Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Track Guy Late March Mock

A combination between "predictive" and my opinion here, as my mocks usually are. Strategically I focused on athletic, fast defenders who can fit in a 4-3 base, and on both sides of the football prioritized building in the trenches in the early rounds. The only thing that makes me cringe is not being able to add more talent at linebacker, but since I was projecting 4 selections in the position group in the 1st round, I let the board fall as I thought it should. I projected the first 5 picks as Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen Bradley Chubb, and Saquon Barkley (in no specific order). Anyway - here it is below:

R1 (6) - Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame - The best overall player in the draft. Nelson will come in day 1 and immediately be one of the better guards in the league and improve from there. A monster run blocker who is good in pass protection as well. 

R2 (36) - Maurice Hurst, DL, Michigan - A super disruptive interior defensive lineman. Hurst is perhaps a narrow scheme fit, but he seems a terrific fit for the Colts new defense. Scheme questions and the heart flag might push him to early round 2 (in theory). He brings pass rushing ability up the middle which is a premium skill. 

R2 (37) - Josh Sweat, Edge, Florida St. - The most athletic edge rusher in the draft class at the combine. This is a guy with explosiveness, length to play in a 4-3, a versatile skill set, and a love for the game of football. His medical grade reportedly came back as middle of the road (that was his biggest concern initially). Sweat gives us dynamic speed we will need in our new 4-3 scheme. 

R2 (49) - Tyrell Crosby, OL, Oregon - Our situation at tackle last season wasn’t as bad as at guard, but the right tackle spot could be upgraded - or at least give us more depth at tackle overall. Crosby could push for a starting role as a rookie at RT. He is good run blocker who didn’t allow a single sack in 2017 (albeit, in a pretty blocker friendly scheme). 

R3 (67) - Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia - A power running back that could compliment the stable we have pretty nicely. Chubb has good size, you can see his burst show up on tape, and outside of Saquon Barkley had the best SPARQ rating at the combine. 

R4 (104) - J’Mon Moore, WR, Missouri - A big receiver who (outside of a disappointing 40-time) posted terrific measurables at the combine. He was very productive in the Missouri offense and could fight for a WR3 role early.

R5 (140) - Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt - An athletic linebacker who has some safety experience. He will offer us coverage ability and quickness that we are missing at the linebacker position. 

R6 (178) - Troy Apke, S, Penn St. - An absolute workout monster, could be worth a look as a developmental/special teams player. 

R7 (221) - Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma - A somewhat trouble cornerback who lacks in long range speed, but has special short area quickness and good ball skills. Potential slot CB option or nickel option. 

You don’t need that early pick at RT unless it’s someone like Connor Williams who fell. Remember that we have Haeg, Good, and Clark. That’s 3 young players who still have a chance to grow. You add another tackle that isn’t an instant plug and play (Williams, McGlinchey) and you’ve just got another guy who will compete for a spot. Crosby isn’t significantly better than any of those guys who will all have 3 years experience in the league on him.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You don’t need that early pick at RT unless it’s someone like Connor Williams who fell. Remember that we have Haeg, Good, and Clark. That’s 3 young players who still have a chance to grow. You add another tackle that isn’t an instant plug and play (Williams, McGlinchey) and you’ve just got another guy who will compete for a spot. Crosby isn’t significantly better than any of those guys who will all have 3 years experience in the league on him.

I figure Clark has a low chance of making the final 53 unless he drastically improves. The guy's mechanics are just awful. 

6 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I figure Clark has a low chance of making the final 53 unless he drastically improves. The guy's mechanics are just awful. 

I’d agree with that assessment. But there’s still Good and Haeg. Haeg doesn’t belong at guard. But new coaching might do something for all of them.

31 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Any mock that has the colts taking a guard or RB at 6 I will dislike.

To clarify....I don't like it.

So if Chubb is gone, you want us to trade back 100%?

I get what you’re saying, but if Nelson is that good , I’m not gunna go full Polian on my stance towards guards. Interior pressure/protection is more important than ever.

I’m with you on Barkley, though.

12 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I get what you’re saying, but if Nelson is that good , I’m not gunna go full Polian on my stance towards guards. Interior pressure/protection is more important than ever.

Agree with this. Taking a RB in round 1 only makes sense to me if you're a team in striking distance of a title. But an O-lineman is a building block. Tackle is higher value of course, but when you're talking about Nelson he's a generational prospect. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’d agree with that assessment. But there’s still Good and Haeg. Haeg doesn’t belong at guard. But new coaching might do something for all of them.

I agree Haeg isn't a guard. I think ideally he's a swing tackle unless he has a big improvement. Good is a RT who is entering a contract year, so I don't know if he's going to be in the long term plans - it probably depends on how he plays this year. I think we could afford to wait on adding a tackle until next offseason, perhaps, but I wouldn't avoid adding a tackle either. Kind of depends on how you rate them (I won't say I think Crosby is an absolutely slam dunk, but very reasonably could be a better player than Good/Haeg even pretty early in his career). 

