Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dream Draft Trade Down Scenario.

Ballard and the Colts are on the verge of a special scenario this spring. Depending on how the board falls, the Colts could have massive demand for their 3rd overall selection. The unique thing about this draft is the number and the layout of the QBs. Theres no general consensus, some teams valuing QBX over QBY while others feel the opposite. If the board falls right Ballard could be sitting pretty receiving a great payout to move back a couple spots while still grabbing 'our guy'.

I feel as if the best scenario is for a bidding war to break out between teams looking to jump up for a QB. NYJ/DEN/CLE specifically at 4-6. The Jets intrigue me. Rumours say they really like Allen and Darnold, and their a QB away from being a playoff team. They also have 2 2nds of ammunition. I think a nice, logical move for us would be to trade 3 for 6, 36 and 49. 

Now having the extra seconds and 6, the Colts still have a number of options. Lets say the board falls as: 

1 CLE - Barkley 

2 NYG - Rosen 

3 NYJ - Darnold 

4 CLE - Allen 

5 DEN - Mayfield 

The Colts have their pick of any non-QB or Barkley player in the whole draft. This is where it comes down to the front office and how much they like certain kids. If the Colts do love Chubb, this would be a great opportunity to nap him at 6. A great move to get your #1 guy and move down and grab some more bodies in another round. But, there still is a lot of talent on the board, Nelson, Chubb, Smith, Fitzpatrick, etc. If Ballard and co. have high grades on all these guys it may be an opportunity to trade down a small amount again, picking up more picks and picking between whose left of the blue chippers. 

Some other reports suggest that the Raiders and 9ers both really like Fitzpatrick, they are currently both tied for 9/10 and a coin flip will determine who is where. Lets say that the lower of the 2 feels as if it's a good opportunity to move up - so they offer 10, 41, and 73. Picking up more ammunition. If it is the 9ers who loose the toss and end up picking 10th, they don't have a 2nd due to the Jimmy G trade - so they could offer a future 2nd and a current 3rd. 

Lets say the rest of the board falls as 

6 OAK - Fitzpatrick 

7 TB - Chubb

8 CHI - Jackson 

9 SF - James 

Now at 10, you are gifted the choice between Quenton Nelson and Raqoun Smith, two guys who are presumably pretty high on Ballards list. At this point I think you stick to your guns and take your guy. I like Nelson more, so lets say we take him at 10. 

Now, you've got 3 extra seconds and a third to play with. This gives you the ability to jump up into the first again if you want, or just haul in a number of new players. 

At 35/36 the early seconds I'd look at the top guys who are falling.. Adren Key? Is he available? If so I think you grab him. In terms of some of my favorite second round prospects.

At 35 and I'd look at Isiah Oliver, CB, Colorado he's a guy I really like. He could slide right in and play with Wilson to make a very solid CB tandem for years to come. He's got the size and speed to be a outside corner for years to come. 

At 36 I'd look at Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama He's probably my favorite second round ILB prospect. Could slide right in and play ILB and provide a nice young start to the ILB core. 

At 41 I'd look at Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas This is my dude. He's a real player drawing some comparisons to Telvin Smith. He plays hard and is a real trooper. One of my favorite propsect and would help build a nice, young LB core with Evans. 

At 49 I'd look at Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA - This may be a stretch, but Miller is my favorite 2nd round OT prospect, I'd be fine with us grabbing him at 35, but I'm hoping he'll be here a little later. 

In the 3rd I'd look at Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia and Auden Tate, WR, FSU. As they both could be playmakers for our offence. 

Given just trading back 2 times in the first while still picking up the talented Quenton Nelson we add Evans, Jefferson, Miller and Tate. It's a great haul. 

Overall, Ballards just got a special opportunity to make some great moves this offseason, with draft capital available that this, and over 85 million in free agency to play with this could really be an amazing offseason. 

You beat me to this post!  I was waiting until closer to the draft to post just about the same thing, word for word, player for player.  I like the tactical options that are available to us this draft.  At pick 3, we have the option to draft a franchise-defining player (if you judge any to be that good).  At the pick 6 window, you can still get the guy you might have gotten at 3, but have a chance at one of your best from the "my guys" list.  At 10, there's still a lot of the good "my guys" left, along with extra picks.  You even mentioned my new favorite player, Rashaan Evans!  I've been watching his highlight reels on youtube.  He hits you with his face.  Pow!  On the down side, he has some tendency to lunge for the legs, which NFL-caliber players can more easily avoid.  But I'm loving this guy.  Thanks for the great post!

