Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rookie Quarterbacks

mrati2d

Are you suggesting that Andrew Luck runs the same offense as Tim Tebow? Really? I didn't say that RG3 would never succeed. I'm saying someone who plays in a pro style offense will have an advantage over someone who doesn't or only plays in a partial one. If Andrew Luck and Cam Newton were in the same draft, Luck would still be #1 overall. The one thing that is holding RG3 back is he has more to learn than Luck coming into the NFL. If Luck was not in this draft, RG3 would be the #1 QB taken without a doubt.

Thats what I was thinking. Thats not even close to being accurate or in the realm of reality. I want to see those who said they were in similar offenses because if somebody actually said that, they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you his agent? you dont know that

I should have reworded it differently. It is highly unlikely that Luck will partake in any drills except maybe the 40 yard dash. He will take the Wonderlic (im no combine expert) but going out there and throwing the ball will do nothing as he is almost cemented as being the #1 overall pick.

No he's not. Not even close. Once again, Griffin has never had to read defenses in college. He basically has no idea what he's going to be up against in the NFL. Griffin has relied on his athletisism in college regardless of whether you think he's a run first or pass first QB. His athletic ability is what made him successful in college and that is going to change in the NFL. In the NFL all the players are bigger, faster, and more athletic than what he's faced in college.

What you mean no he's not? the only person that has said that Griffin gets his plays and reads from upstairs was from an nfc team alleged to be from the redskins office... people have said that is untrue... which Griffin is why Griffin will attend the combine and have pro days to show that he can read defenses.. you saying he never had to read defenses is untrue..

One of the main reasons that Griffin is as good as he is right now is because he can throw and is pretty good at it.. other wise he wouldnt be considered a top 5 draft pick

I agree. Most Grffin supporters keep ignoring the fact that Griffin has never had to read defenses in college. The D coor. called every single play for him from the booth. Griffin is going to have to have a huge learning curve in the NFL and he's going to have to go to a team that will have a lot of patience with him. His legs are not going to save him in the NFL like they did against much weaker competition in college. With that said, it don't matter anyways. Im positive that the decision has already been made to draft Luck.

I'm not suggesting we take RG3, but the same was said about Cam Newton before this season and we see how good he's turned out to be. Don't write a QB off just because he didn't play in a conventional offense in college

Not even close.

"

Indianapolis became the first team to use a sight adjustment offense as their base scheme to win the Super Bowl. The spread formation became prevalent in all offenses. Jon Gruden ran his horizontal timing system from the spread, and Indianapolis ran the majority of its offense from the spread. Even New England, a team rooted in Erhardt-Perkins ball control, decided to run a spread passing attack that featured high-percentage short passing to control the ball."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/12/23/2611702/buffalo-bills-defense-43-34-running-game

I should have reworded it differently. It is highly unlikely that Luck will partake in any drills except maybe the 40 yard dash. He will take the Wonderlic (im no combine expert) but going out there and throwing the ball will do nothing as he is almost cemented as being the #1 overall pick.

In your previous post about tebow and Luck i was not saying they ran the same offense i was saying he was compared to tim tebow.. if Luck doesnt participate in the throwing he's eveutally gonna throw in his proday and for personal team visits... when you compare stats and how they get their balls to the WR's Griffin has the slight edge, he has a better ball...

Got nothing against Luck, any QB would be awesome for the colts but imo Griffin is the better QB.

"

Indianapolis became the first team to use a sight adjustment offense as their base scheme to win the Super Bowl. The spread formation became prevalent in all offenses. Jon Gruden ran his horizontal timing system from the spread, and Indianapolis ran the majority of its offense from the spread. Even New England, a team rooted in Erhardt-Perkins ball control, decided to run a spread passing attack that featured high-percentage short passing to control the ball."

http://www.buffaloru...34-running-game

"Spread offense" is a loosely used term nowadays. There are many types of spread offenses in football. RG3 runs more of a spread option offense. The Colts never ran this at any point under Manning. The Colts offense is more like an inverted "run and shoot" with the QB calling all the route and protection combinations.

