Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jared C 2nd Mock draft

Since now we know that Chris Ballard is the GM and Pagano is still the HC, it seems like a good time to do my 2nd mock draft. I will again do no trades this time (save them for next time when we get the 14th or 15th pick), but I will include the compensatory pick in the 4th round (everyone says we are getting it), and will exclude the 7th we gave away. So here's the draft.

1.) Solomon Thomas DE: With Chris Ballard as our new GM, anything goes. I think Thomas could potentially be the best defensive player in the draft. He's a 4-3 DE, but he can also play 3-4 OLB most likely, and we aren't purely one or the other with our schemes, so he could do both as a full-time starter when he has too. He's fast and powerful, and can get to the QB with ease. Love his hands, and he's a natural athlete. Decent chance he makes it to 14 or 15.

2.) Jarrad Davis ILB: We need a leader in the LB crew, and Jarrad Davis is exactly that in spades. Potential to become an elite LB, he's the classic Colt that is a leader, works hard, and has great character. Can tackle well, can get to the QB if needed, has surprising speed, and is an overall great player. His only downfall is the injuries he's had and the lack of playing time. A steal IMO, in the 2nd round, however, that would fortify the LB corps.

3.) Chidobe Awuzie CB: From Colorado and have seen him play. What I love about Awuzie is that he is always part of the action. Whether is he breaking up a pass, getting a tackle, getting a sack (yes, he gets a bunch of them), or just gets a tackle for loss, Awuzie is always near the football and making the most of any opportunity given to him. Definitely someone I want as a slot receiver on this team that can open up the entire playbook on defense for this Indianapolis Colts team.

4a.) Joe Mixon RB: This is where I'm able to take a risk with Grigson gone and Ballard in. No idea if Ballard would take Mixon in the draft, but I know Grigson wouldn't, so it's more of a possibility than before. The Kid is an absolutely insane overall football player. He can run, catch, and return the ball. He is a big play guy with 6 plays of over 60 yards. He has the vision and patience to get through holes easily, along with breakaway speed, which can equal craziness when you have to respect Andrew Luck and the passing game. Could end up biting us in the behind, but I'm willing to risk it for a 4th rounder.

4b.) Kareem Hunt RB: Kind of an insurance pick to Mixon, but a solid RB in his own right, Kareem Hunt could complete the RB tandem of the future for the Indianapolis Colts. He is very good at eluding tacklers, another RB with vision and cut moves we could use. Can catch the ball decently and has very nice size. Has a solid YPC and YPG average. Scores TDs seemingly very easy as well. Can be used as our goal line back, or as an RB that catches screens and bulldozes through defenders.

5.) Vince Beigel OLB: This is the diamond in the rough, type of kid, that could be the best pick of the entire draft for the Colts. Love this kid. He is a leader and team captain that loves football and will always keep everyone engaged. He is always in the game, having some affect in the game. Can get leverage against bigger defenders, can read plays almost flawlessly, very intelligent, family all played football. Gets to the QB and ball, very good at delivering sacks, TFLs, and tackling in general.

6.) Fabian Moreau CB: I struggled choosing someone with our 6th round pick, but settled on Moreau after seeing him in the East/West shrine game. He looked like a physical receiver that can play against both the run and pass. Saw him break up some passes, and I know he switched positions, I want to say, his freshman year to CB.

Looked like he was learning well. Has 36 starts, but could be a diamond in the rough in the 6th round.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You're low balling Moreau. Mayock said he's probably a first rounder which I think is a little too high but third round is where I have him in one of my mocks. I've seen him go as high as round 3 in some mock games though

I very well may be. I've only seen him play in the East/West shrine game. Know very little about him and was intrigued by his game. I know he was ranked very low and wasn't aware of how high his stock boosted from that game.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I very well may be. I've only seen him play in the East/West shrine game. Know very little about him and was intrigued by his game. I know he was ranked very low and wasn't aware of how high his stock boosted from that game.

Yeah he's been a riser. He's a long corner at 6'0" with long arms. Pops on tape when you watch Takk McKinley. Has good ball skills too. I know he was also invited to the Senior Bowl but didn't go because he was hurt. You should definitely watch his tape though.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah he's been a riser. He's a long corner at 6'0" with long arms. Pops on tape when you watch Takk McKinley. Has good ball skills too. I know he was also invited to the Senior Bowl but didn't go because he was hurt. You should definitely watch his tape though.

