Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Top Two Quarterbacks Drafted Since 2002

subvet

Read an article yesterday in USA Today that had a list of the top two quarterbacks chosen in the draft since 2002.

Of the 20 players drafted, 1 was a total bust (JaMarcus Russell), 1 is out of football (Joey Harrington), 6 are backup quarterbacks (Carr, Leftwich, Young, Leinert, Quinn, and Locker), and the remaining 12 (Palmer, Manning, Rivers, Smith, Rogers, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, Sanchez, Bradford, Tebow, and Newton) are starting for their respective teams and of the last 8 quarterbacks chosen only Jake Locker isn't a starter.

What this shows is that while the draft is a crap shoot as to whom to pick, it is an educated one and the odds are heavily slanted in the Colts favor that Luck and Griffin will be playing for years to come, barring injury. Which one is the better fit in the system the Colts have and are developing for the coming years? We can discuss it to death here but the bottom line is that whichever quarterback they choose will be a good one, the Colts will continue to be a force in the NFL, and we'll have bragging rights again when talking about our team.

Read an article yesterday in USA Today that had a list of the top two quarterbacks chosen in the draft since 2002.

Of the 20 players drafted, 1 was a total bust (JaMarcus Russell), 1 is out of football (Joey Harrington), 6 are backup quarterbacks (Carr, Leftwich, Young, Leinert, Quinn, and Locker), and the remaining 12 (Palmer, Manning, Rivers, Smith, Rogers, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, Sanchez, Bradford, Tebow, and Newton) are starting for their respective teams and of the last 8 quarterbacks chosen only Jake Locker isn't a starter.

What this shows is that while the draft is a crap shoot as to whom to pick, it is an educated one and the odds are heavily slanted in the Colts favor that Luck and Griffin will be playing for years to come, barring injury. Which one is the better fit in the system the Colts have and are developing for the coming years? We can discuss it to death here but the bottom line is that whichever quarterback they choose will be a good one, the Colts will continue to be a force in the NFL, and we'll have bragging rights again when talking about our team.

I dont know but I dont think there is still a thought of taking RG3...

With Peyton's health still in doubt...(and I want him back) you have to look at the guy who could conceivably start in September.

If we believe that our 28 ppg offense shrunk to 13 ppg..because of the QB...play

we have to cover ourselves at that position...so that cant happen again..

If we trade the pick to Cleveland for three picks..and take RG3..If Manning isnt ready..

RG3 starts from day one and I think even he would not say he is ready fort that..

I want to go to the playoffs in 2012..\\

a healthy Manning almost guarantees that..

a rookie Luck gives you a remote chance

RG3.....doesnt give you a chance in 2012..he's a project at the pro level..

I'd still say there's no guarantee Luck will be great. Of the 20 qbs, I'd say only 8 qbs have shown the potential to be really good if they havn't shown it already: Palmer, Eli, Rivers, Rodgers, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, and Newton. The others have not been a top 16 qb in this league, which you really expect a top qb taken to be. With that said, Luck and RG3 look to be capable of having success in this league.

Of the 20 players drafted, 1 was a total bust (JaMarcus Russell), 1 is out of football (Joey Harrington), 6 are backup quarterbacks (Carr, Leftwich, Young, Leinert, Quinn, and Locker)

Id say Harrington, Carr, Leftwich Leinart, Quinn are all complete busts.

I'd still say there's no guarantee Luck will be great. Of the 20 qbs, I'd say only 8 qbs have shown the potential to be really good if they havn't shown it already: Palmer, Eli, Rivers, Rodgers, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, and Newton. The others have not been a top 16 qb in this league, which you really expect a top qb taken to be. With that said, Luck and RG3 look to be capable of having success in this league.

Well... no one can argue that, like any player, Luck or RGIII being great is no guarantee.

At least it will cost us roughly half of what used to cost teams a cap-killing signing bonus to find out.

