Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy Draft Story

Here's one that's more than 30 years old....

The year was 1986....     I was working at CBS in Los Angeles....    both the Rams and the Raiders were in Los Angeles.      Our sports anchor, Jim Hill,  played in the NFL.     He was a former first round pick for the Packers in the 70's.       So, the draft was big for him,  and it was big for me as a draft nut.      

I sent my good friend, and fellow producer, Dan,  to the Raiders to cover them.     The Raiders pick came during an ESPN commercial.     I called Dan to ask who the Raiders took and the name didn't sound familiar to me....

I'm cutting and pasting from the ESPN archives the Raiders 1986 draft,  you can see their FIRST ROUND pick.

1. Bob Buczkowski, DE, Pittsburgh
3. Brad Cochran, CB, Michigan
4a. Mike Wise, DE, U.C. Davis
4b. Vance Mueller, RB, Occidental
4c. Napoleon McCallum, RB, Navy
6. Doug Marrone, T, Syracuse
7. Bill Lewis, C, Nebraska
8. Joe Mauntel , LB, Eastern Kentucky
9. Zeph Lee, RB, USC
10. Jeff Reinke, DE, Mankato State
11. Randall Webster, LB, SW Oklahoma St
12. Larry Shephard, WR, Houston

So,  I told Dan that didn't make sense.     There was no one in Kiper's book with that name at all,  not even as an un-drafted free agent type of player.     And,  30 years ago,  someone bigger than Kiper was a guy from Pro Football Weekly named Joel Buchsbaum.      He was the Godfather of so-called draft experts.     He died very young of some auto-immune disease.     But Buczkowski wasn't in that book either.     Not at all.

It was totally bizarre,  neither book had the name,  they didn't have any defensive player from Pittsburgh.    It didn't add up.

Well,   the Raiders thought they knew what they were doing.    They struck gold with Howie Long a few years earlier and they tried again with Buczkowski.      Except this guy was a total bust.     Some NFL publications said a few other teams were interested in him in the 2nd round,  so if the Raiders wanted him they had to take him where they did --- first round.      But he quickly flamed out.

I share this story as to how information has changed.    When was the last time a first round pick was taken and no one had ever heard of him?     I mean,   not at all?      The world has changed.

These days,  you know about everyone....   and websites will tell you the sleepers and deep sleepers from small schools,  and around the globe.     That's how big the draft has become.     It's pretty amazing when you think about it....

By the way....  a footnote....   that 6th round pick?    Doug Marrone of Syracuse?    Yup,  the same guy.   He's now the head coach of Jacksonville and the former HC for Buffalo.      It's been a long, long time....

Usually during the NFL Draft weekend there is a party weekend at a small private college in Eastern Iowa.  St. Ambrose in Davenport. Well I got drunk during the draft and threw up in someones townhouse there all over their bathroom and blamed it on my buddy. 

I remember that I user to go to the Spring barrel tasting festival in the Yakima valley in Washington state with a bunch of geek wino friends.  It always coincided with draft weekend.  So this one year I'd just started texting and my sister-in-law was texting me each pick as they came on TV.  I was convinced we'd draft a TE, as we really missed Ken Dilger the year before when he left in FA,  I had my fingers crossed for Jason Witten, but instead we took a dude whose name I'd heard a few times but knew little about: Dallas Clark.  True story.  Wow!  I'm getting this old man tactic of telling long, boring stories down pat!

8 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I left my Cousin's Wedding early(Did not stay for the reception) so I could get home to watch the 2nd Day of the Draft

So, does that mean that your cousin picked a lousy DJ, the wedding party toasts left a lot to be desired, or that the cake baker was not a well respected one? 