On 1/26/2018 at 4:46 PM, RealityIsLuck said:

Ballard and the Colts are on the verge of a special scenario this spring. Depending on how the board falls, the Colts could have massive demand for their 3rd overall selection. The unique thing about this draft is the number and the layout of the QBs. Theres no general consensus, some teams valuing QBX over QBY while others feel the opposite. If the board falls right Ballard could be sitting pretty receiving a great payout to move back a couple spots while still grabbing 'our guy'.

I feel as if the best scenario is for a bidding war to break out between teams looking to jump up for a QB. NYJ/DEN/CLE specifically at 4-6. The Jets intrigue me. Rumours say they really like Allen and Darnold, and their a QB away from being a playoff team. They also have 2 2nds of ammunition. I think a nice, logical move for us would be to trade 3 for 6, 36 and 49. 

Now having the extra seconds and 6, the Colts still have a number of options. Lets say the board falls as: 

1 CLE - Barkley 

2 NYG - Rosen 

3 NYJ - Darnold 

4 CLE - Allen 

5 DEN - Mayfield 

The Colts have their pick of any non-QB or Barkley player in the whole draft. This is where it comes down to the front office and how much they like certain kids. If the Colts do love Chubb, this would be a great opportunity to nap him at 6. A great move to get your #1 guy and move down and grab some more bodies in another round. But, there still is a lot of talent on the board, Nelson, Chubb, Smith, Fitzpatrick, etc. If Ballard and co. have high grades on all these guys it may be an opportunity to trade down a small amount again, picking up more picks and picking between whose left of the blue chippers. 

Some other reports suggest that the Raiders and 9ers both really like Fitzpatrick, they are currently both tied for 9/10 and a coin flip will determine who is where. Lets say that the lower of the 2 feels as if it's a good opportunity to move up - so they offer 10, 41, and 73. Picking up more ammunition. If it is the 9ers who loose the toss and end up picking 10th, they don't have a 2nd due to the Jimmy G trade - so they could offer a future 2nd and a current 3rd. 

Lets say the rest of the board falls as 

6 OAK - Fitzpatrick 

7 TB - Chubb

8 CHI - Jackson 

9 SF - James 

Now at 10, you are gifted the choice between Quenton Nelson and Raqoun Smith, two guys who are presumably pretty high on Ballards list. At this point I think you stick to your guns and take your guy. I like Nelson more, so lets say we take him at 10. 

Now, you've got 3 extra seconds and a third to play with. This gives you the ability to jump up into the first again if you want, or just haul in a number of new players. 

At 35/36 the early seconds I'd look at the top guys who are falling.. Adren Key? Is he available? If so I think you grab him. In terms of some of my favorite second round prospects.

At 35 and I'd look at Isiah Oliver, CB, Colorado he's a guy I really like. He could slide right in and play with Wilson to make a very solid CB tandem for years to come. He's got the size and speed to be a outside corner for years to come. 

At 36 I'd look at Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama He's probably my favorite second round ILB prospect. Could slide right in and play ILB and provide a nice young start to the ILB core. 

At 41 I'd look at Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas This is my dude. He's a real player drawing some comparisons to Telvin Smith. He plays hard and is a real trooper. One of my favorite propsect and would help build a nice, young LB core with Evans. 

At 49 I'd look at Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA - This may be a stretch, but Miller is my favorite 2nd round OT prospect, I'd be fine with us grabbing him at 35, but I'm hoping he'll be here a little later. 

In the 3rd I'd look at Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia and Auden Tate, WR, FSU. As they both could be playmakers for our offence. 

Given just trading back 2 times in the first while still picking up the talented Quenton Nelson we add Evans, Jefferson, Miller and Tate. It's a great haul. 

Overall, Ballards just got a special opportunity to make some great moves this offseason, with draft capital available that this, and over 85 million in free agency to play with this could really be an amazing offseason. 

GREAT POST!