Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF's Top 5 Graded Colts 2018 - Offense

DaveA1102

On 1/23/2019 at 3:49 AM, superrep1967 said:

Ebron drops the ball too much is why which is very frustrating for me as a fan. 

I agree. . . Ebron has been a solid addition to the team but he's been over rated because of his big TD numbers.  He drops the ball a lot like you said and when Jack Doyle is healthy Ebron is mainly used in the red zone.  Ebron is great in the redzone but he is average at best anywhere else on the field.  

On 1/23/2019 at 5:16 AM, SteelCityColt said:

I will say I’m surprised Pascal didn’t grade better if only for his blocking.

His blocking grade was really good if I recall, but his receiving grade wasn't.

The issue with PFF's overall grades is that you don't get the details of how that number came to be. If you listen to their podcasts, you get a good feel for the in depth grading, why some things weigh heavier than others, and what stats are actually reliable. A simple number doesn't do any justice for the complex statistics behind it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think you are overlooking something when it comes to PFF grades.  They are just grading the player based on what they are asked to do.  

Regardless if it's PFF, scouts, coaches, etc. that's  how every player is evaluated. How would you evaluate what they aren't asked to do? 

So this is something that comes into play with Mack vs. Hines.  Hines is asked to go out and catch footballs and that is it.  Mack is asked to run the ball and go out and catch footballs.  

The only problem with that statement, is Hines also runs the ball. 

Hines had a slighly higher grade than Mack at the one thing he's asked to do while Mack is asked to do many things.  In other words this season Hines was slightly better at his one trick than Mack was at EVERYTHING.   The PFF score doesn't take versitility into account.   

That's something you have to keep in mind.  A higher PFF grade doesn't mean a better player, it means that they did better at what they are asked to do over what another player was asked to do.  In order to evaluate all of this you have to also know what Mack was asked to do vs. what Hines was asked to do.  And if you know that Mack was asked to do everything while Hines was asked to do only one thing you will realize that Mack is indeed the better player because he did everything almost as good as the guy who was asked to do one thing and one thing only.   

8jG5GVq.gif

On 1/22/2019 at 1:22 PM, lollygagger8 said:

I get it.

If anyone wants real actual facts/stats instead of grades on each player we can all google them. 

I'm just saying I feel like most of us on here share the same "opinion" of the players (and those in particular that we've been mentioning) on here, while PFF's "grades" say the exact opposite.

And if nobody agrees with my opinion, that's cool too. 

I agree 100%. Their grades don’t reflect overall impact and performance. I used to like PFF but since they changed their formula they often release laughable grades

I couldn't read all the posts, sorry, but here are my thoughts after seeing the entire list: 

It is unfair in principle to comparison rate multiple positions, and even more unfair to rate positions like LT/RT or #1CB/#2CB/Nickle (or worse, those that play in all 3 positions against those playing say #2 all year) and so on.  Also just as problematic is WHO you play against week to week, especially in cases like Kelly/Boehm where they played not only different teams, but different circumstances/times of the season so you get unexpected ratings like Kelly on bottom.  (For the record, I thought Boehm was solid for the most part compared to any/all of the centers prior to Kelly in the Luck years so perhaps we should really appreciate what he did as a backup more than many do but I digress).   I don't mind PFF as a source for bored fans and message board discussions, but unless the SAME person rates EVERY player on every play all season the comparisons are invalid as no two assessments will ever mesh close enough to truly be fair.  And since schemes/assignments are not ALWAYS obvious, even to a trained eye (perhaps coaches called for a responsibility different than the assessor assumes or they miss the assignment of the play for a player altogether). 

So, PFF is fine for entertainment purposes, but not for wagering. (as the fortune teller's code demands).  It's a conversation starter, but certainly not a convincing end all.