Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver-Minnesota (8-11-18)

oldunclemark

The Vikings looked great....

..I know the Eagles won last year.......Packers are better.......Rams bought up everybody in sight.

But Minnesota with Kirk C.....

..they just rolled behind all their QBs....and defensively, they were already No,.1 in the NFC.

Kirk looked very good..and the Vikings were without some O-linemen

They've got a new kicker, too...they say he makes 70 yarders in practice...seriously

Denver didnt play some defenders including Von Miller but I guess they wanted to see if Paxton Lynch had improved...

..and he wasnt just bad...he got stomped

Does any body think Chad Kelly plays a lot like Baker Mayfield

27 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Does any body think Chad Kelly plays a lot like Baker Mayfield

He sure did. I wanted the Vikes to draft him last year. One of the guys on the Daily Norseman is an Old Miss fan and he swore by Chad Kelly. He is competitive and does not give up on plays. He plays like Mayfield-- with that competitive nature.

I think Chad may replace Case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Did Br. Griese call out Vance Joseph?

Maybe. The Broncos keep insisting that Paxton Lynch get chance after chance to prove himself at QB when that ship has sailed..

Pax played half the game and I was feeling sorry for him. He was so inept

….the way Chad Kelly played against the Vikings....Lynch has never had a game like that in 2-plus years.

..and Trevor Siemian and Kyle Sloter...2 guys Denver gave up to keep Lynch....looked pretty good back-up style for the Vikings

Edited by oldunclemark

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

He sure did. I wanted the Vikes to draft him last year. One of the guys on the Daily Norseman is an Old Miss fan and he swore by Chad Kelly. He is competitive and does not give up on plays. He plays like Mayfield-- with that competitive nature.

I think Chad may replace Case. 

The Vikings' 1st string rush put some quick heat on Case Saturday night and I thought he made a couple of bad decisions on where to throw the ball. 

But Kelly clearly has that attack style mentality and he wasn't playing with any of the top receivers.  He's got to be the No. 2 guy.

I try not to put too much stock in college results but I keep remembering the 'trivia' that Kelly led the Rebels into Alabama and won.

I think the ship for Lynch in /Denver is leaving port.  But, Lynch will eventually get another shot, elsewhere at some point. There is a saying (possibly originating from Al Davis), never overlook giving somebody’s  former 1st round pick another chance. Somebody saw something ‘special’ in the guy.

Let’s see where teams are after the first half of pre-season game number 3.  That is going to be a much better gauge than after pre season game 1.

15 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Vikings have a hard core schedule..

..at Green Bay, at L.A. Rams...at Philadelphia  at New England..

But they had the No.1 defense in the NFL last year.. still don't know what happened against the Eagles

Perfect storm of Doug Pederson's play calling for Foles' strengths, less film on Foles' tendencies with the new schemes and OL of Eagles gelling real well took everyone by surprise. Much like when Jim Caldwell was made OC and the Ravens shuffled their OL big time and suddenly that wall gave Flacco all sorts of time for their SB run.

That is why coaching shines the most in a one game playoff elimination system, whether it is the NCAA March Madness or NFL or any level that has such a system. Their ability to make remarkable adjustments to give their teams an advantage or nullify another great coach's strengths can be the small difference in games between elite teams that are mostly of similar talent. It matters more the further you go into the playoffs, especially conference championships and SB stages.

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

Perfect storm of Doug Pederson's play calling for Foles' strengths, less film on Foles' tendencies with the new schemes and OL of Eagles gelling real well took everyone by surprise. Much like when Jim Caldwell was made OC and the Ravens shuffled their OL big time and suddenly that wall gave Flacco all sorts of time for their SB run.

That is why coaching shines the most in a one game playoff elimination system, whether it is the NCAA March Madness or NFL or any level that has such a system. Their ability to make remarkable adjustments to give their teams an advantage or nullify another great coach's strengths can be the small difference in games between elite teams that are mostly of similar talent. It matters more the further you go into the playoffs, especially conference championships and SB stages.

with respect...

I dont think it was brilliant play calling or a lack of knowledge of Nick Foles on Minnesota that created a 38-7 margin.

That's far to much of a gap for coaches or game prep to have much to do with it..

Foles had played the previous 2 games for the Eagles..

….the No.1 defense in the NFL (in several years) against an average offense (with Foles) at best.

If they played again tomorrow  I'd still tell you the Vikings would win

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

with respect...

I dont think it was brilliant play calling or a lack of knowledge of Nick Foles on Minnesota that created a 38-7 margin.

That's far to much of a gap for coaches or game prep to have much to do with it..

Foles had played the previous 2 games for the Eagles..

….the No.1 defense in the NFL (in several years) against an average offense (with Foles) at best.

If they played again tomorrow  I'd still tell you the Vikings would win

There is a case of taking Foles for granted after the Falcons kept the Eagles to a low scoring game the previous playoff game, I will give you that it could have been a case of a letdown with the Minnesota D, they thought they'd roll probably.

However, something changed and the receivers kept getting open, the zones were more flooded, very much like what we saw in the SB. It was like Foles was more confident, the OL more confident, they controlled tempo and everything from that point onwards (NFCCG onwards) on offense. That is why I felt coaching was a big part in the efficiency of the offense improving with Foles at the helm. However, the margin getting lop sided probably was the D having a letdown and not taking the Eagles offense seriously at that point. Most of us fans did not till that point.