Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Is Your Preferred Pm Scenario?

UndecidedFrog

Interesting, but your table is wrong in some areas as well. Cap acceleration does not work that way after June 1st. It doesn't neatly split in half.

"For any player removed from the Team’s roster or whose Contract is assigned via waivers or trade after June 1, except in the Final League Year, any unamor-tized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the next League Year"

and

Question 1.9b

If that is the case, why are so many players cut AFTER June 1?

Answer: After June 1, the team can stretch their salary cap liability over the next 2 seasons. Let's look at our example above, where a player signs a big contract for 4 years, including a $1 million signing bonus.

If the player is cut after the first year of the contract, the remaining $750,000 of the "un-amoratized" signing bonus hits the cap immediately (accelerates). However, if he is cut after June 1, the team can spread that money over Year 2 and 3 of the contract instead of taking the full brunt of the cap hit in Year 2.

Doing this will save $500,000 against the cap hit for Year 2.

Example:

Year

1 $250,000

2 $250,000

3 $250,000

4 $250,000

Cut before June 1st, $750,000 cap hit. Cut after $250,000 and then $500,000

and

Q: How does June 1st effect the rules for acceleration?

A: When a player is released after June 1st, only the current year's proration counts in the current year. The remaining prorations would count the following year. If we use the example in the previous question, the team would only be left with 1 million in dead money for year 3, but they would have 2 million in dead money for year 4. This is a way for a team to put off their cap problems for one more season before getting into trouble. Please note that this rule does not apply when a player is traded or waived.

and finally (out of thousands of examples on the web)

There is another Cap Concept that is critical to understand and it is called "Acceleration." June 1st is the key date for Acceleration because if you remove a player from your Roster prior to June 1st then all of his remaining "SB" and unpaid guarantees hit your Cap immediately. But if the change happens after June 1st then only the "originally scheduled / contracted" amounts hit your Cap with all remaining amounts hitting the following year [see Cowboys Dead money Table for examples]. A career ending injury to a star could force Acceleration and it is always a concern.

Some of that is questionable.manningcap1.jpg

Interesting, but your table is wrong in some areas as well. Cap acceleration does not work that way after June 1st. It doesn't neatly split in half.

"For any player removed from the Team’s roster or whose Contract is assigned via waivers or trade after June 1, except in the Final League Year, any unamor-tized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the next League Year"

and

Question 1.9b

If that is the case, why are so many players cut AFTER June 1?

Answer: After June 1, the team can stretch their salary cap liability over the next 2 seasons. Let's look at our example above, where a player signs a big contract for 4 years, including a $1 million signing bonus.

If the player is cut after the first year of the contract, the remaining $750,000 of the "un-amoratized" signing bonus hits the cap immediately (accelerates). However, if he is cut after June 1, the team can spread that money over Year 2 and 3 of the contract instead of taking the full brunt of the cap hit in Year 2.

Doing this will save $500,000 against the cap hit for Year 2.

Example:

Year

1 $250,000

2 $250,000

3 $250,000

4 $250,000

Cut before June 1st, $750,000 cap hit. Cut after $250,000 and then $500,000

and

Q: How does June 1st effect the rules for acceleration?

A: When a player is released after June 1st, only the current year's proration counts in the current year. The remaining prorations would count the following year. If we use the example in the previous question, the team would only be left with 1 million in dead money for year 3, but they would have 2 million in dead money for year 4. This is a way for a team to put off their cap problems for one more season before getting into trouble. Please note that this rule does not apply when a player is traded or waived.

and finally (out of thousands of examples on the web)

There is another Cap Concept that is critical to understand and it is called "Acceleration." June 1st is the key date for Acceleration because if you remove a player from your Roster prior to June 1st then all of his remaining "SB" and unpaid guarantees hit your Cap immediately. But if the change happens after June 1st then only the "originally scheduled / contracted" amounts hit your Cap with all remaining amounts hitting the following year [see Cowboys Dead money Table for examples]. A career ending injury to a star could force Acceleration and it is always a concern.

I don't know where you gathered your information, but I've used the most recent CBA.

My choice would be a mix of C and A2. Get his successor, make him familiar with the offense and how it works, re-negotiate the contract in order to get further high-skill players (especially for the defense) and....

.......give Luck (or RGIII or anybody else) reasonable playing time during the season.

You are mistaken. Peyton would be taking much more than a $6,6MM financial hit.

I'm not a math-lete. $6.6MM was not meant to stand for a sum I reached after fiddling with my abacus, but rather just an example of a large cash sum that Peyton wouldn’t get to put in his bank account. However, he could still benefit from it if it could be used to invest in FA veterans for his offensive line, especially if there was a certain player he personally wanted kept on the team because it would help him reach the playoffs and win a championship.

One idea is that to get Peyton to agree to less, you’d have to have something else he’d want, such as familiar passing targets and more passing time. It’s tricky arithmetic after that because then you’re dealing with negotiations with someone like Reggie Wayne, and I don’t know how much he’s asking for specifically. A start would be getting the option bonus brought down to $16.8 or less. If my math isn’t too rusty that might bring the pro-rated option bonus cap hit down to $2.8 for the remaining 4 years. Let’s say negotiations between Reggie and Irsay are stuck at something that $1.5 would solve. There’s that available money. And Manning could have both Garcon and Wayne as passing targets, as a result. The organization and Peyton both benefit.