"Spread offense" is a loosely used term nowadays. There are many types of spread offenses in football. RG3 runs more of a spread option offense. The Colts never ran this at any point under Manning. The Colts offense is more like an inverted "run and shoot" with the QB calling all the route and protection combinations.

To my recollection a spread offense is based on the shotgun.. of course there are hybrids but from what i saw griffin basically worked from the shotgun with some running plays introduced.

"

http://www.buffaloru...34-running-game

That is nothing like the spread offense that colleges use. Huge difference. Completely different concepts. Not to mention in accurate information. Gruden runs a hybrid WCO.

Comical

That is nothing like the spread offense that colleges use. Huge difference. Completely different concepts. Not to mention in accurate information. Gruden runs a hybrid WCO.

Comical

Says the expert

You do know what the spread offense is right? Basic fundamentals? If you don't

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_offense

Basically what Griffin ran but they implemented their own taste to the philosophy.

And a hybrid west coast offense doesn't mean gruden didn't run a spread offense hence the word hybrid

Says the expert

You do know what the spread offense is right? Basic fundamentals? If you don't

http://en.m.wikipedi.../Spread_offense

Basically what Griffin ran but they implemented their own taste to the philosophy.

And a hybrid west coast offense doesn't mean gruden didn't run a spread offense hence the word hybrid

Again, there is a college spread offense, and then there are pro offenses that spread the receivers out. They are two completely different concepts. So yes I know the difference between the two. Are you sure you do?

Gruden ran more of a WCO as opposed to the spread. Hybrid WCO that Gruden ran is because he added the bunch set to it that Reid/Holmgren/Walsh didn't have. He also put in some shotgun but it most certainly wasn't a college spread offense.

Griffin did run a hybrid college/spread, but that is nothing like what anyone runs in the NFL outside of Denver have some college/spread like packages for Tebow.

Again, there is huge difference in the two. The Colts do not run anything that resembles the college spread outside of Manning being in the gun and 3 to 4 WR. The running concepts are different, the passing concepts are different, they aren't even cousins.

I do commend you for attempting to gain more knowledge. I'm not sure wikipedia would be the source that I would choose, but it's the thought that counts right?

Again, there is a college spread offense, and then there are pro offenses that spread the receivers out. They are two completely different concepts. So yes I know the difference between the two. Are you sure you do?

Gruden ran more of a WCO as opposed to the spread. Hybrid WCO that Gruden ran is because he added the bunch set to it that Reid/Holmgren/Walsh didn't have. He also put in some shotgun but it most certainly wasn't a college spread offense.

Griffin did run a hybrid college/spread, but that is nothing like what anyone runs in the NFL outside of Denver have some college/spread like packages for Tebow.

Again, there is huge difference in the two. The Colts do not run anything that resembles the college spread outside of Manning being in the gun and 3 to 4 WR. The running concepts are different, the passing concepts are different, they aren't even cousins.

I do commend you for attempting to gain more knowledge. I'm not sure wikipedia would be the source that I would choose, but it's the thought that counts right?

Lol you make it sound like we're comparing chocolate milk with macaroni.. the QB may not be scrambling in the NFL but Tom Brady used the spread offense when moss was on the pats... the whole point is to "spread" the defense out... hence the word spread.. im sure if teams werent using the spread or some form of it they wouldnt be calling it the spread...

Lol you make it sound like we're comparing chocolate milk with macaroni.. the QB may not be scrambling in the NFL but Tom Brady used the spread offense when moss was on the pats... the whole point is to "spread" the defense out... hence the word spread.. im sure if teams werent using the spread or some form of it they wouldnt be calling it the spread...

You're not getting it.

Spread offense is two different type of offenses at the two levels. "Spread" in the NFL is not the same as "spread" in College. The closest thing that comes to the spread offense in college currently being used in the NFL is what Denver does with Tebow. You are assuming they are one singular offense when they are not.

College spread =/= NFL spread. Two different things.