Actually in my opinion only 6 of the QBs you mention have had what I consider to be an acceptable outcome for a first round draft pick. (Eli, Rivers, Rogers, Ryan, Stafford, Newton - with a 7th, Bradford still up in the air). And only Rogers is even remotely in the same league with Peyton (which is what too many people are assuming Luck will be). While the odds may be "heavily slanted in the Colts favor that Luck and Griffin will be playing for years to come, baring injury", you could say the same thing about Jeff George. The odds that we won't be disappointed with their performance are another matter entirely.

Actually in my opinion only 6 of the QBs you mention have had what I consider to be an acceptable outcome for a first round draft pick. (Eli, Rivers, Rogers, Ryan, Stafford, Newton - with a 7th, Bradford still up in the air). And only Rogers is even remotely in the same league with Peyton (which is what too many people are assuming Luck will be). While the odds may be "heavily slanted in the Colts favor that Luck and Griffin will be playing for years to come, baring injury", you could say the same thing about Jeff George. The odds that we won't be disappointed with their performance are another matter entirely.

Granted, but any of the others-except for Sanchez-would be welcomed with most any team. Disappointment is relative, the Giants fans weren't very happy with Eli at first either so keeping in mind that there is no "instant winner" at quarterback just go for the best one available and believe the "experts" were right.

Well... no one can argue that, like any player, Luck or RGIII being great is no guarantee.

At least it will cost us roughly half of what used to cost teams a cap-killing signing bonus to find out.

More like 30%. Stafford and Bradford got $70 million. Newton got $23 million. The money risk is not nearly as prohibitive.

Even better.... and all the more reason to draft Luck. ;)

Yup. And despite all the noise about how you can't draft him and put him on the bench behind Manning, you actually can. Maybe it's not ideal, and it would be costly, but it's possible. And, if Manning were healthy, I'd say it would be worth it, at least for a short time. Maybe not for four years though.

Yup. And despite all the noise about how you can't draft him and put him on the bench behind Manning, you actually can. Maybe it's not ideal, and it would be costly, but it's possible. And, if Manning were healthy, I'd say it would be worth it, at least for a short time. Maybe not for four years though.

Sure..... if Peyton and the team can work out an incentive-based 1-2 year VERY cap-friendly contract to protect the team against a less than ideal recovery... that would definitely help.

It just sounds like there are too many question marks remaining and not enough time to clear them up, in addition to the rest of the roster, so I've adjusted my expectations to us having Luck at QB... and a substantial rebuild.

Maybe it ain't what we want... but its what we got.

Sure..... if Peyton and the team can work out an incentive-based 1-2 year VERY cap-friendly contract to protect the team against a less than ideal recovery... that would definitely help.

It just sounds like there are too many question marks remaining and not enough time to clear them up, in addition to the rest of the roster, so I've adjusted my expectations to us having Luck at QB... and a substantial rebuild.

Maybe it ain't what we want... but its what we got.

Most likely. But it's not because the money can't work.

I sincerely hope you're right, but of those starters Palmer, Smith, Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez, Bradford, & Tebow doesn't start my adrenaline pumping.

And out of that list, how many of them are champions? 2; 1 of whom (Rodgers) has had tremendous help in achieving success, as evidenced by his backup having a better game than he himself has ever had. He's also got a shortened career from having not played for 4 years.

The rest of them are all average, and will likely never be champions.

It is more likely that Luck will fall into that same category.

Injury is one of the many reasons that i see RGIII being a bust in the NFL

And out of that list, how many of them are champions? 2; 1 of whom (Rodgers) has had tremendous help in achieving success, as evidenced by his backup having a better game than he himself has ever had. He's also got a shortened career from having not played for 4 years.

LOL at the Rodgers shot.

Im sure drafting a QB, would indicate a complete rebuild of the team drafting.... Some where never meant to have a good career. (Harrington, Carr, Leftwich, Quinn, Russel, Young) Bradford very well may end up in that category as well....Notice how 3 of those guys were in OUR division??!

