Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reality's Post FA Mock:

Hey guys! This will likely be my second last mock. I'm gonna be running under the assumption that the first picks go Darnold/Chubb/Rosen/Barkley/Nelson. With Allen still on the board the Bills call us and offer 12, 22, 2nd for 6, our 6th our 7th. 

With that being said I'll mention a couple FA's that I think we'd still able to bring in. 

- Phillip Gaines CB 

- Cameron Meredith WR 

- Korey Toomer LB 

- Shariff Floyd DT 

These guys are all young, and 2 of them are coming off injury. They are low risk high reward. I'd like to see us use some of our remaining cap on them. All should be relatively cheap. 

Round 1: 

12 - Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA

22 - Isiah Wynn, OG/OT, Georgia 

Adding Davenport will help bring speed to our young DL. He's athletic with great burst. He may not be Chubb, but with Chubb off the board I would be open to a move down to pick up more picks and Davenport. He can slide right in and start at DE across from Sheard. 

Wynn is a very solid lineman. He played OT at Georgia but projects inside at OG. Even if he doesn't may much in his first year he'll be a starter for the next 10. He can fill in at OT in a pinch. Your fooling yourself if you think that Slaushon is the future at OG. Wynn can start or sit, either way he can be a future starter for the next 10 years on our OL. 

Round 2: 

36 - Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa 

37 - James Daniels, OG/C, Iowa

Jackson was once considered the top CB in the draft, but after a poor combine showing and disappointing interviews, his stock seems to be late 1st early 2nd. Jackson is a ballhawk. He had 8 ints last season. He's got long arms and plays the ball very well. Can be a CB1/2 pair with Wilson from day 1. 

Daniels projects as a C, but has a lot of position fluidity. He can easily be converted to OG. This may be a surprise pick to some but Daniels is one of my favorite players in the draft. He's a very fluid and mobile blocker. The Colts have been deprived of a good OL for long enough, it's time to invest the picks in protecting Luck. Also, having a stronger OL will instantly improve our running game. 

49 - Ron Jones II, RB, USC 

53 - Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas 

Jones is one of my favorite RB prospects. Ideally, this would be Derrius Guice or Sony Michel but I don't think either will be available. He's a capable back catcher whose great in space. He's similar to Mack, but I still think they'd make a very good pairing. 

Jefferson is one of the most athletic LB's in the draft. He was once considered a top prospect but underperformed at Texas. He's got all the tools to be an elite LB but needs to work on his instincts. Has the potential to be a star. 

Round 3: 

67 - Jerome Baker, LB, OSU 

Baker is another athletic LB who needs to work on his instincts. He's got the range and speed to be a great fit in our new 4-3 D. Tons of potential and natural scheme fit. 

Round 4:

4 - Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa

Jewell is less athletic, but way more instinctive than the other LBs taken. He's at a disadvantage athletically in most matchups, but he's a hell of a football player. He reminds me of a Sean Lee type. Would be a steal in the 4th. 

Rounds 5-7:

5 - Derrick Nnadi, DT, FSU 

6 - Korey Robertson, WR, Southern Mississippi 

Nnadi is a big bodied DT that can slide right into the rotation on the DL.  

Robertson is a physical WR who attacks the ball and can play well both inside at the slot and out wide. 

Overall, this draft aimed to do 2 things. 

1. Make the Defense YOUNGER, FASTER and HUNGRIER. It accomplished this by picking up stud rusher Marcus Davenport in the 1st while moving down and accumulating more picks. Davenport should be able to be a double digit sack guy. We then took the ball hawking CB Joshua Jackson in the second, then 3 (!!!) LBs in rounds 2-4. Baker and Jefferson are of rare athletic build, while Jewell is a hell of a football player. 

2. (Finally) Rebuild the OL properly through the draft. This was accomplished by investing our extra picks on young, fluid, physical, athletic interior linemen in Wynn and Daniels. Now both of our future guards, and center all can play at least 3 positions on the OL. Very, very versatile. 