The college spread and the Patriots/Colts offense is about like chocolate milk and macaroni. It's not chocolate milk vs. gatorade, or macroni and ziti. They are that different.

In the simplistic use of the word spread, yes the both can spread the teams out but that is where it stops. Again, and I hate repeating myself but maybe it will help. Again, there is huge difference in the two. The Colts do not run anything that resembles the college spread outside of Manning being in the gun and 3 to 4 WR. The running concepts are different, the passing concepts are different, they aren't even cousins.

I've never heard the Colts in 3-4-5 wide referred to the spread, because when people talk about the spread offense, it's the college offense.

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/12/florida-gatorurban-meyer-offense.html

http://www.thespreadoffense.com/

You will see nothing that resembles what the Colts do offensively.

Enjoy

I don't think you can use Peyton Manning as the base line for starting rookies on day one. He was way ahead of anyone before him and probably anyone to come in the near future, at least not until Marshall declares. Have you seen this kid? Somebody post his picture, got HOF QB written all over him. Anyway, A rookie starting for the Colts now may have a better chance of becoming David Carr then he does Peyton Manning. He may get the confidence beaten right out of him and become a gun shy perennial loser.

The college spread and the Patriots/Colts offense is about like chocolate milk and macaroni. It's not chocolate milk vs. gatorade, or macroni and ziti. They are that different.

In the simplistic use of the word spread, yes the both can spread the teams out but that is where it stops. Again, and I hate repeating myself but maybe it will help. Again, there is huge difference in the two. The Colts do not run anything that resembles the college spread outside of Manning being in the gun and 3 to 4 WR. The running concepts are different, the passing concepts are different, they aren't even cousins.

I've never heard the Colts in 3-4-5 wide referred to the spread, because when people talk about the spread offense, it's the college offense.

http://smartfootball...er-offense.html

http://www.thespreadoffense.com/

You will see nothing that resembles what the Colts do offensively.

Enjoy

Ok im gonna make this really simple.. baylor runs a spread offense which requires you to run it in the SHOTGUN, as is all spread formations or spread offenses.

Not every spread offense is the same, just like you cant compare brady's spread offense with the gators offense because of the way the coach designed his offense... but that does not negate the fact that the spread offense is still a form of the ORIGINAL spread offense.. meaning shotgun, 3-5 WR's drop back and pass... if you want another example look at the packers offense with Rodgers.. they run the spread offense but with their own style.

The colts on the other hand ran the spread offense but in a different way, there are a plenty ways to run the offense.

And you do not throw the ball any different than you would throw the ball in any other formation...

ANY team can build their offense on another scheme... that doesnt mean that what its called will change, they just leave some plays out.

Ok im gonna make this really simple.. baylor runs a spread offense which requires you to run it in the SHOTGUN, as is all spread formations or spread offenses.

Not every spread offense is the same, just like you cant compare brady's spread offense with the gators offense because of the way the coach designed his offense... but that does not negate the fact that the spread offense is still a form of the ORIGINAL spread offense.. meaning shotgun, 3-5 WR's drop back and pass... if you want another example look at the packers offense with Rodgers.. they run the spread offense but with their own style.

The colts on the other hand ran the spread offense but in a different way, there are a plenty ways to run the offense.

And you do not throw the ball any different than you would throw the ball in any other formation...

ANY team can build their offense on another scheme... that doesnt mean that what its called will change, they just leave some plays out.

What part of the Colts do not run the college spread offense do you fail to understand. Repeat 100 times if necessary. Done!

