Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yet another, third, pro football league - Pacific Pro

ColtsBlueFL

Don Yee, the agent for tom Brady among other NFL players, has started yet another professional football league.  The Pacific Pro League, and his competition? The SEC!!  (college football).  Kids can forego (some or all) college and sign up up in this developmental league... and get paid as well !!! 

Note: This is an invite only league, applicants must sign up and they will be vetted, maybe even in tryout form.

https://arch-usa.com/why-the-pac-pro-football-league-is-more-important-than-ever/

There will soon no shortage of football leagues for kids (and even declining vets) these days.  The $64,000 question is, how viable long term will the AAF, XFL, and Pac Pro will be?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 10:32 AM, PrincetonTiger said:

This will not work

Maybe, maybe not.

Don Yee believes his Pac Pro League appears to be a solution that answers the problem of the NCAA’s corrupt policies.  Taken form their website:

'Big time college sports is prime for disruption. Think about it like this, Uber and Lyft work because taxi companies failed to innovate. The NCAA is prime for disruption because while it works for sports like Volleyball and Lacrosse, the NCAA fails incredibly at accounting for the exorbitant profits being shared by everyone except the athletes in college basketball and football.

If Pac Pro produces a quality product next year, the NCAA could see it’s best incoming recruits for colleges in the SEC choose to be paid 50,000 for the season playing a game that reduces the likelihood of injury through the rules they will implement. The NFL will see the rule implementation and monitor the success of the league and draft the players who already have some brand equity into their draft and implement the rules into their game. Pac Pro will function as a destination and option for kids who need to help their families immediately. The 1-3 years a player participates they will also have access to college enrollment and workshops to improve financial literacy.'

They are targeting player not eligible for NFL, AAF, or XFL at the expense of playing non NFL schemes for colleges without compensation. It is an interesting idea.

Chris Burns adds - "Don Yee’s Pac Pro is more important than ever and I personally think it’s time for an adjustment to be made. The pro game will be better off in the long run and athletes who deserve to earn will be able to assist their families. It’s a win-win for kids, and a lose lose for an entity (NCAA) that needs to be given a mafia styled send off as it relates to NCAA Football and Basketball."

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe, maybe not.

Don Yee believes his Pac Pro League appears to be a solution that answers the problem of the NCAA’s corrupt policies.  Taken form their website:

'Big time college sports is prime for disruption. Think about it like this, Uber and Lyft work because taxi companies failed to innovate. The NCAA is prime for disruption because while it works for sports like Volleyball and Lacrosse, the NCAA fails incredibly at accounting for the exorbitant profits being shared by everyone except the athletes in college basketball and football.

If Pac Pro produces a quality product next year the NCAA could see it’s best incoming recruits for colleges in the SEC choose to be paid 50,000 for the season playing a game that reduces the likelihood of injury through the rules they will implement. The NFL will see the rule implementation and monitor the success of the league and draft the players who already have some brand equity into their draft and implement the rules into their game. Pac Pro will function as a destination and option for kids who need to help their families immediately. The 1-3 years a player participates they will also have access to college enrollment and workshops to improve financial literacy.'

They are targeting player not eligible for NFL, AAF, or XFL at the expense of playing non NFL schemes for colleges without compensation. It is an interesting idea.

Chris Burns adds - "Don Yee’s Pac Pro is more important than ever and I personally think it’s time for an adjustment to be made. The pro game will be better off in the long run and athletes who deserve to earn will be able to assist their families. It’s a win-win for kids, and a lose lose for an entity (NCAA) that needs to be given a mafia styled send off as it relates to NCAA Football and Basketball."

If money was the be all end all for kids why are not more stars in basketball world skipping school to go to Europe 

19 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If money was the be all end all for kids why are not more stars in basketball world skipping school to go to Europe   

Maybe because they got paid anyway and also got to stay in the U.S.? And they only have to play 1 year? (one and done rule, which might be rescinded by 2020)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-college-basketball-ncaa-hypocrisy-haugh-20180226-story.html

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22555512/explaining-ncaa-college-basketball-scandal-players-coaches-agents

With the apparent introduction of THREE new leagues in the US, it is apparent that many feel the ratings drop for the NFL is going to leave substantial market share available for those willing to take a chance.  This is the beauty of a "free market".  Just like your TV/Cable provider(s), you will be able to "consume" the one(s) you like best.