Rough Look at the Lineup: 

OL - Costonzo - Daniels - Kelly - Wynn - Haeg

WR - Hilton - Meredith - Grant - Robertson - Rogers 

TE - Ebron - Doyle - Swoope 

QB/RB - Luck/Brissett - Jones/Mack/Michael 

DL - Davenport - Floyd - Woods - Sheard 

LB - Baker/Toomer - Jewell - Jefferson 

CB - Jackson - Wilson - Desir/Hairston - White/Gaines 

S - Hooker - Gaethers/Farley  

Not gunna lie , I almost couldn’t make it past Shariff Floyd.

I would be so down with giving him a cheap 1 year deal.

Davenport certainly splits opinion. Would you be taking him with the assumption that  Smith,Edmunds, Ward and James are all off the board?

23 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Not gunna lie , I almost couldn’t make it past Shariff Floyd.

I would be so down with giving him a cheap 1 year deal.

Davenport certainly splits opinion. Would you be taking him with the assumption that  Smith,Edmunds, Ward and James are all off the board?

Ya. I have the first 11 going something like this.. 

CLE - Darnold

NYG - Chubb

NYJ - Rosen 

DEN - Nelson

BUF - Allen 

TB - James 

CHI - Ward 

SF - Fitzpatrick 

OAK - Edmunds 

MIA - Smith/Mayfield

Smith may be on the board, but I feel as if you can get quality LBs in rounds 2-4, but the same isn't exactly true about pass rushers. It would be a tough decision though, really a flip of a coin - either way It still holds true to it's main objectives. 

I just can't get on board with taking a player like Davenport in the 1st. He has great athletic traits, but he hardly dominated against a low level of competition and didn't wow at all at the Senior Bowl. I think he's a few years away from starting. He has amazing upside, but as I've said before, his floor is in the basement. People got * at us drafting TJ Green in the 2nd and at least he showed some flashes of talent against top level competition. I honestly wouldn't take Davenport before the 3rd round..

I would take Landry any day over Davenport in this scenario or if available, Roquan Smith.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Ya. I have the first 11 going something like this.. 

CLE - Darnold

NYG - Chubb

NYJ - Rosen 

DEN - Nelson

BUF - Allen 

TB - James 

CHI - Ward 

SF - Fitzpatrick 

OAK - Edmunds 

MIA - Smith/Mayfield

Smith may be on the board, but I feel as if you can get quality LBs in rounds 2-4, but the same isn't exactly true about pass rushers. It would be a tough decision though, really a flip of a coin - either way It still holds true to it's main objectives. 

That is only 10.  What happened to Cleveland's 4th overall pick?

On 3/27/2018 at 2:37 PM, RealityIsLuck said:

Hey guys! This will likely be my second last mock. I'm gonna be running under the assumption that the first picks go Darnold/Chubb/Rosen/Barkley/Nelson. With Allen still on the board the Bills call us and offer 12, 22, 2nd for 6, our 6th our 7th. 

With that being said I'll mention a couple FA's that I think we'd still able to bring in. 

- Phillip Gaines CB 

- Cameron Meredith WR 

- Korey Toomer LB 

- Shariff Floyd DT 

These guys are all young, and 2 of them are coming off injury. They are low risk high reward. I'd like to see us use some of our remaining cap on them. All should be relatively cheap. 

Round 1: 

12 - Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA

22 - Isiah Wynn, OG/OT, Georgia 

Adding Davenport will help bring speed to our young DL. He's athletic with great burst. He may not be Chubb, but with Chubb off the board I would be open to a move down to pick up more picks and Davenport. He can slide right in and start at DE across from Sheard. 

Wynn is a very solid lineman. He played OT at Georgia but projects inside at OG. Even if he doesn't may much in his first year he'll be a starter for the next 10. He can fill in at OT in a pinch. Your fooling yourself if you think that Slaushon is the future at OG. Wynn can start or sit, either way he can be a future starter for the next 10 years on our OL. 