Just won't give up on the Griffin thing huh? LOL At least you stick to your guns even though most everybody on the board disagrees with you. If the Colts take Griffin I think everybody on this board should buy you a drink(or Coke).... :)

I think it's very possible the Colts take RGIII rather than Luck. When Irsay announced Grigson, one of the things he mentioned (and this is all a paraphrase)was he enjoyed talking with a lot of different people and getting their thoughts on the direction they think the NFL is going with different philosophies. And then he hires a guy who was involved in personnel for a team that had a "new" type of running QB offensive system. IMO, RGIII seems like Vick, but with more accuracy, work ethic and drive to succeed. If St. Louis wants Luck, which a lot of people think they do, according to the NFL Draft Pick Value Chart, the Colts could trade their 1st and 34th pick(Value 3560) to St. Louis for their 1st, 33, 66 and 97 (Value 3552). That would serve two purposes, one Colts could get RGIII (if that is who they want), swapping out 2nd rounders won't make a huge difference but then picking up back to back 3rd and back to back 4th would be great.

What part of the Colts do not run the college spread offense do you fail to understand. Repeat 100 times if necessary. Done!

wow... Ok if you look back you will see i never said the colts ran a COLLEGE spread offense, ok so i have no idea where your getting that from.

The colts ran a spread offense.. its not college but it was a spread offense. Just like the pats did

http://joeweisel.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-bust-some-myths-about-spread.html

FireJim and Smitto - the last thing I should do is jump in the middle of this, since you seem to be having so much fun, but I can't resist. Let me preface this by saying I have thoroughly enjoyed posts from both of you, so should you kick me to the curb to work this out without interference, I will get out of the way.

You are both right, and both wrong in my opinion. If you take a literal spread offense definition, at the base it is 4 WRs, single RB, and nearly always includes motion, in order to identify coverage, and provide space. The Colts do not run this at all. Rarely do the Colts use motion, nor do they line 4 WRS up. On the other hand, Dilger, Clark, and Tamme provided a hybrid, and match-up problems, and today's NFL TE is vastly different than the ones used even 10 years ago.

The Colts in 2010 ran something like 74% of their plays out of the shotgun, and always single back, so at the core, you could absolutely argue it is a spread. A hybrid for sure.

I found this description, and history of the spread online, and thought it was fitting, especially since it gets into many variations and coaches who ran it. It also gets into Ryan Leaf, and the incredible success he and Mike Price had when they ran it - the year Leaf became noticed, and earned his #2 draft spot.

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-original-one-back-spread-offense

Washington State in 1997/8 ran an offense much more like Baylor did last year than the Colts have since Tom Moore's offense was instituted in Indy. Perhaps lost in this conversation is the fact that Clyde Christensen, still employed by the Colts, is not a disciple of Tom Moore - he came from Tampa due to working with Dungy after ACC stints at Clemson, Maryland, and other colleges, like East Carolina. His background is not spread exclusive. To assume CC is committed, or somehow entrenched in a spread, or hybrid spread, or check-with-me shotgun, or Peyton Manning offense is, I think, wrong. The Colts, for the first time in ages had a FB on the roster, and used him last year. Assuming the Colts, even with CC still employed, remain a spread, or hybrid spread, is not remotely evident. It is Manning, his success and greatness that made CC "run" whatever you want to call the Colts offense. This thread is about a rookie QBs and how and when to use them. You are both right about your descriptions of a spread, but we've wandered past a critical point, which is the assumption that CC will keep Peyton's offense not only without Peyton, but with whichever rookie QB we draft.

FireJim and Smitto - the last thing I should do is jump in the middle of this, since you seem to be having so much fun, but I can't resist. Let me preface this by saying I have thoroughly enjoyed posts from both of you, so should you kick me to the curb to work this out without interference, I will get out of the way.

You are both right, and both wrong in my opinion. If you take a literal spread offense definition, at the base it is 4 WRs, single RB, and nearly always includes motion, in order to identify coverage, and provide space. The Colts do not run this at all. Rarely do the Colts use motion, nor do they line 4 WRS up. On the other hand, Dilger, Clark, and Tamme provided a hybrid, and match-up problems, and today's NFL TE is vastly different than the ones used even 10 years ago.

The Colts in 2010 ran something like 74% of their plays out of the shotgun, and always single back, so at the core, you could absolutely argue it is a spread. A hybrid for sure.