In the end, only the strong (leagues) will survive.

I don't think any of these leagues will put the NFL out of business...but they will all compete to pick up lost market share (from the NFL) and they will all be looking to steal market share from any/all competitors.  If one of these leagues is able to garner 10% of the market, that is/will be VERY significant and will fuel a good business model for that particular league's future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That argument can be made about all levels of basketball

Pro Leagues in Europe start at HS(the main reason Enes Kanter was ruled ineligible)

6 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

With the apparent introduction of THREE new leagues in the US, it is apparent that many feel the ratings drop for the NFL is going to leave substantial market share available for those willing to take a chance.  This is the beauty of a "free market".  Just like your TV/Cable provider(s), you will be able to "consume" the one(s) you like best.

In the end, only the strong (leagues) will survive.

I don't think any of these leagues will put the NFL out of business...but they will all compete to pick up lost market share (from the NFL) and they will all be looking to steal market share from any/all competitors.  If one of these leagues is able to garner 10% of the market, that is/will be VERY significant and will fuel a good business model for that particular league's future.

At least to me 

the AAF is more akin to AA/PCL et. al(MLB), The G league(NBA) and AHL et. al(NHL)

I prayed to God for more football. Now, I pray for less!

You know they're probably going to have their own sets of rules in every league, especially regarding special teams. My head hurts just thinking about it.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:42 AM, King Colt said:

Nothing guarantees failure more than saturating the market.

Survival of the fittest.  Those that are innovative will last. The NFL will take cues from their successes (and failures).

Pac Pro- pro league for players that are not eligible to be drafted or play in the NFL.  Target recruits, very high level high school kids where some may be under financial and/or academic duress. Bypass college, play for money straight away, get to enroll in community college. Develop NFL caliber skill set and become draft ready.

AAF is the self proclaimed developmental league for aspiring NFL players that need a bit more 'coaching' and reps to achieve NFL level ability. They will make rules simpler, and try to cater more to fan participation. Their claim is real football with real football people, at every position in the league.

Charlie Ebersol uncovered this fact-   78-80 million less people watch sports for 6 months starting the weekend after the Super Bowl, and a minimum of 20 million stop playing all fantasy sports after the SB for 6 months.

What other business is void for 6 months?  Why did prior leagues fail?  This is what Ebersol/Polian want to address.  There is a 6 month void, and someone wants to fill it. It may seem like saturation until the cream rises to the top.

I'm still unclear on XFL, but takeaways I've gotten - faster pace, simpler rules, high character players only (no criminal records allowed), will not cater to politics or social issues. The XFL will start as an eight-team league with a 10-game regular season and four playoff teams beginning in January 2020.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 9:55 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Survival of the fittest.  Those that are innovative will last. The NFL will take cues from their successes (and failures).

Pac Pro- pro league for players that are not eligible to be drafted or play in the NFL.  Target recruits, very high level high school kids that are under financial and/or academic duress. Bypass college, play for money straight away, get to enroll in community college. Develop NFL caliber skill set and become draft ready.

AAF is the self proclaimed developmental league for aspiring NFL players that need a bit more 'coaching' and reps to achieve NFL level ability. They will make rules simpler, and try to cater more to fan participation. Their claim is real football with real football people, at every position in the league.

Charlie Ebersol uncovered this fact-   78-80 million less people watch sports for 6 months starting the weekend after the Super Bowl, and a minimum of 20 million stop playing all fantasy sports after the SB for 6 months.

What other business is void for 6 months?  Why did prior leagues fail?  This is what Ebersol/Polian want to address.  There is a 6 month void, and someone wants to fill it. It may seem like saturation until the cream rises to the top.

I'm still unclear on XFL, but takeaways I've gotten - faster pace, simpler rules, high character players only (no criminal records allowed), will not cater to politics or social issues. The XFL will start as an eight-team league with a 10-game regular season and four playoff teams beginning in January 2020.

Is there an Indy or Green Bay-esque team in any of these three new leagues?

On 6/7/2018 at 10:57 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe, maybe not.