Rivers,Stafford,Ryan, Flacco are all VERY capable of producing a championship. Smith? I dunno.

Juries still out on Tebow/Newton.

Eli and Rodgers already got theres.

The discussion of which QBs were busts or champions is always a puzzler to me. Sometimes I've wondered if Ryan Leaf might have had a chance to be successful if he had started at a team with a better infrastructure, and more discipline than the Chargers had in the late 90's. Likewise, I've wondered if Alex Smith might not have struggled as much as he has if he had better and more consistant coaching, and a better cast of characters on the field around him early on. Or how about if David Carr hadn't been sacked half a million times in his first several years?

Conversely, what if Favre never got out of Atlanta and never got the opportunity to start? Or Steve Young never left Tampa to discover his talent in San Fran?

The thing that concerns me most about drafting Luck (or whoever) is that I have no idea what this team's personality will be this next year. I hope Pagano leads a clean, disciplined and tough nosed squad, but I don't know. Whatever young QB gets introduced, they can only be as successful as their environment allows, IMO.

The discussion of which QBs were busts or champions is always a puzzler to me. Sometimes I've wondered if Ryan Leaf might have had a chance to be successful if he had started at a team with a better infrastructure, and more discipline than the Chargers had in the late 90's. Likewise, I've wondered if Alex Smith might not have struggled as much as he has if he had better and more consistant coaching, and a better cast of characters on the field around him early on. Or how about if David Carr hadn't been sacked half a million times in his first several years?

Conversely, what if Favre never got out of Atlanta and never got the opportunity to start? Or Steve Young never left Tampa to discover his talent in San Fran?

The thing that concerns me most about drafting Luck (or whoever) is that I have no idea what this team's personality will be this next year. I hope Pagano leads a clean, disciplined and tough nosed squad, but I don't know. Whatever young QB gets introduced, they can only be as successful as their environment allows, IMO.

Totally agree. Some of the historical busts might have turned out OK with the right teams, and some stars may have busted with the wrong teams.

Sometimes, it is the Luck of the draw.

LOL at the Rodgers shot.

Im sure drafting a QB, would indicate a complete rebuild of the team drafting.... Some where never meant to have a good career. (Harrington, Carr, Leftwich, Quinn, Russel, Young) Bradford very well may end up in that category as well....Notice how 3 of those guys were in OUR division??!

Rivers,Stafford,Ryan, Flacco are all VERY capable of producing a championship. Smith? I dunno.

Juries still out on Tebow/Newton.

Eli and Rodgers already got theres.

Eli has two ;)....and I agree with the above bolded.

Ding! Ding! Dadingdingding! We have a winner!

A lot of defensive busts too. Colts history supports going QB route. PM great Jeff George was better than average but difficult guy to manage. Emtman or however you spell his name and Coryatt flamed out quickly. Throw in trev Alberts who was a top 5 pick I think and we have not done well he grabbing defensive guys at the top of the draft.

In this one you have 1 guy who has separated from the pack and fits a need we have.

Well clearly you aren't going to get a guarantee Luck will be great. There is no guarantee that any player drafted will be great so I don't think it's fair to hold it against Luck that he might not be a bust because he's no different from any other player in that regard.

If Rivers and Eli aren't in the same class as Peyton they are the notch right below it. There isn't a major drop off there.

Also Stafford looks like he is on that track to moving into that class if he can stay healthy. He threw for over 5,000 yards and 40 TDs this year. His biggest issue has been staying healthy.

I think Ryan is the interesting one when talking about Luck. I think he's more realistic to think what Luck will be like. Ryan is the last QB coming into the draft that was being compared to Manning like Luck is in terms of just having an extremely high football IQ. Worst case Luck is a bust. Odds are he's a lot like Ryan (who is pretty good) and best case he's the next Manning. I will say this Luck does seem to be being projected as just being a better player than Ryan not to say that Ryan isn't good.