Just Kidding PT! No one would ever question your INDY devotion brother. :thmup:

So back during the 15 draft a buddy and I went to the bdubs in Avon because the colts were hosting a "draft party", I say it because the only colts related thing there was 2 cheerleaders, and we were the only 2 repping colts gear. There were all sorts of people lining up to get there pictures taken with the two girls and my buddy and I really didn't have any interest in it and were focused on the draft. Well things die down some and next thing we know we have these two good looking Indianapolis Colts cheerleaders standing at our table wanting us to come take a picture with them since we were the only ones with colts jerseys on. Well little did they know that asking us that opened up the door to my buddy and I flirting with them the rest of the night haha .I tried and tried and tried to get ones number saying things like "you know I think your phone took a better picture then mine your gunna have to text it too me" but she saw through all the lines hahahaha it probably didn't help my cause that she had a couple years on me but I tried like hell anyways and still have the pictures lol. It's not a crazy story but a funny one that will always stick out too me

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's one that's more than 30 years old....

The year was 1986....     I was working at CBS in Los Angeles....    both the Rams and the Raiders were in Los Angeles.      Our sports anchor, Jim Hill,  played in the NFL.     He was a former first round pick for the Packers in the 70's.       So, the draft was big for him,  and it was big for me as a draft nut.      

I sent my good friend, and fellow producer, Dan,  to the Raiders to cover them.     The Raiders pick came during an ESPN commercial.     I called Dan to ask who the Raiders took and the name didn't sound familiar to me....

I'm cutting and pasting from the ESPN archives the Raiders 1986 draft,  you can see their FIRST ROUND pick.

1. Bob Buczkowski, DE, Pittsburgh
3. Brad Cochran, CB, Michigan
4a. Mike Wise, DE, U.C. Davis
4b. Vance Mueller, RB, Occidental
4c. Napoleon McCallum, RB, Navy
6. Doug Marrone, T, Syracuse
7. Bill Lewis, C, Nebraska
8. Joe Mauntel , LB, Eastern Kentucky
9. Zeph Lee, RB, USC
10. Jeff Reinke, DE, Mankato State
11. Randall Webster, LB, SW Oklahoma St
12. Larry Shephard, WR, Houston

So,  I told Dan that didn't make sense.     There was no one in Kiper's book with that name at all,  not even as an un-drafted free agent type of player.     And,  30 years ago,  someone bigger than Kiper was a guy from Pro Football Weekly named Joel .Buchsbaum      He was the Godfather of so-called draft experts.     He died very young of some auto-immune disease.     But Buczkowski wasn't in that book either.     Not at all.

It was totally bizarre,  neither book had the name,  they didn't have any defensive player from Pittsburgh.    It didn't add up.

Well,   the Raiders thought they knew what they were doing.    They struck gold with Howie Long a few years earlier and they tried again with Buczkowski.      Except this guy was a total bust.     Some NFL publications said a few other teams were interested in him in the 2nd round,  so if the Raiders wanted him they had to take him where they did --- first round.      But he quickly flamed out.

I share this story as to how information has changed.    When was the last time a first round pick was taken and no one had ever heard of him?     I mean,   not at all?      The world has changed.

These days,  you know about everyone....   and websites will tell you the sleepers and deep sleepers from small schools,  and around the globe.     That's how big the draft has become.     It's pretty amazing when you think about it....

By the way....  a footnote....   that 6th round pick?    Doug Marrone of Syracuse?    Yup,  the same guy.   He's now the head coach of Jacksonville and the former HC for Buffalo.      It's been a long, long time....

I find it hard to believe neither kiper or Buchsbaum didn't have him rated somewhere in there draft reports.  Even in those days.

55 minutes ago, twfish said:

So back during the 15 draft a buddy and I went to the bdubs in Avon because the colts were hosting a "draft party", I say it because the only colts related thing there was 2 cheerleaders, and we were the only 2 repping colts gear. There were all sorts of people lining up to get there pictures taken with the two girls and my buddy and I really didn't have any interest in it and were focused on the draft. Well things die down some and next thing we know we have these two good looking Indianapolis Colts cheerleaders standing at our table wanting us to come take a picture with them since we were the only ones with colts jerseys on. Well little did they know that asking us that opened up the door to my buddy and I flirting with them the rest of the night haha .I tried and tried and tried to get ones number saying things like "you know I think your phone took a better picture then mine your gunna have to text it too me" but she saw through all the lines hahahaha it probably didn't help my cause that she had a couple years on me but I tried like hell anyways and still have the pictures lol. It's not a crazy story but a funny one that will always stick out too me

Funny, my cousin asked out Miss Universe in similar circumstances for the simple reason that a guy's gotta try when presented with such an opportunity.  He told her so too.  She said, "Let's just say I have to wash my hair."