I found this description, and history of the spread online, and thought it was fitting, especially since it gets into many variations and coaches who ran it. It also gets into Ryan Leaf, and the incredible success he and Mike Price had when they ran it - the year Leaf became noticed, and earned his #2 draft spot.

http://smartfootball...-spread-offense

Washington State in 1997/8 ran an offense much more like Baylor did last year than the Colts have since Tom Moore's offense was instituted in Indy. Perhaps lost in this conversation is the fact that Clyde Christensen, still employed by the Colts, is not a disciple of Tom Moore - he came from Tampa due to working with Dungy after ACC stints at Clemson, Maryland, and other colleges, like East Carolina. His background is not spread exclusive. To assume CC is committed, or somehow entrenched in a spread, or hybrid spread, or check-with-me shotgun, or Peyton Manning offense is, I think, wrong. The Colts, for the first time in ages had a FB on the roster, and used him last year. Assuming the Colts, even with CC still employed, remain a spread, or hybrid spread, is not remotely evident. It is Manning, his success and greatness that made CC "run" whatever you want to call the Colts offense. This thread is about a rookie QBs and how and when to use them. You are both right about your descriptions of a spread, but we've wandered past a critical point, which is the assumption that CC will keep Peyton's offense not only without Peyton, but with whichever rookie QB we draft.

Lol yea we have gotten way off topic, without looking back at the OP i couldnt even remember what the thread was actually about. A part of me actually wants Luck to be taken by the colts instead of griffin for the simple fact that it would be a much safer and more boring pick.. but the other part likes griffin for the fact that he's exciting, very athletic and has alot of potential

After the superbowl all eyes will stay on indy so im sure some articles are gonna stir up the Luck Vs Griffin thing.

To my recollection a spread offense is based on the shotgun.. of course there are hybrids but from what i saw griffin basically worked from the shotgun with some running plays introduced.

The spread offense is not synonymous with the shotgun. The "greatest show on turf" Rams ran a spread style offense where almost 90% of their snaps came from under center. The original "run and shoot" was also a spread offense where alot of the snaps came from under center. A spread offense is simply the use of 4 or more receivers, split wide and lined up in the slots, forcing the defense to spread out.

There are many different types of spread offenses, however, which was the original point. Griffin did not play in an offense anything like the Colts at Baylor, and just because both offenses use multiple receivers does not make them the same, or even similar. The Colts stay in a base 3 wide, single back formation, with little to no motion, for the most part. They have no read option plays, and the Qb has much more of a burden in the Colts offense than any other offense, ever. To think that Griffin could slide right in and pick it up because he's familiar with the college spread -- which, as already stated, is nothing like the spread run in the pros -- is myopic.

The spread offense is not synonymous with the shotgun. The "greatest show on turf" Rams ran a spread style offense where almost 90% of their snaps came from under center. The original "run and shoot" was also a spread offense where alot of the snaps came from under center. A spread offense is simply the use of 4 or more receivers, split wide and lined up in the slots, forcing the defense to spread out.

There are many different types of spread offenses, however, which was the original point. Griffin did not play in an offense anything like the Colts at Baylor, and just because both offenses use multiple receivers does not make them the same, or even similar. The Colts stay in a base 3 wide, single back formation, with little to no motion, for the most part. They have no read option plays, and the Qb has much more of a burden in the Colts offense than any other offense, ever. To think that Griffin could slide right in and pick it up because he's familiar with the college spread -- which, as already stated, is nothing like the spread run in the pros -- is myopic.

Im not gonna say the spread offense is only based on the shotgun because yea you can also be under center.. but i will say it agian i never said griffin played in an offense like the colts ok..

the colts did not only play in a 3WR set they also played 4WR with Dallas as one..

Ive seen alot of baylor games and some of the plays used in the spread formation are used in the pros to say they arent is false because some are just play action and pass and catch.

I will say this... if the colts did run the spread formation like they did when peyton threw for 49TD's and griffin did come on this team he would be very comfortable with it... obviously playing in the shotgun is the easiest for most QB's

XTRA 910 Arizona's Mike Jurecki reports former Steelers OC Bruce Arians is expected to accept the same position in Indianapolis.