If I have some extra time, I'll do that today.

I think that there is a better chance that we grab "character concern" guys like Mixon in this draft or, to a lesser degree, Tim Williams...

KC has had success with these types of players, like Peters, for example. I can't say that I'd like to have a guy who did what Mixon did on the team, but I do think that GMs make mistakes on the character portion of evaluation and that some players are definitely worth the risk.  

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Since now we know that Chris Ballard is the GM and Pagano is still the HC, it seems like a good time to do my 2nd mock draft. I will again do no trades this time (save them for next time when we get the 14th or 15th pick), but I will include the compensatory pick in the 4th round (everyone says we are getting it), and will exclude the 7th we gave away. So here's the draft.

1.) Solomon Thomas DE: With Chris Ballard as our new GM, anything goes. I think Thomas could potentially be the best defensive player in the draft. He's a 4-3 DE, but he can also play 3-4 OLB most likely, and we aren't purely one or the other with our schemes, so he could do both as a full-time starter when he has too. He's fast and powerful, and can get to the QB with ease. Love his hands, and he's a natural athlete. Decent chance he makes it to 14 or 15.

2.) Jarrad Davis ILB: We need a leader in the LB crew, and Jarrad Davis is exactly that in spades. Potential to become an elite LB, he's the classic Colt that is a leader, works hard, and has great character. Can tackle well, can get to the QB if needed, has surprising speed, and is an overall great player. His only downfall is the injuries he's had and the lack of playing time. A steal IMO, in the 2nd round, however, that would fortify the LB corps.

3.) Chidobe Awuzie CB: From Colorado and have seen him play. What I love about Awuzie is that he is always part of the action. Whether is he breaking up a pass, getting a tackle, getting a sack (yes, he gets a bunch of them), or just gets a tackle for loss, Awuzie is always near the football and making the most of any opportunity given to him. Definitely someone I want as a slot receiver on this team that can open up the entire playbook on defense for this Indianapolis Colts team.

4a.) Joe Mixon RB: This is where I'm able to take a risk with Grigson gone and Ballard in. No idea if Ballard would take Mixon in the draft, but I know Grigson wouldn't, so it's more of a possibility than before. The Kid is an absolutely insane overall football player. He can run, catch, and return the ball. He is a big play guy with 6 plays of over 60 yards. He has the vision and patience to get through holes easily, along with breakaway speed, which can equal craziness when you have to respect Andrew Luck and the passing game. Could end up biting us in the behind, but I'm willing to risk it for a 4th rounder.

4b.) Kareem Hunt RB: Kind of an insurance pick to Mixon, but a solid RB in his own right, Kareem Hunt could complete the RB tandem of the future for the Indianapolis Colts. He is very good at eluding tacklers, another RB with vision and cut moves we could use. Can catch the ball decently and has very nice size. Has a solid YPC and YPG average. Scores TDs seemingly very easy as well. Can be used as our goal line back, or as an RB that catches screens and bulldozes through defenders.

5.) Vince Beigel OLB: This is the diamond in the rough, type of kid, that could be the best pick of the entire draft for the Colts. Love this kid. He is a leader and team captain that loves football and will always keep everyone engaged. He is always in the game, having some affect in the game. Can get leverage against bigger defenders, can read plays almost flawlessly, very intelligent, family all played football. Gets to the QB and ball, very good at delivering sacks, TFLs, and tackling in general.

6.) Fabian Moreau CB: I struggled choosing someone with our 6th round pick, but settled on Moreau after seeing him in the East/West shrine game. He looked like a physical receiver that can play against both the run and pass. Saw him break up some passes, and I know he switched positions, I want to say, his freshman year to CB.

Looked like he was learning well. Has 36 starts, but could be a diamond in the rough in the 6th round.

You have two interesting names very late.

I think Beigel projects much higher than a 5.    I see him as a 3 or 4.

And, believe it not,  Moreau was getting raves from Jeremiah and Manock at the Shrine game.    They said he was showing 1st round skills and they didn't think he'd get out of the 2nd round.       Seriously.

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have two interesting names very late.

I think Beigel projects much higher than a 5.    I see him as a 3 or 4.

And, believe it not,  Moreau was getting raves from Jeremiah and Manock at the Shrine game.    They said he was showing 1st round skills and they didn't think he'd get out of the 2nd round.       Seriously.

