on both counts.

and you have zero clue what the plan was. there were a ton of WRs left at 34 and 46, so why wouldn't you prioritize others if you feel they might not be there. WR as noted was going to be very deep in the 2nd and 3rd.

and yes, only two were picked. one was picked by the smartest GM/Coach ever... what does that say about WRs in the 1st?

are you still upset about WR study lacking comparative data, definition, or accounting for standard/simple things like injury?   

Irish.  I like you.  I really do.  Love the interaction. And think you are one of the best posters on THIS board   But I think think the trade back (which was brilliant) afforded the opportunity to draft a WR in the second.   Just my opinion of course.  

But Ballard was able to get IMO the best WR in the draft FOR THE COLTS 

in no no way shape or form do I agree that he was looking at any other WR in this draft earlier 

I actually think had the run on WR not gone so quick he would have waited.  

He got his guy.    And as you know I was not high on a WR pick.   I can see the value and and am actually excited about the pick.   PC will seriously # up some defenses 

3 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Irish.  I like you.  I really do.  Love the interaction. And think you are one of the best posters on THIS board   But I think think the trade back (which was brilliant) afforded the opportunity to draft a WR in the second.   Just my opinion of course.  

But Ballard was able to get IMO the best WR in the draft FOR THE COLTS 

in no no way shape or form do I agree that he was looking at any other WR in this draft earlier 

I actually think had the run on WR not gone so quick he would have waited.  

He got his guy.    And as you know I was not high on a WR pick.   I can see the value and and am actually excited about the pick.   PC will seriously # up some defenses 

you're making as many assumptions as anyone else (me included). we don't know if the trade back was the hope all along, or a product of someone not being available. none of us know the original plan, or how close or far off we ended up from that original plan. 

most of the talking heads and mocks predicted the run on WR in the second, so i doubt it surprised Ballard and made him pull the trigger earlier than planned.

on PC. I like him, but i think you're a bit biased :-), and that's OK. just because he was our pick, doesn't mean he was at the top of our WR board. i do think he'll be very good if used correctly, and i'm very optimistic. i'm just happy to have a speed guy that might be able to stretch. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

you're making as many assumptions as anyone else (me included). we don't know if the trade back was the hope all along, or a product of someone not being available. none of us know the original plan, or how close or far off we ended up from that original plan. 

most of the talking heads and mocks predicted the run on WR in the second, so i doubt it surprised Ballard and made him pull the trigger earlier than planned.

on PC. I like him, but i think you're a bit biased :-), and that's OK. just because he was our pick, doesn't mean he was at the top of our WR board. i do think he'll be very good if used correctly, and i'm very optimistic. i'm just happy to have a speed guy that might be able to stretch. 

In the presser Ballard was asked if Rock was in the cluster of 8.   He said " we really liked him".  Not confirming or denying.     I think Simmons was the target.

with that said .   I hear Frank talk about PC and he glows.    Maybe just coach speak, but if any WR were to be taken that early then IMO they got the guy they targeted.

While I do believe Ballard drafts BPA    I think this was BPA when we picked   I would have liked a safety at the pick.   But I didn't pay much attention to WR in the early rounds so I dismissed the notion of taking one..    My bad for mixing BPA with need

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I just listened to Jim Irsay’s press conference and he referenced the Clay Matthews deal that he has talked about in the past. 

I think the same thing happened in this draft, and that Hollywood was the target. The Ravens jumped right in front of us and took him. Makes sense too, because Ballard drafted a very similar talent in Tyreek Hill. 

In the end, I think it worked out. While Parris will need more experience running the full route tree, I like his upside. Like Irsay said, time will tell. 

You might be right, but he could be talking about Byron Murphy too.

12 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Too late to edit the post above. Here is a link to the video. 

https://www.colts.com/video/colts-owner-jim-irsay-discusses-the-2019-draft

Funny thing is that I definitely got the vibe from Irsay that the trade down was a plan B because we didn’t get our Plan A from first round. Funny because Ballard didn’t show his hand like that at all during his presser. Especially since Ballard said he already Monday got the vibe that they might end trading out of first round, so maybe Ballard was more cool about missing Plan A than Irsay. haha Just a gut feeling from watching those two.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Funny thing is that I definitely got the vibe from Irsay that the trade down was a plan B because we didn’t get our Plan A from first round. Funny because Ballard didn’t show his hand like that at all during his presser. Especially since Ballard said he already Monday got the vibe that they might end trading out of first round, so maybe Ballard was more cool about missing Plan A than Irsay. haha Just a gut feeling from watching those two.

Yeah. In this situation, we see the passion in Irsay and the savvy in Ballard. 

Historically, Irsay falls in love with prospects, which is why he wasn’t an effective general manager. He would give away too much for his guy. Fredd Young, Eric Dickerson, Jeff George, and so on... 

Irsay knows that about himself too, which is why he decided to hire general managers instead of going the Jerry Jones route. 

• Like 2

I think we might have been targeting Savage after hearing why they loved Willis.  They wanted a box safety that can cover the slot and TE's and I think Savage would have excelled in that role.  No one would have predicted him to go that early at 26, and for sure not at 20 where GB jumped up to get him, so we might have been caught off guard on that one.

If I remember right, someone drafted Khalen Saunders right in front of us too.  We are never going to know for sure who we lost out on, but we do know our front office recovered nicely!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

I think we might have been targeting Savage after hearing why they loved Willis.  They wanted a box safety that can cover the slot and TE's and I think Savage would have excelled in that role.  No one would have predicted him to go that early at 26, and for sure not at 20 where GB jumped up to get him, so we might have been caught off guard on that one.

If I remember right, someone drafted Khalen Saunders right in front of us too.  We are never going to know for sure who we lost out on, but we do know our front office recovered nicely!

Very good point about Savage and badly wanting a box safety that can cover. Ballard talked about drafting Willis in the third, so I think we had a massive need going on here. That’s why they traded up to get Willis fast in fourth round. They might have been stressed out a bit there! haha

• Like 1

I dont believe it was Brown because we were looking for a slot guy from some of the FA reports i read. Savage makes some sense especially since we spent literally the entire draft on Defense. Could have gotten M. Sweat but our doctors thumbs downed him on the medicals.

1 hour ago, Bluesmith said:

Yeah, and 2 picks prior to us, both Daylon Mack and Charles Omenihu went back-to-back. That was probably our last impactful DT chance in the draft in Round 5.