Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade Manning And 2 1St Rnd And A 2Nd Picks For Luck?

Kyle

I think loyalty has to go both ways though, as in any relationship.

Of course it does, and if Irsay came out and said "By the way guys, I only picked Collins to start ahead of Luck and Manning because I wanted to annoy you *" then it would be different.

Or Cleveland would just keep all those picks since they are so valuable and they are trying to build a team as well......But thats never been an option 'round here...... :scratch:

What Colts fans want. Colts fans get. Do what we say Cleveland! :shout:

I know there are many threads on this but I have never read it quite like I look at it. Just wanted to give my opinion and then here some responses.

Bottom line is we have a choice here. As of now we have Manning and the #1 pick.

We could draft Luck and release Manning but the trade value of the 1st pick is AT LEAST 2 1st round picks and a 2nd. So the choice is Luck or Manning and 3 picks. Basically by drafting Luck we would be trading Manning, 2 1st rnd, and a 2nd for him.

Without the media trying to spin this into peyton retiring, all signs point towards him playing this year. I just dont see how giving up Manning, 2 1st round, and a 2nd for Luck makes sense.

Someone please tell me why Luck is a better choice than Manning and 3 new studs....

I'm not sure what "signs" you are speaking of, but all the "signs" I've seen and heard are pointing toward Manning NOT playing this year.

This is the same old argument .

IMO, unless we are SURE Manning will play, we have to assume he won't.

If I'm humoring the question, a 100% HEALTHY manning is more desireable than Luck, 2 1st rd picks, and a 2nd AT FACE VALUE. However, this isn't the case.

Besides, even a 100% healthy Manning is only good for another 3 or 4 years.... max.

Add to this new GM, HC, OC, DC, ST, etc, etc, and I'm not sure next year is a legitimate Super bowl run even with a healthy manning.

I've decided to not speculate until the beginning of march until we see how manning's health is. Which, by EVERYONE's opinion which have any expertise or knowledge (meaning not us fans) does not look optimistic. Until we see how his "health" is, we are all just wasting our time.

However, all the "signs" are pointing to this being the end, and not just playing for the Colts.

First of all....they cannot renegotiate a new deal within the same league year regardless of whether Peyton wants to or not. That is part of the reason we're in this mess, besides of course his injury.

And the bonus clause that has us in this impossible March 8th timeframe was reportedly at the insistence of Manning and his agent Tom Condon....not the team.

As far as being QB-centric....we're not doing that by merely drafting Andrew Luck with the 1st pick instead of trading down. If we pick Luck we can be reasonably sure Peyton will have been released and we are in a 100% rebuild. Someone has to play QB and IMO Luck is the best guy to draft for that...and he much more than any other QB prospect has operated a very balanced offense, including calling and audibling plays.

To your concern, and its a fair one....if we do draft Luck and then continue to pay little or no attention to a credible and consistent rushing attack along with acquiring O-linemen who primarily pass block, and then pass the ball 40-50 times a game.... then yes, we would be back to the VERY pass-heavy offense we've had with Peyton, which whether anyone wants to acknowledge or not, costed us 1-2 playoff games. I highly doubt we will repeat that mistake.

But there is plenty of room for different opinions on whether to select Luck or trade the pick and draft 4-5 other prospects. IMO.... we have a full rebuild under way and with the nbew rookie salary cap, I highly prefer we start with drafting Luck but also building a well-balanced team, which that rookie cap should help us do.

Yea, what I've learned thru this whole thing is that Condon and manning know how to dot all the "I's' and cross all the "T's".

You can't really blame them for that, but that is, in part, what has us in this "no-win" situation.

Also, even if manning was 100% healthy, the team was looking at "the future" QB this year anyway. Polian said they were looking at dalton last year.

We are all getting too wrapped up in "either-or" manning/Luck when that REALLY isn't the heart of the issue.

The issue is really the uncertainty of Manning's health and the way the contract was written that really doesn't allow the team much of a choice.

IMO.

We are all getting too wrapped up in "either-or" manning/Luck when that REALLY isn't the heart of the issue.

The issue is really the uncertainty of Manning's health and the way the contract was written that really doesn't allow the team much of a choice.

Spot on. The Colts have to place a bet on March 7th based on their knowledge of Peyton's health and his ability to return to form. We already know he's no quitter and always does the work to reach his goals. I'm placing my bet on 18 blue.