Beigel I've been seeing before as around a 4th, so I took a chance in the 5th. Haven't seen him go in the 3rd yet. If he does, I'll definitely update it. Thanks for telling me that, however. Moreau I was talking to DefJam about and he told me something similar. I'm definitely going to rewatch him a bit to see how his stock rose so high. If he's going that high, I have no problem replacing him in the next mock I do. Sometimes you are way off on someone, and it looks like I was this time.

21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Beigel I've been seeing before as around a 4th, so I took a chance in the 5th. Haven't seen him go in the 3rd yet. If he does, I'll definitely update it. Thanks for telling me that, however. Moreau I was talking to DefJam about and he told me something similar. I'm definitely going to rewatch him a bit to see how his stock rose so high. If he's going that high, I have no problem replacing him in the next mock I do. Sometimes you are way off on someone, and it looks like I was this time.

The Moreau info is very late.....     I know I posted about it here,  but you and others may not have seen it.

Not a problem.     There's so much info that no one catches everything....     if I find it again,  I'll link it so you can see it....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

The Moreau info is very late.....     I know I posted about it here,  but you and others may not have seen it.

Not a problem.     There's so much info that no one catches everything....     if I find it again,  I'll link it so you can see it....

Thanks, I appreciate it!

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thanks, I appreciate it!

About a minute into this tape Moreau is reviewed by Jeremiah....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776708/article/jadar-johnson-joe-williams-among-top-shrine-game-standouts

But this isn't the tape that I first saw where Jeremiah gave him his highest praise....   said Moreau was making everything look "easy"....       in scouts language,  that's among the highest praise you can give....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

About a minute into this tape Moreau is reviewed by Jeremiah....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776708/article/jadar-johnson-joe-williams-among-top-shrine-game-standouts

But this isn't the tape that I first saw where Jeremiah gave him his highest praise....   said Moreau was making everything look "easy"....       in scouts language,  that's among the highest praise you can give....

Awesome! I'll check it out! Many thanks!

Interesting draft.

I personally don't like Solomon Thomas. He's talented for sure. But he lines up inside for Stanford the majority of the time. I just don't see the scheme fit. I don't think he's ever been a stand up rusher. I think there will be pass rushers available with better scheme fits at #14.

Jarrad Davis is a 1st round player to me right now unless I hear different. He's been getting a lot of buzz and I think he'll continue to rise. Love the player but I don't think he makes it out of the first. I'd look for him to take an Eric Kendricks-style trajectory into the early 20's. A good alternative might be Anthony Walker from Northwestern. I think he has a much better shot at being around and is a 3 down starter due to his skills against the run and the pass.

I just don't see Awuzie as a starter. He's solid in coverage but he has absolutely no tackling ability even by CFB standards. He might be good against the pass but he'd be a liability in run support. Someone like Gareon Conley, Jourdan Lewis or Fabian Moreau could feasibly all fall to around here and might be good options around here due to the depth at corner this year.

Joe Mixon is a good player, he's likely around a 3rd rounder right now and does have potential to be a starter. He is not infallible though. There are character concerns stemming from an incident in which he punched a woman back in 2014. He issued a tearful apology, but it will be interesting to see how that's handled by Ballard during pre-draft interviews. If he checks out though, he's a good change of pace back for Gore. He needs to learn some more urgency running inside, but he'd be an elite level receiver out of the backfield. It would be an interesting pick and a year learning from Gore would do wonders for him.

I'll be honest and say that unless we for some reason cut Frank Gore, which seems unlikely since he isn't exorbitantly expensive or a complete liability, I don't see a reason to take more than 1 RB. I think we resign Turbin due to his short-yardage and goal-line prowess. I think a RB corps of Gore - Mixon - Turbin would be good enough for next year. I think you could better use this pick elsewhere.

Beigel is interesting. I love his leadership and intensity. He works as a pass rusher and against the run which was a pleasant surprise. He's not a speedy edge bender, he seems to get by on motor and sheer will. He'll be a demon on special teams early on while we try and polish his technique. Solid pick if he's there.

Since I suggested Moreau as an alternate in the 3rd, and he may not even make it there. I think another corner at this juncture is a good idea, but I highly doubt it will be Moreau.

A few really good picks. Good work, sir.