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I find it hard to believe neither kiper or Buchsbaum didn't have him rated somewhere in there draft reports.  Even in those days.

Not rated at all.     No mention of him.

I even looked for a Pittsburgh DL with a different name and there wasn't one.

I looked for a Buczkowski under a different school and no one.

It was a complete mystery to me.....    

Fortunately,  that type of thing doesn't happen anymore.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Consider he only played 21 games over parts of 3 years

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-04-30/sports/sp-2868_1_nfl-draft

"Nfl Draft : Raiders
April 30, 
His name is Bob Buczkowski (pronounced Buck-OW-ski), a 6-foot 5-inch, 273-pounder from Pitt. He was rated 23rd among defensive ends by Joel Buchsbaum's Scout's Notebook and 16th in Mel Kiper's Draft Report."

40 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-04-30/sports/sp-2868_1_nfl-draft

"Nfl Draft : Raiders
April 30, 
His name is Bob Buczkowski (pronounced Buck-OW-ski), a 6-foot 5-inch, 273-pounder from Pitt. He was rated 23rd among defensive ends by Joel Buchsbaum's Scout's Notebook and 16th in Mel Kiper's Draft Report."

Well....

It's hard to argue with that....    there it is in black and white.

All I can tell you is that I had multiple people check the books,  to double check me.    And no one found the name.

I don't know if Mark Heisler called Buchsbaum and Kiper and asked them about it,  and got it directly from them?      You could do that back then.       Maybe.   

I'm sorry I didn't keep my books 31 years later.     That certainly would've clarified things....

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....

It's hard to argue with that....    there it is in black and white.

All I can tell you is that I had multiple people check the books,  to double check me.    And no one found the name.

I don't know if Mark Heisler called Buchsbaum and Kiper and asked them about it,  and got it directly from them?      You could do that back then.       Maybe.   

I'm sorry I didn't keep my books 31 years later.     That certainly would've clarified things....

I remember the hoopla around him being drafted way ahead of where folks said he should be.    I don't remember anything else.  I just know those two guys are very thorough

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I remember the hoopla around him being drafted way ahead of where folks said he should be.    I don't remember anything else.  I just know those two guys are very thorough

They are very thorough,  that's why I bought their books every year.

This is very embarrassing obviously, and I've been trying to piece together what might've happened....

And the only thing I can figure is that I know Kiper had a very late news letter that would go out a few weeks before the draft with the latest info.     The book would go out roughly 6 weeks or so before the draft,  so this would be an update.

I don't recall if Buchsbaum had that,  but he certainly might have.     And I know I did NOT subscribe to those.    Perhaps I should have.     My hunch is Buckzkowski was a late riser and got updated in the newsletter.    That's the only thing that would make sense to me.     I can see missing a name in one book.     But in two?     No chance.   And, as I mentioned,  I had other people look for the name as well,  and they didn't find it either.     So,  there's a piece of the puzzle missing for me.      The newsletter is the only thing that adds up for me.

I saved the books for years,  but think I tossed them when I moved into the home I live in 21 years ago.     Now, I wish I had saved them.....

By way of background,  times were different....   both Buchsbaum and Kiper did their books and news letters out of their home.     You could call and order them and actually speak to them.     I actually wanted to work for Kiper,  but he said it was just a family operation.     His wife and father and mother helped him put it together,  he didn't have any staff.      Buchsbaum was an odd guy....   not made for TV (not good looking) and not made for radio (bad voice)  though he did a fair amount of that.     He was made for print and wrote in the bi-monthly magazine Pro Football Weekly.