Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucky Brooks lists top-5 at each position....

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course I think it's a major need.    I've only been posting that for nearly a year!    

Look at the NFL,  you can find a franchise back well after the first round.     It's all over the league.

We can find a good quality back after the first round.    Even all the way down in R4, which is my desired spot.

Put another way,  I think in another thread,  you voiced your approval for Mike Shannahan to be our HC.    Mike is famous for finding a good RB in the late rounds....   most typically R6.   

Good RB's can be found later....    you need to repeat this mantra in your head daily until it sinks in....   

If we had Mike Shanahan I would be much more comfortable with that philosophy,  but we don't. ..

23 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If we had Mike Shanahan I would be much more comfortable with that philosophy,  but we don't. ..

I just wish we'd be more about the Mantras we say we are about.  Running the football and stopping the run.  Put extra emphasis in to make sure that's what we stand for.

20 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Everybody brings up trich...Other than him name some other 1st round backs that BUSTED in last 5 years? I can give you a giant list of linebackers or cornerbacks or defensive linemen etc etc...The odds of a first round rb busting are much slimmer than any other position because they are special players to be considered in the first..That is my point..

Of course you'll have a larger list of "failed" or "disapponting" LB, CB, and DL than I will of RB. For one, that's your 3 position groups against my one. Also, there are MANY more of each of those individual positions taken in the first than RB. There were 0 RB taken in the first round 2013 and 2014. Since then there's been:

Todd Gurley who balled out his rookie year but struggled this year.

Melvin Gordon who struggled his rookie year but had a good year this year.

Zeke Elliot who had an amazing rookie year due in part to the best O-Line in the league.

Would you say any of these backs were worth first round picks: David Wilson, CJ Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Jahvid Best, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells.

That's every first round back from 09 to 2012 excluding T-Rich since we've already covered him, and Doug Martin and Mark Ingram who have had good careers, though their value in the first round is still debateable. You're suffering from an extreme case of recency bias.

I won't have a problem if we pick either of the top 2 backs at our pick, but the defense needs a lot more TLC than the offense. Even if we get a Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette, this is still going to be Luck's team and I'm not sure the back will get enough touches to justify the mid first round pick. Defense would be the ideal pick.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I just wish we'd be more about the Mantras we say we are about.  Running the football and stopping the run.  Put extra emphasis in to make sure that's what we stand for.

If our o-line continues to develop which it should under Philbin and Anderson is back to his old self and Lankford is healthy that should help a lot on it's own...I don't necessarily want to be a ground and pound on offense, that is counterproductive to the talent we have..I do want us to a least be a threat though, so the playaction is more effective,   and have the ability to be able to run when we need to...

10 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Of course you'll have a larger list of "failed" or "disapponting" LB, CB, and DL than I will of RB. For one, that's your 3 position groups against my one. Also, there are MANY more of each of those individual positions taken in the first than RB. There were 0 RB taken in the first round 2013 and 2014. Since then there's been:

Todd Gurley who balled out his rookie year but struggled this year.

Melvin Gordon who struggled his rookie year but had a good year this year.

Zeke Elliot who had an amazing rookie year due in part to the best O-Line in the league.

Would you say any of these backs were worth first round picks: David Wilson, CJ Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Jahvid Best, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells.

That's every first round back from 09 to 2012 excluding T-Rich since we've already covered him, and Doug Martin and Mark Ingram who have had good careers, though their value in the first round is still debateable. You're suffering from an extreme case of recency bias.

I won't have a problem if we pick either of the top 2 backs at our pick, but the defense needs a lot more TLC than the offense. Even if we get a Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette, this is still going to be Luck's team and I'm not sure the back will get enough touches to justify the mid first round pick. Defense would be the ideal pick.

I love, Love, LOVE this post!        :heart:

So,  I'm sending this your way.....         :colts:

The only thing I don't like about this post is that I didn't write it!     :thmup:          :peek:  

17 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If our o-line continues to develop which it should under Philbin and Anderson is back to his old self and Lankford is healthy that should help a lot on it's own...I don't necessarily want to be a ground and pound on offense, that is counterproductive to the talent we have..I do want us to a least be a threat though, so the playaction is more effective,   and have the ability to be able to run when we need to...

Ground and pound ain't what I mean.  What I mean is do it consistently and be good at it when you have to rely on it because there are points when you need it.  Cowboys are great at the run, but will use Romo or Dak in a minute.  Just want people to respect our running game.  Want a pick your poison type situation going on.  That's very hard to stop when a team can run well and pass well.

35 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ground and pound ain't what I mean.  What I mean is do it consistently and be good at it when you have to rely on it because there are points when you need it.  Cowboys are great at the run, but will use Romo or Dak in a minute.  Just want people to respect our running game.  Want a pick your poison type situation going on.  That's very hard to stop when a team can run well and pass well.

You know I want a rb bad...Teams don't fear Gore or have to gameplan for him...Every now and then he'll Break one for 8 yards smh..I agree with ya..We need a back to be able to become that though in my opinion..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

You know I want a rb bad...Teams don't fear Gore or have to gameplan for him...Every now and then he'll Break one for 8 yards smh..I agree with ya..We need a back to be able to become that though in my opinion..

Still think we need one more piece on that line along with that back.  We ain't far off though.  I think I'm going to jump off a bridge or something if they go into the season talking about starting Josh Ferguson. "Oh he's really improved this offseason!"  I can just see it now!