45 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I wouldn't necessarily trade down. Defensive players like Fitzpatrick, Edwards, Smith, Ward might be worthy of the 6th.

20 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I wouldn't necessarily trade down. Defensive players like Fitzpatrick, Edwards, Smith, Ward might be worthy of the 6th.

Does it make sense to draft Fitzpatrick or Ward that high in our defensive scheme?

1 minute ago, Trueman said:

Does make sense to draft Fitzpatrick or Ward that high in our defensive scheme?

Depends what they actually run. I think Fitzpatrick, with his versatility would be fine in any scheme.....moving between safety and corner.  Somebody showed a stat that the cowboys used 3 safeties 66% of the time....so I'm fine with Fitzpatrick.

39 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Agree with this. Taking a RB in round 1 only makes sense to me if you're a team in striking distance of a title. But an O-lineman is a building block. Tackle is higher value of course, but when you're talking about Nelson he's a generational prospect. 

I don’t know if I’d be that rigid in my philosophy towards drafting RB’s , I just know it makes little sense when looking at our situation/roster.

Ideally, I’d like our DE,OL,LB,DT addressed in the first four picks when looking at our needs and the talent available. I think this draft lines up well with what we need.

With the amount of RB’s and the lack of intriguing WR’s I don’t see why we’d look at those positions until round 3 and beyond.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Depends what they actually run. I think Fitzpatrick, with his versatility would be fine in any scheme.....moving between safety and corner.  Somebody showed a stat that the cowboys used 3 safeties 66% of the time....so I'm fine with Fitzpatrick.

Hmm fair point. I need to stop assuming it’s going to be a carbon-copy of Dungy’s scheme.

7 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I understand that the shelf-life of a RB is much shorter than of, say, a guard or an edge rusher. But Barkley can transform a team unlike any other prospect in the draft. If he's there at 6 and Chubb's gone, you take him and don't look back.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Track Guy said:
A combination between "predictive" and my opinion here, as my mocks usually are. Strategically I focused on athletic, fast defenders who can fit in a 4-3 base, and on both sides of the football prioritized building in the trenches in the early rounds. The only thing that makes me cringe is not being able to add more talent at linebacker, but since I was projecting 4 selections in the position group in the 1st round, I let the board fall as I thought it should. I projected the first 5 picks as Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen Bradley Chubb, and Saquon Barkley (in no specific order). Anyway - here it is below:

R1 (6) - Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame - The best overall player in the draft. Nelson will come in day 1 and immediately be one of the better guards in the league and improve from there. A monster run blocker who is good in pass protection as well. 

R2 (36) - Maurice Hurst, DL, Michigan - A super disruptive interior defensive lineman. Hurst is perhaps a narrow scheme fit, but he seems a terrific fit for the Colts new defense. Scheme questions and the heart flag might push him to early round 2 (in theory). He brings pass rushing ability up the middle which is a premium skill. 

R2 (37) - Josh Sweat, Edge, Florida St. - The most athletic edge rusher in the draft class at the combine. This is a guy with explosiveness, length to play in a 4-3, a versatile skill set, and a love for the game of football. His medical grade reportedly came back as middle of the road (that was his biggest concern initially). Sweat gives us dynamic speed we will need in our new 4-3 scheme. 

R2 (49) - Tyrell Crosby, OL, Oregon - Our situation at tackle last season wasn’t as bad as at guard, but the right tackle spot could be upgraded - or at least give us more depth at tackle overall. Crosby could push for a starting role as a rookie at RT. He is good run blocker who didn’t allow a single sack in 2017 (albeit, in a pretty blocker friendly scheme). 

R3 (67) - Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia - A power running back that could compliment the stable we have pretty nicely. Chubb has good size, you can see his burst show up on tape, and outside of Saquon Barkley had the best SPARQ rating at the combine. 

R4 (104) - J’Mon Moore, WR, Missouri - A big receiver who (outside of a disappointing 40-time) posted terrific measurables at the combine. He was very productive in the Missouri offense and could fight for a WR3 role early.

R5 (140) - Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt - An athletic linebacker who has some safety experience. He will offer us coverage ability and quickness that we are missing at the linebacker position. 

R6 (178) - Troy Apke, S, Penn St. - An absolute workout monster, could be worth a look as a developmental/special teams player. 

R7 (221) - Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma - A somewhat trouble cornerback who lacks in long range speed, but has special short area quickness and good ball skills. Potential slot CB option or nickel option. 

One of the best mock drafts I've seen so far

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s what we have Mack for.

Michel and Penny can run between the tackles as well as outside. Both can catch out of the backfield.  The question on Penny is whether he can block or not.  Both can be the featured back.

Since we are changing to a West Coast Offense, Chubb might not fit.  Besides we have Turbin.