Round 2: 

36 - Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa 

37 - James Daniels, OG/C, Iowa

Jackson was once considered the top CB in the draft, but after a poor combine showing and disappointing interviews, his stock seems to be late 1st early 2nd. Jackson is a ballhawk. He had 8 ints last season. He's got long arms and plays the ball very well. Can be a CB1/2 pair with Wilson from day 1. 

Daniels projects as a C, but has a lot of position fluidity. He can easily be converted to OG. This may be a surprise pick to some but Daniels is one of my favorite players in the draft. He's a very fluid and mobile blocker. The Colts have been deprived of a good OL for long enough, it's time to invest the picks in protecting Luck. Also, having a stronger OL will instantly improve our running game. 

49 - Ron Jones II, RB, USC 

53 - Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas 

Jones is one of my favorite RB prospects. Ideally, this would be Derrius Guice or Sony Michel but I don't think either will be available. He's a capable back catcher whose great in space. He's similar to Mack, but I still think they'd make a very good pairing. 

Jefferson is one of the most athletic LB's in the draft. He was once considered a top prospect but underperformed at Texas. He's got all the tools to be an elite LB but needs to work on his instincts. Has the potential to be a star. 

Round 3: 

67 - Jerome Baker, LB, OSU 

Baker is another athletic LB who needs to work on his instincts. He's got the range and speed to be a great fit in our new 4-3 D. Tons of potential and natural scheme fit. 

Round 4:

4 - Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa

Jewell is less athletic, but way more instinctive than the other LBs taken. He's at a disadvantage athletically in most matchups, but he's a hell of a football player. He reminds me of a Sean Lee type. Would be a steal in the 4th. 

Rounds 5-7:

5 - Derrick Nnadi, DT, FSU 

6 - Korey Robertson, WR, Southern Mississippi 

Nnadi is a big bodied DT that can slide right into the rotation on the DL.  

Robertson is a physical WR who attacks the ball and can play well both inside at the slot and out wide. 

Overall, this draft aimed to do 2 things. 

1. Make the Defense YOUNGER, FASTER and HUNGRIER. It accomplished this by picking up stud rusher Marcus Davenport in the 1st while moving down and accumulating more picks. Davenport should be able to be a double digit sack guy. We then took the ball hawking CB Joshua Jackson in the second, then 3 (!!!) LBs in rounds 2-4. Baker and Jefferson are of rare athletic build, while Jewell is a hell of a football player. 

2. (Finally) Rebuild the OL properly through the draft. This was accomplished by investing our extra picks on young, fluid, physical, athletic interior linemen in Wynn and Daniels. Now both of our future guards, and center all can play at least 3 positions on the OL. Very, very versatile. 

Rough Look at the Lineup: 

OL - Costonzo - Daniels - Kelly - Wynn - Haeg

WR - Hilton - Meredith - Grant - Robertson - Rogers 

TE - Ebron - Doyle - Swoope 

QB/RB - Luck/Brissett - Jones/Mack/Michael 

DL - Davenport - Floyd - Woods - Sheard 

LB - Baker/Toomer - Jewell - Jefferson 

CB - Jackson - Wilson - Desir/Hairston - White/Gaines 

S - Hooker - Gaethers/Farley  

Where do I begin?  If we trade to the Bills we won't be giving then any picks but number 6.  And it would have to be 12, 22 and 2 of their seconds or a future first.  That's the only way a trade like that happens.

2nd you have 2 players being taken in the first that aren't first round players.  Davenport is a 3rd round player at best and Wynn could be had in the 2nd with Price.  If we take a Guard in the first it better be Nelson or Hernandez.  Other than that no thanks.