If Pac Pro produces a quality product next year, the NCAA could see it’s best incoming recruits for colleges in the SEC choose to be paid 50,000 for the season playing a game that reduces the likelihood of injury through the rules they will implement. The NFL will see the rule implementation and monitor the success of the league and draft the players who already have some brand equity into their draft and implement the rules into their game. Pac Pro will function as a destination and option for kids who need to help their families immediately. The 1-3 years a player participates they will also have access to college enrollment and workshops to improve financial literacy.'

It's a good idea to attract talent, but at the same time the big problem is going to be attracting people to come watch these teams play.

It's easy to create school loyalties.  That's one of the things that makes college sports so successful.  

Pro loyalties however are harder to create.  The best thing about the pro's is the "best in the world" kind of deal, but that isn't true of minor league teams.

You still have to attract an audience.  

Once of the reasons that developmental/minor leagues for football have failed thus far is that football is a very expensive sport.  Especially in comparison to baseball or basketball.  Anyone hoping to do it and make a profit has to attract a pretty significant crowd size.  

There is also a big problem with saturation.  If the minor league football team wants to play in the fall. . . when are they going to play?  NFL plays Monday, Thursday, and Sunday.  High school generally plays on Friday.  College plays on Saturday.  

That leaves Tuesday and Wednesday as the only days without a great deal of competition for the attention of football fans.  Those are not very good days to try and get people to come watch a game that is 3 to 4 hours long.

A spring league would be more viable but there is also competition from other sports.  Baseball and basketball. 

Granted the idea of having a minor league where high school stars who don't necessarily want a college education or who don't have the grades for a college education can play is a pretty good idea to attract some talent.  But you still need to get interest from the fans and it's going to be hard to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's a good idea to attract talent, but at the same time the big problem is going to be attracting people to come watch these teams play.

{

Maybe...

You still have to attract an audience.  

Once of the reasons that developmental/minor leagues for football have failed thus far is that football is a very expensive sport.  Especially in comparison to baseball or basketball.  Anyone hoping to do it and make a profit has to attract a pretty significant crowd size.  

It appears its just 4 teams playing each other twice, the a championship game.

There is also a big problem with saturation.  If the minor league football team wants to play in the fall. . . when are they going to play?  NFL plays Monday, Thursday, and Sunday.  High school generally plays on Friday.  College plays on Saturday.  

{snip}

Granted the idea of having a minor league where high school stars who don't necessarily want a college education or who don't have the grades for a college education can play is a pretty good idea to attract some talent.  But you still need to get interest from the fans and it's going to be hard to do.

It looks like they have Adidas money/backing and will play late June to early August (the NFL dead zone). It's a full developmental league for players and referees.  Former NFL ref VP Mike Perreira is on the executive board, and will follow NFL rules closely.

Regular Season & Playoffs.  Pacific Pro’s inaugural season will consist of 4 teams representing up to 4 different Southern California counties.  Season I is projected to begin in July 2019.  Each team is projected to have 50 player rosters.  Each team will play the other twice, and based on their W-L record, will be re-seeded for a playoff round, which will include Pacific Pro’s championship game.

Player Roster Formation/Compilation: Pacific Pro will not utilize a draft; instead, all players will be employees of the league. Once Pacific Pro has signed its inaugural group of players, its player personnel staff and coaches will allocate players to each team on the basis of competitive balance, with some consideration given to other variables that might appear such as hometown affiliation.

I think former player/HOF Ed McAffery (Christian's dad) is heavily involved as well.

We'll see how this goes.  AAF is also positioning to be a NFL development league, but with even safer rules then the NFL.  We'll have to see how these 2 go.  XFL isn't getting off the ground until a year after these launch.

I'd love to see some league bring back Spring football. The old USFL actually produced some pretty good, entertaining football, and filled the empty Spring void. They picked off some top talent like Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Reggie White, and Herschel Walker before they folded. It looked for a while like they had a chance of making it until they tried to move to a Fall schedule, up against the NFL. Even some of the old AFL teams struggled at first. The AFL Oakland Raiders only drew 50,000 fans during their entire second year of operation, playing in Candlestick Park, then moved to an 18,000 seat small college stadium for the next few years. 

• Like 1