Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Is Peyton's House

bap1331

IF he can still play at a top level (e.g. like pre-injury), wouldn't he want to release the doctor's diagnosis and prognosis, or the personal trainer's notes on his healing progress?

Wouldn't he want everyone to know that there have been other successful recoveries from the type of injury he sustained?

Wouldn't he want everyone to see the success rates of the type of surgeries that he has undergone?

If all this information points to the notion that he can still play at a top level, why not show this?

My rational guess is that not all the information points that way.

No because that just creates false hope no one in indy is going to say anything until it is 100 percent sure, releasing all of that just fuels the media fire. I understand as a fan you'd love for the team to do all of that, but when have the colts ever been that type of team. Just look at how the harrison injury was handled

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No because that just creates false hope no one in indy is going to say anything until it is 100 percent sure, releasing all of that just fuels the media fire. I understand as a fan you'd love for the team to do all of that, but when have the colts ever been that type of team. Just look at how the harrison injury was handled

I understand why the Colts organization will keep things hush hush.

However, the result will be exactly what we all experience here on these forums.,,,lots of emotional speculation.

Reading the 2 links in post 1 of that thread will go a long way in explaining it.

It's basically a 1 year deal(2011) with a 4 year extension that starts with the option bonus.

OK, I read both linked articles and I'm a bit clearer. Either way the option gets paid, if Manning stays, gets traded, goes FA or retires, right? That's not much of an option, it's more like he paid to be able to decide at the end of the year. Or is that why it's an OPTION, Irsay has the option to keep Manning or move on based on current circumstances.

OK, I read both linked articles and I'm a bit clearer. Either way the option gets paid, if Manning stays, gets traded, goes FA or retires, right? That's not much of an option, it's more like he paid to be able to decide at the end of the year. Or is that why it's an OPTION, Irsay has the option to keep Manning or move on based on current circumstances.

No. The Colts can decide not to pay the option bonus of $28MM due March 8, by releasing/cutting Peyton. In effect, this will make Peyton a FA. That is why they called it an option bonus.

Don't be confused here this is Indiana's stadium. Peyton has done many many things for the horseshoe but it's a team game plain and simple. If we would of passed on pm we would of been bad a few years but we would of got a diff qb and who is to say that he wouldn't of won 1 or more super bowls. This business won't fail just because one player leaves. We are heading into a new direction in indy, it's very exciting and we would love everyone's support but I understand some fans are going to take it personal but I guarantee once luck starts winning you will buy your bus pass and be right back on the bandwagon.

Go blue

I am SO annoyed with the rules and regs on newbies here, I'm not a newbie but I can't get my account to work and all I want to do is try to understand this mess our team is in. So, in an effort to 'get it' I'm hijacking this thread. I just don't understand the draft and salary caps and such, I'm SO sick of the media and all the rumors and opinions and NO FACTS being offered by management. I read and read thread after thread and I still don't get it.

Can anyone here please explain, in laymans terms what is going on with #18 PLEASE??? Why is the March bonus such a big deal? If they pay him don't that mean they intend to keep him? If they don't aren't they breaking contract? Is there something in his contract about a health status that would allow him to be let go regardless of the bonus? I am about to go read this thread http://forums.colts....to-keep-peyton/

and hope I can make it make sense but I'm not holding out much hope. I love the whole game of football and I've been a Colts fan since the day they came to Indy in the early years. I remember Peyton from his college days and was thrilled when we drafted him and until this year thing kept getting better but this drama has soured me on our head office. Irsay says to keep it 'in the house' yet he tweets like a 12 year old with misleading ^cowpatties^. Every day I wake up and expect to read the news that Manning is gone, either they forced him out or flat out paid him to leave. I understand if he's hurt and can't play without risking his health for life then it's time to retire but to let him go on a maybe or a what if situation will destroy so much of what has been built over 13 years the team may never be the same. I'm not a fair weather fan, I'll still be here but will never again trust anyone behind the scenes when it's the guys on the field that are out there busting their a***** week after week making THEM the money to spend and now with one good bump in the road Irsay wants to bail. Letting go of Manning, Wayne, Deim, Saturday and Mathis will essentially be a total rebuild and I don't see that going all too well, in fact I almost hope it doesn't then Irsay will truly reap the rewards of the ^fool^ic decisions he's made.

OK, I've gone on too long, disregarded all punctuation and grammar and I promise my next post won't sound like I'm crazy but if anyone can please dumb down an explanation to help me understand I'd appreciate it SO much. Thanks, in advance.

One of the reasons we have limitations for new members is to stop creation of duplicate threads.

The answers to your questions are all over these boards. Try this http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/4819-the-peyton-predicament-by-andrew-brandt-can-the-colts-afford-to-keep-peyton/

Don't be confused here this is Indiana's stadium. Peyton has done many many things for the horseshoe but it's a team game plain and simple. If we would of passed on pm we would of been bad a few years but we would of got a diff qb and who is to say that he wouldn't of won 1 or more super bowls. This business won't fail just because one player leaves. We are heading into a new direction in indy, it's very exciting and we would love everyone's support but I understand some fans are going to take it personal but I guarantee once luck starts winning you will buy your bus pass and be right back on the bandwagon.