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Still think we need one more piece on that line along with that back.  We ain't far off though.  I think I'm going to jump off a bridge or something if they go into the season talking about starting Josh Ferguson. "Oh he's really improved this offseason!"  I can just see it now!

They better not pull that crap..Wouldn't shock me at all though...

13 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

They better not pull that crap..Wouldn't shock me at all though...

No,   no worries....

Ferguson may turn into a nice 3rd down receiving threat....    and a kick return guy....

But he is NOT an every down back.      He will improve this off-season,  but we're not turning him into a 3-down back......  certainly not a 3-down STARTING back.      Not a chance.

Especially not with the best class of running backs anyone can remember in a long, long time.

We're going to get our RB of the future out of this class.     It will not be Josh Ferguson.

Do not lose a minutes sleep over that one!      

11 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

"They" is a figure of speech here in Indiana..That was really unnecessary  California...

First....      I don't know where you live....   you telling me now it's in Indiana is the first I've heard of it.

Second....     Please don't take offense when I do things like that....    I'm only trying to be as accurate as I can be....  as specific as I can....     I'm not trying to belittle you or make fun of you.    Really, I'm not.    I'm just trying to be specific.    I don't mean to overdo it....    it's just my Journalism DNA that kicks in from time to time!

Takkarist McKinley has opted out of the Senior Bowl because he has a torn right labrum in his shoulder. 
It may require surgery. He's undecided if he will get surgery. Would get it after combine.

Player has been projected in the 1st round for multiple mocks. Will likely effect his stock because of this great draft class.

Colts take him in the 2nd now?

12 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Let me put this in metaphorical form in the hope you and others can understand my position...The odds of Fournette or Cook making an Elliot or Laveon Bell impact on our team are much higher then say taking an OLB at 15..That OLB could easily be another Dion Jordan or Mingo and basically be a bust...I seriously doubt Fournette or Cook bust unless they get hurt...If we get Cook or Fournette we are a top 5 offense and will average 30 points a game and will allow our defense to rest and play with the lead which has a major impact on defense..Also, if we average 30 a game we are in every ballgame much like the Manning era Colts...It usually takes linebackers time to develop if they even develop at all..We have 5 other  rounds in the draft to focus solely on defense as well as free agency.....I doubt Pittsburgh or Dallas are kicking themselves wishing they had taken a CB instead of Bell or Elliott. ..For every David Johnson or Alfred Morris, there are 10 Kenyan Drakes or Josh Robinsons'....Can you see the forest through the trees yet?

The '30 points per game' and 'alow the defense' to rest arguments were used last year to justify a center helping out the defense in some strange way. Worked a treat didn't it?

With the state our defense is in our only option is to pour as mush resource as possible into it. Whether that be salary cap space or high draft picks.

There are busts with every position. We can't be afraid of this.

This off season we really do have to say no to the 'O'

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Takkarist McKinley has opted out of the Senior Bowl because he has a torn right labrum in his shoulder. 
It may require surgery. He's undecided if he will get surgery. Would get it after combine.

Player has been projected in the 1st round for multiple mocks. Will likely effect his stock because of this great draft class.

Colts take him in the 2nd now?

I view this as very bad news.....    I'm fearful this could turn into what happened with a couple of defenders last year....    there was a big kid from Clemson...   a DE or OLB....    and he had a shoulder problem....    I think he slipped to high in the 2nd round and didn't play much, if at all this year.

Then, of course, Myles Jack,  the OLB from UCLA.    He was supposed to have a bad knee and around this time he was calling those rumors ridiculous....      he did most but not all of the drills at his pro day,  but passed on the combine.     But his medical revealed the knee problem was very real.      So, he slipped from top-5/10 in the draft to top-5/10 in the 2nd round.       I think he missed almost the entire season, but I think he did play in the last game of the season against the Colts.

Even if McKinney falls to us in the 2nd round can this franchise afford to take a 2nd rounder that might miss a big chunk of the '17 season?      I hope his surgery goes well and his medical check out....    I'm very disappointed to learn this......

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I view this as very bad news.....    I'm fearful this could turn into what happened with a couple of defenders last year....    there was a big kid from Clemson...   a DE or OLB....    and he had a shoulder problem....    I think he slipped to high in the 2nd round and didn't play much, if at all this year.

Then, of course, Myles Jack,  the OLB from UCLA.    He was supposed to have a bad knee and around this time he was calling those rumors ridiculous....      he did most but not all of the drills at his pro day,  but passed on the combine.     But his medical revealed the knee problem was very real.      So, he slipped from top-5/10 in the draft to top-5/10 in the 2nd round.       I think he missed almost the entire season, but I think he did play in the last game of the season against the Colts.

Even if McKinney falls to us in the 2nd round can this franchise afford to take a 2nd rounder that might miss a big chunk of the '17 season?      I hope his surgery goes well and his medical check out....    I'm very disappointed to learn this......

Yeah I read this too, not sure McKinley wont recover quickly though and have a good Rookie Season? Hard to tell. It's we are walking on egg shells with this Draft and have to nail it to improve. A lot of picks will be risks. I wouldn't put it past Grigs to take Cook in Round 1 and then just load up on LB's/Pass Rushers in the next rounds to be. Cook would take so much pressure off of Andrew and is capable of being a big name RB in the NFL with his talent. Our O.Line is still iffy but I thought it improved in the last few games. Gore actually had some running room at times as well.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah I have no idea man.. all we can do is wait for the combine and find out more information. It is some cruddy news.