Just one idea.

SCENARIO 2: Colts cut Manning before 3/8/12

Manning will receive $0 payment in 2012.

However, the cap hit will be $16,000,000 (due to the remainder of the hit for his signing bonus)

The cap hit in 2012 in this scenario will be $10.4MM. You forgot the credit of $5.6MM (pro-rated portion of the option bonus) that was accounted for in the 2011 cap hit, which reduces the other accelerated portions.

SCENARIO 4: Colts cut or trade Manning between 6/1/12 and the start of football.

Manning will receive $28,000,000 from the Colts along with that seasons base salary from the other team if traded.

The cap hit would be $9,600,000 in 2012 and yet another $28,800,000 in 2013.

In this scenario, the cap hits will be $19.2MM for 2012 and $19.2MM for 2013.

I personally don't care what happens with the #1 pick. If it wasn't for manning this team would have been in a 13 year slump. Jim, don't bite the hand that feeds you. Peyton made irsay a lot of money and put indy on the map as a football community. After many years of dedication and winning on peyton's part, I feel like Jim owes it to peyton to pay him even being unsure of his health. So what if he never gets back to his former level of greatness, if he wants to play in indy that's what should happen. I know its complicated but peyton has earned the right to try to make a full recovery IN A COLTS UNIFORM! Take a risk on the next few years for peyton, don't disrespect him whatever you do. I understand that many of you will disagree with this but thats the way I feel. Be honest with me, if peyton had never came to indy, would some of you have even been football fans? You'd probably been worried about the pacers right now. Jim, pay the man!

I have been a Colts fan for 63 years and will die a Colts fan, but I just don't see Peyton winning another SB with the Colts. As much as I would like to see him retire with the Colts I would really rather see him win another SB, I just don't see that happening with the Colts. So I guess I would rather see him go to another team that has everything but a QB in order to add another SB to his resume.

Regardless of where he goes I'm still a dedicated Colts fan but I'm also a PM fan.

I regard PM the greatest since Johnny Unitas, I really don't think Brady or anyone else comes close,

Thats my opinion and I will stick with it.

I have been a Colts fan for 63 years and will die a Colts fan, but I just don't see Peyton winning another SB with the Colts. As much as I would like to see him retire with the Colts I would really rather see him win another SB, I just don't see that happening with the Colts. So I guess I would rather see him go to another team that has everything but a QB in order to add another SB to his resume.

Regardless of where he goes I'm still a dedicated Colts fan but I'm also a PM fan.

I regard PM the greatest since Johnny Unitas, I really don't think Brady or anyone else comes close,

Thats my opinion and I will stick with it.

I definitely agree kspmaint. I'm both a colts and manning fan. If it takes manning going to another team in order for him to win a couple more superbowls then i'm for it. He deserves to have his legacy cemented with a couple more SB rings. It will still be hard to see him in a different jersey though.

I have to disagree with you kspmaint and Manning1815. I think Manning could win a SB with the Colts, especially after all the changes that have been made on staff. The staff changes all the way down to strength conditioning coach as well as the effort to bring more balance on both sides of the ball have been a wish list for fans that have asked what needed to be done for Peyton to win another SB.

I think our team has heart as well as talent, a never-give-up mentality. We also have receivers like Collie that have developed a rapport with Peyton for years. And a guy like Peyton who is very particular about details might want a team that has familiar mechanisms already in place, especially if it takes the greater part of the summer and preseason to get back to 100%.

I don't know where you gathered your information, but I've used the most recent CBA.

No where in the CBA does it state the values for June 1st acceleration are 50%/50%. In fact its not supported anywhere.

I qouted the current CBA:

For any player removed from the Team’s roster or whose Contract is assigned via waivers or trade after June 1, except in the Final League Year, any unamor-tized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the next League Year"

Translation: Normal cap hit that year + all the rest next year. Not 50%/50%

Scenario A1: Keep PM, even with the current uncertainty about his performance ability (nerve/arm issue), by paying PM the $28MM option bonus due March 8. Trade the #1 overall pick and get a boatload of other draft picks with which to fill holes to improve the team.

Scenario A2: Try to keep PM, even with the current uncertainty about his performance ability (nerve/arm issue), by not paying PM the $28MM option bonus due March 8, release PM and negotiate a new, reduced contract with him before April 26. If this is done, trade the #1 overall pick and get a boatload of other draft picks with which to fill holes to improve the team (default to scenario A1). If this cannot be done, use the #1 overall pick to draft PM's replacement at QB (default to scenario B).

Scenario B: Release PM before the option bonus is due, and use the #1 overall pick to draft PM's replacement at QB.

Scenario C: Keep PM, even with the current uncertainty about his performance ability (nerve/arm issue), by paying PM the $28MM option bonus due March 8. And, use the #1 overall pick to draft PM's eventual replacement at QB.

Scenario D: Keep PM, even with the current uncertainty about his performance ability (nerve/arm issue), by paying PM the $28MM option bonus due March 8. Use the #1 overall pick to draft a highly-rated non-QB prospect to fill a position of need.

Please provide your ranked preferences.

Thanks.

SCENARIO C

That's the smallest risk..in regards to success on the field...and highest reward.....

With Manning and Luck.....we have an upgrade in QB next season...

..and the excitement level about the Colts jacks up to Tebow-level