Go blue

Really? And what qb would the colts have drafted had they passed on manning that would have led them to a SB? As bad as the colts team is, would little brother have really been able to do that? The next #1 pick who won a SB. You are talking crazy to say since manning a qb could have led this mostly talent less, coach less team to even ONE SB!

If we would of passed on pm we would of been bad a few years but we would of got a diff qb and who is to say that he wouldn't of won 1 or more super bowls.

I'll say it right now. If we didn't have Peyton Manning this "team" would have a big goosegg for Superbowl wins in the past 12 seasons. In fact, we'd be bottom of the league terrible and miss the playoffs from 2006 onward.

2001-2005 a good enough QB may have been able to get to the playoffs since at least we had an offense. 2001-2002 the offense was good, but not great. 2003-2005 were the best years our offense had but we'd have never gotten past the Patriots/Steelers teams of those seasons in the playoffs. (If we even made the playoffs to begin with.)

Count our lucky stars we had the GOAT to do the lion's share of work for over a decade. Else we'd still be in the GOD AWFUL DARK AGES OF:

LATE 70's

to all 80's

to all 90's (sans '95/'96 Harbaugh had a mediocre year or two in there, at least. Also a 13-3 one led by PM in '99. 2000-2002 were mediocre to poor.

ONE. GUY.Took the reigns of the Colts offense and, after 3-4 seasons, became absurd.

Now he's gone. 2-14.

Really? And what qb would the colts have drafted had they passed on manning that would have led them to a SB? As bad as the colts team is, would little brother have really been able to do that? The next #1 pick who won a SB. You are talking crazy to say since manning a qb could have led this mostly talent less, coach less team to even ONE SB!

Its impossible to say how things would have turned out if circumstances were different. If they didnt have Peyton Manning, maybe the team has more depth...maybe their roster looks entirely different because they have more money to spread around...maybe they have a servicable quarterback but a better team and they win 3 Superbowls....we just dont know. Other teams DO win Superbowls with quarterbacks other than Peyton Manning...this entire franchise would have been different without him, you cant just take him alone away and say everything else would have been the same.

Its impossible to say how things would have turned out if circumstances were different. If they didnt have Peyton Manning, maybe the team has more depth...maybe their roster looks entirely different because they have more money to spread around...maybe they have a servicable quarterback but a better team and they win 3 Superbowls....we just dont know. Other teams DO win Superbowls with quarterbacks other than Peyton Manning...this entire franchise would have been different without him, you cant just take him alone away and say everything else would have been the same.

Yeah I can, because the colts had the same problems for years and they werent addressed. Leave the team the same and flop out qb's post manning, tell me what qb would lead this team to a SB? All top qb's get paid like top qb's, even little brother at one time was paid more, so do tell me who could have led the colts?

He is right, there is no way to know. I mean for all we know that if Leaf was picked by Indy and he didnt pan out, maybe Indy drafts Brady ahead of the Pats in round 6.

You never know, you cannot say for sure Indy would have stunk without question. Clearly Manning was crucial to this team, but it is still a TEAM.

Yeah I can, because the colts had the same problems for years and they werent addressed. Leave the team the same and flop out qb's post manning, tell me what qb would lead this team to a SB? All top qb's get paid like top qb's, even little brother at one time was paid more, so do tell me who could have led the colts?

My point is that you cant just 'flop out QB's'....the reality is that because Peyton Manning covered up the short comings of this team for so long, they were never addressed. Who's to say that if they had another quarterback all those years, everything wouldnt have been different??? From personnel, to coaching, to game planning, to the overall personality of the team. If the Colts never drafted Peyton Manning...theres no telling what else would be different.

I'll say it right now. If we didn't have Peyton Manning this "team" would have a big goosegg for Superbowl wins in the past 12 seasons. In fact, we'd be bottom of the league terrible and miss the playoffs from 2006 onward.

2001-2005 a good enough QB may have been able to get to the playoffs since at least we had an offense. 2001-2002 the offense was good, but not great. 2003-2005 were the best years our offense had but we'd have never gotten past the Patriots/Steelers teams of those seasons in the playoffs. (If we even made the playoffs to begin with.)

Count our lucky stars we had the GOAT to do the lion's share of work for over a decade. Else we'd still be in the GOD AWFUL DARK AGES OF:

LATE 70's

to all 80's

to all 90's (sans '95/'96 Harbaugh had a mediocre year or two in there, at least. Also a 13-3 one led by PM in '99. 2000-2002 were mediocre to poor.

ONE. GUY.Took the reigns of the Colts offense and, after 3-4 seasons, became absurd.

Now he's gone. 2-14.

It's pretty ignorant honestly to say if the colts didn't draft manning we wouldn't of won a super bowl. We would of been bad for a few years but we also would of been drafting early. There is absolutely no way to know one way or the other.

The Colts might have addressed positions that needed to improved. They might have ran an offense that a lesser quarterback could have success in. They might have had some lowly touted 5-6th round draft pick lead them to a bowl or two.

I'd still say it's the L.A. Colts at this point without Manning, but they could still maybe have a trophy or two.

Teams have won 44 Super Bowls with lesser quarterbacks before, and will again, starting on Sunday.

With this team? Heck no.

Now if we don't draft Manning and Polian actually assembles a competant squad of players that's a different story.

We wouldn't of built our team around one player and had better picks in the draft. The whole team would be diff. No way to know at all