Jurecki likely has the news because Arians was under consideration to be the Cardinals QBs coach. A notoriously pass-first play-caller, Arians would be an intriguing mentor for presumptive No. 1 pick Stanford QB Andrew Luck. Coincidentally, rumors surfaced Saturday that former Colts coach Jim Caldwell was meeting with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin with regards to replacing Arians.

What you mean no he's not? the only person that has said that Griffin gets his plays and reads from upstairs was from an nfc team alleged to be from the redskins office... people have said that is untrue... which Griffin is why Griffin will attend the combine and have pro days to show that he can read defenses.. you saying he never had to read defenses is untrue..

One of the main reasons that Griffin is as good as he is right now is because he can throw and is pretty good at it.. other wise he wouldnt be considered a top 5 draft pick

Here's an article for you to read. I'll highlight a couple of quotes.

"They don't call plays in the huddle. They walk to the line, the play comes from upstairs to the sideline, and it's signaled in," said one NFC executive. "The coordinator upstairs is reading the defense, (Griffin) is not doing that at all. And in the NFL, you're going to have to be the one reading the defense. You have to know what's going on at all times. And you have to get him under center, taking 3-, 5- and 7-step drops."

This don't allegedly come from the Redskins FO, and even if it did, who cares? They still know way more than you.

Here's the one that more important.

Another NFC exec said, "It's a very good system, and they've done a heck of a job recruiting for it. ... But it's simple, and he'll have to adjust. He's really smart, accepted to law school and all that, but it'll be an adjustment. … You're not gonna come in and put him in a Peyton [Manning] offense."

Here's another just for fun.

"That offense made things simple on him," said the scout. "Because he's such a running threat, he saw soft coverage, you didn't see defensive ends bending the corner to get him. They played him different to keep him in the pocket, and as a result, he got passing lanes he may not get in the pros. It's a problem, because he's got average-to-below-average size. The Vick comparison is there, because you figure he'll miss games (due to injury), but you can't tell him not to run, because that's what makes him special."

The scout continued that, "There's gonna be a significant development period. Him moreso than anyone. You can't fault him for what they didn't ask him to do. I think he's capable of it. But it's natural as a talent evaluator to want to see it."

So again your assessment is nothing more than your opinion and certainly not the consensus amongst those who actually know what they're talking about.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254ff24/article/with-barkley-now-out-of-picture-attention-turns-to-griffin

I think when the Combine is here and they will be there for height and weigh in info (I agree they'll likely not participate in drills), tests, etc. the news will be similar to what I've been reading at the Senior Bowl with Kellen Moore and Russell Wilson. I'm thinking Griffin is going to be shorter that his college height listed. That may or may not scare some people away. Regardless, if they don't pick Luck, I will be highly disappointed. He's going to be solid. Of course, Irsay might decide to pass on him because everyone says it's a given he's taking Luck. He's gone against the grain with his GM and coach pick. Good thing his season ticket campaign will be over before the draft.

Interesting fact about QB's to be selected in the first round. Since 1990, only two first overall picks have gone on to win a Superbowl. Peyton and Eli Manning.

That is interesting and it's a big reason why there is now a rookie salary cap, because there have been too many 1st overall QBs that have been like Russell or Vick or Couch, etc.

Yes, but if you expand that beyond 1990 to the entire history of SBs:

24 of the 45 SBs were won by teams led by 1st round QBs.

The comment was #1 overall picks... When you expand it to the history of the Super Bowl, you have the Manning's, Aikman, Bradshaw, are the only ones that won with the team that drafted them. Bledsoe if you count his as a back up, and Plunkett & Elway with a different team.

The comment was #1 overall picks... When you expand it to the history of the Super Bowl, you have the Manning's, Aikman, Bradshaw, are the only ones that won with the team that drafted them. Bledsoe if you count his as a back up, and Plunkett & Elway with a different team.

Noted.

However, if you're going to put Elway in the category of a different team that drafted him, you should move Eli to that category too.