If Jackson does indeed fall I'll take that value but again you have Daniels a 2nd/3rd guy going at the top of the 2nd?  Also you just took a Guard in the first it makes no sense to turn around and overdraft another one why not just wait until the 3rd where you can get some value?

I'll take the Jefferson pick.  Not sure he will be there but it would be a welcome addition of athletic ability and we hope Eberflus can turn him into a star.  I hate the Jonss pick.  We have literally the identical player on the roster and again getting terrible value here.  There will be legitamite starting corners, DTs and receivers at this pick.  Why would we go for a one dimensional running back? 

I love Baker here but you've already drafted Jefferson and we have Walker on the roster. It's getting redundant but this is terrible value... Again... Jewell is the same story. Around here we could take Cappa and have a legitamite Guard and flex RT.

There's no point in taking players just because they are needs. You take value and this draft lost out on tons of value.  Missed oppurunties on Smith, Landry, Hughes, Esch, Hernandez, Price, Guice, Chubb, even Chark or Sutton... 

2 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Where do I begin?  If we trade to the Bills we won't be giving then any picks but number 6.  And it would have to be 12, 22 and 2 of their seconds or a future first.  That's the only way a trade like that happens.

2nd you have 2 players being taken in the first that aren't first round players.  Davenport is a 3rd round player at best and Wynn could be had in the 2nd with Price.  If we take a Guard in the first it better be Nelson or Hernandez.  Other than that no thanks.

If Jackson does indeed fall I'll take that value but again you have Daniels a 2nd/3rd guy going at the top of the 2nd?  Also you just took a Guard in the first it makes no sense to turn around and overdraft another one why not just wait until the 3rd where you can get some value?

I'll take the Jefferson pick.  Not sure he will be there but it would be a welcome addition of athletic ability and we hope Eberflus can turn him into a star.  I hate the Jonss pick.  We have literally the identical player on the roster and again getting terrible value here.  There will be legitamite starting corners, DTs and receivers at this pick.  Why would we go for a one dimensional running back? 

I love Baker here but you've already drafted Jefferson and we have Walker on the roster. It's getting redundant but this is terrible value... Again... Jewell is the same story. Around here we could take Cappa and have a legitamite Guard and flex RT.

There's no point in taking players just because they are needs. You take value and this draft lost out on tons of value.  Missed oppurunties on Smith, Landry, Hughes, Esch, Hernandez, Price, Guice, Chubb, even Chark or Sutton... 

We're hauling in 2 1sts and an additional 2nd. Thats a crazy haul, so sending a very late round pick back is not gonna make or break a deal. Adding a 6th should literally be the least of anybodies concerns.

Say what you want about Davenport. Theres a reason why he's gonna go top 15. You can call him a 3rd round player but thats your opinion. He's projected top 15, he's got rare athleticism and reminds many of Khalil Mack. You probably said Mack was a 3rd round prospect too I'm assuming? Also with Wynn I see very little chance he's available in the 2nd. Too many 1st round suitors - Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, Cincy, Atlanta, Tennessee, Philly, New England, Minny. Nearly no chance. Good OL don't last long. Same goes for Hernandez. Remember this guy has all the talent to be an elite OT but just doesn't measure up. Talent is not the question here. 

Same for Daniels, what I've seen he's a late first guy. Cincy/Detriot. No idea where you get the idea he's a 2nd/3rd guy. As for Baker, that's not picking for need, he's projected to go there, and is a scheme fit and fills a position not the other way around. Baker and Jefferson may be similar but they compliment eachother well, no reason to think they can't play together because they're similar... look at Telvin Smith and Myles Jack in JAX. Josey isn't the same story. He's a stud who doesn't have the measurables as the other prospects which will cause him to fall but once he's on the field he makes plays. This young LB core reminds me of what Jax has with Jewell being the Pus. 

Don't see how Hughes, Hernandez, Price or either of the WRs make any more sense especially when Wynn, Davenport and the 3 LBs are being selected. 

