Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it poor sportsmanship to try to freeze the kicker ?

digroute88

To be fair, the coach can do that on every play. They can wait to see how the defense lines up, then call a timeout, so you could argue that's bad sportsmanship too, since the team took the time to trek out there and show you their defensive look, lol.

I'll tell you what is bad sportsmanship though is Gronkowski acting like a child, but I digress.

No,  I don't think so.   It's all part of the plan  to try to win, and it's fair and square.

Unsportsmanslike is:  ~~  is pushing, shoving, cussing, throwing a punch, setting out to harm another player intentionally,  etc...  and so on.

I don't think it's unsportsmanlike.  I just don't think it works.  I think they've done studies that have confirmed this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_the_kicker

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/09/18/does-icing-kicker-work-numbers-say-it-doesnt-matter-with-game-on-line.html

But here is why I don't think it works. . . 

The kicker already knows ahead of time what the stakes are going into the kick.  He's already got the pressure on him.  Having him think about the pressure longer doesn't do anything.

Also consider that usually these kicks happen on a final drive. . . so the whole final drive the kicker has had the chance to think about the pressure when he's doing his practice kicks on the sidelines.  

Not poor sportsmanship. . . I just don't think it does any good.