Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt Overseas's Offseason Mock

This is my first time doing one of these so any feedback welcome. Thought I would do one of these mock offseasons, as I’ve been looking at prospects for a while now. Apologies if it appears long!

Starting 2018 Cap space: $79 million (Spotrac)

Resign:

Barkevious Mingo – 1 year – $2m 
Pierre Desir – 2 years – $6m, $4m guaranteed
Matt Jones – 1 year – $1m

Total Cap Space Remaining => $79m – $6m = $73m

Thoughts: OK, not a lot of players resigned. Injuries and performance mean Mewhort and Moncrief are not reliable for me and even for a prove it 1 year contract I would prefer we concentrate our resources elsewhere. It pains me to say this, but I would prefer if we let Vinny sign someplace else, I think we should look to develop a rookie kicker long term as Vinny probably won’t be around when our roster becomes legit SB contenders. I will discuss why Melvin was not resigned later. 

Free Agent signings:

Andrew Norwell (OG) - 5 years – $65m, $45m guaranteed: Don’t need to give this guy and introduction on these boards lol.
Trumaine Johnson (CB) - 4 years - $62m, $50m guaranteed: So this is the big decision, getting Josh Norman money. A top 10 corner imo, and one of the best zone corners in the game. Will discuss my reasoning for handing out a big contract later.
Allen Robinson (WR) – 1 year – $11m: Don’t see Robinson getting a lucrative long term deal with his injuries. This is a generous one year prove it deal. Ballard loves size and athleticism so Robinson is his ideal receiver. He’s got a great chance to have a 1,000 yard season here with Luck if he stays healthy.
Anthony Hitchens (LB) – 4 years $26m, $18m guaranteed: Rumours we are interested in him. Fits the middle inside linebacker position perfectly. Hitchens is a physical, quick and instinctive linebacker, exactly the type Ballard wants, as he said in his press conference this week. 
Demario Davis (LB) – 2 years – $10m, $7m guaranteed: One of my favourite FA’s. Davis comes in at 6’2, 235lbs WILL linebacker who ran a 4.61 40 at his combine. That was a few years ago, but like Hitchens and what Ballard wants in his LB’s, he is a fast, strong player who can play the run and drop into coverage against tightends. Nice fit for our new defense. Had an excellent year with the Jets.
Corey Graham (FS) – 1 year - 1m: Experienced player that will cover for Hooker at the start of the season. Can still be valuable when Hooker comes back, as he is a converted corner and can play in the slot and back up Hairston too. 
Other various depth signings - $5 million

Total Cap Space Remaining => $73m – $57m = $16 million

Draft signings => $10 million
Total Cap space Remaining => $16m – $10m = $6 million (Final)

2018 Draft:

Colts trade their 3rd overall pick for the Jets 6th, 37th and 72nd overall picks.

Round 1 (5th pick): Bradley Chubb, DE (NC State): Like Norwell most of y’all know who he is.
Round 2 (36th pick):  Will Hernandez, OG (UTEP): Powerful guard, could go in the first, but most have him mocked to the second. Day 1 starter.
Round 2 (37th pick): Malik Jefferson, LB (Texas): Will play him as a SAM linebacker, Malik has all the measurements and athleticism you want. While Malik has generally underwhelmed in Texas being moved about the defense, he could really shine under Eberflus and his scheme. Needs to work on his coverage but has all the tools. Elite linebacker speed and burst. 
Round 3 (67th pick): Rahaad Penny, RB (San Diego State): Every down back, one of my favourites in this draft. Good frame at 5’11, 220lbs, he will lead a talent backfield with Mack as the change of pace RB. 
Round 3 (72nd pick): Simmie Cobbs Jr, WR (Indiana University): A Ballard type draft pick, Cobbs has great size, hands and playmaking ability. Can be a really mismatch with his 6’4 frame and a good endzone target for Luck. Great potential.
Round 4 (100th pick): Marcell Frazier, DE (Missuri): Good size, 6’5 265 pounds edge rusher that can complete with Basham for snaps. Has good get off, but needs to get stronger. Not going to the combine though but good development player.
Round 5 (131st pick): Nick DeLuca, LB (North Dakota State): Every down LB that played mostly as the middle linebacker for NDSU on their 4-3 front, but has experience in the outside linebacker position, especially on 3rd down. Good against the run and comfortable in space.
Round 6 (164th pick): Daniel Carlson, K (Auburn): Excellent college record for Auburn’s record setting kicker. 
Round 7 (195th pick): Taylor Hearn, OG (Clemson): Excellent size at 6’5 and 330lbs, has potential to be a solid back up at this level.

Thoughts: I wanted to address 3 weakness in the roster:
1.    Pass defense
2.    Offensive line
3.    Linebacker core
The pass defense got the most attention with the biggest contract going to Trumaine Johnson and drafting Bradley Chubb with our first pick. These two should see our 29th ranked pass defense improve immeasurably. My decision to not resign Melvin and go Jaguars style ‘all in’ for Johnson was because of Johnson’s elite ability as a zone corner that would fit seamlessly into our 4-3 zone defense (predominately). Not that Melvin could not replicate last years form in the new defense, but at 29 next season, and being more of a press corner, and also last year being his only quality year, I have doubts. Also the value of having Johnson's veteran leadership to someone like Wilson would be huge. It’s just worth the extra few million in my opinion.
Offensive line gets a huge upgrade with Norwell and Hernandez giving the Colts, along with Ryan Kelly, a nasty interior. With Costanzo and Good/Haeg at tackle, there is more than enough talent on the line now for DeGuglielmo to keep Luck protected. It would be the most o-line talent we’ve had in years.
Linebacker core is where we would see the biggest improvement of any position group. A trio of Jefferson(S) – Hitchens(M) – Davis(W) would give the Colts balance, size and tonnes of speed that Ballard wants in this group. 

First off regarding FA's ( Ours ) Mingo won't be re-signed. Unfortunately he isn't a fit with our new defensive scheme.

Colts re-sign:

Vinny

Mewhort

Desir

FA pickups:

Robinson will be tagged by jags, wont be a colt

Norwell, if not Futon ( One will be a Colt )

Fleming/RT NE

BreeLand CB Redskins

Hutchins/LB Dallas

Brice Butler/WR Dallas

Ziggy ( If he hits the market )