4 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Say what you want about Davenport. Theres a reason why he's gonna go top 15. You can call him a 3rd round player but thats your opinion. He's projected top 15, he's got rare athleticism and reminds many of Khalil Mack. You probably said Mack was a 3rd round prospect too I'm assuming? Also with Wynn I see very little chance he's available in the 2nd. Too many 1st round suitors - Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, Cincy, Atlanta, Tennessee, Philly, New England, Minny. Nearly no chance. Good OL don't last long. Same goes for Hernandez. Remember this guy has all the talent to be an elite OT but just doesn't measure up. Talent is not the question here. 

I'll comment on this part.  Your comparison to Mack is rediculous.  Mack actually played high level football against the best competition.  Davenport can be as big and as fast as you want but if you can't play football you just can't play football.  There have been plenty of players who have the exact measurements as hundreds of players that's why production is pretty dang important. In Davenport's case he was very unimpressive against lesser talent for 3? (Might have been less can't remember) years and was even more unimpressive against better talent at the senior bowl.  Which not every player at that senior bowl was first round talent mind you.  That's fine that teams and analysts are obsessed with his physical traits but it doesn't make them right.  We've seen this song and dance before and very rarely does the player just exponentially grow into a NFL star.

Wynn could go in the first no doubt.  But his position is a lower value position.  He's more likely to go to the second than say Guice who also has an equally underappreciated position. Percentages say Wynn is likely to be in the second or you can find an equally talented player (like Price) in the second instead of wasting a first. 

All said and done I think you missed my point.  The values were all wrong.  I didn't mind the players but I did mind the sunk opportunity cost of the entire draft.  Either way this was meant to be constructive criticism as I enjoy talking draft picks and that's just how I viewed it.  

9 hours ago, Surge89 said:

And it would have to be 12, 22 and 2 of their seconds or a future first.  That's the only way a trade like that happens.

2nd you have 2 players being taken in the first that aren't first round players.  Davenport is a 3rd round player at best and Wynn could be had in the 2nd with Price.  If we take a Guard in the first it better be Nelson or Hernandez. 

Agree with the trade and Davenport.

Wynn is 100% a first round talent with flexibility on the OL

Daniels is projected as a late first, early  2nd rounder. We need more than 1 OL fyi

Jones is nowhere near a one dimensional back, do some research.

Ballard himself said we're targeting 2+ LBs so it makes sense. Walker isn't anything special.

3 hours ago, tvturner said:

Daniels is projected as a late first, early  2nd rounder. We need more than 1 OL fyi

Ballard himself said we're targeting 2+ LBs so it makes sense. Walker isn't anything special.

There is a difference between a projected 1st round pick and a player that grades as a 1st round pick. There won't be 32 players with 1st Rd grades. There might be 20 but there will be 32 1st round picks count on it. 

I'm not sure Wynn goes in the 1st. The only G that's a lock for the 1st round is Nelson. Look at draft history: 

Last year first G was Lamp 2nd Rd Then in 2016 Garrett was the only G taken in the 1st Rd. Since 2010 8 G's have been drafted to in the 1st from 2000-2009 6 G's went in the 1st round. 

I doubt we take 3 LB's in a row starting at 49 but that's just my opinion 

7 hours ago, tvturner said:

It's definitely debatable that Wynn goes in the first.  But due to his position and the value of Guards in all likelihood he's a 2nd round pick. 

Daniels isn't going in the first. And of course we need more than one lineman. But we need a RT more than we need a 2nd guard.  

My projection for Jones is not a common one so I won't argue this. 

I don't have an issue with taking 2 or more linebackers in this draft.  I have been one of the few that wanted Edmunds at 3 for months and now 6.  But I have an issue with taking similar linebackers with no consideration of value.  It's hard to take a linebackers like Baker when you already took Jefferson and there's starter material Guards and swing tackles on the board.  Which is the main reason why I had so much issue with taking Daniels and Wynn so high.